Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,852 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
Sid Farkas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Aww crap. Young failed UDub too:

http://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/uws-performance-is-up-so-why-is-its-u-s-news-ranking-down/

Wondering if anyone read the article:

quote:
The drop would seem to say as much about the idiosyncrasies of college-ratings systems as it does about the UW's performance, which by other metrics seems to be on the upswing

See? These ratings systems are not bullet proof. Anyone with a political agenda (or poor reading skills) can easily use them to mislead people
Hoss Bronco
AG
This is just one of many things Sharp is screwing up.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Yep. And most people don't realize he's the cause of rush hour traffic...and AIDS...
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Yep. And most people don't realize he's the cause of rush hour traffic...and AIDS...

Ironically enough, he actually is responsible for the awful traffic in college station.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ironically enough, he actually is responsible for the awful traffic in college station.
Told ya! Plus AMA says he's responsible for lower back pain and psoriasis.
koadie
AG
I'm cool with being the largest university in the state. But we should never be over 50000. My degree was worth something when I graduated 4 years ago. It was a top 20 university. If there are 80000 students my degree will not be worth much
StringerBell
AG
MaysGrad09
quote:
University leaders admit they still have a long way to go. Last year, more than half of Texas school children were Hispanic. And A&M's student body is still far whiter than Texas overall. A&M is 59 percent white, compared to UT-Austin, which is 45 percent white.

Wow. I believe A&M was around 75% white when I was in school 10 years ago. It's changing rapidly. I read that the incoming class is 25% hispanic. I imagine A&M will lose its conservative reputation with those demographics.

Edit: It was two years ago that the incoming class was 25% hispanic. I'd bet it's higher now.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

quote:
I read that the incoming class is 25% hispanic. I imagine A&M will lose its conservative reputation with those demographics.
Have you spent time on other college campuses with larger minority populations? I doubt you see much obvious cultural change that isn't already under way.
MaysGrad09
quote:

quote:
I read that the incoming class is 25% hispanic. I imagine A&M will lose its conservative reputation with those demographics.
Have you spent time on other college campuses with larger minority populations? I doubt you see much obvious cultural change that isn't already under way.

What do you mean?
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:
Aww crap. Young failed UDub too:

http://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/uws-performance-is-up-so-why-is-its-u-s-news-ranking-down/

Wondering if anyone read the article:

quote:
The drop would seem to say as much about the idiosyncrasies of college-ratings systems as it does about the UW's performance, which by other metrics seems to be on the upswing

See? These ratings systems are not bullet proof. Anyone with a political agenda (or poor reading skills) can easily use them to mislead people

If you read my post, right above your's, you'd see that yep, at least one of us actually read the article.

No one has ever said the rankings are bullet proof.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
No one has ever said the rankings aren't bullet proof.

Well. No one actually used the term 'bullet proof' if that's what you mean. there's no mistaking that's what was inferred tho. Not at all
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
quote:

Well. No one actually used the term 'bullet proof' if that's what you mean. there's no mistaking that's what was inferred tho. Not at all

Whatever. I don't think so. But address the substantive point I made that it doesn't appear we dropped because of a weird idiosyncrasy...

You seem to hardly be reading our comments, yet qualified to tell us what we're inferring.
cecil77
AG
LOL. I've specifically stated in this thread that the rankings are not everything , but also aren't nothing. Sid, it's clear that YOU are one of the ones whose primary motivation in this is political, namely your support of Sharp.
TXAggie2011
AG
Excellent point.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Due to the last two posts, it's finally time to quote George Carlin
quote:
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Huh? I directly refuted your assertion about the rankings being given "everything".
Frankie T
So we've only got 9 more years to wait?
Captain Augustus McCrae
So UT is 45% white now and A&M is 59% and falling. Diversity at these institutions was inevitable with the demographic makeup of Texas. So why do we still have the top 10% law?

quote:
With Thursday's U.S. Supreme Courtdecision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, an eight-year legal fight over affirmative action at UT-Austin has finally ended. But the battle over race and admissions at one of the state's two flagship universities is just getting started.
That's because for years, the diversity issue that has provoked the most passion among Texas parents and legislators has been the state's Top 10 Percent Rule, not affirmative action. And a growing number of state lawmakers are expressing a desire to tweak or repeal the higher education admissions rule designed to help black and Hispanic students at poor-performing inner-city high schools during next year's legislative session.
"There is quite a bit of chatter about it" among legislators, said state Rep. John Zerwas, R-Richmond, the chairman of the House Higher Education Committee, who personally doesn't like the rule. State Sen. Kel Seliger, Zerwas' Senate counterpart, called the Top 10 Percent Rule a potential example of "big government."
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06/23/could-scotus-ruling-help-end-top-10-percent-rule/
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:

Rankings matter.
TAMU bball fan
quote:
So UT is 45% white now and A&M is 59% and falling. Diversity at these institutions was inevitable with the demographic makeup of Texas. So why do we still have the top 10% law?

quote:
With Thursday's U.S. Supreme Courtdecision in Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin, an eight-year legal fight over affirmative action at UT-Austin has finally ended. But the battle over race and admissions at one of the state's two flagship universities is just getting started.
That's because for years, the diversity issue that has provoked the most passion among Texas parents and legislators has been the state's Top 10 Percent Rule, not affirmative action. And a growing number of state lawmakers are expressing a desire to tweak or repeal the higher education admissions rule designed to help black and Hispanic students at poor-performing inner-city high schools during next year's legislative session.
"There is quite a bit of chatter about it" among legislators, said state Rep. John Zerwas, R-Richmond, the chairman of the House Higher Education Committee, who personally doesn't like the rule. State Sen. Kel Seliger, Zerwas' Senate counterpart, called the Top 10 Percent Rule a potential example of "big government."
https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06/23/could-scotus-ruling-help-end-top-10-percent-rule/

UT will get an exemption during the next session. It sounds like A&M will not.
MaysGrad09
Texas A&M dominates in race for new governor's grant

quote:
Texas A&M University, the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Houston will be awarded more than $34 million and bring in 10 new researchers under a new higher education grant program, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday.

Of the three schools, A&M was awarded the vast majority of the grants $20.7 million to bring in five new researchers.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Texas A&M dominates in race for new governor's grant

quote:
Texas A&M University, the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Houston will be awarded more than $34 million and bring in 10 new researchers under a new higher education grant program, Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday.

Of the three schools, A&M was awarded the vast majority of the grants $20.7 million to bring in five new researchers.

Way to go Sharp...there you go destroying the university again
cecil77
AG
Sid, your texags persona is very unpleasant.

Of course good news is celebrated. And if Sharp takes some arrows, he gets some accolades, too.

Your schtick is getting old, especially so long as you remain anonymous.

Cecil Albrecht
Boerne, Texas
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
I haven't read any of the posts on this thread, but I wish that Staff would lock it. Tired of seeing the topic keep getting moved to the front page.
TAMU bball fan
[url=https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX][/url]
quote:
Greg Abbott @GregAbbott_TX Jul 21

I'm also working to help the University of Houston be elite off the field by attracting top researchers. @UHouston
[url=https://twitter.com/UHouston][/url]

Elevating UH to tier 1 means A&M can stop growing enrollment and can be more selective.
SEC 2012
Young makes over a million dollars a year. Why??

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/17/three-top-four-highest-paid-university-executives-/
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
[url=https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX][/url]Elevating UH to tier 1 means A&M can stop growing enrollment and can be more selective.

The growth in size and reputation of UH and UT-Dallas in engineering makes the 25 by 25 plan make less and less sense. UH is spending a lot of money to grow its mechanical and petroleum engineering programs.
Texas A & M

UNT Dallas wants to make law school less elitist - and that could be its downfall

Sound familiar?
quote:
The UNT Dallas College of Law tried something different. They welcomed a diverse group of students, many with grit but not the grades or test scores to get into top law schools. They kept tuition low to avoid six-figure debt.

But that plan will succeed only if students graduate, pass the bar exam and find jobs. A key group with the American Bar Association doubts UNT Dallas can pull it off, and has recommended that the school not be accredited.

Over $100 million of tax payer money has been wasted on a school that will likely never be accredited.
MaysGrad09
quote:
Young makes over a million dollars a year. Why??

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/17/three-top-four-highest-paid-university-executives-/

The bigger A&M gets the more they get paid. Sharp's salary doubled to $1.3 million a year. No wonder he's pushing for 80,000 students.

http://wtaw.com/2015/09/24/details-of-texas-am-system-chancellors-contract-extension/
AggieCVQ
WGAF? Let the school fall academically. It's called learning the hard way. Derete staph
95_Aggie
AG
We are getting closer
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Tex. (KBTX) - Texas A&M has set another enrollment record.
Overall, the university has 66,426 students for the Fall 2016 semester, according to 20th class day statistics. That number includes the Galveston branch campus, along with the colleges of medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, public health and law.
There are 60,979 on the College Station campus alone.
TXAggie2011
AG
2464 students added to the College Station campus compared to 2015 (58,515), or a growth rate of 4.21% over the year.

Looking at the last 5 years, since 2011, enrollment in College Station has increased by 11,118 students. That is a 22.30% increase since 2011.

Returning to the original point of the article, adding 11118 students every 5 years would send enrollment in College Station to 83,215 in 10 years. Growing by 22.30% every 5 years would send enrollment to 91208 students in College Station. Growing by 4.21% every year would send enrollment to 91103.

Suffices to say, if they do not intend to grow enrollment to 80,000 students (in College Station, yet alone including Galveston, the Law School, etc.) within the next 10 years, they will need to dramatically slow growth.
The Collective
AG
And very little updates to infrastructure. Glad I don't live in Bryan/College Station....
Captain Augustus McCrae
Quote:

Texas A&M University has hit a record-high fall enrollment of 66,426 students, school officials announced Thursday.

Of that figure, 60,979 students are on the College Station campus.

Overall enrollment is up by nearly 3,000 students, including 2,464 at the College Station campus.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/record-number-enrolled-at-texas-a-m/article_1c45d4a5-0ccc-5386-a1ed-63013b516aac.html
Texas A & M
Nothing changes until people stop showing up to football games and giving money

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.