Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,839 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Competition spurs progress, right? We slid into a strong athletic, weaker engineering conference like a bull into water in July. Our athletics are moving up, and I doubt the rest of the conference is going to let Dwight Look stay at the top forever.

This is silly. It's like suggesting our athletic department move to a weaker conference to bring up the level of competition of the other schools.

quote:
it seems Purdue is leading us at the moment, but the SEC and BIG 10 each have 2 of the top 10 in Agriculture.
You obviously shouldn't count A&M in the SEC total if we're considering which conference A&M is a better fit for. And the Big 10 has 3, not 2.

Ag Schools in Top 10:
Big 10 - 3 (Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska)
ACC - 2 (NC State, VA Tech)
Big 12 -1 (Iowa State)
Ivy League - 1 (Cornell)
SEC -1 (Florida)

quote:
Texas is not urbanizing... the urbans are migrating this way and they'll starve when they pave it over.
1) We can't have a serious discussion about this if you're not willing to accept facts.
2) It sounds like you're unable to be objective about the urbanization of Texas. Maybe it's a personal bias from having grown up in an area that's been negatively affected by it, but regardless, it's happening. Google it and accept it.

In summary, I'm still not sure how you could objectively conclude with facts that the college of engineering and ag are better fits in the SEC. If anything, the engineering program would benefit from being in the Pac 12 and the ag program in the Big 10.
TAMU bball fan
The biggest colleges in Spring '15 by enrollment:

1) Engineering - 24.8%
2) Liberal Arts - 14.2%
3) Ag & Life Sciences - 14.1%
4) Education - 12.1%
5) Mays Business School 10.5%

http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student#enrollment
Captain Augustus McCrae
We're more a liberal arts college now than an Ag school. Huh.

I wonder if this is the first time liberal arts moved to the number 2 spot.
TAMU bball fan
Liberal Arts has been No. 2 for a while now for undergrad. The numbers above are combined undergrad and grad, so it's pretty significant.

quote:
The College of Liberal Arts has the largest collegiate faculty on campus with 306 faculty members and, with 6,883 students, has the second largest enrollment at Texas A&M, behind the Dwight Look College of Engineering. The college houses 12 departments and offers both discipline-specific and interdisciplinary degrees in 44 degree programs, including 23 bachelors, 11 masters, and 10 Ph.D. degrees. The college has a living alumni base of 33,000 graduates, 61% of whom have graduated since 1990.

Departments and majorsInterdisciplinary majors
Link
biobioprof
quote:
The biggest colleges in Spring '15 by enrollment:

1) Engineering - 24.8%
2) Liberal Arts - 14.2%
3) Ag & Life Sciences - 14.1%
4) Education - 12.1%
5) Mays Business School 10.5%

http://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student#enrollment
Those are totals for grad and undergrad. For undergrad only the gap between Liberal Arts and Ag increases:
Spring 15 (page 3 is College Station only) I added Science and Vet Med (mostly BIMS, I would guess)
Engineering - 23.5%
Liberal Arts - 15.9%
Ag & Life Sciences - 14.7
Education - 12.1%
Mays Business - 10.7%
Science - 5.5%
Vet Med - 4.4%

I was curious about how it changes between semesters.
Fall 14
Engineering - 23.6%
Liberal Arts - 15.2%
Ag & Life Sciences - 14.7
Education - 11.9%
Mays Business - 10.8%
Science - 6.2%
Vet Med - 4.6%

As I suspected, there is a net shift from STEM to non-STEM majors, with Business also losing some majors. COALS is flat, but it would be interesting to see the numbers by department and year. I would guess that the changes are due to students who came in hoping to do STEM, but who bailed out when they got their first college grades. As a fraction of total majors this effect is strongest in the College of Science.
TexasRebel
AG
Sure...

I grew up in College Station. I'd say it's been affected negatively by the geometric increase in enrollment.

Enrollment be damned (let's look at graduation rate as well). Don't forget some degrees that are in two colleges... Between COALS and Dwight Look, I doubt they are on that list twice. Ag Engineering is probably not counted appropriately. Ag Business might not be either. I'm not sure if that's part of Mays though.

Still. Is there a college or department at TAMU that doesn't work together with COALS somehow?
Ross Street
So A&M is a bigger Liberal Arts school than UT now? My how things have changed.
Ross Street
I imagine the liberal arts college will get even bigger when a large percentage of the engineering majors brought in with the 25 X 25 initiative are weeded out and change majors to liberal arts.

Texas A&M: Leaders in Liberal Arts
Psych
AG
I wonder how those numbers would change if Econ was taken out of Liberal Arts and put into Mays (which despite what some people think, It's where I believe the degree belongs)
Tango Mike
quote:
I wonder how those numbers would change if Econ was taken out of Liberal Arts and put into Mays (which despite what some people think, It's where I believe the degree belongs)

Why? Economics is a social science, not a business discipline
VanZandt92
Acronyms
Swing Your Saber
I agree. Culturally & in non-academic professional application economics is a much better fit w/business, math, & statistics than liberal arts. I fully understand that it is a liberal art, but if it walks like a duck, & tastes like a duck...
MSCAg
AG
80,000 is too many. As others have said, CS doesn't have the infrastructure to support that. Sharp's comments make me want to buy property in CS, because if there ever is 80,000 students, rent will go sky high.

This really tired into bigger issues about do we really need every person in America to have a college degree. Personally, I think people that believe like Sharp will lead to the college degree being the equivalent of a high school degree in the 70s.

Cap it at 45,000 now and perhaps a 5-year review where new caps are indexed to population growth of Texas.
biobioprof
quote:
Degree profile (pdf)

Moving Econ majors wouldn't change the college rankings much. Biggest majors in Liberal Arts are Communications and English. Econ is much smaller than those two.

Edit to add: Econ < Spanish
MSCAg
AG
80,000 is too many. As others have said, CS doesn't have the infrastructure to support that. Sharp's comments make me want to buy property in CS, because if there ever is 80,000 students, rent will go sky high.

This really tired into bigger issues about do we really need every person in America to have a college degree. Personally, I think people that believe like Sharp will lead to the college degree being the equivalent of a high school degree in the 70s.

Cap it at 45,000 now and perhaps a 5-year review where new caps are indexed to population growth of Texas.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:

This needs to be posted about once per day on this thread:

No one has ever suggested raising student enrollment to 80k. That number represents a math/analysis error on the part of OP. Hth
Captain Augustus McCrae
Is 25 by 25 a math error too? That's 14,000 more students alone (25k -11k). So If the other colleges had ZERO growth over the next 10 years, A&M would still grow to 73,000
students (58k enrolled right now).

If current growth continues, it'll easily be more than 80,000 students in 10 years. 80,000 is a conservative estimate.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Is 25 by 25 a math error too? That's 14,000 more students alone (25k -11k). So If the other colleges had ZERO growth over the next 10 years, A&M would still grow to 73,000

If current growth continues, it'll easily be more than 80,000 students in 10 years. 80,000 is a conservative estimate.
OP wrote this:

quote:
Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring and that enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.

...with a thumbs down emoji.

Sharp never said that. That's the untruth that unleashed the mob of mouth-breathing anti-sharp clowns. You can make all kinds of assertions u want now...but be aware that you're just piling on a thread that is nothing more than an anti sharp screed based on an untruth. (But hey, who needs facts when all you're here to do is make sharp look bad?)
Ridge14
You've been with Sharp every minute to know everything he has said?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
You've been with Sharp every minute to know everything he has said?
U think he must've said it because no one can prove that he didn't? new level of stupidity.
cecil77
AG
quote:

Sid, please comment on this analysis. Thx
Ranger1743
AG
In my four years, A&M went from 48,000 to 62,000. At that rate we'll hit 97,000 in 10 years. Yikes.
Lateralus Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

OP wrote this:

quote:
Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring and that enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.

Sharp never said that. That's the untruth that unleashed the mob of mouth-breathing anti-sharp clowns. You can make all kinds of assertions u want now...but be aware that you're just piling on a thread that is nothing more than an anti sharp screed based on an untruth. (But hey, who needs facts when all you're here to do is make sharp look bad?)

He doesn't need our help.
gopgabe
AG
quote:
quote:

OP wrote this:

quote:

Did you read his post though? (Of course not.)

73,000 without any growth in any other major. Uh, and let me tell ya, the school's gonna grow because earlier someone had posted, with a link to the interview, that they'll accept about 10,000 a year.

Sorry for you sheet for brains (you Sid), but even if they only grew a little, 76-78k isn't that far off from 80k. Or are you missing the point entirely?
MaysGrad09
quote:
@AggieOutfitters: PRES HUSSEY: 54,500 expected students this fall. First freshman class with > 10k, 25% are first generation college student, 25% Hispanic

This tweet was sent exactly a year ago. I wonder what kind of record numbers we can expect for fall 2015.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

OP wrote this:

quote:

Did you read his post though? (Of course not.)

73,000 without any growth in any other major. Uh, and let me tell ya, the school's gonna grow because earlier someone had posted, with a link to the interview, that they'll accept about 10,000 a year.

Sorry for you sheet for brains (you Sid), but even if they only grew a little, 76-78k isn't that far off from 80k. Or are you missing the point entirely?
Nah. I keep tellin ya I got y'alls point. It's all about hate for john sharp.
cecil77
AG
No. It's not.
Ranger1743
AG
I'm not sure anyone on here would be able to tell you a thing about Sharp, except for the dumb policies that he and and the BOR are pushing. It wouldn't matter if Abe Lincoln was our Chancellor, 25 by 25 would still piss people off.
gopgabe
AG
Sorry for being rude.

Nobody wants to dislike the admins. Sharps responsible for the management. He's the head honcho. All the decisions go through him, so yeah he's not truly the bad guy, but he's got a lot of responsibility.

More of this should probably be directed at the provost. And (for the people who care about the Engineering department Dean Banks).

PEOPLE SHOULD PROBABLY SHOOT EMAILS. I've emailed the provost to no avail, but I'm sure if enough people send messages to their inbox, they'll reply.

Repeat!

PROVOST
AND
DEAN BANKS (if you care about eng.)

Probably the pres too.

SeaAGS
quote:
How long is his appointment as Chancellor? Isn't there a term limit?

Only way I see to get rid of him is to start writing the Governor.
It was the Aggie Governor that put us in this position in the first place and now you want to write the tu Governor about bailing us out? SMDH!
VanZandt92
quote:
quote:
How long is his appointment as Chancellor? Isn't there a term limit?

Only way I see to get rid of him is to start writing the Governor.
It was the Aggie Governor that put us in this position in the first place and now you want to write the tu Governor about bailing us out? SMDH!

The entire leadership methodology is broken.
MaysGrad09
@jason_cook: Filming a segment on Kyle Field with @tamusystem Chancellor John Sharp for @SECNetwork Takeover Day http://t.co/thUX6FNcWe #12thMan

The John Sharp publicity tour continues.
TXAggie2011
AG
Serious question, does anyone know if John Sharp is planning on running for elected office again?
Richardson Zone
AG
More dual enrollment at community colleges and A&M.

http://tribtalk.org/2015/06/25/a-new-pathway-for-engineering-students-in-texas/
cecil77
AG
Unbelievable.

I'm sure the engineering school at A&M Kingsville is thrilled...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.