Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,558 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
Texas A & M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
How does this solve any of the complaints people are making here. All I have read states that A&M will take transfers from the RELLIS Campus just like we do Blinn. Just because it may accept students not initially admitted to the main campus doesn't mean our admin is planning on taking less students at the main campus. Why do you think it will alleviate any of people's concerns at the main campus?

Fair question.
Texas A & M
quote:

quote:
He called for adding 290. Where were the additional 2,710 mentioned?

And the BOR approved the request to petition the legislature last month, so the onus is now on Austin.

So A&M expanded enrollment without the necessary resources to serve the additional students. And now they're begging Austin to help because class sizes have gone up and quality has gone down along with rankings.

Remind me why anyone could think John Sharp is competent?

Eventually Aggies won't be distracted by the new stadium and will realize what a horrible job Sharp is doing. How far does A&M have to fall in the rankings before that happens?
SEC 2012
It'll be interesting to see if Baylor keeps its upward trajectory after the scandal. I believe they're one or two spots behind Texas A&M currently in the U.S. News rankings.
coldmoose
quote:

Eventually Aggies won't be distracted by the new stadium and will realize what a horrible job Sharp is doing. How far does A&M have to fall in the rankings before that happens?

Probably below Tech I guess. If even that is enough to say whoa.
cecil77
AG
quote:
So not a single word on the Riverside (RELLIS) campus developments? Or how the Blinn board of regents unanimously voted to join the venture and have lauded the opportunity? It'll essentially solve all complaints about controlling enrollment at the flagship while still allowing kids of former students to have a college experience in College Station and graduate with a A&M-system degree.

Or are we only bringing up topics to levy political attacks and bash administrators?

1) Giving legacies a "College Station college experience" is a foolish goal that doesn't serve the taxpayers of Texas.

2) Kids that graduate from an A&M System school deserve the "other education" that we tout so highly, just as much as anyone. Hard to do when you're campus has no intercollegiate sports (that's back on the home campus of that system school) nor the full range of extracurricular opportunities (ditto). Instead, it makes a sort of "DeVry Institute" situation.
StringerBell
AG
Also the name RELLIS is the dumbest thing I've ever heard
yobyob
quote:
The head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Tuesday praised the Texas A&M University System's recently announced RELLIS campus, saying it paves the way for leading transportation minds to work together for a safer future.

Mark Rosekind spoke to more than 300 professionals as part of the Texas A&M Transportation Institutes' 2016 Traffic Safety Conference in College Station. In his speech, he lauded the RELLIS campus as a concept that will help address the nation's current and coming needs.

"It positions them beautifully for what's coming, especially in the realm of new safety technologies," Rosekind said. "It really solidifies them, frankly, for progress."

By embracing a model of public and private partnership, while also incorporating the academic minds of the A&M system's faculty and students, Rosekind said the RELLIS campus will be a "great opportunity" for innovation.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-s-rellis-campus-hailed-as-paving-the/article_b0b8fad6-25a6-5cd3-8c4b-6936dd61756f.html
yobyob
quote:
quote:
So not a single word on the Riverside (RELLIS) campus developments? Or how the Blinn board of regents unanimously voted to join the venture and have lauded the opportunity? It'll essentially solve all complaints about controlling enrollment at the flagship while still allowing kids of former students to have a college experience in College Station and graduate with a A&M-system degree.

Or are we only bringing up topics to levy political attacks and bash administrators?

1) Giving legacies a "College Station college experience" is a foolish goal that doesn't serve the taxpayers of Texas.

2) Kids that graduate from an A&M System school deserve the "other education" that we tout so highly, just as much as anyone. Hard to do when you're campus has no intercollegiate sports (that's back on the home campus of that system school) nor the full range of extracurricular opportunities (ditto). Instead, it makes a sort of "DeVry Institute" situation.
first... you're one of the level headed posters here and your comments usually strike me as actually caring about the well being of A&M... not just some anti-Sharp agenda like others...

it doesn't cause any additional burden to taxpayers... how can centralizing classrooms next to multiple research stations and improving the operations of an underutilized piece of state land be seen as not serving taxpayers?

this will directly help keep the enrollment on main campus under control by giving an option for an "A&M experience" even though the student may not be enrolled at the flagship.

same rules apply here as at system schools, re: transferring policies. plus locals seem to be very excited that such a large investment is happening in a dead corner of town.

...what few have noticed is this will also drive continued economic growth in the area even if the main campus enrollment is capped...
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

quote:
How can anyone expect the same type of "other education" experience as most of us had when there are 80k students? Face it, folks, it isn't and won't be the same thing for our kids as it was for us. Same can be said of what it was for us as it was for our parents. Some of it is good, some of it is bad.

But I will say this much... with that kind of size, I have decided that it is no longer important for me to send my kids there. I loved my experience, but they would not get that experience, and they are more likely to get that kind of experience at a smaller school. And rankings be damned, it's not where you go, it's what you do while you are there that is important. If my kids go to A&M, great. But if they ask my advice, I'm going to suggest places like Tarleton, SFA and WT.
Federale01
AG
quote:

this will directly help keep the enrollment on main campus under control by giving an option for an "A&M experience" even though the student may not be enrolled at the flagship.

same rules apply here as at system schools, re: transferring policies. plus locals seem to be very excited that such a large investment is happening in a dead corner of town.

...what few have noticed is this will also drive continued economic growth in the area even if the main campus enrollment is capped...
I am not discounting the idea of the new campus, just the unfounded idea that it will keep enrollment on main campus in check. Until you provide some statement from Dr. Young, or someone else in the know, about the lowering enrollment on main campus and how it relates to RELLIS, you are simply guessing. No one in any position of authority has said that the main campus will lower enrollment thinking a student will settle for the RELLIS campus. No one.

Provide me a statement that shows freshman enrollment and transfer students will be capped, or lessened, on the main campus and a plan which gives those denied entry to A&M an automatic admittion to RELLIS and I will believe you.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:

quote:
How can anyone expect the same type of "other education" experience as most of us had when there are 80k students? Face it, folks, it isn't and won't be the same thing for our kids as it was for us. Same can be said of what it was for us as it was for our parents. Some of it is good, some of it is bad.

But I will say this much... with that kind of size, I have decided that it is no longer important for me to send my kids there. I loved my experience, but they would not get that experience, and they are more likely to get that kind of experience at a smaller school. And rankings be damned, it's not where you go, it's what you do while you are there that is important. If my kids go to A&M, great. But if they ask my advice, I'm going to suggest places like Tarleton, SFA and WT.

Go back and read this thread from the start. There was never a plan for 80k students...this whole thread is based on a falsehood with the purpose of denigrating current admin for political reasons.

I'd ask mods to delete it, but it's become ridiculously entertaining...like watching Kramer and Newman reason thru one of their half-baked schemes.
cecil77
AG
There's no plan to cap enrollment at any figure, is there? And political denigrating isn't the theme of this thread. It has occurred, yes, but that's not the primary discussion. Just put "for example" in front of each mention if that assuages your ire. The discussion is worthy either way. "80,000" is just a placeholder for "really huge enrollment".
VanZandt92
Sid the cheapening of our degree, esp in relation to other flagship schools, is what this is about.
2004FIGHTINTXAG

quote:
Go back and read this thread from the start. There was never a plan for 80k students...this whole thread is based on a falsehood with the purpose of denigrating current admin for political reasons.
Stop with the we don't like what Sharp and the BOR are doing with TAMU for "Political reasons." People don't like where the university is headed. It has nothing to do with politics.

-Student to teacher ratio has risen
-ACT/SAT scores have lowered
-Rankings have fallen to where we have now been passed by SMU and are about to be passed by Baylor...yes BAYLOR!
-Enrollment has drastically increased
-This decline and he gives himself a fat raise...I believe it was $500K

I'll take McCraven any day of the week over what we have now. It's obvious his focus is quality over quantity for the Texas system.

Lastly, stop using two handles. It's obvious you created yobyob.
SlackerAg
AG
This guy claims he "studied fishing at the Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi".
Thanks, Sharp!

Corpus Christi man catches massive 13-foot-long hammerhead shark off the coast of Padre Island
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
This guy claims he "studied fishing at the Texas A&M University in Corpus Christi".
Thanks, Sharp!

Corpus Christi man catches massive 13-foot-long hammerhead shark off the coast of Padre Island

Outrageous!!

I heard Sharp kidnapped the Lindbergh baby
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
There's no plan to cap enrollment at any figure, is there? And political denigrating isn't the theme of this thread. It has occurred, yes, but that's not the primary discussion. Just put "for example" in front of each mention if that assuages your ire. The discussion is worthy either way. "80,000" is just a placeholder for "really huge enrollment".
This.

I'd take it even further and say its a placeholder for "concern about quality."

This isn't, at least the serious discussion, not really about this number or that number but the quality of the university.

If our student population shrunk because no one wanted to go here, I'd be just as, if not, more alarmed than I am now.
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
What does this even mean?

They'll be able to drink at Northgate? Hang out at the pools at Reveille Ranch and The Woodlands? Eat the Calloway House cafeteria or walk to the McDonalds?

Or are they going to be given access to the main campuses facilities? Student organizations? Faculty?

Yell Practice
PabloSerna
AG
I credit Sharp or whomever came up with the Blinn Team idea credit. Lots of Texas HS students on the bubble and need that extra year to prove to themselves and colleges they can make it.

What is really sad reading the jist of many here is that we are somehow holier than thou and not a land grant college. The purpose of which is to the people of Texas. I like where we are going. We will or have already eclipsed UT as the "university" for Texans.

I think it is important to solve the new problems in a new way. There will be bumps, but that we are engaged is important in my opinion.

-Gig'Em
PabloSerna
AG
As a parent of a recent applicant to TAMU- it was important since we all know there are two types of education that happens in college. We checked the Blinn TEAM option. She was provisionally accepted requiring her to take 24 hours at a system school, make a 3.0 then would be automatically transferred to the College Station campus.

She was disappointed of course, having dreams of being in the Corp of Cadets as a fish. But realizing that she needed to pick up her grades. She accepted the offer, you have to do this, and enrolled at TAMU- Corpus Christi. She plans to focus and do what we all know she can do and make a "B" in all her classes.

The experience of being a student is very important and the Blinn TEAM is a great idea. Again, there are many like my daughter that for one reason or another got serious about HS a little too late. She ONLY applied to A&M since her old man had been taking her to games and conferences as a little kid.

You guys need to lighten up.
PabloSerna
AG
Access to MSC, Intramurals, game pass is my understanding.
Federale01
AG
I agree the Blinn team idea is great with one change, admittance to A&M will be granted as space is available, not automatically.

And you're right. It is the job of a land grant school to educate the people of the state in agricultural and engineering arts. But it is not its job to educate every Texan. We have other system schools that can preform that task as well. That is why they were built. A&M is simply the best of those schools and as such should take the best students.

I don't even understand what you mean when you say we have surpassed UT as the university for Texans. They would easily draw more quality students than us if they had our enrollment policies. If we now have that honor because we accept more Texans than any other school, it's a hollow distinction. i have no problem with A&M seeking to be an elite college and attract elite students. In this context, elitism is not a dirty word.
acer_16
AG
quote:

What is really sad reading the jist of many here is that we are somehow holier than thou and not a land grant college. The purpose of which is to the people of Texas. I like where we are going. We will or have already eclipsed UT as the "university" for Texans.

Texas has plenty of "pretty good" public universities to serve college-aged Texans, such as UofH, Texas Tech, and UT-Dallas. The problem as I see it, as does Chancellor McRaven, is that our two flagship universities are at risk of falling behind Cal, Michigan, Florida, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin, etc. I'm concerned that A&M is content with being a large "pretty good" school.

For all of its faults, I believe California has the tiered college system figured out. The University of California, Berkeley, the top public university in the world, is also a land grant college (as is MIT for that matter). The state wisely gave Californians plenty of college options so that they did not have to leave the state to obtain a "good", "pretty good" or, as A&M must provide, an "excellent" education.
cecil77
AG
Our purpose in the state is to be a research University of the first class. (period)
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
Our purpose in the state is to be a research University of the first class. (period)

This

The mission of a land grant university in 2016 is different than it was in 1862, before community colleges and most other universities existed.
MaysGrad09
quote:
quote:

Probably below Tech I guess. If even that is enough to say whoa.

UT-Dallas will pass A&M before Tech does.
yobyob
and france will eliminate unions!
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

This

The mission of a land grant university in 2016 is different than it was in 1862, before community colleges and most other universities existed.

Then youre probably happy to read this

https://today.tamu.edu/2015/11/19/texas-am-advances-to-17th-in-new-nsf-research-rankings/

Nice to have the Nat'l Science Foundation giving us recognition...much better than USN&WR which relies on (among other things) the whims and good will of high school counsellors

Anxious to see how you'll twist this into an embarrassing negative
cecil77
AG
It's a HUGE positive. Rankings Do matter. Note that this ranking is for expenditures, and while that's important, it's, but one parameter. Other parameters matter, including those evaluated by USNWR. I want us to excel I all of them.
TXAggie2011
TXAggie2011
AG
Its positive. A big positive. Its good to be high on the list and its good to see us move up the list.

But it doesn't mean the concerns voiced in this thread are misguided.

There are 3 types of universities high on that list.

1) Large universities---see Penn State
2) Not large, "well-respected" and "elite" universities---see MIT
3) Large, "well-respected" and "elite" universities---see UCLA.

We're obviously large, and if we weren't doing pretty well getting research dollars I'd say we were doing something quite wrong, especially since that number includes the Health Science Center.

So, the discussion is if we're category 1 or 3, whether we should be 3, and if so, are we making the right moves to become category 3.
SlackerAg
AG
President Michael Young had Univ. of Washington ranked #2 on that list for public universities, so I believe he's doing the right things.
greg.w.h
AG
Aww crap. Young failed UDub too:

http://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/uws-performance-is-up-so-why-is-its-u-s-news-ranking-down/
TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
Aww crap. Young failed UDub too:

http://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/uws-performance-is-up-so-why-is-its-u-s-news-ranking-down/
Well, our SAT scores at Texas A&M have gone down...not up...there might be something more to our fall in the USNWR than a strange idiosyncrasy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.