Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,633 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
7thGenTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:

1) What is your experience running a major university?

My experience running a major university at any level is exactly what John Sharp's was when he took the highest position at the university - none.

Inexcusable appointment.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
I don't understand how accepting more people with the exact same grades as those getting in now makes A&M a "diploma mill".

Did I miss something where they said they were going to relax standards? Lot's of kids get rejected because there's just no spot for them, not because they don't qualify academically.
AggieLit
quote:
It must be amazing that Texas has had a good economy for decades now in spite of producing a bunch of college idiots. And it's just bad luck that Michigan and California aren't doing as well economically when they have far superior people due to their best in the world universities. I mean it's not like California has any geographical advantages over texas. Lol.
Only a very small fraction of the voters in those states went to either U of Michigan or UC Berkeley. A state's economic performance is a pretty weak way to gauge the quality of its flagship school. If strong economy was due to university quality, China must have some pretty great universities and the U.S. and western Europe must have some pretty so-so ones.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
I don't understand how accepting more people with the exact same grades as those getting in now makes A&M a "diploma mill".
They're not hiring enough faculty and building enough classrooms to keep up with the growth. Class sizes just get bigger and bigger. A lot of classes are online now.
Captain Augustus McCrae
I don't understand how more students means more money. For one, you're spreading the PUF over more students. With an $11 billion endowment and 20,000 students, A&M is a wealthy school. A&M with an $11 billion endowment and 80,000 students...not so much.
GregZeppelin
AG
The PUF doesn't fund everyday operations of the the university. Tuition dollars do. More students = more tuition dollars.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
More students = more tuition dollars.

And more costs, which are always rising and universities are constantly raising tuition. So how is it more money?

Does Sharp or the regents think they get a cut of the tuition revenue? Why the **** do they care how much tuition A&M brings in?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
And more costs
Not if you hold bigger classes and make more of them online, and don't hire enough new faculty to maintain your student/professor ratio.

That cuts your cost per student, while admitting more students and raising tuition increases your overall revenue, resulting in a net financial gain for the university. That's the track A&M is currently on.
MaysGrad09
quote:
The PUF doesn't fund everyday operations of the the university. Tuition dollars do. More students = more tuition dollars.
We're not really this stupid are we? Please tell me this isn't the model we're using. If more students meant more money, why isn't the University of Phoenix and Arizona State the wealthiest schools in the country? Why are the wealthiest schools all tiny elite colleges?
Captain Augustus McCrae
More money in the short term comes from raising tuition and keeping costs in check. More money in the long term comes from producing very successful graduates who give back to the university that provided them an excellent education.

Name one college that ever became wealthy from churning out huge undergrad classes. If anything, A&M will receive less in donations as graduates remember their education as a lackluster, mediocre experience where they were just a number at a gigantic, over-sized institution that vaguely resembled a college.
MaysGrad09
quote:
If anything, A&M will receive less in donations as graduates remember their education as a lackluster, mediocre experience where they were just a number at a gigantic, over-sized institution that vaguely resembled a college.

Kind of like two weeks ago when they couldn't even hold a graduation because of too many students? That will leave a lasting impression on future donors...

Texas A&M University nixes convocation

quote:
Texas A&M University's growth, specifically the number of graduates, has dictated we change the format of our graduation processes," Hinckley said. "The logistics of trying to provide graduation ceremonies for a growing number of graduates pushed the commencement ceremony into a slot that was not conducive to having a speaker.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
We're not really this stupid are we? Please tell me this isn't the model we're using. If more students meant more money, why isn't the University of Phoenix and Arizona State the wealthiest schools in the country? Why are the wealthiest schools all tiny elite colleges?

From a few years ago now, but still very illustrative of A&M's current course: Texas A&M System Regent Jim Schwertner:

quote:
Schwertner said regents are currently working to make A&M more efficient, helping students to graduate on time and without unnecessary debt by increasing class offerings and keeping costs low.

"We want professors to teach more. We want to utilize buildings more. We want more access to classes for you all," Schwertner said.

In a year when A&M enrollment eclipsed 50,000 students, capping enrollment was not a priority for Schwertner.

"If we have 32,000 applicants and we only let eight or nine thousand in, I think we can let another 10,000 in and generate another $100 million in revenue," Schwertner said.

http://www.texaseducationexcellence.org/news/531
MaysGrad09
So yeah, we're that stupid.
AggieLit
quote:
quote:
And more costs
Not if you hold bigger classes and make more of them online, and don't hire enough new faculty to maintain your student/professor ratio.

That cuts your cost per student, while admitting more students and raising tuition increases your overall revenue, resulting in a net financial gain for the university. That's the track A&M is currently on.

So basically they're relying on A&M's current reputation as a somewhat good school to keep bringing in tuition dollars, while quietly gutting the educational quality by shrinking the faculty.

It sounds like the same strategy that Sears went with about a decade ago. Stop investing in your stores or product lines, rely on the brand name to keep bringing in customers, profit until the bottom falls out...

MaysGrad09
quote:
More money in the short term comes from raising tuition and keeping costs in check. More money in the long term comes from producing very successful graduates who give back to the university that provided them an excellent education.
You would think university regents would understand this simple concept, but the only prerequisite for the job is donating money to the governor.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
So yeah, we're that stupid.
Looks like it.
Ross Street
There's over 500 posts in this thread... Has anyone emailed Michael Young or Karan Watson? Any response?

They determine freshman admits...that's straight from John Sharp.
Medaggie
If there is an 80K student population, then even if the acceptance scores are the same the prestige will go down. No different then if Rice allowed 100K students in a year, even with keeping all of their standards, the prestige will go down.

The more common something is, the less prestigious it is.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
A lot of classes are online now.

First, is online learning a horrible thing? Second, what percentage of all classes are online? Just so we have an idea of how big and bad this monster problem really is.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Were you complaining about online classes when Johnny was taking em?
JeffHamilton82
quote:

Good thing we didn't have this attitude when I went to A&M or else most of you never would have been admitted. Explain to me why 29,000 students in 1982 was ok and 58,000 students in 2015 (double in size in 33 years) is ok, but 80,000 students (a 40% increase) is absolute doom for us if it occurs in 2030? What if we slow that to 2040, would that be acceptable?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

From a few years ago now, but still very illustrative of A&M's current course: Texas A&M System Regent Jim Schwertner:

quote:
Schwertner said regents are currently working to make A&M more efficient, helping students to graduate on time and without unnecessary debt by increasing class offerings and keeping costs low.

"We want professors to teach more. We want to utilize buildings more. We want more access to classes for you all," Schwertner said.

In a year when A&M enrollment eclipsed 50,000 students, capping enrollment was not a priority for Schwertner.

"If we have 32,000 applicants and we only let eight or nine thousand in, I think we can let another 10,000 in and generate another $100 million in revenue," Schwertner said.

'Texas Coalition for excellence in higher education'...ha! And 'people for the American way' right?...how could you disagree with those guys and still hope to survive the day?! (They probably ought to get it over with now and rename themselves 'The people who love kittens')

Advice: Google them using your most rudimentary critical thinking skills gang. You'll see what their agitative agenda is really all about.

I'll summarize mr Zeppelin here in a thousand words:
Tango Mike
Why have you never taken a break from attacking everyone else's higher education administration credentials to answer the question posed to you about your own?

I teach at a Top 5 undergraduate college. The reason this place is "elite" is because
1) it's small
2) the class sizes are capped at 17
3) it is extremely selective
4) zero % of classes are online

I don't know if the education is truly "elite", but the "elite" nature of the degree opens more doors nationwide than the school size would suggest. Class sizes, infrastructure, and degree perception absolutely matter
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
Explain to me why 29,000 students in 1982 was ok and 58,000 students in 2015 (double in size in 33 years) is ok, but 80,000 students (a 40% increase) is absolute doom for us if it occurs in 2030? What if we slow that to 2040, would that be acceptable?

Texas A&M University nixes convocation
quote:
Texas A&M University's growth, specifically the number of graduates, has dictated we change the format of our graduation processes," Hinckley said. "The logistics of trying to provide graduation ceremonies for a growing number of graduates pushed the commencement ceremony into a slot that was not conducive to having a speaker.

A&M can't offer a traditional college experience with 55,000 students, never mind 80,000.
TexasRebel
AG
A Zenith and a Casio do the same basic task...

Which do you prefer?
fireinthehole
OFF
fireinthehole
SEASON
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

'Texas Coalition for excellence in higher education'...ha! And 'people for the American way' right?...how could you disagree with those guys and still hope to survive the day?! (They probably ought to get it over with now and rename themselves 'The people who love kittens')

Advice: Google them using your most rudimentary critical thinking skills gang. You'll see what their agitative agenda is really all about.

It's a direct quote from a then-sitting regent of the Texas A&M University System who was personally instrumental in formulating A&M's current growth strategy.

The quote in question was spoken by Schwertner directly to A&M's Student Leadership at a Student Senate meeting held on Nov. 2nd, 2011, in which the the A&M system's priorities for the upcoming years were being discussed.

If you'd like an alternative source, you can find it here, in an article recapping the Student Senate meeting in the Nov. 3, 2011 edition of the Battalion: http://issuu.com/thebatt/docs/thebattalion11032011

You know the funny thing about direct quotes? As long as they were said, and reported in proper context, the source doesn't really matter at all.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:
You know the funny thing about direct quotes? As long as they were said, and reported in proper context, the source doesn't really matter at all.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Good thing we didn't have this attitude when I went to A&M or else most of you never would have been admitted. Explain to me why 29,000 students in 1982 was ok and 58,000 students in 2015 (double in size in 33 years) is ok, but 80,000 students (a 40% increase) is absolute doom for us if it occurs in 2030? What if we slow that to 2040, would that be acceptable?

Who said this was ok?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

It's a direct quote from a then-sitting regent of the Texas A&M University System who was personally instrumental in formulating A&M's current growth strategy.

The quote in question was spoken by Schwertner directly to A&M's Student Leadership at a Student Senate meeting held on Nov. 2nd, 2011, in which the the A&M system's priorities for the upcoming years were being discussed.

If you'd like an alternative source, you can find it here, in an article recapping the Student Senate meeting in the Nov. 3, 2011 edition of the Battalion: http://issuu.com/thebatt/docs/thebattalion11032011

I'll trust you on the link to the Batt...

Not sure I see how that equates to "the standards of the university will drop and I don't care" #egad!anadminmentionedincreasedrevenue!!

copying/pasting quotes is easy...so is conflating them and taking them out of context.

/Reinsert grinding axe photo here
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I'll trust you on the link to the Batt...

Not sure I see how that equates to "the standards of the university will drop and I don't care" #egad!anadminmentionedincreasedrevenue!!

copying/pasting quotes is easy...so is conflating them and taking them out of context.

/Reinsert grinding axe photo here
You know what the sad thing is about this post? I saw it before the edits, and it was actually a decent post, almost like you forgot for a second that you were supposed to be *******. Then you went and edited it to be more *******-ish. I guess I just don't understand putting forth extra effort to be more of a dick.
lb3
AG
Tango Mike
quote:

Does everyone need a participation medal? I just don't understand why folks are arguing to make the school so elite they never would have been accepted.

Your second sentence directly argues your first sentence. No, not everyone needs a participation medal from Texas A&M. That's the point. It's ok to tell people "no, you didn't make it in"
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Is this a Gen Y or Millennial thing?

We've shown that A&M's enrollment has been keeping up with population growth for the past 30 years while the percentage of the population attending college has increased significantly.

Does everyone need a participation medal? I just don't understand why folks are arguing to make the school so elite they never would have been accepted.

Does anyone seriously think that if they don't get a C-level job at a Fortune 100 company it will be because A&M increased enrollment? That's not how the world works.

This must be a Boomer thing since I have no clue what side you are taking

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.