Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,857 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
TAMU1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
38,000 apps were sent in and over 14,000 were auto admits. Not all of those kids obviously accept admission. Then then go to review applicants to get the usual 10,000 fish. The acceptance rate also includes Blinn team and Gateway - these kids aren't even on the CS campus.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
You have to keep in mind that some posters attended A&M when it was a 4 year community college (early 70's and prior), and their comments reflect that.

Some of the greatest Aggies ever attended prior to the early 70's. You can go f--k yourself.
fireinthehole
How about don't come on the A&M football board and run down our university and its leaders and talk about sending your kids to tu. Just write to the regents or whoever else you think matters. Oh, and buy season tickets to the tu games so you will have good seats when your kids go there. How can we expect recruits to have a positive view of our university with all the negative crap from within?
Short version, FO.
FightingAggie
AG
quote:
How about don't come on the A&M football board and run down our university and its leaders and talk about sending your kids to tu. Just write to the regents or whoever else you think matters. Oh, and buy season tickets to the tu games so you will have good seats when your kids go there. How can we expect recruits to have a positive view of our university with all the negative crap from within?
Short version, FO.
Yeah, why try to raise awareness about issues you see happening to your university when you can just have it all go on behind closed doors.
fireinthehole
This is a football board. We are already aware. Complain to the powers that be.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
^ The powers that be don't respond. That's what makes the situation even more sad and is why Former Students need to stop donating. When you can't get a response from the Chancellor, BOR's, President, or Association then there are issues.
Richardson Zone
AG
Texas A&M University nixes convocation

quote:
Texas A&M University's growth, specifically the number of graduates, has dictated we change the format of our graduation processes," Hinckley said. "The logistics of trying to provide graduation ceremonies for a growing number of graduates pushed the commencement ceremony into a slot that was not conducive to having a speaker.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
^ The powers that be don't respond...
...to whiny dewschbags and craven govt employees who anonymously hide behind lies in attempt discredit school admin.

Meh. Who could blame Em?
JJxvi
AG
Wtf. Who here works for the government that has these tools riled up? if there's more than one I'd be floored.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
More Students = More Money Now
More Alumni = More money in the future
More Alumni = More fan support in the future (demand / tickets / etc) = surpassing t.u. and becoming the ONLY Flagship University
cecil77
AG
Sid Farkas, your posting such trash is tiresome, immature and adds nothing to this otherwise excellent discussion amongst Aggies. Please go back an look at some of the things you've written and imagine saying them to someone face to face. If you wouldn't say it face to face - don't post it.

Cecil Albrecht '77
Badace52
AG
Stop the madness!!! Quality over quantity.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Sid Farkas, your posting such trash is tiresome, immature and adds nothing to this otherwise excellent discussion amongst Aggies. Please go back an look at some of the things you've written and imagine saying them to someone face to face. If you wouldn't say it face to face - don't post it.

Cecil Albrecht '77
Cece, baby. I love you man...but I gotta say no one is more offended by reading this thread than I am.

Ps. I think you need to look up the word 'excellent' in the dictionary.
TheAngelFlight
quote:
Cece, baby. I love you man...but I gotta say no one is more offended by reading this thread than I am.

Stop.

You're not funny, You're not insightful.

You're a loser.
Ranger1743
AG
quote:

Lol I'll give you a hint: it's not the quality of a TAMU degree anymore.
gopgabe
AG
What a weird chain that is going on here...

P1: Hey, uh, you guys noticing administration doing some weird stuff like the new 25 x 25 and the seal changes? The students are opposing some of this stuff and they're not listening. There's even a petition that has over 15,000 signatures...

P2: Why are you complaining on the football board? Email the BOR or someone who can do something!

P1: We have, nobody is giving a crap!

P3: [Insert ad hominem here at one of the two parties above].

P4: Well I wouldn't have gotten in back then, so accept every homeless person and child!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I agree that many (including myself) are attacking the BOR and Sharp without complete justification, it's a form of release since complaints obviously haven't been heard. I'm not even fighting for 80,000, I'm fighting for my engineering degree.

I understand the need of wanting to educate the public. There are better approaches than increasing admission ridiculously. I mean look at MIT OCW, Coursera, and EdX. You can educate the public without inflating the population of the flagship campus. There are NO OTHER SCHOOLS that are doing what we're doing. We're not going to become an Ivy League school, but we sure as HELL shouldn't become a diploma mill.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
quote:
This thread is sad.

A bunch of elitest douchnozzles freaking out about USNWR rankings. Smells like Austin in here.
A bunch of "elitist douchnozzles" freaking out about the worth of their SIGNIFICANT financial investment.

Do you realize that's what you just said? Because believe it or not, for those of us coming out of school or who will come out in 2-3 years, ranking matters to recruiters and to graduate schools (for those who are interested in attending, the brave souls).

And, what if it "smells like Austin"? You do realize they're better ranked and some of their graduates have better opportunities because of that?

Or are you ignorant and believe a degree from ITT Tech is equivalent to a degree from MIT? A degree isn't to evaluate whether you're smart or not, it's to open doors for connections that may have been unavailable and to give some credentials.

So far, the people outside of Texas with whom I've spoken to about A&M have only known of it as a zoo. But of course, to care about your education and degree value is elitist.
Aggies aren't having any trouble finding jobs or making money, as every single ROI ranking in the world can attest to.

So basically you're really worried about something that has zero evidence to support it. Cool.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
You have to keep in mind that some posters attended A&M when it was a 4 year community college (early 70's and prior), and their comments reflect that.
Wow, I really hope you are just a sip in disguise.

What a disgusting and horrible thing to say about the people who made this University great.

Please do send your kids to Austin (if they can get in). I don't want people with such a horrible world view having anything to do with my kids or my school.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
quote:

Some of the greatest Aggies ever attended prior to the early 70's. You can go f--k yourself.
TY.

How many medal of honors attended that glorified Juco? ****ing asshat.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Aggies aren't having any trouble finding jobs or making money, as every single ROI ranking in the world can attest to.

And that's the point. If Aggies see decisions being contemplated that would hurt that, why on earth should it not be discussed?
MagnumLoad
It strikes me that posters saying they are going to send their kids to tu cannot have a positive influence on any recruits that might read this (it is possible that such posters could actually be sips in disguise). If you are really Aggies, just turn in your ring and diploma and go with them. You'll love it.

Staff, could we get all the diploma mill and enrollment posts moved to the appropriate board? Thank you in advance.
Silent For Too Long
quote:
quote:

And that's the point. If Aggies see decisions being contemplated that would hurt that, why on earth should it not be discussed?
It's pure ass speculation at this point.

Maybe growing the Aggie Network even bigger only helps? Can anyone here say for sure that isn't the case?

The bottom line is none of this is going to have the slightest effect on anyone that has either already graduated or is currently in school. Not. One. Bit. At all. Not even in the slightest. I could see being a little concerned if you have kids who are going to be hitting campus in 2025 or something.

TXAggie2011
AG
quote:
The bottom line is none of this is going to have the slightest effect on anyone that has either already graduated or is currently in school. Not. One. Bit. At all. Not even in the slightest. I could see being a little concerned if you have kids who are going to be hitting campus in 2025 or something.
No, its not.

The bottom line is people that still care about Texas A&M because its a place they love, and/or people that are worried about the overall state of the education system in Texas because our state depends on having an effective education system.

quote:
Maybe growing the Aggie Network even bigger only helps? Can anyone here say for sure that isn't the case?
You don't grow a school that is working fine at its current size quickly- and you seem to think the school is currently working and there isn't any doubt they're growing the school quickly- because there is not concrete evidence growing the school quickly will hurt the school.

That's ass backwards.

You change a school that is working because you have evidence you can make it better.

No one can cite anything for this move other than the growing population of Texas. There have been a number of responses to that argument throughout the thread, and you nor anyone else seems to even willing to even want to acknowledge those arguments.
jimscott85
AG
quote:
quote:

Cecil Albrecht '77

Cecil,

You've got more class in your pinky toe than some of these guys. Thanks for being a good Ag, sir. I appreciate your well thought contributions to the treads on these boards.

While I assume this cat is even younger than me, I apologize on his behalf. My other fear is that we will have 80,000+ of these great representatives of our university running around in 10-15 years.
Tango Mike
quote:
quote:
quote:

TY.

How many medal of honors attended that glorified Juco? ****ing asshat.

What in the world does this have to do with education quality? Audie Murphy earned a lot of medals, but he was virtually illiterate.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

Because most of us are not qualified to debate infrastructure, executive university admin...and all the other stuff you guys seem to think you're experts on, yet aren't....

Add to that the canard on which this very thread was started...

I could go on and on dude. (Eg folks using phony issues like the seal and flag room as red-herrings to deceptively grind an axe over some other issue they're pissed about...Your boring maudlin tone, etc etc)

And you wonder why I'm so sarcastic. Humph.
gopgabe
AG
I'm just waiting until MIT decides to increase their enrollment to 1 billion. Since they actually have the resources to do that, it should be inherently obvious that they SHOULD do that.
VonDaMan
AG
This is going to put a lot of pressure on future ticket prices.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
quote:

Cecil Albrecht '77
2004FIGHTINTXAG
quote:
...to whiny dewschbags and craven govt employees who anonymously hide behind lies in attempt discredit school admin.

Meh. Who could blame Em?

How old are you? Your consistent name calling is beyond immature and childish.

"Anonymously hide..." - Nope, I've emailed them everything I've said on TexAgs and signed off with my name. You're the one coming on here calling names while hiding behind an anonymous handle.

Also, why are you so very emotionally attached to this topic?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I'm just waiting until MIT decides to increase their enrollment to 1 billion. Since they actually have the resources to do that, it should be inherently obvious that they SHOULD do that.

Well they are a land grant university so they absolutely should
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
quote:
UT attracts a lot more interest from Asian-American students than A&M. There is also a perception in affluent suburban high schools that A&M isn't as fun as UT.....UT has better sororities and fraternities. The A&M PR department has work to do.
why does A&M need to do a better job at attracting Asians, partiers or Greeks? I hate that A&M felt like it had to pander to any select racial group(s) at all.

The quoted post is retarded.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
quote:
UT attracts a lot more interest from Asian-American students than A&M. There is also a perception in affluent suburban high schools that A&M isn't as fun as UT.....UT has better sororities and fraternities. The A&M PR department has work to do.
why does A&M need to do a better job at attracting Asians, partiers or Greeks? I hate that A&M felt like it had to pander to any select racial group(s) at all.

The quoted post is retarded.

Agreed in the partiers and Greeks, but the Asians are the ones who have the high test scores and grades that will raise rankings of try come to A&M. Plus they will actually finish their engineering degrees instead of transferring to Mays after their freshman year so they can study less.
Brazos Ag 1970
AG
quote:
quote:
If we can have 80,000 students in 10 years and not lower our standards, than maybe I'm OK with this.
A&M's standards aren't high to begin with. Shouldn't they be raising them and trying to become a top 20 University like they intended when Gates was here? Or at least move back into the top 50 or 60 like it was 5 or 10 years ago?
The problem is that's what most everybody wants. However, we take state money, so we set our admissions according to what they tell us.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.