Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,662 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Engineers and doctors have standards beyond University level, so you're not becoming either one of those without "trade schooling" anyway. I have a feeling that most engineers will know E=MC2 but I also got a feeling that the best engineers also have a bit of an understanding on how lots of different studies interconnect. Sorry if that's too "liberal arts" for you.
DallasAg 94
Spyderman
AG
Times change...enrollments change..conferences change. Now we need to change the PUF allotments...
Captain Augustus McCrae
2015 U.S. News Rankings:

53) UT- Austin
68) A&M
145) UT-Dallas
156) Texas Tech
189) UH

If A&M continues to fall in the rankings and UT-Dallas continues to rise, then sure, I could see UT-Dallas competing with A&M for students. I know a current UT-Dallas student who comes from an Aggie family and turned down A&M for a full ride at UT-Dallas.
cecil77
AG
quote:
Spare me the well rounded liberal arts balance makes me a better person garbage.

quote:
If you don't use what you learned in college in your career then you didn't need to go to college.

Both of these statements are (and forgive me, there's only one apt word) ignorant.

And before I get labeled, I earned a B.S. and M.Eng. in Nuclear Engineering at Texas A&M University.

An old Brit M.E. prof, Dr. Kettleborough told us something I've never forgotten:
quote:

If you interview engineering graduates and ask them to evaluate their university education they will answer: 1) Five years out of school - "My education was inadequate, I really needed more mathmatics, physics and engineering, they didn't prepare me for my job". 2) After 20 years out - "Incomplete. I should have had more management, accounting and economics. They didn't prepare me for my career". 3) After 30 years out - Shortsighted - I should have had more philosophy, art and music. They didn't prepare me for my life.

The notion that a college degree at a tier 1 institution must be tied to a vocation, is misguided, shortsighted, and ultimately a detriment to society.

So many Aggies are scared of competing to be an elite institution that it saddens me. And yes, a well rounded education including Liberal Arts is a necessary component of that. I have a daughter at Dartmouth College, and the difference in attitudes about education, (true education, not vocational training) is astounding. I bring it up because A&M and Dartmouth have an astounding number of parallels in culture, attitude and tradition (likely stemming from both originating as obscure, rural, land-grant institutions). Aggies, we can do better than this. One post in this thread touts "embracing the future" when supporting this move to become a gigantic Devry. No, "embracing the future" is realizing that we are not (and haven't been for 40+ years) a school for enhanced job training.

When I got to campus in the fall of 1973, the old shops were still there. Lathes, welding machines, etc. At one point long ago every Aggie had to know how to use them. We don't need to drift back in that direction.
12thmanfootball
AG
Admit a crap load of students every year. Just makes the Aggie Network stronger. If they are too dumb to hack school, they'll flunk out............I don't think Sharp is a bad guy...........kinda sounds a bit stupid when he speaks, but I've been happy with his leadership.
DallasAg 94
Some perspective...

Can A&M maintain a high academic standard while increasing enrollment? Absolutely.

Take UT-Dallas as an example.

In 1999, they had an enrollment of about 9,000.
Today they have an enrollment of 23,000+.

That is adding almost 1,000/yr for 15 years.

They have done that while keeping their average SAT at #1 or #2 in the state (comparable to Rice). They are a predominately Engineering school.

They will cap enrollment at either 29,000 or 32,000 in the next 5 years. Meaning they plan to add about 1,000 more students per year over that time. They have capped because they believe that is about the highest they can get maintaining their high level requirements.

If A&M and tu are both capped, then there is really no one in the state of Texas, for them to compete with. They are seeking AAU and will likely be the next (4th) school from Texas.

A&M really doesn't have a school in our system that we can develop in the same manner as UT-Dallas.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
How long is his appointment as Chancellor? Isn't there a term limit?

Only way I see to get rid of him is to start writing the Governor.
FriscoKid
AG
Well, I guess we will just have to disagree then because I think the "university" other stuff is filled with bias mush and it doesn't make you better.

Huge difference between knowing how to use the lathe and knowing how to use, design, market and sell the lathe. Big difference between tech and engineering.
SECTAMU#1
As far as national rankings go, I would like to see what trajectory A&M is on. Sharp became Chancellor in 2011, so my question is where was A&M in the rankings in 2012 and 2013 versus the ranking of 68 shown above in 2014?
Al Bula
AG
Did Staff really delete Sharp petition thread? Wow. Must not offend almighty A&M buffoon overlords I guess.
annie88
AG
quote:
As far as national rankings go, I would like to see what trajectory A&M is on. Sharp became Chancellor in 2011, so my question is where was A&M in the rankings in 2012 and 2013 versus the ranking of 68 shown above in 2014?
this.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Y'all are gay.
Intelligent, well thought out response. You'll be sure to get admitted under Sharp's vision of A&M.
William Larue Weller
AG
We're gonna need a bigger Kyle
FightingAggie
AG
Lucky this one is still up.
SECTAMU#1
Okay, I looked up 2012 and 2013. In 2012, TAMU was ranked 65th, then dropped to 69th in 2013 and was ranked 68th in 2014.
Womackster
AG
Q: How many Aggies will it take to screw in a light bulb in 10 years?
A: 80,000
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Are you kidding me? We are not going to have light bulbs in 10 years. Light bulbs are destroying the planet.

OSHA will have determined that broken glass can hurt you. The EPA will prove that chemicals in the light bulb are dangerous to the environment. And, NASA will have found a hole in the atmosphere that is caused by light bulb gasses.

-Lib Arts Professor
Womackster
AG
quote:
quote:
Are you kidding me? We are not going to have light bulbs in 10 years. Light bulbs are destroying the planet.

OSHA will have determined that broken glass can hurt you. The EPA will prove that chemicals in the light bulb are dangerous to the environment. And, NASA will have found a hole in the atmosphere that is caused by light bulb gasses.

-Lib Arts Professor
Well played.
Kaboom
quote:
quote:
Get rid of that damn top 10% rule and then you can start to restrict who comes in from Blinn. Not all high schools were created equal.
Umm what?? The majority of students A&M accepts are outside the top 10%. This is solely A&M's fault.

Where did you get this stat from? My son is a freshman at A&M. In his class, according to the admission department, only 300 students who were not automatic admits got into A&M. Texas has a much higher level of non-automatic admits by design. This is why they only accept the top 8%.
wrinkledink
AG
If we turn into arizona state, does that mean we get all the hot chicks?!
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
If we turn into arizona state, does that mean we get all the hot chicks?!
Seems like we are dumbing down the requirements so I think there is a good chance of that happening.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
the college / federal loan bubble will pop before this happens
Marklar
AG
quote:
Where did you get this stat from? My son is a freshman at A&M. In his class, according to the admission department, only 300 students who were not automatic admits got into A&M. Texas has a much higher level of non-automatic admits by design. This is why they only accept the top 8%.
How could you possibly think that makes any logical sense. If somewhere around 30,000 students were admitted, you'd have to be on some dank weed to think that 99% of the people accepted were automatic admissions.
Edit: I'll even work out the math for you, since soon enough that piece of paper that says I'm a tamu engineering graduate will be better off used as fire starter: (30,000-300)/30,000 = .99 --> 99%
coldmoose
Why bother with wanting to be an institution of the highest order? Fully embrace being like the University of Phoenix. Evidently the Chancellor and the BOR figure that is the way to go.
Why don't they focus more efforts on bolstering the entire system. Not everyone needs to be in College Station. What about building up (more) A&M Corpus Christi or Prairie View or Tarleton or the other schools in the system. Don't they educate kids? But then all of those people wouldn't be Aggies. And the would hurt the cause of staying ahead of the University of Phoenix for numbers.
nickstro66
AG
A&M only has the Blinn Team, they do not have programs set up with other community colleges
dirkjones
AG
quote:
A&M only has the Blinn Team, they do not have programs set up with other community colleges
Wrong, A&M participates in the Program for Transfer Admissions and will accept course work from any Texas Community College. Automatic admission with a 3.2 GPA and a B average in certain coursework.
dirkjones
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Get rid of that damn top 10% rule and then you can start to restrict who comes in you get this stat from? My son is a freshman at A&M. In his class, according to the admission department, only 300 students who were not automatic admits got into A&M. Texas has a much higher level of non-automatic admits by design. This is why they only accept the top 8%.

This years freshman class was the biggest in history. Someone was not accurate if you believe only the top 8% was accepted. I know of one person admitted with no restrictions that was in the top 15% and only scored a 1050 on SAT.
JJxvi
AG
quote:
quote:
How could you possibly think that makes any logical sense. If somewhere around 30,000 students were admitted, you'd have to be on some dank weed to think that 99% of the people accepted were automatic admissions.
Edit: I'll even work out the math for you, since soon enough that piece of paper that says I'm a tamu engineering graduate will be better off used as fire starter: (30,000-300)/30,000 = .99 --> 99%
I know you wrote out your calculations, but its hard to take you seriously if you think 30,000 kids are admitted in a single class.
Mojave
AG
"If you interview engineering graduates andask them to evaluate their university education they will answer: 1) Five years out of school - "My education was inadequate, I really needed more
mathmatics, physics and engineering, they didn't prepare me for my job".
2) After 20 years out - "Incomplete. I should have had more management,
accounting and economics. They didn't prepare me for my career".
3) After 30 years out - Shortsighted - I should have had more philosophy, art and music.
They didn't prepare me for my life."

As a member of the Class of '86 (29 years agofor the recent engineering graduates,) with a BSEE degree, I feel qualified to disagree with this speculative statement. But then again I am not the type of engineer
that is teaching

Knife_Party
quote:
They are certainly building the housing for it here. Tons of new apartments have gone up and are yet to go up. Perhaps Sharp has his finger in the apartment real estate pie.

The apartment increase has outpaced the increase in the student population in the recent past. typically that means the oldest apartments can no longer get students to rent and then go HUD. Which of course brings in government dependants from all over the state. Perhaps sharp is trying to check that trend a bit. Kudos if that's his goal but I doubt it.

On a brighter note. 80000 students you say. That's around 40000 females and a new crop every year. If only 5% of them have a thing for older men that's allot of womenfor you pervs that live in BCS.

TALMBOUT
dirkjones
AG
10,241 freshmen in last years class. 9700 in 2013
cecil77
AG
Mojave, get back to me in ten more years... And of course the point is metaphorical. I denigrated the value of the liberal arts just as much as any engineer. The point is that I outgrew it and know believe that knowledge needs to be pursued across a vast range.
weeza
AG
quote:
Okay, I looked up 2012 and 2013. In 2012, TAMU was ranked 65th, then dropped to 69th in 2013 and was ranked 68th in 2014.
So no real difference. Hopefully we can grow AND maintain/enhance our ranking.
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Mojave, get back to me in ten more years... And of cattle point is metaphorical. I denigrated the value of the liberal arts just as much as any engineer. The point is that I outgrew it and know believe that knowledge needs to be pursued across a vast range.
30 years is a lot of "life" experience. Has nothing to do with PSYC302 making you a better engineer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.