Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,847 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get rid of that damn top 10% rule and then you can start to restrict who comes in from Blinn. Not all high schools were created equal.

But agreed, Sharp needs to go...soon.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
My kids are going to Texas.
Yup Texas or Rice. They're the only top 50 universities in Texas today.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring and that enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.
Is that enrollment number 80k undergrads in CS? Our current enrollment includes all the professional schools minus the med school, Qatar and Galveston campuses, and all grad/undergrad students in CS.

I agree with others that we're growing the undergrad programs in CS too much, but we also manipulate our enrollment numbers for whatever reason.
Richardson Zone
AG
quote:
Get rid of that damn top 10% rule and then you can start to restrict who comes in from Blinn. Not all high schools were created equal.
Umm what?? The majority of students A&M accepts are outside the top 10%. This is solely A&M's fault.
t_J_e_C_x
AG
A&M's infrastructure is bending under the weight of more and more students. Other programs are failing, and professors being let go to make room in other areas, therefore weakening those programs as a whole by shoving more students on overworked professors. The Humanities is getting torn apart according to a Professor I had the privilege of taking a few times during my time at A&M and he himself is leaving because of the treatment he's received. Engineering is going to bend till it nearly breaks from the weight.

Don't even get me started on College Station itself. Try to imagine that many people in that town. Traffic will be worse than Austin. . . Maybe even worse than Los Angeles.

What happened to quality over quantity? I'm glad I got my degree and got out when I did.
amercer
AG
Sad
FightingAggie
AG
At what point will fallout from donations over this kind of **** outweigh the extra money Sharp gets from stuffing another 10 or 20k students onto campus?
cecil77
AG
The A&M SYSTEM is what should be available to the masses. The flagship in College Station should strive to be a world class research university. That doesn't work with 80,000. Throw in the "other education" that we tout so loudly and proudly, and it absolutely doesn't work. There is nothing "desirable" about growing to 80,00.

I would submit that a better goal would be to improve A&M -Kingsville/Corpus/Laredo/San Antonio/Commerce/Stephenville/etc and move enrollment in the flagship DOWN, not up.
MaysGrad09
quote:
What happened to quality over quantity?
This all started once Perry had appointed a majority of the regents. These were guys that graduated in the 60's and 70's when A&M was a trade school and that's what they thought A&M should be - cheap and accessible. These guys have no business serving on the board of tier 1 university, since they didn't attend one and clearly don't understand its purpose.

It's sad. A&M is more likely to fall out of the top 100 than to ever be a top 50 university again, never mind top 20 (which was Gates' goal.)
cecil77
AG
True. But hey, if our football team wins, the money will keep rolling in and that's all that matters. Right?
TAMU bball fan
quote:
Throw in the "other education" that we tout so loudly and proudly, and it absolutely doesn't work. There is nothing "desirable" about growing to 80,00.
dirkjones
AG
quote:
At what point will fallout from donations over this kind of **** outweigh the extra money Sharp gets from stuffing another 10 or 20k students onto campus?
I believe the number they want to increase to is closer to is another 30k.
AgCPA
AG
I think some of the assumptions being made are wrong about admissions... my daughter is a sophomore. She had to go into holistic review as she wasn't top ten percent. Despite a 99 avg and 1300 on SAT it was not a sure thing. The students getting in who are not qualified are the top ten percent folks from schools where even a "b" average is top ten percent and despite an 800 for example on the SAT they must be admitted. There are gobs of kids with mid "a" averages and better than a 1200 on SAT getting turned down by TAMU. However, don't really know how it works on transfers. The problem with growing the population so fast is keeping up with quality teachers, classroom and lab space etc and a host of other things. If you don't see significant tuition increases then I don't see how quality doesn't fall as they are already underfunded significantly compared to any peer.
TAMU bball fan
It's not a coincidence that the engineering 25X25 plan came out after the SEC move and the new stadium was announced. Everyone was distracted.
TAMU bball fan
quote:
However, don't really know how it works on transfers.
Get a 3.0 at one of several community colleges and you're in. It's a joke.
Topher17
AG
quote:
The A&M SYSTEM is what should be available to the masses. The flagship in College Station should strive to be a world class research university. That doesn't work with 80,000. Throw in the "other education" that we tout so loudly and proudly, and it absolutely doesn't work. There is nothing "desirable" about growing to 80,00.

I would submit that a better goal would be to improve A&M -Kingsville/Corpus/Laredo/San Antonio/Commerce/Stephenville/etc and move enrollment in the flagship DOWN, not up.
ag09
AG
quote:
quote:
Umm what?? The majority of students A&M accepts are outside the top 10%. This is solely A&M's fault.
I'm not faulting A&M, I'm faulting politicians that passed the top 10% rule. The top 10% rule forced A&M to expand enrollment in the first place. I'm one of those that went to a good high school, yet wasn't in the top 10%. Went to Blinn for a year and here I am with a degree from A&M and an MBA from SHSU.

When they did this, people who would have gone to satellite campuses are now going to the main campus because why the hell not. I'm in automatically.

Being in the top 10% should not entitle you to a college degree.
ag09
AG
quote:
I think some of the assumptions being made are wrong about admissions... my daughter is a sophomore. She had to go into holistic review as she wasn't top ten percent. Despite a 99 avg and 1300 on SAT it was not a sure thing. The students getting in who are not qualified are the top ten percent folks from schools where even a "b" average is top ten percent and despite an 800 for example on the SAT they must be admitted. There are gobs of kids with mid "a" averages and better than a 1200 on SAT getting turned down by TAMU. However, don't really know how it works on transfers. The problem with growing the population so fast is keeping up with quality teachers, classroom and lab space etc and a host of other things. If you don't see significant tuition increases then I don't see how quality doesn't fall as they are already underfunded significantly compared to any peer.
Spot on!
Sex Panther
AG
The "making education accessible to everyone" and trying to accommodate a growing population excuses from Sharp and company are total bull****... It's just about money. More students = More alumni = More $$$.

Welcome to the business of higher education. The next bubble to burst.

Texas's brass has been fighting to preserve their academic reputation, while ours is hellbent on letting anyone in who can write a check or fill out their student loan applications.

College has become a joke compared to what it used to be and it's original idealogy. I'd prefer A&M try and not fall into that category rather than sprint towards it with arms wide open.
PMD03
AG
The new university seal will make the less valuable diplomas easier to spot.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
The new university seal will make the less valuable diplomas easier to spot.
BigGameAg07
AG
They are certainly building the housing for it here. Tons of new apartments have gone up and are yet to go up. Perhaps Sharp has his finger in the apartment real estate pie.

The apartment increase has outpaced the increase in the student population in the recent past. typically that means the oldest apartments can no longer get students to rent and then go HUD. Which of course brings in government dependants from all over the state. Perhaps sharp is trying to check that trend a bit. Kudos if that's his goal but I doubt it.

On a brighter note. 80000 students you say. That's around 40000 females and a new crop every year. If only 5% of them have a thing for older men that's allot of women for you pervs that live in BCS.
permabull
AG
quote:
True. But hey, if our football team wins, the money will keep rolling in and that's all that matters. Right?

yes?
AgsWin2011
AG
Kyle Field Expansion 2025!

Start investing in rental properties now if you haven't already!
AgCPA
AG
Is it only GPA to transfer? I know of a good number of well qualified kids i.e. "a" avg in high school, good SAT score that just go there if TAMU turns them down initially due to the number they take for top ten percent. Can we make the assumption that everyone transferring in from Blynn is not qualified? I'm a doubter, but if they don't look at the SAT for that, some could unqualified kids could scoot by.
Jim Benson 63
AG
I hope that at least 20,000 of the new students will be grad students. Maybe 10,000 in the Ph.D. program.

The way to attain a higher academic ranking and overall reputation, which is about the main thing in which I am interested, is not just to grow the attendance level, but to grow your graduate programs.

I am just not that pleased that we will be 80,000 students in 10 years.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
I hope that at least 20,000 of the new students will be grad students.
lol they'll be coming from Blinn
annie88
AG
Sharp is boasting that a record number - more than 8,700 students - are graduating this spring and that enrollment could be over 80,000 students in 10 years.

no. just no.
FriscoKid
AG
Way too many people spending money their "careers" can't pay. Does it make you feel smart to graduate with a degree in women's studies or English? If you don't use what you learned in college in your career then you didn't need to go to college.
TexasAggiesWin
S
More people thinking that everyone in the US needs a college degree
oysterbayAG
AG
Math, Engineering, Science, Medicine etc. are serious business. I cant imagine A&M will water down these selective majors. The Dwight Look 25 by 25 is to accommodate the increased demand for Engineers nationwide and in Texas. You can't compare Recreation, Parks & Tourism with Chemical Engineering. It's a tale of two cities !
JJxvi
AG
quote:
Way too many people spending money their "careers" can't pay. Does it make you feel smart to graduate with a degree in women's studies or English? If you don't use what you learned in college in your career then you didn't need to go to college.
This is bull****. "University" is about 2 things. Education and research. "A degree you can use in your career" is what ITT Tech, schools for mechanics, culinary institutes, and clown colleges give out. University is not a trade school and never was designed to be...until now I guess. We're on the cutting edge in that sense I guess.
Personal Best
AG
I think it's bull**** that the university of Phoenix is taking some of our potential customers.

We have one of the best brands/ logos around
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
Math, Engineering, Science, Medicine etc. are serious business. I cant imagine A&M will water down these selective majors. The Dwight Look 25 by 25 is to accommodate the increased demand for Engineers nationwide and in Texas. You can't compare Recreation, Parks & Tourism with Chemical Engineering. It's a tale of two cities !
This is a huge myth that people keep pushing. Some of the engineering fields are flooded with grads. I don't know about all, but we don't need more technology grads.
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
quote:
This is bull****. "University" is about 2 things. Education and research. "A degree you can use in your career" is what ITT Tech, schools for mechanics, culinary institutes, and clown colleges give out. University is not a trade school and never was designed to be...until now I guess. We're on the cutting edge in that sense I guess.
Really? You want a med student that didn't learn about the body? You want an engineer that doesn't know E=MC2?

Spare me the well rounded liberal arts balance makes me a better person garbage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.