Welp, COVID19 is in Bell County

49,265 Views | 649 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agsalaska
aggiejet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not surprised by that at all. He's a worthless ***. Good luck to whoever is fighting for us!
BohunkAg
AG
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/area-leaders-numbers-behind-business-occupancy-rollback-dont-add-up/article_2d208782-028c-11eb-a125-9b014f96b110.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

State trying to roll it back...local county judges are pushing back.
mazzag
AG
Got an email the other day from the high school principal about a probable positive. Got an email today about a lab test positive. Same person? That's probably too convenient to report.
mazzag
AG
agsalaska said:

Yea it is definitely a double edged sword.

I have never seen a sellers market like this, even when I was in Houston pre 2006. It is insane.

My wife and I have been thinking about moving out to the country for a while and already own the land, but the school district out there is garbage. It is tempting to sell though.

Just quoting so you'll check the board. Hope all is well.
c-jags
just a bump.

no BHS and THS game this year which is sad.

I've heard some districts are thinking about not coming back after Thanksgiving to give any cases a time to settle over the holidays. Don't hate it from a standpoint of instead of half the grades missing because of primary contacts with positive cases all of December and they can all just finish out the year, but don't love it from a standpoint of having a bit of normalcy for the kids to finish the year and what that's going to do to parents for a month.
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

just a bump.

I've heard some districts are thinking about not coming back after Thanksgiving to give any cases a time to settle over the holidays. Don't hate it from a standpoint of instead of half the grades missing because of primary contacts with positive cases all of December and they can all just finish out the year, but don't love it from a standpoint of having a bit of normalcy for the kids to finish the year and what that's going to do to parents for a month.
I sure hope not. That puts the parents in a terrible position and the kids will wind up staying with grandparents, other friends, day cares, etc. because parents still have to work. As of right now, I think school would be a better place for them.
c-jags
Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

just a bump.

I sure hope not. That puts the parents in a terrible position and the kids will wind up staying with grandparents, other friends, day cares, etc. because parents still have to work. As of right now, I think school would be a better place for them.
exactly. we're in a unique situation where it is somewhat sustainable, because i work from home when i'm not traveling, and my wife can teach virtually, although it's been a real bear when she's had to do it while we're all in the same room. i can't imagine what that's like for 2 parents working out of the home.

then i read that Biden's plan is for us to shut down for another 4-6 weeks if/when he assumes office. not trying to F16 this thread, but the real world implications of that is absolutely insane. we've been cooped up in a single bedroom apartment during our remodel. i really actually might go insane if we're still in there and this takes effect.
GIF Reactor
AG
c-jags said:

Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

just a bump.

exactly. we're in a unique situation where it is somewhat sustainable, because i work from home when i'm not traveling, and my wife can teach virtually, although it's been a real bear when she's had to do it while we're all in the same room. i can't imagine what that's like for 2 parents working out of the home.

then i read that Biden's plan is for us to shut down for another 4-6 weeks if/when he assumes office. not trying to F16 this thread, but the real world implications of that is absolutely insane. we've been cooped up in a single bedroom apartment during our remodel. i really actually might go insane if we're still in there and this takes effect.
A 4-6 week shutdown for everybody? I hadn't seen that yet.
c-jags
Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

Electrical_Ag said:

c-jags said:

just a bump.

A 4-6 week shutdown for everybody? I hadn't seen that yet.

That is what members of his covid task force are advocating for.

Again, I won't F16 this board, but that is the general consensus.
agsalaska
AG
All things considered I am pretty pleased with BISD so far. My kids are at Lakewood and Lake Belton Middle. They are learning. It certainly isn't perfect or exactly what I would want but compared to what my friends in the big cities are dealing with Il take it.

Daughter and I Spent the evening at Ralph Wilson doing volleyball with the Temple College coach. Most of that stuff is completely closed in the major cities.

Lets hope it stays this way.
agsalaska
AG
Been a while since anyone has posted here.

GIF Reactor
AG
I saw Mazzag's post related to this over in the Land in Llano thread. I watched some of the news conference, and was wondering of anyone knows what is the logic behind the 15% of hospital capacity metric being used as justification for business capacity reductions / closings? This is a sincere question, I'm not trying to instigate or rile anyone up. Thanks.
c-jags
I have a hard time thinking we'll close again. As much as I disagree with Abbot we are doing no worse than areas of the country that remained closed all of December. Abbot has said he's not going to go to lockdown again.

That being said, schools and counties can be a little different. We had one or two firsthand acquaintances that got Covid in the spring, a few more in the summer, and several friends and family members over the break. Lots of my kids' friends tested positive, even some who had been very cautious all of 2020. I think the increase in testing and positive cases have a good chance to bump up to schools' thresholds on going virtual.

I personally don't want to do virtual in our house, but if they said we were going to do the first two weeks virtual just to let things from Christmas settle down a hair and get cases down, I wouldn't like it, but I'd get it and agree with the decision making.

Just my .02. I am a confessed idiot and not a doctor.
agsalaska
AG
If school doesnt start on January 6th I will be furious. There is zero excuse or reason for that other than pandering to the weak. It should be an impeachable offense if it is an elected official.

And my wife is a teacher and I have two kids in school and our family has been hammered by Covid.
GIF Reactor
AG
Looking like it is a go for school this week in BISD. I haven't heard anything otherwise.
mazzag
AG
https://www.kwtx.com/2021/01/06/bars-ordered-to-close-restaurant-and-business-capacity-rolled-back-as-area-covid-19-hospitalizations-rise/

This makes no sense.
GIF Reactor
AG
Agreed. There are a couple of aspects that make no sense to me. First, from where did the 15% threshold originate? Why does that trigger larger percentage reductions in capacity? Second, why are bars singled out for closure and not just capacity reduction? If it is an issue of people gathering, drinking, and then losing their inhibitions and taking down their mask, the same principle would apply to anyone gathering at a restaurant or bar that also serves food along with alcohol. I'm not advocating for a reduction in other assembly occupancies, just an equitable playing field with logical rules. Is it that difficult?
mazzag
AG
Prayer warriors for coach Pete. That's all I can say.
mazzag
AG
His family. Many prayers.
GIF Reactor
AG
Prayers.
agsalaska
AG
Does Covid spread in the snow??

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.