Welp, COVID19 is in Bell County

49,724 Views | 649 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agsalaska
ProgN
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Nice
ProgN
Since Titan gym is temporarily closed, I've started jog/walking 2 miles a day. Today will make 5 in a row.
c-jags
mazzag said:

Welcome friend! So this guy is a lifelong BISD resident and Aggie. He also didn't know this board existed.

I somehow figured he was a Bell county guy on the poliboard.

I think it came up because I frequent his parents' liquor store because it's cheaper than Specs or Twin and closer. If you don't mind getting panhandled outside.
ProgN
You must have gone to Point 4 or 6.
Captain Pablo
AG
Hey now. If it's point 4, they're just asking for money to walk down the street to Goodwill and buy clothes
ProgN
I think that Goodwill closed. That's actually a good store though.

Side note: if all stores have to shut, I have keys and codes for our 6 stores so my centex Ags won't go thirsty
Captain Pablo
AG
Prognightmare said:

I think that Goodwill closed. That's actually a good store though.

Side note: if all stores have to shut, I have keys and codes for our 6 stores so my centex Ags won't go thirsty

c-jags
Prognightmare said:

Which is the one by the police station?

I feel bad for the employees there. Nice folk and they do a great job of interacting with the clientele but I have to imagine they get badgered for money or a running tab all the time.

I give away a little cash there if asked but never more than a few bucks. I'm fine being taken advantage of but they should pick a less obvious spot.

For those that have never been there, i recommend it on a Friday night after payday.
agsalaska
AG
Where is this? Point liquor? in Morgans Point?

Im suddenly interested.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
ProgN
We have

Point 1 in Morgan's Point
Point 2 at Airport Rd and 317
Point 3 In old Albertson's building at 2305 and I-35
Point 4 Downtown Temple on 6th street caddy corner from the Annex

Point 5 440 Plaza in Killeen
Point 6 Now closed but was off Rancier in Killeen
Point 7 is at Bunny Trail and Stan Schlueter loop across from Walmart.
agsalaska
AG
Those are yours?

I didn't know that.

I may or may not go into Point 1 on occasion. Or quite often, depending on your definitions.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
ProgN
c-jags said:

Prognightmare said:

I feel bad for the employees there. Nice folk and they do a great job of interacting with the clientele but I have to imagine they get badgered for money or a running tab all the time.

I give away a little cash there if asked but never more than a few bucks. I'm fine being taken advantage of but they should pick a less obvious spot.

For those that have never been there, i recommend it on a Friday night after payday.
There are no running tabs for retail, only clubs and bars and if they don't pay TABC racks their ass and pulls their licences.

The panhandlers aren't that bad and Point 4 is well lit inside.

With the bars and clubs have to close for COVID we've had some really good days.
ProgN
agsalaska said:

Those are yours?

I didn't know that.

I may or may not go into Point 1 on occasion. Or quite often, depending on your definitions.
Yes sir,

Those are ours. My mom and dad started with Point 1 when only MPR was wet. When Temple went wet I told them to expand or close up shop because liquor is a commodity and "loyal" customers ain't driving to MPR for liquor.

Since my father passed away the past January, I've taken over more of the role he did.
mazzag
AG
Do you have any ever clear?
agsalaska
AG
Cool.

If real estate doesnt pick back up I may need a job!!! I am thinking that 17 years of retail operations on my resume is looking more and more obsolete.

I can sell some liquor!!!

Hey your dad wasn't the old guy at #1 was he?
ProgN
We should, I can call Susie and find out. You need some?
mazzag
AG
I have a small bottle for hand sanitizer. I'm just surprised y'all have some. Nobody else does.
ProgN
No, that was Ron. Due to his age and under request from his doctor and family he quit 2 weeks ago. Too much of a risk with COVID around here. I completely understand but hated to see him go.
ProgN
mazzag said:

I have a small bottle for hand sanitizer. I'm just surprised y'all have some. Nobody else does.
Just called, we're currently sold out. We have orders in for it and when it comes it I'll get a bottle and drop it off at your house when I go pick up my son from his daycare by your house. I don't have him this week though.
mazzag
AG
Thank you!
Captain Pablo
AG
Prognightmare said:

No, that was Ron. Due to his age and under request from his doctor and family he quit 2 weeks ago. Too much of a risk with COVID around here. I completely understand but hated to see him go.

Glad y'all are successful in light of Temple going wet.

So many liquor stores did not know how to succeed in the new era of big box liquor stores

A great example of success is Lubbock

For decades everybody had to go out to the strip

When Lubbock went wet, everybody knew Specs was chomping at the bit

The locally owned stores opened big box liquor stores to compete head on and as far as I know are doing well

Y'all's model was to open smaller stores, but a sh/t load of them

Good locally owned model
ProgN
Thanks, we avoided where Twins and Specs would/will locate, with the exception of our Bunny Trail store but people are routine and we're established in that locale now so I'm not concerned if they come in.

We also buy enough to get the deals. We don't have their buying power yet but our prices are comparable.

Total Wine is a whole other animal. They buy directly from the distillers and wineries from around the world. They have by far the best business model and no one can compete with them. I hope they keep their big asses in the major cities.
ProgN
Quote:

Coming Soon - Decision About Extending Closure
With awareness of the federal recommendation for continued social distancing through April 30, Superintendent Dr. Matt Smith intends to make a decision about extending the district-wide closure in the next 24-48 hours. Dr. Smith and his leadership team continue to be in contact with local and state health officials who are monitoring the COVID-19 situation in our area closely. Thank you for your patience as Belton ISD seeks to make informed decisions in the best interest of our entire Big Red Community.

Update - Grab and Go Meals
Beginning tomorrow, March 31, Grab and Go Meals provided at a Belton ISD campus can be picked up by a parent/guardian without the child present. Adults will have to identify the children who they collect meals for with one of the following Texas Department of Agriculture approved items:
student ID card
student progress report or report card
birth certificate
official letter/email/electronic school application from school listing children enrolled
attendance record from Skyward Family Access printed or electronic, that includes the child name
Tips for Successful Extended Learning
Week 2 extended learning materials are online at www.bisd.net/extendedlearning. Here are some tips to help your family be successful in this new learning environment:
Use Resources That Are Available
Reference the lessons communicated by your child's teacher and at www.bisd.net/extendedlearning.
Develop A Routine That Is Best For You
Make a plan for the day, but know it's OK to make adjustments to fit the family's needs.
Create a Quiet Learning Space
A comfortable space with minimal distractions is perfect for learning from home.
Get Outdoors For Some Vitamin D
Movement and brain breaks are essential. Don't forget to plan for them throughout the day!
Take A Break When You Need It
Your child is used to working independently without 1:1 attention from the teacher at all times. It's OK to remain close to keep them on task, but not feel guilty about allowing them to complete work on their own.
Celebrate The Small Wins
Your child is becoming a more resilient learner - that's great! When the day is done, switch your focus back to "home" life so you can both rest and recharge.
Our goal is to provide opportunities for your child to keep learning. We don't want to add stress or burdens to your family during this already difficult time. Please be in touch with your child's teacher if there are other ways we can support your student and family.

agsalaska
AG
That Alril 30 date sucks, but they could sell me that right now if that meant the kids were 100% guaranteed to go back to school May 1.
ProgN
I suspect kids will not go back this year at all but all will be advance to the next grade.
mazzag
AG
I've got a 5yr old grandson that desperately needs to repeat kindergarten. I REALLY hope he's held back.
agsalaska
AG
Prognightmare said:

I suspect kids will not go back this year at all but all will be advance to the next grade.
Yea me too. Which absolutely sucks.

Not to sound too much like the psycho sports parent, but I coach a 12u girls soccer team at FC Belton and an 8u coach pitch baseball team at BYBA. Both of our teams were really good, and both of my kids are extremely competitive. We can't start again until school starts again. Ive had most of the boys since they were 4 and 5, and the girls since they were 8. This is my last year to coach and we may not get another game in.

Not meaning any disregard for the lessons and such they are missing in their classrooms.
ProgN
This is from an unconfirmed source but they are in the education realm. Kids will not be penalized for this virus shutdown and they will promoted unless the parents request that they be not.
ProgN
That's awful, sorry man.

We need the temps to get into the 90's + and stay there and it will help end this shutdown.
agsalaska
AG
mazzag said:

I've got a 5yr old grandson that desperately needs to repeat kindergarten. I REALLY hope he's held back.
Lots of these types of decisions are going to have to be made. Sucks.

Maybe for him in the end this is a good thing, if they hold him back.
agsalaska
AG
Prognightmare said:

That's awful, sorry man.

We need the temps to get into the 90's + and stay there and it will help end this shutdown.
Ive heard conflicting reports on whether or not the heat matters with this virus. I sure hope it does.
ProgN
From what I've read, it really does. JNJ said today their vaccine will be ready for tests in September. I'm confident we'll have a vaccine that corresponds with flu season, so hopefully this initial shock is an anomaly. With it's rapid progression, it's also building a herd immunity in the people that it doesn't send to the hospital, so that's a positive.
agsalaska
AG
Hope you are right.

Whether someone agrees with this approach or not, we should all hope it works. It's the path we have chosen.

If the heat kills it we live in the right place.
ProgN
No kidding, my dad had an AC business for several years and I came to hate summer. I feel this one is going to be a blister creating furnace.
c-jags
Prognightmare said:

c-jags said:

Prognightmare said:

There are no running tabs for retail, only clubs and bars and if they don't pay TABC racks their ass and pulls their licences.

The panhandlers aren't that bad and Point 4 is well lit inside.

With the bars and clubs have to close for COVID we've had some really good days.

I was joking about the tabs but y'all do advertise the "no asking for money."

I'm sure y'all are doing well. We normally drink maybe 5-6 bottles of liquor a year (bourbon and vodka only really.) We're former baptist so are pretty moderate.

We've gone through 2 of each since this madness started. But then again we're sitting on our deck almost every night now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.