***Houston Food & Drink Scene***

122,802 Views | 854 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Aggie09Derek
Gaeilge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
htxag09 said:

Anyone been keeping up with the drama at Beau Soleil?

Seems a partner locked the other 2 co-owners out and hired the sheriffs department to not let them in.

Found this video on Facebook. I guess one of the co-owners brought an attorney and this seems sketch as hell.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/17swAkZA4t/
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gaeilge said:

htxag09 said:

Anyone been keeping up with the drama at Beau Soleil?

Seems a partner locked the other 2 co-owners out and hired the sheriffs department to not let them in.

Found this video on Facebook. I guess one of the co-owners brought an attorney and this seems sketch as hell.

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/17swAkZA4t/

More from the Chron today:
https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-beausoleil-restaurant-lawsuit-22385989.php
Quote:

In total, the McClendons made over a dozen different allegations against Facundo, including:
  • "Taking unpermitted distributions;"
  • "Submitting false and/or padded invoices;"
  • "Firing staff in fits of rage;"
  • "Emptying the Company bank account leaving it with a negative balance;"
  • "Demanding discounts in excess of the agreed upon partner limit;"
  • "Issuing large personal comps without permission;"
  • "Requesting refunds on already discounted meals;"
  • "Causing loud scenes in front of customers;"
  • "Threatening employees;"
  • "Assaulting Briana McClendon;"
  • "Locking the McClendons out of the business;"
  • "Preventing access to payroll, scheduling and vendors;"
  • "Withholding security footage needed for TWC and insurance purposes;"
  • "Causing payroll tax payments to bounce;"
  • "Refusing to fire employees proven to have committed fraud;" and
  • "Double paying rent to Defendants' own company."


TX04Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I swear restaurant and bars do not know how to vet partners, do due diligence on anything. Always wild to me they have so much drama that could be avoided!
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know that Facundo guy at all but he sure gets sued a lot.
stevopike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
is this same Facundo that had the burger place in the car wash on Ella?
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MAS444 said:

I don't know that Facundo guy at all but he sure gets sued a lot.

Looks like he is in the home construction business and restuarant business. Dude has to be burning money on lawyers constantly.

stevopike said:

is this same Facundo that had the burger place in the car wash on Ella?

Looks like it.
Jugstore Cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was probably the best grill I've ever eaten at inside a car wash/barber shop/lube center/auto garage.
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh no some drama at a restaurant I'll never eat at
randy828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://instagr.am/p/DM-ogWYJBcz
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Neither of those people look real.
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That 'woman' scares the hell outta me. Whatever she represents, count me out.
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And even more restaurant drama:

A new twist in the Trill Burger legal fight - one of the partners died.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/vivares-trill-burgers-houston-dies-22387671.php
Quote:

Benson Vivares, a restaurateur who opened a popular chicken-and-rice concept in Houston and most recently was locked in a yearslong legal battle with his former business partners over the ownership of famed Houston restaurant concept Trill Burgers, has died.

And apparently Mico's Hot Chicken on Shepherd has closed. The owners moved to Denmark 3 years ago and are blaming a road construction project that was completed more than a year ago. They are trying to offload the business to someone, but I will be surprised if they are successful.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-micos-hot-chicken-closed-22385944.php
Quote:

Tuesday, Mico's owners Kimico and Chris Frydenlund announced on social media they were looking for someone to take over the business. The couple and their four children have been living in Chris' hometown of Copenhagen, Denmark, for the past three years. Naturally, it's hard to be hands-on with a business if you're 5,100 miles away.

Quote:

Today, Mico's is closed until further notice. Kimico said they've entertained offers. The hope is that someone buys Mico's outright or enters into a partnership. If neither come through, the restaurant will permanently close.

Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

That 'woman' scares the hell outta me. Whatever she represents, count me out.

If retail management training were a video game, she looks like she would be the final Boss Karen
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
she looks like a freaking thundercat.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RK said:

she looks like a freaking thundercat.

I was thinking the spawn of this guy, but I like your answer better. Especially after watching TC not long ago with the little one.

I Am A Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
One day AI will be advanced enough to show people how awful they'll look after plastic surgery.
Username checks out.
Gaeilge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not entirely food and drink related, but the ballroom at The Rice is caught up in some *****
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hardcore Greg said:

RK said:

she looks like a freaking thundercat.

I was thinking the spawn of this guy, but I like your answer better. Especially after watching TC not long ago with the little one.



Haha, I was thinking it was Kenny Powers' rival.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

And even more restaurant drama:

A new twist in the Trill Burger legal fight - one of the partners died.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/vivares-trill-burgers-houston-dies-22387671.php
Quote:

Benson Vivares, a restaurateur who opened a popular chicken-and-rice concept in Houston and most recently was locked in a yearslong legal battle with his former business partners over the ownership of famed Houston restaurant concept Trill Burgers, has died.

And apparently Mico's Hot Chicken on Shepherd has closed. The owners moved to Denmark 3 years ago and are blaming a road construction project that was completed more than a year ago. They are trying to offload the business to someone, but I will be surprised if they are successful.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-micos-hot-chicken-closed-22385944.php
Quote:

Tuesday, Mico's owners Kimico and Chris Frydenlund announced on social media they were looking for someone to take over the business. The couple and their four children have been living in Chris' hometown of Copenhagen, Denmark, for the past three years. Naturally, it's hard to be hands-on with a business if you're 5,100 miles away.

Quote:

Today, Mico's is closed until further notice. Kimico said they've entertained offers. The hope is that someone buys Mico's outright or enters into a partnership. If neither come through, the restaurant will permanently close.



That sucks....I liked that place. For some reason, I thought it was a black owned business.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Hardcore Greg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
drumboy said:

Hardcore Greg said:

RK said:

she looks like a freaking thundercat.

I was thinking the spawn of this guy, but I like your answer better. Especially after watching TC not long ago with the little one.



Haha, I was thinking it was Kenny Powers' rival.


RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let. The. Boy. Watch.
wessimo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
drumboy said:

Ryan the Temp said:

And even more restaurant drama:

A new twist in the Trill Burger legal fight - one of the partners died.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/vivares-trill-burgers-houston-dies-22387671.php
Quote:

Benson Vivares, a restaurateur who opened a popular chicken-and-rice concept in Houston and most recently was locked in a yearslong legal battle with his former business partners over the ownership of famed Houston restaurant concept Trill Burgers, has died.

And apparently Mico's Hot Chicken on Shepherd has closed. The owners moved to Denmark 3 years ago and are blaming a road construction project that was completed more than a year ago. They are trying to offload the business to someone, but I will be surprised if they are successful.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-micos-hot-chicken-closed-22385944.php
Quote:

Tuesday, Mico's owners Kimico and Chris Frydenlund announced on social media they were looking for someone to take over the business. The couple and their four children have been living in Chris' hometown of Copenhagen, Denmark, for the past three years. Naturally, it's hard to be hands-on with a business if you're 5,100 miles away.

Quote:

Today, Mico's is closed until further notice. Kimico said they've entertained offers. The hope is that someone buys Mico's outright or enters into a partnership. If neither come through, the restaurant will permanently close.



That sucks....I liked that place. For some reason, I thought it was a black owned business.


You be the judge.

I do think Mico's went downhill after the move. The one and only time I went to the new location, the inside of the place was a mess and my sandwich wasn't nearly as good as the ones I'd had from their old spot.
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gaeilge said:

Not entirely food and drink related, but the ballroom at The Rice is caught up in some *****

The company that ran the venue was also the company that ran Sambuca. They declared chapter 7 bankruptcy. You've gotta be messing up other concepts badly to not be making bank running a wedding venue.
digging tunnels
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RK said:

she looks like a freaking thundercat.

holy sheet! she DOES look like a spawn of Lion-O and Cheetarah
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

And even more restaurant drama:

A new twist in the Trill Burger legal fight - one of the partners died.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/vivares-trill-burgers-houston-dies-22387671.php
Quote:

Benson Vivares, a restaurateur who opened a popular chicken-and-rice concept in Houston and most recently was locked in a yearslong legal battle with his former business partners over the ownership of famed Houston restaurant concept Trill Burgers, has died.

And apparently Mico's Hot Chicken on Shepherd has closed. The owners moved to Denmark 3 years ago and are blaming a road construction project that was completed more than a year ago. They are trying to offload the business to someone, but I will be surprised if they are successful.
https://www.chron.com/food/article/houston-micos-hot-chicken-closed-22385944.php
Quote:

Tuesday, Mico's owners Kimico and Chris Frydenlund announced on social media they were looking for someone to take over the business. The couple and their four children have been living in Chris' hometown of Copenhagen, Denmark, for the past three years. Naturally, it's hard to be hands-on with a business if you're 5,100 miles away.

Quote:

Today, Mico's is closed until further notice. Kimico said they've entertained offers. The hope is that someone buys Mico's outright or enters into a partnership. If neither come through, the restaurant will permanently close.




Opening a restaurant and then leaving the country probably isn't the best business move.
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Benson was a solid, solid dude. He and his sister basically created that burger recipe for Trill. They got screwed by Bun and Scurfield, but whatever. RIP to the homie. A real Houston guy.
Mat Lanticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Proudly have not had a trill burger.

Bun needs to stick to rapping and not Rice-ing or being the face of an over priced burger joint.
Chewy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone tried the new Terry Black's? Drove by on Sunday at 11:15. Pretty crowded but not crazy packed.

Curious how the line was for anyone that has tried it.

Heard Truth lines have been down the last week which makes sense.
Chewy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks to everyone's words of encouragement on here, I decided to give Terry Black's a try.

I got there at 10:40 as I had an early start at the factory this morning. A few people there but mostly empty.

You go through the sides first and then to the meat cutters. They had eight or so meat stations which after thinking about it seems really efficient so one person isn't holding everyone up.

I have to say the staffing was insane. Five or six people on the sides and then a couple of people at each meat station. One cutting and one running the register.

Then they had another 5-6 people helping in the dining area bringing plates and utensils along with drink refills and to go containers.

I've never seen a BBQ joint staffed quite like this. Maybe just first week/month stuff but employees everywhere ready to help.

As for the food, it's great. I'm not over craft BBQ, but it doesn't wow me like it used to. It's really good but not different than what I've had at other top places.

It's definitely a great place to take people that want to experience Texas BBQ for the first time. It's also great for a group of people.

As for the facility, they did an amazing job on the buildout. It's the physically biggest craft BBQ place in town. Not by a huge margin but definitely the biggest. It can hold a lot of people.

It's up there with Truth and Pinkerton's as the big known names in town as far as quality of food and experience.

Have to imagine those two take a slight hit due to proximity.

As I was leaving at 11:15, the line was starting to form but looked like it was moving. Parking lot was about 70% full it seemed like and it's a big parking lot.

They did a wonderful job with it.

Just like others on here encouraged me to go, I encourage you to go. At least for the experience.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
nice report out. Thanks!

Taking some pressure off of Truth/Pinkertons (so I can bring out-of-town guests by without waiting forever) is a big plus for me.
Gaeilge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've used the popularity and new smell of Terry Black's as an opportunity to go to Truth and not wait forever.
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice.
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Diggity said:

nice report out. Thanks!

Taking some pressure off of Truth/Pinkertons (so I can bring out-of-town guests by without waiting forever) is a big plus for me.

It's funny how 5-6 years ago, Houston was basically barren of top tier BBQ then suddenly the heavy hitters all converge into the city.
7nine
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

As for the food, it's great. I'm not over craft BBQ, but it doesn't wow me like it used to. It's really good but not different than what I've had at other top places.



Better than Tow TX BBQ?
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Diggity said:

nice report out. Thanks!

Taking some pressure off of Truth/Pinkertons (so I can bring out-of-town guests by without waiting forever) is a big plus for me.

It's funny how 5-6 years ago, Houston was basically barren of top tier BBQ then suddenly the heavy hitters all converge into the city.

Just in time for beef prices to become so expensive that a Texas BBQ meal is a luxury choice.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.