Houston
Sponsored by

***HLSR 2023***

67,026 Views | 752 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

digging tunnels said:

Tex117 said:

How any one can be up there almost every night and enjoy it is beyond my comprehension.

For me:

1. Love live music. Yeah it's only an hour, but I get to watch artists I like for free

2. Hang out with friends that I don't see on a regular basis and reconnect. Some have families or live far away so it's a chance to reconnect.
Also applies to seeing fellow committeemen who I only see once a year at rodeo

3. My drinks are only $4. First couple of nights I was able to drink doubles of Weller 12 for $8.

4. The scenery is plentiful everywhere

I would add all the different events. From the Horse Show, Ranch rodeo, Ag Mechanics, ect. there is always something to see or do. 20 for 20 isnt for everyone, it gets addicting being out there though.

Agreed. There is so much out there to see and do, in addition to just hanging out in the WG or other places. If you you only focus on the concerts, you are missing out on so much.
digging tunnels
AG
The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

I've never been to the auction breakfasts. I've heard they're really good. Are they worth the hype to get up early and go to? And are they different plates for each auction?
IT is absolutely worth it to show up for them. You will see an entirely different side of Rodeo.

Please elaborate the different side.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
digging tunnels said:

The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

I've never been to the auction breakfasts. I've heard they're really good. Are they worth the hype to get up early and go to? And are they different plates for each auction?
IT is absolutely worth it to show up for them. You will see an entirely different side of Rodeo.

I have an opinion on this but will wait for his answer, curious what someone not on an auction committee thinks
lil99chris
AG
https://www.outkick.com/rodeo-prca-world-engulfed-in-drama-after-cowboy-beau-cooper-gets-screwed-out-of-50000
Diggity
AG
From your link.

I'm a new fan of this Beau character for sure

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Beau-Cooper-rodeo
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Diggity said:

From your link.

I'm a new fan of this Beau character for sure

https://www.gofundme.com/f/Beau-Cooper-rodeo
Absolutely, what a great gesture.

Quote:

"Caleb rolled the ride by side this morning trying to get some yearlings in and he wasn't wearing a seatbelt so he tried to jump and it rolled over on top of him.
Luckily, Murphy was there, so she called 911 and they life flighted him to Spokane.
He broke his left knee and completely crushed his T12, which has severely severed his spinal cord, and he has no feeling from the bottom of his ribs down. They are planning on doing surgery tomorrow around 11 to fix the vertebrae and at this point we just have to pray he gets feeling back into his legs.
unfortunately, if this mans spinal cord is severed, he will never walk again.
The Wonderer
AG
digging tunnels said:

The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

It's a different energy and people. I think it's a bit of a throwback to the old days with the pomp and circumstance leading up to the auction's opening. When you think about it, the auctions are the true mission of the Rodeo and it shows in the people there for it.
abomba
AG
The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

It's a different energy and people. I think it's a bit of a throwback to the old days with the pomp and circumstance leading up to the auction's opening. When you think about it, the auctions are the true mission of the Rodeo and it shows in the people there for it.
Attending and participating in the auctions reminds me of a huge part of the Show's mission - a portion of the funds go to the exhibitors who qualify for the auction, and a portion goes to the overall Education Fund. It's a big part of how HLSR gives away over $20M a year in scholarships and grants. In addition, getting to know these young students and seeing them put in so much work gives me hope for the future. And then there's the fun of dressing up and seeing our rodeo family!
rcb
AG
My dad was on Auctions and Receptions back in the day. Man he has some great stories. One of his favorite things was visiting with Col. Britten, the great auctioneer. Dad's uncle ran cattle next to the Britten's place, and the families were close. Col. Britten didn't drink but would ask my dad for a little bit of the "punch" they served back then, just to loosen up his vocal cords. Dad got a kick out of that. He loved that committee but when they moved back to Bryan, he got on Parade because it didn't have as big of a time commitment.

Great memories of being out there basically every day growing up as mom was also on Breeder Greeter and seemed like all my friends folks were on a committee. We would get out of school and head to the Dome. Whichever parent driving that day would park, give us a badge or two and tell us to meet back at the car 30 minutes after rodeo ended. It was a blast.
JSKolache
AG

digging tunnels said:

Tex117 said:

How any one can be up there almost every night and enjoy it is beyond my comprehension.

For me:

1. Love live music. Yeah it's only an hour, but I get to watch artists I like for free

2. Hang out with friends that I don't see on a regular basis and reconnect. Some have families or live far away so it's a chance to reconnect.

3. My drinks are only $4. First couple of nights I was able to drink doubles of Weller 12 for $8.

I would add all the different events. From the Horse Show, Ranch rodeo, Ag Mechanics, ect. there is always something to see or do. 20 for 20 isnt for everyone, it gets addicting being out there though.
Spend way more time in the tent, barn, carnival, and horse arena than the stadium. Actually ventured into the stadium this year for like 10 mins.
Dr. Horrible
I'm not a 20/20 guy out there, but like 17/20. Try to keep at least one day a week at home. But it's funny how even on those days I was wishing I was back out there.
But that's also only the show days. Started going out there a week before for setup and the day after for tear down. Probably a total of 26 or 27 days on the grounds this year. Loved every minute of it, but so glad it's over.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

The Wonderer said:

digging tunnels said:

Way back in the day all the auctions were on the same day. Poultry was last, so we had a skit that would make fun of the high ups and PAC leadership. After the auctions moved to having their own day, we kept the skit until 2010.

You are pretty much spot on what I think. Auction committees bring all committees to our events whereas the working committees are only their members for the most part. You will see e-board members, all the VPs, a lot of LVPs ect at the auctions. So if you want to see who runs rodeo, the breakfast and auctions are the place to do it.
Tex117
AG
digging tunnels said:

Tex117 said:

For me:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

For me:

Sure....you have made a case for "a few times", but the point was "almost every night."

Not being critical. I'm glad yall are enjoying it. Just...whew...man...I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
digging tunnels
AG
It helps to:

- have no kids
- live close to stadium
- live close to and start work at 9am
The Wonderer
AG
digging tunnels said:

It helps to:

- have no kids
- live close to stadium in the loop
- live close to and start work at 9am own the company and make your own hours
FIFM
07ag
AG
Went to the ranch rodeo once this year, but had to leave after about 15 minutes because toddler threw a fit that she couldn't go play with the horses
https://ts.la/eric59704
Dr. Horrible
I did not get to see one single minute of wild cow milking this year…
bigjag19
AG
So is the hanging video set up property of the park then? Looks like it's same one up for Final Four
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
bigjag19 said:

So is the hanging video set up property of the park then? Looks like it's same one up for Final Four

If it belongs to the park, then It belongs to Lina
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Hey man, you might have already heard, but our mutual buddy Monte - who I was hanging out with when we met at Red River - passed away. Just found out there will be a memorial service next week.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/houstonchronicle/name/monte-jones-obituary?id=51640331
TXAG 05
AG
Yep, truly heartbreaking and will miss him terribly. We went to Red River on Monday to toast him. Will be there on Tuesday as well.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
He was one of the good guys.
TXAG 05
AG
Microwave Onions said:

He was one of the good guys.

For sure. One of the best.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'll probably be one of the urban cowboys with square toe boots on Tuesday.
TXAG 05
AG
Microwave Onions said:

I'll probably be one of the urban cowboys with square toe boots on Tuesday.

Tough event. We are in the parking lot tailgating and drinking tequila as Monte would be doing if he was still here
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Sounds fitting; glad you were able to make it. I've been a little under the weather and decided to just stay home - all freaking day today. Large memorial service didn't seem like the right place to be coughing and hacking up...not a good look
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I am so thankful I was able to spend his last Top Hands event with him and grabbed a copy of one of the pics we took together. I met Monty outside of HLSR. He walked into my office one day trying to rent some equipment. We instantly became friends. I am going to miss him.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
saw this video with Monty in it on the Volunteer newsletter that

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
It's still weird not being able to talk to him. i wasn't involved in the rodeo as long as some of yall, but knew him from the neighborhood and other walks of life, and we had a lot of mutual friends in this small weird world of ours.

No reason for bumping this thread other than we should be having a drink right now and I can hear his voice.

And, FWA, I remember him talking about having a soft spot for you because he knew your grandad on the east side or something.

"Oh what a friend we have in Jesus"
TXAG 05
AG
I've picked up my phone so many times to call or text him about this or that, or to let him know we were heading somewhere for beers and then remember that he isn't there. I've lost some good friends, but this one hurts more.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah. He was someone who would answer the phone or call back right away. Or just roll up on me when I was out walking the dog, and let some neighbors wonder why this guy was yelling at me.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
First time I met MJ, he comes bumbling into our office yelling (or talking in Monty voice) about how he needs to rent equipment. Our office is just down the street from where he grew up. That was my 1st interaction with him, way before rodeo stuff.

Did yall see the pins Special Children's had made?
TXAG 05
AG

Did yall see the pins Special Children's had made?

Yes, helped design them.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I need to get a couple more from Stacey, I gave the one I had away to someone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.