Houston
Sponsored by

***HLSR 2023***

67,027 Views | 752 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Mustang1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I could not understand any lyrics tonight. Terrible backfeed.

And the wine garden was an epic cluster.
Diggity
AG
The vocals were never great but they did improve.

Song #2 sounded like Evan was at the bottom of a well.

Dr. Horrible
Mustang1 said:

I could not understand any lyrics tonight. Terrible backfeed.

And the wine garden was an epic cluster.
How is this different than any other night?
BayAg_14
Only place you could understand the lyrics tonight were in the restroom.
Sea Speed
AG
Ag81Golf said:

We need an update on how she did!

She made it to the fence and is BEGGING to go back to do it again.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I could hear the vocals fine up in the 500's, but oddly enough I noticed like at least 3 different mixes on the drums. Like they were just fuzz on the opening to Lorrie. Than on another song, could just hear the sticks hitting the rims. Later, they got it right.

Felker seemed focused and good as far as I could tell. Obviously wouldn't compare to a smaller venue.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
https://www.rodeohouston.com/News/Article/ArtMID/494/ArticleID/3155/2023-Four-New-World-Records-Set-at-the-Houston-Livestock-Show-and-Rodeo-Junior-Market-Poultry-Auction?fbclid=IwAR2Hkn06Rd1o2-YMQxN9w9g0bVrNqBuKmy_ANqGJMzmyiT3-HAmQtNjHAno
TXAG 05
AG
Was up in directors and it sounded great
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
digging tunnels
AG
So happy Turnpike came back. However acoustics royally sucked. I was down 1st level Row G and that may have been the worst sound I've heard for any concert I've ever seen there

Nevertheless, Turnpike was a total 180 from the show a few years ago when Evan was zoned out, per se. When you could hear them, they sounded great. However they played a helluva short set. That barely made an hour (seemed that way anyway). I was wanting way more. Think that may have been the shortest rodeo set I've ever seen
Dr. Horrible
Way to go FWA!
Even if it was to those raiders
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

Way to go FWA!
Even if it was to those raiders

It still hasn't sunk in. Going to be a good year for all the auctions.
Diggity
AG
I was very similar level so that must have been a bad spot
AgLA06
AG
Did they not get in early enough to do sound check?

We were in the club and the first 2 songs he was off key. Then they turned his mike down for song 3. Then back up and he sounded pretty good. Rest of the show was pretty good.
bigjag19
AG
I assume they leave stage out from day before and let the band have it in the morning? What time would they have to put it back pre show?
AgLA06
AG
A couple of hours before.
Chewy
AG
Rodeo needs to hire whoever does the sounds for Zac Brown Band full time. They're consistently the best sounding act and it's usually pretty clear from the jump. By a few songs it's usually dialed in real strong.

Even with the sound issues it was great to see Felker happy. I saw them at White Oak last year but seeing them at Rodeo on that rotating stage with 70K+ in attendance is pretty special.

It's crazy to think Turnpike was almost done for. Glad to see all the guys happy together and performing. They're really one of a kind in Red Dirt.

Rodeo will never be the greatest concert but it's still a spectacle unlike any other. That's good enough for me.
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Left there happy last night no matter how bad the sound was just for the fact of seeing Felker happy, healthy, and onstage in the venue where some of his issues were so apparent a few years ago.

For me at least, his last rodeo show was almost the sign of an inevitable end so glad he's got it back together seemingly
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
Anyone have Stapleton tix?
Dr. Horrible
I do
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
looking for 4 if you or anyone has some. Kiddos love his music.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Any of you old people brave the Hideout last night? I was looking forward to cheap drinks and being skeevy, but the human crush between NRG & the midway was enough to say screw it and leave.

The genius brain trust at Rodeo Express finally decided to stop fighting people trying to exit from the volunteer gate onto West Bellfort, so getting out from the back of the lost wasn't too terrible.
TXAG 05
AG
Microwave Onions said:

Any of you old people brave the Hideout last night? I was looking forward to cheap drinks and being skeevy, but the human crush between NRG & the midway was enough to say screw it and leave.

The genius brain trust at Rodeo Express finally decided to stop fighting people trying to exit from the volunteer gate onto West Bellfort, so getting out from the back of the lost wasn't too terrible.

I don't think I've been in the hideout since they had Gretchen Wilson in there.
chris2010
AG
PuryearFratDaddy
AG
Anyone have a link or know a few favorite activities/auctions 11 or later tomorrow or Tuesday until 3, Monday?

Been awhile to Houston and go to SA rodeo/livestock regularly and event list on HLSR site is underwhelming, guessing is just me.
TXAG 05
AG
Download the app. It has a detailed schedule of all events
Hwy30East
PuryearFratDaddy said:

Anyone have a link or know a few favorite activities/auctions 11 or later tomorrow or Tuesday until 3, Monday?

Been awhile to Houston and go to SA rodeo/livestock regularly and event list on HLSR site is underwhelming, guessing is just me.
I would suggest you download the HLSR App. There is a pretty good daily schedule on it.
Jack Klompus
AG
Congratulations on a record breaking year! Can you give us a behind the scenes look at how this whole process works?

Guessing the committee is responsible for identifying buyers from their list of contacts, etc. and that the committee has a good feeling of which group(s) is going to win the grand champion auction before it even starts.

When does the process start of identifying buyers? Next week?

$300K is a life-changing amount of money. Does it all go to the Grand Champion or does the champion get a % of the winning bid and the rest goes to the general scholarship fund?
JYDog90
AG
The student gets a 4 yr scholarship and the rest goes to general scholarship fund
digging tunnels
AG
Kids only get a max amount of money, not percent of winnings, up to a certain dollar amount. IIRC, last year they only received max of $75k.

So technically 1st and 2nd place would receive same amount of scholarship money
AgLA06
AG
Willy Wonka said:

The student gets a 4 yr scholarship and the rest goes to general scholarship fund
This. It's capped at a certain dollar amount for a scholarship, but you are also guaranteed a minimum per place position. Everything else goes to pay for all the other scholarships. It's generally about $15M a year in scholarships.

Here's the link to guaranteed minimums and cap amounts if you want to see each category.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Get-Involved/Exhibitors-Participants/Livestock-Show
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Jack Klompus said:

Congratulations on a record breaking year! Can you give us a behind the scenes look at how this whole process works?

Guessing the committee is responsible for identifying buyers from their list of contacts, etc. and that the committee has a good feeling of which group(s) is going to win the grand champion auction before it even starts.

When does the process start of identifying buyers? Next week?

$300K is a life-changing amount of money. Does it all go to the Grand Champion or does the champion get a % of the winning bid and the rest goes to the general scholarship fund?
I am extremely exhausted still, but this is my best explanation in the state of mind I am currently lol.

Yes, the auction committees (Poultry, Steer, Swine, Lamb & Goat and School art) are responsible for securing purchase commitments to the auction. We will start getting donations in the fall but it usually picks up in January after the concerts are announced.

There are two ways to think about growing sales, new donors outside the HLSR family and then within the HLSR committee family. A majority of our donors are already HLSR members that support the auctions, but there are still a lot of HLSR members that do not fully understand what other committees do, especially the auctions. We are always wanting new buyers which is typically a result from new members coming on or younger committee members bringing more friends around.

The idea is to have the top 4 lots locked up as much as possible before the auction. Organizing that is the responsibility of the chairman. I was fortunate enough to have a few things fall into place this year to were I had 8 groups for 4 spots. So it turned into a true auction with some big time money guys bidding against each other.

Here is how the payments are distributed. I want to try to get more $ to my exhibitors than to the general education fund in the future. After all the bills are paid and the ed fund has been given their $, the left over $ is distributed to the exhibitors.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the-Rodeo/Livestock-Horse-Show/Auctions-Sales

Chewy
AG
Congrats FWA. Wonderful work by you and your team.
BohunkAg
AG
So there's no situation where someone can just walk up and buy something? Sorry I've never done one of these before.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
yes, that happens all the time. They would just have to register to bid

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.