Houston
Sponsored by

***HLSR 2023***

67,021 Views | 752 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
sixbarag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
And Beau Cooper got screwed out of the tie-down roping win by a faulty barrier and the line judge did not overturn. Ray Charles could see he was out clean and the barrier failed to trip.
PRCA needs to step up and get instant replay in the sport, too much money involved to rely on a blind judge.

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
H-town ag said:

Back to Rodeo ... Anyone see JB Mauney's chute accident on Sunday's Bull riding?

It was a scary moment. We thought it was going to be way worse by the way everyone reacted.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

what the hell is a "MichAugua"?
amazing hangover cure
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Quote:

Poultry: $3,302,960

Eight auction Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion lots set Rodeo records

Junior Market Pen of Broilers
Grand Champion: $300,000 (Rodeo record)
Reserve Grand Champion: $175,000 (Rodeo record)

Junior Market Turkey
Grand Champion: $200,000 (Rodeo record)
Reserve Grand Champion: $195,000 (Rodeo record)
We had 1/2 the records this year.

The previous total sales record was last year at $2.8.

to quote the opening act Parker McCollum, its been a hell of a year
Hwy30East
Well done FWA and your Team!
Dr. Horrible
Almost caught those lamb and goats!
TXAG 05
AG
Did rodeo seem to go by really fast for anyone else? Cookoff was a month ago but feels like it was last week.
digging tunnels
AG
It always flies by. Especially when you're there almost every night
TXAG 05
AG
I'm there almost all the nights too, but for some reason this year felt like it went by in a flash compared to normal.
htxag09
AG
I think I'm still hungover from turnpike night….
Tex117
AG
How any one can be up there almost every night and enjoy it is beyond my comprehension.

Today's winner for the General Board Burrito Lottery is:

Tex117
rcb
AG
Congratulations FWA, that's really impressive. Raised broilers for the Katy show (Taylor FFA) back when Katy and Taylor were the only two high schools, so it always amazes me to see these auction prices nowadays.

On another note, wonder why the steer price was down? Didn't the champion bring $1M last year? I believe Fort Worth brought more than Houston this year.

Always sad to see the show end. Simply amazing what it's grown to and all the good the show does. I love the rodeo!
Diggity
AG
Mayde Creek wasn't raising chickens? Maybe fighting them at least.
rcb
AG
LOL, no Mayde Creek high then (graduated in '85). Did go to Mayde Creek Jr High though. Proud Gator
Diggity
AG
nice...I'm pretty sure my sister graduated from THS about that same time.

For some reason, I always thought Mayde Creek was second and Taylor was third.
bigjag19
AG
MC was always the ******* child.

Somehow still are too.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Tex117 said:

How any one can be up there almost every night and enjoy it is beyond my comprehension.

I don't know, but being on a working committee can make it seem like exactly as long as it is. Only goes by fast when you're planning to do stuff after shift, but work later than planned and everyone just goes home.
jetch17
AG
People that went to MC
rcb
AG
Diggity said:

Yeah, Taylor was brand new my freshman year. Weirdest thing was we lived in Fleetwood, there at the end of Memorial close to Hwy 6. I was much closer to Stratford, but apparently being west of Buffalo Bayou was the cutoff for Katy ISD.

It was a great place to grow up back then. Could walk to the original Lupe Tortilla in Addicks. And good old Charlie's Hamburgers.
n_touch
jetch17 said:

People that went to MC

I agree and so would most of the people that I graduated with from there lol
htxag09
AG
Hey…my wife went to MC
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I always liked your area. Had lots of friends from Fleetwood and Barkers Landing.
bigjag19
AG
jetch17 said:

People that went to MC

Truly the vile scum of Houston. My cousin says hi.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Does anyone have 2024 cook off wrist bands??
TXAG 05
AG
Tex117 said:

Obviously you don't like to have to fun.

digging tunnels
AG
Tex117 said:

For me:

1. Love live music. Yeah it's only an hour, but I get to watch artists I like for free

2. Hang out with friends that I don't see on a regular basis and reconnect. Some have families or live far away so it's a chance to reconnect.
Also applies to seeing fellow committeemen who I only see once a year at rodeo

3. My drinks are only $4. First couple of nights I was able to drink doubles of Weller 12 for $8.

4. The scenery is plentiful everywhere
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
rcb said:

Congratulations FWA, that's really impressive. Raised broilers for the Katy show (Taylor FFA) back when Katy and Taylor were the only two high schools, so it always amazes me to see these auction prices nowadays.

On another note, wonder why the steer price was down? Didn't the champion bring $1M last year? I believe Fort Worth brought more than Houston this year.

Always sad to see the show end. Simply amazing what it's grown to and all the good the show does. I love the rodeo!
Steer was a one time deal where the buyer was turning 90 on the 90th anniversary. It was a moment I will never forget being at. They did a good job with their total numbers, just didn't set records. It is actually better for the exhibitors that they didnt just have 2 records then their numbers fall off.

The kid that won reserve won reserve last year too, that was pretty cool.

The Grand champion Turkey family didnt even bring a change of clothes to sift and judging. They were just coming down for the day. The dad had to call his boss and tell him he wasnt coming in on Friday. They were in shock, it was a cool moment.
digging tunnels
AG
I've never been to the auction breakfasts. I've heard they're really good. Are they worth the hype to get up early and go to? And are they different plates for each auction?
The Wonderer
AG
digging tunnels said:

I've never been to the auction breakfasts. I've heard they're really good. Are they worth the hype to get up early and go to? And are they different plates for each auction?
IT is absolutely worth it to show up for them. You will see an entirely different side of Rodeo.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
digging tunnels said:

Tex117 said:

For me:

1. Love live music. Yeah it's only an hour, but I get to watch artists I like for free

2. Hang out with friends that I don't see on a regular basis and reconnect. Some have families or live far away so it's a chance to reconnect.
Also applies to seeing fellow committeemen who I only see once a year at rodeo

3. My drinks are only $4. First couple of nights I was able to drink doubles of Weller 12 for $8.

4. The scenery is plentiful everywhere

I would add all the different events. From the Horse Show, Ranch rodeo, Ag Mechanics, ect. there is always something to see or do. 20 for 20 isnt for everyone, it gets addicting being out there though.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
digging tunnels said:

We each do it differently and do . This year my theme was Kentucky Derby, so we had build your own breakfast sandwiches and chicken biscuits on top of everything else. Swine does a heavy pork theme and L&G changes it up every year.
AgLA06
AG
Also impacted by stage of life and career freedom to do so. Easy when you're young and kid and carefree. Easier when the kids are older and can take care of themselves or out of the house and you have more financial freedom to have fun.

I lived that life during a run up the ranks. Now with young kids, we more pick and choose.
cajunaggie08
AG
htxag09 said:

Hey…my wife went to MC
Same. She knows Spanish really well because of it.
cajunaggie08
AG
rcb said:

Diggity said:

Yeah, Taylor was brand new my freshman year. Weirdest thing was we lived in Fleetwood, there at the end of Memorial close to Hwy 6. I was much closer to Stratford, but apparently being west of Buffalo Bayou was the cutoff for Katy ISD.

It was a great place to grow up back then. Could walk to the original Lupe Tortilla in Addicks. And good old Charlie's Hamburgers.
I always assumed the school district boundaries were created prior to the reservoirs existing because it makes no sense for Fleetwood and all the houses south of 10 and west of Eldridge to be part of Katy ISD.
bigjag19
AG
There are many questionable school district boundaries.

I grew up less than a mile from Dobie in Pasadena, but was in CCISD. There were 3 JH in Pasadena closer than the one I went to. Not complaining for the record.

Shadow Creek is in Alvin ISD, despite being very much part of Pearland.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.