Houston
Sponsored by

Can we get to 500 murders this year?

128,324 Views | 1088 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
SW AG80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The $1000 bond (actually $500) is on cases out of Milwaukee.
Boo Weekley
Sea Speed said:

What on earth could have happened in January of 2019. Damn. Just can't figure it out.
Sorry if a dumb question but can someone refresh my memory on this? So much has happened since then it's almost a blur.

EDIT: Doh, nevermind. Confirmed, I am an idiot.
Al Bula
AG
+6 at least this weekend. Not sure what all went on last night.

https://abc13.com/houston-murder-crime-six-people-killed-thanksgiving-day/11275873/
98Ag99Grad
AG
I read Philly hit 500 early last week.
maroon barchetta
This guy had his bond set at $1 million even though he was not out on bond for previous crimes or on parole for being a violent felon.

I wonder what is different about him that brought the higher bond. I'm fine with it, it's just not the way we have seen it in recent years.

https://abc13.com/kingwood-deadly-shooting-person-killed-tyler-binette-cortland-town-center-apartments/11277907/
ChemAg15
AG
He's white.
CW Griswold
October stats are in for the COH and it was a bad month. For 2021 to the end of October there have been 403 non-negligent murders. That puts us on a projected year end total of 484 murders.

The cooler weather is not helping with the cheeeling apparently.
Sea Speed
AG
Woof. Wonder what Harris County as a whole is.
CW Griswold
A little more background, there were 56 murders in October, or a rate of 1.8 per day. Almost 2 murders a day in the COH for Oct!

Yeah that's sad, but man Beto sure can ride the **** out of that skateboard.

CORRECTION
There were actually 60 murders in October, for a rate of 1.94 per day. The trifecta of Ogg, Turner, and Hidalgo are doing a bang up job!
texasaggie2015
AG
EDIT: I'm dumb... long day at work. I misread the article and thought she was killed. This says she was just injured.

Woman shot during road rage incident in north Harris County, HCSO says (click2houston.com)

Haven't seen this posted already. Unreal.

What the hell is up with all these road rage shootings?
txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

EDIT: I'm dumb... long day at work. I misread the article and thought she was killed. This says she was just injured.

Woman shot during road rage incident in north Harris County, HCSO says (click2houston.com)

Just wait...somebody is going to come along soon and start comparing the numbers and say it is because constitutional carry was legalized.
texasaggie2015
AG
North Freeway NB shut down after police find man dead with gunshot wound inside vehicle (msn.com)

Another one.
sts7049
AG
the number of freeway shootings is mind boggling
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
txags92 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Just wait...somebody is going to come along soon and start comparing the numbers and say it is because constitutional carry was legalized.

I am surprised it hasnt happened yet.
texasaggie2015
AG
I have a friend of mine who accidentally cut someone off on 99 a couple months back. He was in her blind spot when she tried changing lanes. It happens.

Next thing she knew, her back driver side windshield got shot out. She was fine but definitely spooked. I don't know much of the details, I'm just going off what she posted on Facebook.

I'll never understand how someone can get that angry over such a small thing. Yeah, I've been pissed off in traffic too. But just take a breath. Relax. You won't even remember getting cut off by the time you get home.
txags92
AG
I think it is pretty easy to explain. When you stop prosecuting criminals for lesser crimes, they stop feeling like there are consequences for what they do. So when somebody in traffic pisses them off, they start shooting.
Al Bula
AG
txags92 said:

I think it is pretty easy to explain. When you stop prosecuting criminals for lesser crimes, they stop feeling like there are consequences for what they do. So when somebody in traffic pisses them off, they start shooting.
There's also the cultural problem of not being able to consider consequences of actions.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Easy, Rod said:

txags92 said:

There's also the cultural problem of not being able to consider consequences of actions.

Yep...dumb is dangerous.
FourAggies
AG
My HOA hosted a meeting with Crime Stoppers and Citizens United Against Crime. Most of what they presented won't surprise this board.

Crime Stoppers is a charitable organization and has to stay away from political action. For about 2 years, they have been trying to get the message out that the rise in crime is due to bail reform. Says that the issue is within county government, more so the judges than the DA (DA has recommended 12,000 motions to revoke bond, but magistrates have only allowed 20%).

Two large things that happened in 2019 were, 1) A federal judge ruled that Harris County bail practices were unconstitutional when they required bail for misdemeanors, except when related to domestic violence or assault. With the last election, the new judges are taking this view on bail at the felony level, apparently for most violations. 2) Harris County created a Justice Administration Department in late 2019, which has been heavily staffed by anti-jail proponents. They help set the policy for criminal reform.

County Judge Rodney Elllis has been the biggest advocate for the bail reform. He states that since the arrestee has the presumption of innocence until convicted, they should not be held in jail, just because they don't have enough money to make bail.

Crime Stoppers provided lots of stats for the increase and the timing related to this activity. They are seeing push back from the criminal reform people. Judges used to fine all felony arrestees $25 that went to Crime Stoppers for the tip line reward program. Most judges have stopped doing this, dropping their prior year funds by 80%. People are calling media outlets to ask the news outlets to stop using Crime Stoppers as a source for their reporting.

CUAC is a relatively new grassroots political organization, currently focused on awareness. They are organizing people to testify at hearings, sign petitions, and email/call officials. I expect that they will get more specific as elections come nearer.

Both of these groups are looking for opportunities to spread their message to the community. They are willing to get together with any citizen groups that are interested in hearing more.

Sea Speed
AG
Thanks for this post, it is really interesting. Did they mention what people could do on an individual level if you aren't with a group? Id be interested in volunteering
Ronnie
AG
Quote:

Crime Stoppers provided lots of stats for the increase and the timing related to this activity. They are seeing push back from the criminal reform people. Judges used to fine all felony arrestees $25 that went to Crime Stoppers for the tip line reward program. Most judges have stopped doing this, dropping their prior year funds by 80%. People are calling media outlets to ask the news outlets to stop using Crime Stoppers as a source for their reporting.
weird. cui bono?
Jackal99
AG
Sea Speed said:

Thanks for this post, it is really interesting. Did they mention what people could do on an individual level if you aren't with a group? Id be interested in volunteering
I would also like to volunteer....to kick Rodney Ellis in his ****ing balls.
FourAggies
AG
I had to Google cui bono. The social justice groups don't like the message that Crime Stoppers has, so they are putting pressure on the media to essential silence Crime Stoppers.
FourAggies
AG
Maybe there's an opportunity to get a group of Houston Aggies to host a meeting, if there's interest.

Right now their call to action was to be available to contact elected officials. You can subscribe to their email alerts. Apparently, they will send out notices when there's an opportunity to respond to an issue, hearing, or bill. They noted how important contact with elected officials is. The other sided is very vocal and well represented. However, they were fairly certain that there won't be much change without voting them out. The current elected group has their direction set.

I've signed up to keep up with what they are doing. I'm hoping that they will provide some talking points, if there are opportunities to speak.

Citizens United Against Crime is: citizensuniteedagainstcrime@yahoo.com

Crime Stoppers is: Rania Mankarious at rmankarious@crime-stoppers.org or Andy Kahan at akahan@crime-stoppers.org

Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
FourAggies said:

I had to Google cui bono. The social justice groups don't like the message that Crime Stoppers has, so they are putting pressure on the media to essential silence Crime Stoppers.

Conservatives (and everyone else to the right of Marxist nut jobs) are rolling over and letting a minority (as in numbers, not skin color) sadly that has to be pointed out nowadays because people are really stupid and eagerly offended)) population of progressives run the show.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
We are so fooked.

https://breaking911.com/shock-video-gas-station-clerk-shot-in-the-face-point-blank-by-gunman-without-warning/
Jackal99
AG
W.T.F.?
sts7049
AG
just execute that trash once he's caught. dont waste our taxpayer's time
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Besides being a crappy person, what a terrible shot
TarponChaser
Marvin_Zindler said:

We are so fooked.

https://breaking911.com/shock-video-gas-station-clerk-shot-in-the-face-point-blank-by-gunman-without-warning/

The description of the suspect seems rather imprecise doesn't it?

"Suspect description: Black male, 25 to 35 years old, heavy build, 5'7 to 6'1, 230 to 280 pounds, black jacket and tan pants."
BarryProfit
Marvin_Zindler said:

We are so fooked.

Memorial just outside 610?!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
BarryProfit said:

Marvin_Zindler said:

We are so fooked.

Memorial just outside 610?!
Correct.
BarryProfit
Wtf man that's a nice part of town, basically tanglewood. The gas station across the street is still full service for all the rich olds to not get their hands dirty.

We really are f'd.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
And the imbecile thug left empty handed:

Quote:

The suspect then jumped over the counter and punched the clerk several times. The suspect then attempted to remove the money from the cash register, but was unable to open it.
Only good news is that the clerk may survive:

Quote:

The suspect then fled the location in a two-door newer model black Mercedes Benz.

The store clerk was transported to the hospital in serious condition, but is expected to survive.
jja79
AG
Not within the city but there was a murder in Gleannloch Farms monday. Husband killed his wife.

https://www.springhappenings.com/spring-man-charged-with-murder-after-shooting-killing-wife/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.