Houston
Sponsored by

2021 DisAstros thread

112,320 Views | 987 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sts7049
Noble07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I kind of thought that after fans got the chance to boo the Astros in person, it would get old...but nope!
scd88
AG
I will say this, though - it's been a fun year on this thread. Thanks, everyone.
htownag10
AG
Dusty baker coming back
Grienke is gone
Strom is gone

Strom will probably be the biggest loss
Booma94
AG
Dusty seemed to manage the pitching staff better in the playoffs than his reputation dictated he would. I don't know how much of that was Strom, and losing Strom will be big, but I'm not upset that Dusty might be returning.

I agree that Grienke is gone, I'm betting he retires.

I also hold out some hope that Crane pulls off a minor miracle and finds a way to keep Correa around.

Mr. McGibblets
AG
Yuli is back per his ****ter
Charlie Murphy
26th times a charm for dusty?
htownag10
AG
I guess I should have clarified that was from a source I was reading lol

Dusty's biggest mess up was in game 4 when he decided to use his long reliever for short and his short for long. Dusty has a tendency to over manage at times and it hurts him

Grienke actually said he wants to go to the NL now

Strom will definitely hurt. He was a major factor over the last 8 year

As for Correa and people are going to get pitch forks but I'd rather see him leave. His 60% effort in a due or die game was enough for me to see. He's too expensive and we need pitching. Let him go and pay for pitching. Correa has those fake leader vibes. It's all for show so he can get paid.
sts7049
AG
total nonsense. I want the best shortstop on my team, the guy's defense is worth it
BMX Bandit

Quote:

As for Correa and people are going to get pitch forks but I'd rather see him leave. His 60% effort in a due or die game was enough for me to see. He's too expensive and we need pitching. Let him go and pay for pitching. Correa has those fake leader vibes. It's all for show so he can get paid.

no offense, but the bolded is just dumb.
htxag09
AG
I don't know..... I'm not going to say Correa didn't give a full effort in game 6. But he did strike out, the ball went all they way to the backstop, and he jogged to first. If he runs, he's probably safe. Now, it was later in the game and wouldn't of mattered, but he for sure gave a half ass effort of that play in a win or go home game.

I also don't know how I feel about his leadership vibe. I mean I've never seen another player feel like they have to go to the mound every time a catcher, pitching coach, etc. goes to talk to the pitcher. Now maybe he does continue that in the locker room and practice and the guys really respond to it. I don't know, I'm not there. So really impossible for us to say how effective of a leader he is, one way or the other.
BMX Bandit
if you don't see that Correa is the absolute leader of that team, then you didn't watch many games.
MAS444
AG
Yeah Correa has always seemed a little prima-donna ish to me. The best defensive shortstop in the league imo and really good offensively...sometimes. But overly concerned with looking hard/cool, etc (which includes not busting his ass to first). I'd love to keep him cause he's really good - but I don't think it's worth giving him the long term deal he's going to command.

By stark contrast personality-wise, Altuve was shopping by himself at Target yesterday in flip flops, shorts and a tshirt just 2 days removed from losing the World Series. And he almost always busts his ass to first. Love that dude.
texpert68
AG
I love them both and think they are both leaders and their leadership styles complement each other perfectly. there's probably different teammates that respond differently to both of them. I also think that Altuve loves to lay low and having a Correa that takes the spotlight better allows him to do so. Will be an interesting year next year if we don't have that personality any more.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
This. What is crystal clear is that those two LOVE playing with each other. The best infield duo in baseball if you ask me.
htxag09
AG
I watched 70+% of games. Only games I missed are west coast because if I started watching I can't turn it off and I can't handle staying up until 1 am every night anymore.

It seems the guys respond to him. But it also seems the guys respond to everyone. If I had to guess, then yeah I'd wager he's the leader of the team.

My point is none of us know, despite how many games you watch. You have no idea how these guys interact behind closed doors.
Chewy
AG
Agree. Altuve would rather lead by example and probably appreciates Correra's style. Allows him to focus more on playing than leading.

I think Correra goes to the mound all the time to help translate with Strom and he knows the players well. Latin guys tend to be tight with one another. He stepped up big time in the ALCS last season when I think it was Framber was about to blow his top over something. As it was Framber stayed focus and got the out.

As for Correra and free agency by most metrics he's the most valuable free agent in the market. I can't begrudge the man for wanting to maximize his value. I can't begrudge the Stros for not wanting to overpay as overpaying free agents has cost teams dearly. It's the market. I think most of us if given the opportunity would love to maximize our value or at least explore it.

Correra helped lead us to 3 World Series in 5 years. He walked off two ALCS games against the Yankees in different years. I don't understand any angst an Astros fan has towards him. He served us REALLY well.

I hope we can find a way to keep him but if he's gonna get paid then go get paid. He's earned it playing a very difficult position at an elite level defensively while being a pretty good bat with plus power. Adam Everett he's not.
txags92
AG
The stros didnt get where they are by overpaying for hot commodities. They got there by smart fiscal discipline and stocking the farm system with talent. Hope they take what they would have paid to keep correa and get some good young arms instead.
schmendeler
AG
I want Correa back, but I don't want them to throw the whole bank at him. Give him a qualifying offer and if he doesn't want to stay, and values the biggest paycheck over sentimental reasons, so be it.

It seems like recent history shows that the teams paying big bucks for a star player doesn't seem to work out for them.
SquanchyAg
Is Verlander moving on? I've been out of the loop.
sts7049
AG
looks like bregman had wrist surgery. could explain why he sucked so much at the plate.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/local/2021/11/08/astros-star-alex-bregman-undergoes-wrist-surgery-posts-that-all-went-well/
billyjack2009
Strom to AZ.
txags92
AG
billyjack2009 said:

Strom to AZ.
Amazing how fast he went from "I am not sure what is next, I am old and have been on a road a long time" to ""welcome to Arizona!" Bad move by the stros if they let him go that easy.
Goose
AG
He lives in Tucson, so it kinda makes sense.
Satellite of Love
I believe he is a FA this off-season.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
AMW2010
AG
When do y'all think the WS merch goes on sale? Wanting to get the Ws fitted hat but not paying full price for that bad boy now
Serotonin
AG
Verlander coming back!
wessimo
AG
Hope he's still got it.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
AMW2010 said:

When do y'all think the WS merch goes on sale? Wanting to get the Ws fitted hat but not paying full price for that bad boy now
Gotta swing by Academy. Website shows clearance for pennant gear, but "Our Price in Cart."
AMW2010
AG
Harry Lime said:

AMW2010 said:

Gotta swing by Academy. Website shows clearance for pennant gear, but "Our Price in Cart."

I saw that too, and pissed I missed it. I wanted the navy hat with orange brim with the World Series patch on the side. For $20 I was ready to buy. My size sold out and I don't really want ANOTHER solid navy hat
The Wonderer
AG
Serotonin said:

Verlander coming back!
So much money for a hope and prayer that he's even close to what he was pre-surgery.
AgLA06
AG
The Wonderer said:

Serotonin said:

Verlander coming back!
So much money for a hope and prayer that he's even close to what he was pre-surgery.

Don't forget ticket sales and a hot wife.
TarponChaser
The Wonderer said:

Serotonin said:

Verlander coming back!

While it's not game situations, he was hitting 96-98 in his recent workouts before signing. That's an extremely good sign.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What about the report that the locker room was pissed at JV for never being around? He was supposed to throw a first pitch and they went to Crane and told him no. Was this stupid twitter bogus?
jetch17
AG
Correa getting Hinched at lunch yesterday

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Look at that water jug! I would leave town too if that is the kind of service he gets. Somebody is back there burning a heater while Carlito is dying of thirst.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.