Houston
Sponsored by

2021 DisAstros thread

112,294 Views | 987 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sts7049
98Ag99Grad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
digging tunnels said:

I'm disappointed for sure, but they sure exceeded my expectations. Never thought they would have made it to game 6 of the WS, much less the ALCS, with the pitching staff we had this year
This is my feeling as well. A healthy McCullers and who knows but with the way this team hit doubt he helps too much.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
MAS444
AG
They were wildly inconsistent all year and that caught up with em in the end. And our best hitters couldn't hit when it mattered most. Sucks.
htxag09
AG
Bassmaster said:

Disappointing. These guys had the opportunity to put the cheating narrative to bed and they just completely folded.
I'm really fascinated that people feel this way. We were in the ****ing world series. We made the playoffs, won the ALDS, and won the ALCS. That's a successful year. Did we get our ultimate goal? No. Stay hungry and move forward.

It's ok to be disappointed about that, but keep some perspective.

As to the cheating narrative. Who cares at this point. Winning the WS would have put this to bed? You're absolutely kidding yourself if you believe this. If that's the case, getting to the WS should put it to bed. Hell getting to the playoffs should.
AustinCountyAg
htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

Disappointing. These guys had the opportunity to put the cheating narrative to bed and they just completely folded.
I'm really fascinated that people feel this way. We were in the ****ing world series. We made the playoffs, won the ALDS, and won the ALCS. That's a successful year. Did we get our ultimate goal? No. Stay hungry and move forward.

As to the cheating narrative. Who cares at this point. Winning the WS would have put this to bed? You're absolutely kidding yourself if you believe this. If that's the case, getting to the WS should put it to bed. Hell getting to the playoffs should.
lets not forget they did all of this in 2019 as well
htxag09
AG
And made the ALCS in 2020.
chimpanzee
htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

Nothing will ever stop the cheating narrative. I'm convinced that in NY and Boston 90% of reason they even pay attention to the game is so that they can hate the other team. LA is a big media market and they were the "aggrieved" party in 2017, so it will motivate them to remain interested as long as they have a villain.

Ultimately, sports fandom is only psychologically meaningful, having a foil makes it more so.

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Time to take that Verlander and Grienke money and go buy a pitcher. McCullers, Framber, Urquidy and Garcia is a great foundation. Now, let's get a legit stopper. If they go get an old guy, maybe give him the Clemens treatment and let him start the season in July. Uncle Mike and la Pina are not getting any younger either. Maybe move one of them while they are worth a bunch.
schmellba99
AG
htxag09 said:

schmellba99 said:

What a **** series, bats are non existent and pitching fell off the map.

4-1 is an ass whipping, and ATL gave it to us hard.

Lmao. Good thing they don't call games after 1 inning
Yep, and I should have gone debbie downer again last night to try to keep the reverse jinx/eat crow going.
Serotonin
AG
I'm optimistic moving forward.

• The Astros had the odds stacked against them this year with Verlander & Greinke's combined salaries (almost 1/4 of the team's total).
  • They'll have a lot of cap room to go out and add quality arms.
  • They've shown a continued ability to identify and develop unheralded minor league players and turn them into major league contributors.
  • There is a winning culture now. Guys like Verlander, Cole, Springer, Correa might be gone but they helped the young guys get a lot of big game winning experience.
  • Now is the time to lock down Yordan, Tucker, and the next generation of contributors.

The Astros just need to keep dominating the AL West and making the playoffs. It's almost random luck at that point but if they're in the mix every year then it will be fun.
Mikeyshooter
AG
MAS444 said:

They were wildly inconsistent all year and that caught up with em in the end. And our best hitters couldn't hit when it mattered most. Sucks.
Sounds like a lot of other teams that lost to ATL back in the day.
Chewy
AG
What's most surprising about this squad is the bullpen arms Click added at the deadline. I'm not going to say they were flat out dominating but they were pretty outstanding when you consider the workload they had.

Outside of LMJ in Game 1 of the ALDS, Framber in Game 5 of the ALCS, and Luis in Game 6 of the ALCS we didn't have any quality starts.

They weren't perfect but I can't imagine where we'd gotten to without the additions of Yimi, Maton, and especially Graveman for practically nothing.

Stanek and Pressly were pretty solid most of the time as well. I feel like the bullpen has always let us down in the post season but not this time. Hell, in 2017 our closer was a total anchor that was completely put on the shelf after Game 5 of the World Series.

Lunhow never could build a bullpen as everyone he brought in never materialized. Sure, Osuna was strong at times but he was more tainted than the cheating in my book.

Hopefully Click has some of that Tampa magic in identifying young talent that can be coupled with Cranes willingness to sign people up to the salary cap number. The Dodgers GM was the original Tampa GM and it's worked out okay for them for the past few years.

Post Season is a funny thing. It's all about peaking at the right time so you just need to be in a position to get there and see if you can make the run.

The Braves had a worse record than every team they played in the post season. It was their year. Sucks for us.
Mikeyshooter
AG
FYI, there is no salary cap in baseball. Crane can sign whoever he wants if he thinks he can afford it.
Serotonin
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

FYI, there is no salary cap in baseball. Crane can sign whoever he wants if he thinks he can afford it.
You are correct but Crane isn't going into luxury tax territory, so the Astros will be under the luxury tax cap (wherever that lands), like most other teams.
Chewy
AG
Yeah. Meant luxury tax. Technically different but sort of the same.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/11/03/world-series-brent-strom-wont-return-to-astros-as-major-league-pitching-coach?fbclid=IwAR0J_umoLp_koHQsMX_bInf3Xi-cocEmO-fL3VLYMY_OgHygvZEUy4vDzRM
Sea Speed
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

lets not forget they did all of this in 2019 as well

The astros are the best team in pro sports right now, hands down.
Cromagnum
AG
Saw this one making the rounds this morning. I don't see how some people think losing in game 6 in the world series is equivalent of a team that is currently 1-7

El oh effing el

jetch17
AG
It's been fun
David_Puddy
AG
There was too much nervous energy in MMP last night. After that bomb the place was deflated
Mr. McGibblets
AG
David_Puddy said:

There was too much nervous energy in MMP last night. After that bomb the place was deflated

Pujols flashback. Errrbody was shook
Bassmaster
AG
htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

They scored a total of 4 runs in 4 world series losses with 2 shutouts. The best offense in baseball performed terribly when it mattered the most. If you're not disappointed by that, good for you. I am disappointed despite what they did before the series.

As far as the cheating narrative, a lot of people care. It is still talked about constantly. If you don't think that loses steam had they won this year, you are kidding yourself.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Mr. McGibblets said:

David_Puddy said:

Pujols flashback. Errrbody was shook

Yep. One of those games where we just had to score early and ride the crowd energy to the end. Couldn't do anything in that first inning and that was pretty much it.
Chewy
AG
I thought the energy last night was really good considering the score. The Braves fans could never get the chop going despite repeated efforts.

Dramatic difference from Game 1 under a worse scenario. The fans knew the likely outcome but they weren't giving up.

I was proud to see the first deck almost completely full through the final out. Good showing by the Stros fans in my book.
PeekingDuck
AG
Chewy said:

The Braves had a worse record than every team they played in the post season. It was their year. Sucks for us.
People keep saying this type of stuff, but the Braves post deadline were a very different team. And the guy that buried the Astros did not start the year out with them. After the trade deadline, the Braves have the 3rd best record in baseball behind only the Dodgers and Giants.

Not coincidentally, the Astros picking up Verlander changed everything in 2017.

Baseball has changed and I think I like it, but I'm not 100% sure.
Chewy
AG
I thought I read they had the best record since the trade deadline. Maybe it was since September 1. Either way the Braves got hot at the perfect time and that's what matters most.

What's crazy is none of those guys they traded appeared to be real needle movers at the time. Good additions but not a Scherzer type deal. Much of it was Acuna getting hurt and just trying to get outfield depth. Everything came up Milhouse for them.
Serotonin
AG
Bassmaster said:

htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

They scored a total of 4 runs in 4 world series losses with 2 shutouts. The best offense in baseball performed terribly when it mattered the most. If you're not disappointed by that, good for you. I am disappointed despite what they did before the series.

As far as the cheating narrative, a lot of people care. It is still talked about constantly. If you don't think that loses steam had they won this year, you are kidding yourself.
The Astros have proven themselves to be the best franchise in baseball the past 5 years.

If making it to the ALCS, WS, ALCS, WS in the four years after 2017 hasn't changed "the narrative" then nothing will.
PeekingDuck
AG
I don't know, I just did some quick Googling because I was curious. At least it wasn't the ****in' Dodgers.
K Bo
AG
The cheating narrative is still alive because the Astros are still winning and the hater's teams (save for the Braves) are not. Sour grapes. **** 'em.
TarponChaser
Bassmaster said:

htxag09 said:

Bassmaster said:

We can be disappointed at the offensive opportunities squandered and the way the starting pitching seemed to forget how to pitch when they got 2 strikes on the Braves hitters and still consider this a successful season. Like a lot of people who were kids in the 80's I have a nostalgic fondness for the Braves thanks to them being on TBS all the time (same for the Cubs & WGN) and at least we didn't lose to the Dodgers while the Yankees were sitting home for the post-season. Again.

As for the cheating- fck em in the ear. Every damn team in MLB was doing basically the same thing. If they won't admit it then they're just a suck-ass hypocrite who is mad that their team couldn't win doing the same stuff. And they also need to be prepared to call every World Series champion and almost every All Star-caliber player (along with plenty who never were near that good) between about 1988 and 2006 a cheater due to PED use which was every bit as rampant as the electronic sign stealing.
htxag09
AG
Agree with the above. Literally nothing has made me believe the Astros winning the World Series would change the narrative. Just look at 2019. Mlb did an investigation into the team, found no cheating was taking place. Still doesn't prevent the talking heads and social media mobs from saying the only reason we beat the idol Yankees was because altuve was wearing a buzzer.

And of course nobody mentions the fact that we beat the dodgers in LA when talking about the * belonging next to the '17 title.

They don't care. If anything it'll give them more fuel about how we've found new ways to cheat.
PeekingDuck
AG
Or that the away team kept winning in the Washington series.
TarponChaser
htxag09 said:

Agree with the above. Literally nothing has made me believe the Astros winning the World Series would change the narrative. Just look at 2019. Mlb did an investigation into the team, found no cheating was taking place. Still doesn't prevent the talking heads and social media mobs from saying the only reason we beat the idol Yankees was because altuve was wearing a buzzer.

And of course nobody mentions the fact that we beat the dodgers in LA when talking about the * belonging next to the '17 title.

They don't care. If anything it'll give them more fuel about how we've found new ways to cheat.

Truth.

Nobody will stop beating the cheating drum. I mean, the fcking Red Sox were cheating in 2018 when they won and nobody bashes them for it. Mookie Betts & Joe Kelly were part of that Red Sox team who went to the Dodgers (who were also credibly accused of cheating) and carried on the same yet nobody says crap about them.

Just accept that they won't shut up about it and are massive hypocrites. The entire reason MLB gave the players immunity is because they would have completely blown up the league by naming every other team and player doing the same thing and it would have been the steroid-era/Mitchell Report all over again and baseball couldn't handle that. So they made the Astros the scapegoat and protect the blue bloods.

Embrace the hate and know this is truth.

Noble07
AG
I don't get it. Nobody talks about Tom Brady or New England's cheating anymore. Each team or person paid a price for it and everyone moved on.

I agree that the east coast bias is real, but this just seems insane.
htxag09
AG
Noble07 said:

I don't get it. Nobody talks about Tom Brady or New England's cheating anymore. Each team or person paid a price for it and everyone moved on.

I agree that the east coast bias is real, but this just seems insane.
Seems you do get it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.