Houston
Sponsored by

2021 DisAstros thread

112,316 Views | 987 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sts7049
billyjack2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very fun game to attend today. It has been a while since we'd taken the fam to the park.
Hwy30East
Presley!!!!!!!!!!
strohag
AG
Not scoring a run with the bases loaded and no outs was pathetic.
Bondag
AG
strohag said:

Not scoring a run with the bases loaded and no outs was pathetic.
WTF happened? I had to be somewhere at 5 and turned it off when they loaded them with the walk.
TexAg91
AG

jetch17
AG
Horsesh*t
Hwy30East
The Ump behind the plate was just horrible.
bedofbrass33
AG
TexAg91 said:

This is idiotic. There is literal infallible technology to avoid this. Have the computer make the ball/strike call and radio that into the umpire's helmet if they insist on having a person behind the plate still.
sts7049
AG
i don't want robot umps. we don't need perfection with strike zones.
AgLA06
AG
sts7049 said:

i don't want robot umps. we don't need perfection with strike zones.

I used to think this too. The reality is the only purpose of umpires is to correctly and fairly enforce the rules of the game. That's not happening with fallible people.

Tennis is a pretty good example in my mind of a way to better integrate technology. You won't be able to completely remove human refereeing or umpiring, but we should remove as much error as possible.
Serotonin
AG
That makes sense. I think the counter-argument is that human umps add an extra layer of drama in the game where the ability of the catcher to frame a pitch, the ability of a pitcher to adjust to the strike zone of that ump, and the ability of batter/pitcher to mentally deal with bad calls all plays in the game.

Having said all that I'm fine with going to robo-umps. Unlike video reviews it does not affect the run of play or restrict spontaneous crowd reactions by having a delay, review, and potential reversal hanging over every close play.
Quad Dog
AG
MLB wants to speed up the game. I think robo umps would do the job. 0 arguing with umps on balls and strokes.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The ****ing royals again?!? ****.
The Wonderer
AG
Quad Dog said:

MLB wants to speed up the game. I think robo umps would do the job. 0 arguing with umps on balls and strokes.
but **** 'em if they make a bad call
jetch17
AG
Finally beat the royals (it's dumb to even say that)

Goose
AG
Maybe just my opinion, but I think the games with Bagwell doing commentary are awesome.

Dude's certainly not the most talkative guy in the world, and doesn't really have a voice for tv or radio, but it's like watching the game with one of your buddies - who also happens to have a ****-ton of baseball knowledge and anecdotes. Love those games.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Bregman and Tucker back today.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What is the consensus on the YouTube games? This is the second one this season. I like the regular broadcast better, but like the YouTube thing better than espn or stupid turner.
randy828
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Bregman and Tucker back today.
And Bregman gets his first hit. Good to see him back
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
MAS444
AG
Thanks for the reminder. I love that I can have it on in my office.
Echoes97
AG
Machete doing work today!
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
jetch17
AG
Dusty'd
jetch17
AG
Going to extras .... thats what I get for working and turning it off after the Grand Slammy earlier.
jetch17
AG
STROS WIN!

schmendeler
AG
New guy Meyer gets the walkoff!
cupcakesprinkles
AG
Meyer is a stud.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

Meyer is a stud.

Next non-superstar like Bergman
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Correa for sure outta here now.
AgLA06
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Correa for sure outta here now.
Considering he did an interview highlighting how he wanted his last year as an Astro go to, that's been the case.
K Bo
AG
Serotonin
AG
What kind of contract do y'all think Correa gets?

I agree that it will be too much and too long for the Astros. But with Verlander and Greinke contracts running off the Astros should have a ton of room to maneuver with off-season acquisitions.

Edit: Greinke's contract deferred through 2025 so will still be paying him $12.5M per year for four seasons after he's done here.
Thinice
Not sure if Bregman has the durability to play short on a regular basis but if you did what are the thoughts on Diaz at third full time?

Don't we have a shortstop in the minors that's getting close to ready?
TulaneAg
yes, you have Bregman and a minor league options for short. you gotta use the Correa money to get an ace or two once Greinke is gone I'm guessing.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
6-years, $130 million. Less than Lindor, higher than Xander, and higher than what he already turned down from the Astros. He's still only 26. That's my guess.
Mr. McGibblets
AG
MarWIIIIIIIN!!!!!! #LFG!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.