Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring 2024 Storms

45,969 Views | 448 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by PatAg
Pepper Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We ran this today and it did the job well. I paid a plumber to tap into my house gas supply and an electrician to install an exterior outlet so I can supply my breaker box from the generator. It was about $800 for both jobs combined.

It's loud but ran two AC/Furnace units, fridge, deep freezer, and most of the downstairs outlets and bedroom lights/fans.

https://a.co/d/cdEEW6t
ac04
which grids in the US are better prepared for branches and/or entire trees knocking down power lines?
Decay
AG
People are hoping to score political points by pretending other grids could give you power through a downed line if only they'd connect to the East and West
Yesterday
AG
ac04 said:

which grids in the US are better prepared for branches and/or entire trees knocking down power lines?

None. To think any politician could prevent trees from falling on power lines is a lunatic. We've become so soft we want people's heads to roll if we're without power for 24 hours.
riverrataggie
AG
I'm sitting outside right now thanking god it's 73. Listening to nothing here in Lakewood. Drinking a bourbon. All the windows are open.

It could have been a lot worse.

That said, I'm sure the bobcat and coyote from next door is ready to tear my throat out.
FTAG 2000
AG
I guess the expectation is for our politicians to find the money and manpower to bury every line in the state so tree branches can't fall on them? That's an odd one.
Decay
AG
Yeah, until they flood.

What's coming in now? Looks like maybe some severe spots?
Baw
AG
Hopefully nothing big tonight. Just popped some melatonin and need to be up at 530
Coates
Pepper Brooks said:

We ran this today and it did the job well. I paid a plumber to tap into my house gas supply and an electrician to install an exterior outlet so I can supply my breaker box from the generator. It was about $800 for both jobs combined.

It's loud but ran two AC/Furnace units, fridge, deep freezer, and most of the downstairs outlets and bedroom lights/fans.

https://a.co/d/cdEEW6t

Are you rolling this out as needed, or is this always ready for you to turn use when needed? Description says touch of a button or power on with the app.

Thanks!
FTAG 2000
AG
Decay said:

Yeah, until they flood.

What's coming in now? Looks like maybe some severe spots?

Just rain for this evening. Another round possible around daybreak with a possibility of severe.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I bought it after the freeze and this was the first time using it since I tested the plumbing/breaker setup.

It's extremely easy to use and the instructions are on a print out and also on the unit itself. I keep it in the corner of my garage, roll it out to where I hook it up to the gas/breaker, and follow the instructions. It took 4-5 tries for the motor to get going but it literally is pushing a button once you get everything ready.

I changed the oil after our power came back on that that took longer than the process to start it.
2wealfth Man
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

I bought it after the freeze and this was the first time using it since I tested the plumbing/breaker setup.

It's extremely easy to use and the instructions are on a print out and also on the unit itself. I keep it in the corner of my garage, roll it out to where I hook it up to the gas/breaker, and follow the instructions. It took 4-5 tries for the motor to get going but it literally is pushing a button once you get everything ready.

I changed the oil after our power came back on that that took longer than the process to start it.

I have a 50 amp plug on my breaker (as we used to have a motor home), is it as simple as a male to male connection from the generator to the breaker box?
FTAG 2000
AG
You need to have an interlock on your breaker panel too.

Basically, turn your hole home breaker off, slide the interlock into position, then if you've got a transfer port to plug into you can do that and then run individual stuff in the house.

You must get an interlock. It prevents multiple power sources from feeding the house and panel at the same time, which prevents you or a lineman from getting electrocuted
Ol Jock 99
AG
Traffic lights still largely out in Lake Highlands.
Lily09
AG
No power since 6:15am yesterday. Sachse area. Finally got out of the house for food and charging devices.
oldag941
AG
Lake highlands. Still no power. Considering grabbing the RV and parking it out at an RV park tonight for air conditioning and electricity. They are saying Friday or Saturday for some ONCOR users. Nothing specific to who that is though.
planoaggie123
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Did you price out a generac solution as well?

Curious cost / benefit. How much more is a generac to buy / install vs something like this you would have to go out and plug in / set-up as needed...
Phat32
AG
My understanding from when we priced it was that this solution was 2-3x cheaper depending on which generator you buy.

But it's more technical than Generac, which most city dwellers will not like.
aezmvp
We got power back in Rockwall late last night and they seem to be working north towards yall. Good luck.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Interlock kit is ~$1k - home depot generator can be had for <$1k.

Whole home generac will run you $15k.

There's the math.
akaggie05
AG
Interlock can be had for < 50 bucks (just the shaped sliding piece of metal that doesn't allow your main breaker to be on at the same time as the breaker from the generator feed. A transfer switch (especially an automated one) is much more.
AW 1880
AG
Murphy. Still no power. Wondering where that Power fairy is and why hasn't she waived the magic wand in my neighborhood.
riverrataggie
AG
Same here in Lakewood. It's getting much warmer today as well. Looks like they are consolidating work on certain zip codes.
ChoppinDs40
AG
akaggie05 said:

Interlock can be had for < 50 bucks (just the shaped sliding piece of metal that doesn't allow your main breaker to be on at the same time as the breaker from the generator feed. A transfer switch (especially an automated one) is much more.

You're right. I was including the plug and that jazz. Mostly labor from a certified electrician… and to move breakers around.
ag88man
AG
I guess we're in for the long wait here in Richardson Sherrill Park.

ONCOR: Damage assessment and repairs from recent storms are continuing in your area. As we continue to work, we estimate power to return sometime between today through Friday, weather permitting. Harder hit areas are expected to be restored Saturday. Anyone without power should seek alternative accommodations. Please check your meter base for damages and contact an electrician if needed for repairs. We appreciate your patience as we work to restore power as quickly and safely as possible.
AW 1880
AG
Got the same note this afternoon.
Pepper Brooks
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Interlock kit is ~$1k - home depot generator can be had for <$1k.

Whole home generac will run you $15k.

There's the math.

For me…
Generator - $1700
Interlock kit + Electrician Install + T into house gas - $800

Generac - $10-20k depending on size

I was buying this for a "hope we never have to use it" type of situation so cost was the main driver.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

For me…
Generator - $1700
Interlock kit + Electrician Install + T into house gas - $800

Generac - $10-20k depending on size

I was buying this for a "hope we never have to use it" type of situation so cost was the main driver.
I did the same generator option after the winter power outage in 2021. I have yet to have to use it yet. I have it sitting in the garage ready and I start it up about once per month.
PatAg
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.