Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring 2024 Storms

65,609 Views | 600 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by Ol Jock 99
dmz233
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tree limb hanging from a power line in our backyard.
Pignorant
AG
Massive wind gusts in Dallas right now.
Decay
AG
Our damage is minimal (new tree uprooted but looks intact, fence leaning) but I don't want to try to fix anything with the wind still whipping like this. Last thing I want is to have something get blown over the other way.
CoppellAg93
AG
Had a couple decent size tree limbs in my front yard in Coppell, and all the back patio furniture was blown over. The biggest damage was the metal cap of my chimney - ripped off and landed next to our pool equipment in our side yard ....

Thank God it didn't hit my next door neighbor's house.
FTAG 2000
AG
CoppellAg93 said:

Had a couple decent size tree limbs in my front yard in Coppell, and all the back patio furniture was blown over. The biggest damage was the metal cap of my chimney - ripped off and landed next to our pool equipment in our side yard ....

Did that land on your pool heater?
HouseDivided06
AG
Bradford pear in our backyard is going to come down after the damage. We had actually gotten a quote for that about a month or 6 weeks ago because we knew it was old and at risk. Storm last night helped it. Still no power at Frankford/Hillcrest area. Gas stove so was able to make breakfast at least. Cell service has been super spotty too. Just took the dogs on a walk around the neighborhood. Lots of fences and trees down.

CoppellAg93
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

CoppellAg93 said:

Did that land on your pool heater?
It actually knocked off the plastic piece that covers the controls. Discovered after about 30 minutes of power that it cut the line on my chlorinator, so water was spraying all over the equipment.
riverrataggie
AG
Just got cell phone service back. What a beating.
jthonen
AG
Splash down in East Dallas.
Decay
AG
Get that pool cleaner to work
CoppellAg93
AG
Lots of bad damage in the area, but this struck my wife and I as kinda funny .... this decent size branch stuck into my front yard - I tried to pull it out briefly but it was not wanting to move ...

Pignorant
AG
Is there any hope for power to be back on today?
riverrataggie
AG
Pignorant said:

For some. But this is a multi day event.
CoppellAg93
AG
Pignorant said:

Thankfully we got ours back after about 6 hours. But we have family less than a mile away that are still out.
PlanoAg98
AG
West Plano - I only had large limbs but there were a lot of them. My neighborhood is 40+ years old so there are a lot of mature trees. Many of the big trees in the neighborhood came down. The wind did strip me of most of my plums which were just about to be ripe enough to pick.

Robert C. Christian
AG
Was able to find all the patio cushions but cut my hand open on barbed wire trying to get the last one. Headed to CVS for a tetanus shot.

That seems to have been about the worst of the damage. Glad we have power.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Also saw Royse City Methodist was hit by lightning and burned to the ground.

Ol Jock 99
AG
My 10 year ox and I cleared up 5 houses, including some big big limbs. The full sized crpe myrtle was in his great-godparents pool.

walton91
Lakewood just a few blocks from us
2wealfth Man
AG
another line popping up from Little Elm down to Kaufmann
DannyDuberstein
AG
They say this evening's popups shouldnt be severe (although overnight storms will), but instability is instability. I don't buy that they are right about this evening. Underestimating these May storms has become normal course
FTAG 2000
AG
2wealfth Man said:

another line popping up from Little Elm down to Kaufmann

These should be weak. Atmosphere got worked over hard this morning.

We are probably headed for another early wake up tomorrow though as things will have a chance to reload.
riverrataggie
AG
Not sure the metroplex can take another category 1 hurricane.
wangus12
AG
****s getting old real fast
duck79
AG
I never thought I'd say I'm ready for the heat ridge but if it stops this weekly stuff then bring it.
Scriffer
AG
I'm out of town until tomorrow night late. How long can a freezer hold up without power if it's never opened?
Absolute
AG
Guess you'll find out

Let us know
Yesterday
AG
Scriffer said:

I'm out of town until tomorrow night late. How long can a freezer hold up without power if it's never opened?

A good freezer that is packed can go three days.

Empty freezer could be 6 hours.
Absolute
AG
Guess we all need to do the penny on a frozen cup of water thing now that we are living in Sanderson's world of high storms.
theJonatron
AG
This is the 4th damn time that my power has been out longer than 12 hours in 8 years. If it goes over a day, it's the 3rd time in 8 years.

I'm sick of this ***** For an area highly exposed to tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, we don't have our shut together very well. Anyone got any recommendations for home power generators? My 2200 is enough for my portable AC, fridge, and entertainment, but I want something bigger to control the house house for 3 full days without refueling,
FTAco07
AG
Generac is the answer
Absolute
AG
If you are counting on the Texas grid to improve you are barking at the moon. It is only going to get worse. If hundreds dying in snowmagedden didn't inspire a change from politicians and their buddies making money to actually doing their ****ing jobs nothing will. The truth is they could not care less unless it makes them money

Go get a generac or move to a different state. Or get lucky like I did and be on the same grid section as a hospital and fire station.
AggieMPH2005
The Houston board has a couple really good threads on the home generator topic if you are serious.
Fenrir
I'm curious since you seem in the know. What soecific issues are you wanting them to address that they have failed at addressing?
SidetrackAg
AG
theJonatron said:

This is the 4th damn time that my power has been out longer than 12 hours in 8 years. If it goes over a day, it's the 3rd time in 8 years.

I'm sick of this ***** For an area highly exposed to tornadoes and severe thunderstorms, we don't have our shut together very well. Anyone got any recommendations for home power generators? My 2200 is enough for my portable AC, fridge, and entertainment, but I want something bigger to control the house house for 3 full days without refueling,

Natural gas generac?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.