Outdoors
Sponsored by

Update on pistol brace?

85,100 Views | 789 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Red Pear Realty
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieT said:

I strongly disagree with the rule, but don't want 10 years in prison to be even a remote possibility. Might as well take the free stamp if you can. I'd certainly wait as long as possible to see if the whole thing gets tied up in court.

This whole thing sucks.

I am absolutely not dogging you for feeling this way and I won't smack talk anyone who complies with this bull*****

It really sucks that our govt is counting on us preferring being able to kiss our kids goodnight and provide for our families to force compliance to yet another arbitrary rule change that is punishable as a felony with jail time.

Every little bit of additional registration, ban, limit, etc (not just with firearms but every facet of life) that they can force us to swallow in the name of comfort over freedom is another bit of liberty our children will not know ever existed.

The American experiment in representative democracy was not wholly unique to us, but by far was at one point one of the most "free" environments the average normal man anywhere in the world at any point in history could hope for, and it created more innovation and prosperity based on ideas and labor instead of exploitation than any previous human society in history.

That has been chipped away at for a very long time. This may not your personal line in the sand, but everyone should examine their inner moral code, consider that our current path is trending negatively when it comes to freedom for common men, and decide exactly when and what will cause you to say "Enough", for our children and grandchildren's sakes.
AggieT
AG
This is an excellent suggestion! Count me in for double that.
AggieT
AG
Great post, and I agree with you.

This is not my line in the sand, but it is just as appalling as many other government actions of late. I don't like them invading our privacy, limiting constitutional rights (unconstitutionally), or intentionally inflating away our savings to fund bull**** that I am morally or otherwise opposed to. Plenty more grievances to list, but I digress.

I'm not sure what the solution to all of this is, but I think everyone here can agree that the 2nd Amendment provides the final check and balance. While the proposed rule chips further away at the 2nd, in practice I'm not sure how much it would limit the citizenry's ability to fight back if it ever came to that. What with their F15s, nukes or whatever else President Dip**** threatened us with.
SMM48
AG
Yes.
AgResearch
AG
From my understanding.

Yes - Pad increases the surface area of device and would aid in shouldering.
Yes - Blade ^^^^ same as above

Smooth tube I assume is ok as it's required for normal function as a pistol. Would probably avoid any of extended length.
BrazosDog02
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AggieT said:

I strongly disagree with the rule, but don't want 10 years in prison to be even a remote possibility. Might as well take the free stamp if you can. I'd certainly wait as long as possible to see if the whole thing gets tied up in court.

This whole thing sucks.

That has been chipped away at for a very long time. This may not your personal line in the sand, but everyone should examine their inner moral code, consider that our current path is trending negatively when it comes to freedom for common men, and decide exactly when and what will cause you to say "Enough", for our children and grandchildren's sakes.

I can't fully speak for bender but I think this last paragraph is quite important and I believe the language employed is not arbitrary or haphazard.

This is a moral issue. It is not a legal issue. There is a huge distinction between legal and moral and I feel like our lawmakers intend to help blur that line for those who don't think it through. Either way, it won't be the first or last time this planet has seen legal things that were not moral. Act accordingly.
ChemEAg08
AG
Guitarsoup said:

BenderRodriguez said:

Sounds nice.

I dont trust Crenshaw to actually do anything, but would love to be wrong.

He filed the same law last session. No reason to think he won't do it again.

Do you disagree with any of his gun-related votes?
https://justfacts.votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/177270/dan-crenshaw/37/guns

I disagree with him calling Republicans hold outs terrorists since they didn't immediately cave to the RINO McCarthy. He is scum and the next John McCain.
Guitarsoup
AG
Anyone that was already going to SBR a rifle, go ahead and get your free stamp.

Anyone else, I would encourage you to wait. 120 days from publication, so you have months to do anything.

Less than 2 weeks ago, Cargill v Garland in the 5th Circuit ruled in an overwhelming majority that the ATF cannot make up a new law and that needs to go through Congress.

In Heller, Scalia affirmed the "in common use" clause of US vs Miller here:

Quote:

We think that Miller's "ordinary military equipment" language must be read in tandem with what comes after: "[O]rdinarily when called for [militia] service [able-bodied] men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." 307 U. S., at 179. The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms "in common use at the time" for lawful purposes like self-defense. "In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same." State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 615, 252254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment 's operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns. That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right,

Further:

Quote:

As the quotations earlier in this opinion demonstrate, the inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of "arms" that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose. The prohibition extends, moreover, to the home, where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute. Under any of the standards of scrutiny that we have applied to enumerated constitutional rights, banning from the home "the most preferred firearm in the nation to 'keep' and use for protection of one's home and family," 478 F. 3d, at 400, would fail constitutional muster.

I'll go ahead and say that the 40,000,000 pistol braces in America prove it is a common use item for lawful purposes such as self defense.

In Bruen, Thomas wrote:

Quote:

"When the Second Amendment's plain text covers an individual's conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct. The government must then justify its regulation by demonstrating that it is consistent with the Nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation. Only then may a court conclude that the individual's conduct falls outside the Second Amendment's "'unqualified command.'"
With the vast number of braces in the country and the common use of them as self defense weapons, the courts will easily rule this ATF rule unconstitutional in light of Cargill, Miller, Bruen, and Heller.

So if nothing else, please wait towards the end of 120 days to file that form 1 so that the court cases filed in the next four months will lean on the lack of registrations and the commonality of the brace to get the ATF regulation thrown out.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Anyone that was already going to SBR a rifle, go ahead and get your free stamp.

Anyone else, I would encourage you to wait. 120 days from publication, so you have months to do anything.

Less than 2 weeks ago, Cargill v Garland in the 5th Circuit ruled in an overwhelming majority that the ATF cannot make up a new law and that needs to go through Congress.

In Heller, Scalia affirmed the "in common use" clause of US vs Miller here:

Quote:

We think that Miller's "ordinary military equipment" language must be read in tandem with what comes after: "[O]rdinarily when called for [militia] service [able-bodied] men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time." 307 U. S., at 179. The traditional militia was formed from a pool of men bringing arms "in common use at the time" for lawful purposes like self-defense. "In the colonial and revolutionary war era, [small-arms] weapons used by militiamen and weapons used in defense of person and home were one and the same." State v. Kessler, 289 Ore. 359, 368, 614 P. 2d 94, 98 (1980) (citing G. Neumann, Swords and Blades of the American Revolution 615, 252254 (1973)). Indeed, that is precisely the way in which the Second Amendment 's operative clause furthers the purpose announced in its preface. We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns. That accords with the historical understanding of the scope of the right,

Further:

Quote:

As the quotations earlier in this opinion demonstrate, the inherent right of self-defense has been central to the Second Amendment right. The handgun ban amounts to a prohibition of an entire class of "arms" that is overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose. The prohibition extends, moreover, to the home, where the need for defense of self, family, and property is most acute. Under any of the standards of scrutiny that we have applied to enumerated constitutional rights, banning from the home "the most preferred firearm in the nation to 'keep' and use for protection of one's home and family," 478 F. 3d, at 400, would fail constitutional muster.

I'll go ahead and say that the 40,000,000 pistol braces in America prove it is a common use item for lawful purposes such as self defense.

In Bruen, Thomas wrote:

Quote:

"When the Second Amendment's plain text covers an individual's conduct, the Constitution presumptively protects that conduct. The government must then justify its regulation by demonstrating that it is consistent with the Nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation. Only then may a court conclude that the individual's conduct falls outside the Second Amendment's "'unqualified command.'"
With the vast number of braces in the country and the common use of them as self defense weapons, the courts will easily rule this ATF rule unconstitutional in light of Cargill, Miller, Bruen, and Heller.

So if nothing else, please wait towards the end of 120 days to file that form 1 so that the court cases filed in the next four months will lean on the lack of registrations and the commonality of the brace to get the ATF regulation thrown out.

For what it's worth, my lawyer recommended forgoing the freebie and paying the 200 if you want to short barrel. Said there's some potentially sketchy stuff the atf can do with the freebie setup that they can't on the paid stamp.
Daddy-O5
AG
Realistically your only safe option is to sell all your filthy, dangerous, soon to be illegal-ish, assault weapon style pistols to me at a heavily discounted price. Only way you can be sure. No LTC or Bill of Sale required to give them to me.
JB!98
AG
AgEng06 said:

TheVarian said:

JB!98 said:

JB!98 said:

AgResearch said:

JB!98 said:

lexofer said:

Before pistol braces were a thing the AR pistol buffer tubes were smooth and couldn't accept an AR buttstock. I would guess that may be a requirement for those intending to keep their AR's as pistols.

This goes back to my question. My buffer tube is smooth, if I have to register it through their process, can I then replace the buffer tube and put a normal stock on it or does it remain a "registered pistol"? That is confusing to me.
Why would you tax stamp something that doesn't have a brace?
Its got the old school sig brace on it. It is not adjustable.

This is it.

I guess I don't get it. It is a cheap ass AR that I did a rattle can job on, but I don't want to throw it in the trash (or lake). It goes boom every time I pull the trigger. Just trying to show what I am dealing with and what I can do with this nonsense government BS.
TheVarian
AG
It was a joke directed toward the brace*
mosdefn14
AG
Monday morning bump on this one. Did it get answered for those following along?

AggieT said:

Question for those of you with trusts and assignment forms (like Willi's).

Using the assignment form, if there is a braced pistol that I assembled:

1. Do I list my name as the manufacturer, or the manufacturer of the lower receiver?

2. What would be the model number? Ex: AR-15 5.56?

3. The serial number is just what is stamped on the lower receiver, correct?
javajaws
AG
mosdefn14 said:

AggieT said:

1. Do I list my name as the manufacturer, or the manufacturer of the lower receiver?

1) Actual manufacturer
2) Should be marked on your lower.
3) Yes (on some guns like SP5 the legal "gun" part is the upper and marked there...but for ARs it is on the lower)
Strongweasel97
AG
mosdefn14 said:

AggieT said:

Also: when listing manufacturer and model, make sure it is EXACTLY the model listed on the reciever.

For example, I have a friend who got declined on a Form 1 because he listed a PSA lower as "AR-15" when it is marked as a "PA-15"

BenderRodriguez
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

For what it's worth, my lawyer recommended forgoing the freebie and paying the 200 if you want to short barrel. Said there's some potentially sketchy stuff the atf can do with the freebie setup that they can't on the paid stamp.

I didnt consult with a lawyer but this is likely my plan with a couple of braced guns I was planning on SBRing before this mess started.

Mostly because "screw you, I dont recognize your authority to magically make a crappy brace a stock and make me a felon, and I would like to take this crappy brace off and put an actual stock on my gun".
Guitarsoup
AG

Attorney saying he will personally wait to see what happens with injections and lawsuits before acting
lp01
AG
Stopped by the local gun store this afternoon and this was pretty much the same sentiment. They hadn't done anything with their inventory yet. It still sounds like a wait and see as close to the 120 days or go ahead and pay the $200 to SBR it and slap a stock on it.
highvelocity
AG
**** the feds

That being said, I will wager the Supreme Court will weigh in on this topic. After that comes out I'll go one way or another on sbr ing or not
AG
2A will be the hill that southerners will die on (and a lot of others, too).

When this union dissolves, and it will, a 2A related overreach will be the spark that lights the fire.
SupermachJM
AG
So I've got a question about the trust portion of this:

If I want to put my pistol in a trust (I don't have a trust set up but I'm considering doing it ASAP before this is filed with the federal register), does it have to be an NFA trust?
I was planning on SBRing my pistol eventually, but I'd like to wait and see if this ruling actually goes through.

I'm assuming the best process is:

1) Set up trust
2) Add pistol to trust
2a) Wait. If nothing happens, well, I have my gun in a trust now, no harm no foul
3) If this does in fact go through, take advantage of the free SBR I intended to do from the beginning.

My dad bought a suppressor with his trust back before you were required to fingerprint for a trust. If I want to Form 1 the SBR, will I have to do fingerprints now?

I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right kind of trust here...I'm assuming this one is the right type:
https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-brace-ban-august-2022

ETA: If I'm going to SBR my pistol, I'd much rather have it in a trust rather than in my name, but If fingerprints are required regardless, then I'm really not sure what the advantage of having it in the trust is, other than transferability?
txyaloo
AG
SupermachJM said:

My dad bought a suppressor with his trust back before you were required to fingerprint for a trust. If I want to Form 1 the SBR, will I have to do fingerprints now?

I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right kind of trust here...I'm assuming this one is the right type:
https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/atf-brace-ban-august-2022

ETA: If I'm going to SBR my pistol, I'd much rather have it in a trust rather than in my name, but If fingerprints are required regardless, then I'm really not sure what the advantage of having it in the trust is, other than transferability?
If you use your dad's trust, and if you are a responsible party on it, both he and you (along with all other responsible parties) will have to submit pics and prints.

If you do your own trust, you can amend it to remove your dad as a responsible party so only you have to submit pics/prints. Then you add him back after the paperwork was submitted.

Biggest advantage of trust is that multiple people can have possession of the NFA item. So if you SBR as an individual, no one else can have the gun in their possession unless you are with them. With a trust, any responsible party can take any NFA item on the trust and use it (or you can limit it by serial number if you don't want someone to have full access). Transfers are tax free via a Form 5 on death for either trust or individual but with a trust the transfer process is usually detailed in the trust
JSKolache
AG
SupermachJM said:

So I've got a question about the trust portion of this:

If I want to put my pistol in a trust (I don't have a trust set up but I'm considering doing it ASAP before this is filed with the federal register), does it have to be an NFA trust?
I was planning on SBRing my pistol eventually, but I'd like to wait and see if this ruling actually goes through.

I'm assuming the best process is:

1) Set up trust
2) Add pistol to trust
2a) Wait. If nothing happens, well, I have my gun in a trust now, no harm no foul
3) If this does in fact go through, take advantage of the free SBR I intended to do from the beginning.

1) Set up trust - YES do this TODAY
2) Add pistol to trust - YES do this TODAY
2a - 3) these steps can wait until later

Steps 1 & 2 can be accomplished in 2-3 hours using various trust vendors. (I used guntrustguru site from Jim Willi - but the site appears to be down today.)
  • You email/call for inquiry & they ask you for some vital stats about yourself. An hr later they email you essentially their boilerplate trust mockup with your personal details inserted (appx 10-15 pages.) It's not effective until you go get it notarized - at bank, from co-worker, office mgr, etc.
  • My setup has separate pages for assignments of firearms. This also require notary. You will want to fill out one Assignment form for your pistol (need Manufacturer, Model, Serial# - take a photo of these marks on your gun & write them into form exactly as they are engraved on your gun.) Form has spot at bottom for notary. Get this notarized today along with trust doc. Then you're all setup to get a free stamp if you want it.

If this manufactured crisis pans out then you have a trust & pistol assignment ready to go effective today. Later on you will need to fill out a Form 1, get fingerprinted, etc. This doesn't need to happen today.

And if the whole boondoggle goes away after ATF is challenged in court (a certainty), then you can always remove the pistol you assigned into trust (either formally by filling out another form & getting notarized, or informally by throwing original notarized assignment form in shredder )

lp01
AG
Can anyone recommend any of the trust vendors? Tried the guntrustguru site and as you mentioned, it didn't work.
Irish 2.0
Likely a hollow move for the time being, but at least Gaetz is going at the heart of the problem

Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces
tandy miller
AG
I feel like repeal the NFA would be more likely to gain ground
txyaloo
AG
lp01 said:

Can anyone recommend any of the trust vendors? Tried the guntrustguru site and as you mentioned, it didn't work.
Don't use any of the one shot trusts. They're generally designed for just one purchase.

Chris Bass is based in DFW and does NFA trusts. I think there's another attorney in San Antonio who has done trusts for many on the board.

I'd go with one of those guys over an out of the box trust. They're likely more up to date on the proposed rule.
AgCMT
AG
lp01 said:

Not sure how granular that you want to get on the trust but Silencer Shop does one in about 5 minutes. It works and isn't too expensive.

I had a lawyer create my first trust about 15 years ago when I lived in the Houston area. I had to make some changes on it and he was no longer to be found. I went ahead and had Silencer Shop make mine when I was buying some cans. It was pretty painless.
BenderRodriguez
AG
tandy miller said:

Neither will likely go anywhere, because the GOP never drafts legislation like this when they actually have power.

Politicians will never willingly restore your freedoms.
txyaloo
AG
tandy miller said:

Hell, just delist SBR, SBS, AOW and suppressors. Keep machine guns and destructive devices on NFA but open up the registry again for new manufacture of machine guns.

I think delisting suppressors and AOW actually has a chance to pass if we had a President with a backbone and a Congress that didn't suck. Then we could incrementally chip away at SBR/SBS
Mr. Dubi
My google-foo seems to be confirmed by smarter people than me: Brace ban not filed in Federal Register yet. So if you want to get in on the SBR stamp thing, get your pistols on trust inventory and notarized today!

agingcowboy
AG
I already have a trust set up. It sounds like I could/should add braced pistols to the trust. Can this be done by just filling out an assignment sheet and getting it notarized? Can't find a copy of an assignment form online. Anyone have one…? Or do I have to do this through the company that helped me set up my trust??
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txyaloo
AG
agingcowboy said:

I already have a trust set up. It sounds like I could/should add braced pistols to the trust. Can this be done by just filling out an assignment sheet and getting it notarized? Can't find a copy of an assignment form online. Anyone have one…? Or do I have to do this through the company that helped me set up my trust??
Your trust should have an assignment form as part of its attachments (assuming it uses one). Not all trusts use a specified form. If you read thru the trust, it should tell you the process for adding assets to it.
Irish 2.0
tandy miller said:

ShouldastayedataTm
Y'all do realize that even if it is in a trust before published the free tax stamp is individual only. A trust does not qualify for the free stamp. So if you put it in trust and want to stamp it that will be 200 per. Or pull it out of trust get free stamp, then form 4 it into trust and pay 200 dollars to put it back in trust. Will try to find the page in the rule where this is laid out. Then add it to this response.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.