Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,553 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I also don't know what that is but blotched water snake was my first instinct as well. Also that is a saltmarsh snake the guy found in Galveston crossing the street right?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AZAG08
AG
Location is Needville
12f Mane
AG
Young Blotched watersnake is correct but that is an atypical pattern in the anterior portion of that snake. Well done sirs.
12f Mane
AG
quote:
Yeah I also don't know what that is but blotched water snake was my first instinct as well. Also that is a saltmarsh snake the guy found in Galveston crossing the street right?
Correct on both
Sean98
AG
My neighbor is having an egg reduction problem.

AggieGunslinger
AG
Escaped black mamba. I can only assume that whoever took that picture is now dead.
Vernada
AG
Was kicking some trash out of the way before mowing this morning and had a coral snake appear and start running for it. Dude was probably 18" long. Pretty Sure I wounded him good but he crawled into my neighbors backyard.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG

Killed on the border of our property and our neighbor's pasture. The dogs were going nuts.
AZAG08
AG
Veranda and Cloudy Judgement are neighbors?
tex2000
AG
That's a big coral snake
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
That snake was in Magnolia
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:

who's magnolia?
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
quote:
quote:

who's magnolia?

One of your old college bicycles
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
college bicycles

i loved them all.

30 seconds at a time.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I saw a small diamond back water snake along the SA River today. He was too fast and too spooked for me to get a picture, my first opportunity to contribute and he didn't cooperate. Juvenile, nice tan color.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
I saw a small diamond back water snake along the SA River today. He was too fast and too spooked for me to get a picture, my first opportunity to contribute and he didn't cooperate. Juvenile, nice tan color.
lots of lawyers on this board will be happy to write a polite-yet-firmly-worded letter to the snek about its failure to cooperate.
jefe95
AG
Can a snake be identified by the skin it leaves behind after it molts? Obviously no color pattern, but curious if the scales leave an identifiable pattern
OnlyForNow
AG
Some genre can be differentiated between from a shed snakeskin. I'm not sure if individual species can't be though, Probably by an expert...
carpe vinum
AG
some sheds are easier to identify than others
Outside of a Zoo, a Gaboon Viper hasn't been seen on this continent yet I recognize that color variation and would scream and run like a little girl.
Many Texas snakes have similar patterns that are muted by sheds, thus more difficult to identify.

mrsbeer05
AG
Reading this thread has gotten me thinking about snake digestion. How do snakes handle the bones and fur or feathers of the animals they eat? Do they produce something similar to an owl pellet? Does it vary by snake?
ZooGuy
quote:
Reading this thread has gotten me thinking about snake digestion. How do snakes handle the bones and fur or feathers of the animals they eat? Do they produce something similar to an owl pellet? Does it vary by snake?
They digest most of the bone and fur. Sometimes, a recognizable part of the animal digested (usually fur from my experience) will come out in the waste. But, most of the time, it is fully digested.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
This needs to be cross-posted from the Tine board: Rattlesnake inside the Loop?
12f Mane
AG
My response:

Just a ratsnake. There are no rattlesnakes in the loop and about 1% chance of one being within the beltway.
ccard257
AG
Giant snake skin found near river in Westbrook (Maine)

ZooGuy
quote:
Giant snake skin found near river in Westbrook (Maine)

Somebody's pet that they let go that will probably die during the winter when it gets too cold.
Oruc Reis
AG
Saw my first coral snake yesterday, so beautiful. Was too busy getting my dog away from it to snap a pic
Finn Maccumhail
AG
This is an old pic of a timber rattler on my lease in Tyler County a couple years ago. I couldn't find it for the longest time and just got it loaded to Pb.

AggieBaker09
AG
quote:

Where in magnolia?
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
Between 2978 and 1488
pnsagdad
Id? Caught in Tomball. I swear it's a corn but my buddy swears it a rat haha

Thisguy1
ZooGuy
Rat snake. Rat and Corn snakes are in the same genus
12f Mane
AG
Inside the loop that's a massasauga
JD Shellnut
AG
So is the western rat snake the only subspecies of rat snake in Texas? And are the rat snakes in Texas mostly blackish or does it vary widely? I live in Deep East Texas, so wasn't sure if the eastern rat snake made it to my area.
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
So is the western rat snake the only subspecies of rat snake in Texas? And are the rat snakes in Texas mostly blackish or does it vary widely? I live in Deep East Texas, so wasn't sure if the eastern rat snake made it to my area.
This is what I see around my place in BCS. These and various water snakes are pretty prolific. Occasionally I see a milk snake, speckled king, copper head, and the odd brown snake and garter snakes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.