Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

555,396 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Red touch yellow, kill a fellow; red touch black, friend of Jack

At least that's how I was taught. I have heard other variations
SanAntoneAg
AG
quote:
Well stop being ignorant by learning your snakes.

That will eliminate you're fear.

Rattler
Cottonmouth
Copperhead

All have sharp triangular heads and distinctive colors.

Then there is Coral. Someone fill in the color saying here. But bottom line on corals is they can be deadly but have extremely small mouths and it would take a bite between your fingers for a puncture.

You are preaching to a choir boy, man.
SteveBott
AG
Thanks 09. I too have heard variations
SteveBott
AG
Oh one more thing in Tx the only snakes with hard triangle heads are poisonous plus the coral

With one exception. I think it's a Gardner snake which mimics the rattler. Not sure if that's the right species but key is it does not have an actual rattler.

Done
SanAntoneAg
AG
Gardner? Triangular head?

Please, educate us.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is true but when you frighten a diamondback water snake, broad banded water snake, and several other native, non-venomous species, they flatten out their heads to mimic the traingle shape of their venomous cousins. I've seen this first hand many times when catching them (mostly as a kid, I don't catch snakes much these days).

Now if they are just sitting there in a non-threatened state, you can absolutely tell the difference. Even when threatened it's not that hard but for the average outdoorsman, it can be very deceiving.
SteveBott
AG
09 agreed. But there is no way a rat snake can imitate a poisonous snake. And it's rare to not see the snake in a normal position first. Happens though
SteveBott
AG
Rat I caught getting the paper one morning. And yes I am aware of the "bed hair". But that is not 'tranguler' head.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
For many, the "normal" position is really the crouching death position... Ready to lunge twice their body length in a fraction of a second.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Although they may do it, I have never personally seen a rat snake flatten out their head like the water snakes. Rat snakes that I have run across are pretty non aggressive.
ursusguy
AG
If you are familiar with snakes, the triangular head characteristic makes sense, trust me, most of the general public will view a distressed head as triangular. I quit teach that as a main characteristic a long time ago.

Coral snakes can bite a bigger target than people give them credit for, if they can grip it, they can envenomate them. Also need to kill the chewing idea, they don't have to chew to inject you.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Any idea on why this is such a misconception with coral snakes? Specifically, the rear-fanged lie?
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Any idea on why this is such a misconception with coral snakes? Specifically, the rear-fanged lie?

Unfortunately, it's what a lot of educators will tell people concerning Corals. By nature, they are shy, timid snakes, and will generally put their head underneath their body advertising their colors. If that doesn't work, they of course will bite. I've relocated several and all were very timid and wanted to go hide.
ursusguy
AG
Because most bites end up being to the hand because they are being handled. Accidental coral snake bites are extremely rare (and coral snake bites are rare to begin with).

Couple other notes--once you cross south into Mexico, throw the color saying out the window. If you are in Arizona, make sure to check out photos of the shovel-nosed snake (pay attention to the head-not black).
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Makes sense. I was told this as a kid but learned not long after that it was not true. Haven't had a whole lot of encounters with coral snakes but they have all been similar in that the snake is very shy and tries to escape before resorting to any sort of aggressive behavior. what's creepy is, they are small and hide well, and they can really cause some serious damage with their neurotoxin. Not my favorite snake to run across.
SteveBott
AG
Corals are not much threat to adults. They are a concern to small kids. Kids toes and lack of awareness is a concern.

Small pets lesser so but possible. Bottom line lethal but really rare to run up to one.

Knucklesammich
Most common poisonous snake found in our Cedar Park neighborhood are coral snakes. Saw one last year if I stumble on one this year in its suburban greenbelt habitat I'll take a pic.

I did not kill that with a shovel or fire since we were several hundred yards from any houses in a still undeveloped spot.
insanediego
AG
this pic always freaks me out - triangular head? didn't see while I was running like he//
12f Mane
AG
Some good coral snake info on this thread. As far as what threat different venomous snakes pose to humans, I like to say no one has ever been bit avoiding a snake or leaving it alone.

That last pic is bogus. Pretty obvious forced perspective.
Muzzleblast
Found an Eastern Hognosed snake yesterday here in North Grimes County.

Got dozer work going on here at the farm.

Put him farther out away from the house.

I have picked up several against the house foundation.

What do they feed on?
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
Found an Eastern Hognosed snake yesterday here in North Grimes County.

Got dozer work going on here at the farm.

Put him farther out away from the house.

I have picked up several against the house foundation.

What do they feed on?

Toads, Frogs, etc. Amphibians.
Muzzleblast
Makes sense. Got a lake just off my front porch.

Farm life.

Thanks.
12f Mane
12f Mane
AG
Still a little chilly for serious surface movement (outside of south Texas). Here in SE Texas, these are always ubiquitous and seem to tough out the winter under surface cover but not underground.

Rough Earth Snake

ursusguy
Credible Source
AG
I've seen coral snakes in Steiner Ranch flower beds. We should let the Californians know the saying when they move here "Red and Yellow, totally mellow".
12f Mane
AG
Walked a channelized creek in west Houston today and the snakes and turtles were out in full force. Six snakes in an hour, mostly broad-banded watersnakes.

ursusguy
CanyonAg77
AG
Never heard of gardner, but garter snakes are common and neat little snakes from my part of the world. The most common rattlesnake mimic I know is the bull snake. Very cool snakes, they get very big. When imitating, they flatten their head, coil, shake their banded tail, and make a rattle-like sound with their mouth. Quite convincing. I've had one strike at me, after I had positively identified him as a bull. Still made me jump.

And if this thread is a snake picture thread, I submit my groundsnake photo from 2014. First one I ever saw. That's a quarter by his tail.

ursusguy
AG
Sweet photo.
12f Mane
AG
Yeah, neat snake
KDubAg
AG
I see these snakes everyday...

12f Mane
AG
Uh oh, we got a ball morph guy in here
KDubAg
AG
quote:
Uh oh, we got a ball morph guy in here
It's the wife actually. I re-ignited the snake craze with her when I took her on a surprise trip to a reptile show last year. Oops.
agingcowboy
AG
So I haven't been around here long, but have read several of these snake threads since joining. I have learned a lot from folks that clearly know a ton about snakes. I've changed my way of thinking somewhat and will certainly think twice before I lop off any heads. What do the snake experts recommend we do with snakes that have been identified as venomous? Like if I lift up a piece of sheet metal and find 5 copperheads? After I change my shorts, is it reasonable to kill them? Or is that still frowned upon? Particularly if they are near the house, etc.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.