Houston
Sponsored by

Anybody Ever Find A Rattlesnake In The Loop?

7,117 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Waffledynamics
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just found one in Timbergrove. It was a baby but I assume there are more.

Edit

It was 100% one of these guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massasauga

A type of Rattlesnake.
FNG
There are definitely more!
Madman
AG
Be on the look out for momma

The Original AG 76
AG
Well since you said EVER ....... Yes . In the middle of the old football field at St Thomas HS on Memorial in 70 or 71. Couple of us found it , called a coach over and he went to his car got a shotgun and .....
Probably crawled up from the bayou across Memorial.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Pics? Did it have a rattle? Otherwise I'm betting it was a hognose.
Madman
AG
I didn't take one. But it was the same markings and color as the one above. tiny little nub for a rattle on the end. About 12 inches long.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Anything is possible I suppose but we're talking about an exceedingly rare chance. I fish White Oak Bayou regularly and even water moccasins aren't that common. Mostly diamond back watersnakes or broad-banded watersnakes.

Both are regularly mistaken for water moccasins.

And the number of times I see people mistake a rat snake or hognose for a venomous snake is astounding. People who spend a lot of time outdoors too.
ccolley68
AG
I would think with all the rain and runoff in the rivers and bayous, displaced snakes from other areas getting caught up in it and washed into terrain that isn't normally their's is possible, or even likely. Drought years or years with less rain, not so much
KDubAg
AG
quote:
That's what I was thinking. But yea, I guess anything is possible. With so many people, (not specifically the OP because I don't know him), misidentifying snakes I would be hesitant to think there was a rattlesnake in the loop.

Hognose

Massasauga rattler on left and hognose on right.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
The ones I've heard about have all been on the east side near the the ship channel. Easy to find a place to hide and a steady diet of rodents.
Madman
AG
KDub

It was like the one one on the left in the second pic.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i would put money on juvenile ratsnake.

Madman
AG
Just went for a walk. Found another one dead in the street. Took this pic. Smaller than the other no button.

Madman
AG
Is the pic I posted a ratsnake or a rattler? Looks more like the rattler to my eyes.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Juvenile rat snake.
Zobel
AG
Not ITL but we had a copperhead bite a worker inside our plant in Pearland. A couple of people had said they'd seen them but I figured it was not actually a copperhead. I was wrong...
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Not ITL but we had a copperhead bite a worker inside our plant in Pearland. A couple of people had said they'd seen them but I figured it was not actually a copperhead. I was wrong...

Copperheads are far more common than rattlesnakes around Houston. Unless you're down on the coast (especially in the dunes) or over in the Piney Woods the chances of seeing a rattlesnake near Houston are extremely small. Copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins are pretty common though.

But not nearly as common as all the non-venomous snakes around here. Which are generally misidentified.
12f Mane
AG
Just a ratsnake. There are no rattlesnakes in the loop and about 1% chance of one being within the beltway.
Wodanaz
AG
While we're throwing out statistics, I'd venture to bet all monies in the world on the 100% chance of 1 rattlesnake being somewhere inside the beltway.
12f Mane
AG
Native and not a pet? I'd take that bet. You're best (or only) shot would be a pygmy rattlesnake in the Sheldon area, IMO, and the last record is at least 50 years old.
ursusguy
AG
I would trust 12 fMane on this one.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
Native and not a pet? I'd take that bet. You're best (or only) shot would be a pygmy rattlesnake in the Sheldon area, IMO, and the last record is at least 50 years old.

And I live about 10 minutes from Sheldon and walk the trails there (plus Eisenhower Park off Big Eddy) regularly where a pygmy might be found but only see the usual suspects. Saw a timber rattler on the road at my lease in Tyler county a couple years ago.

12f Mane
AG
Thanks for the invitation to come look for timbers on your lease!
aggiedent
AG
The 4,352,789 rat snake killed, mistaken as something poisonous.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:

If it were up to me I'd have no problem. But it's a large "hunting club"- approximately 45 members on about 5800 acres leased from 8 different landowners (mostly timber/paper interests) in the Neches River bottoms. I'm just a junior member who doesn't spend near the time there I'd like to. But it's cheap and close.
88jrt06
AG
Pour one out for all the king snakes killed as corals.
No shortage of corals in Austin County, though.

Within 10 minutes of the Renassance Fest there must be a million copperheads, I swear.
ZooGuy
AG
quote:
quote:
That's what I was thinking. But yea, I guess anything is possible. With so many people, (not specifically the OP because I don't know him), misidentifying snakes I would be hesitant to think there was a rattlesnake in the loop.

Hognose

Massasauga rattler on left and hognose on right.
Western Hognoses are not found in the Houston area. Eastern Hognoses are. Easterns have a much different patterning.
Boo Weekley
Yep, was gonna say you won't find a hognose that looks like that around here. They're much darker here. Used to make great pets when we were younger.
mt3950
AG
quote:
quote:

If it were up to me I'd have no problem. But it's a large "hunting club"- approximately 45 members on about 5800 acres leased from 8 different landowners (mostly timber/paper interests) in the Neches River bottoms. I'm just a junior member who doesn't spend near the time there I'd like to. But it's cheap and close.

What county? Think our leases are pretty close to each other.
94chem
Corals and copperheads all over the place in Kingwood. Never seen a rattler.
Texas Tea
AG
quote:
If you read his post, you'd know that he didn't kill the one in the picture. It was found dead on the road.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

What county? Think our leases are pretty close to each other.

Tyler.

We're west of the Neches between 255 and 190.
Madman
AG
quote:
quote:
If you read his post, you'd know that he didn't kill the one in the picture. It was found dead on the road.
Yep. And as I walked the dogs this morning I saw another one. Also run over by a car.
94chem
I was grilling in the backyard one night, and I heard a commotion in the street out front. I went through the house and started heading out to the street, only to meet my 5 year old son heading back toward the house. The commotion had excited him so much that he had run out of the house in his underwear and was coming back to put on pants. Turns out, a neighbor had a dead 6 foot long snake in the street. He had just killed it and was explaining to all the neighborhood kids how it was poisonous, and you could tell by looking at its head. I walked up, took one look, and said "bullsnake." Not only did the gentleman not appreciate it when I properly identified his fresh kill; he apparently also thought I was cursing him. He sheepishly ended his snake lecture, and went to dispose of the beautiful creature, who should still be eating baby rats in my backyard.
BMX Bandit
Could have been my kid.

Really makes you think.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.