Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2016

583,661 Views | 2152 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Moderator
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do the bigger zoos not require antivenom for the serious guys? Cobras, Mombas, Brown Snakes, etc.
ZooGuy
They usually do, but that stuff ain't cheap. We were a small 13-acre zoo with about a $800,000 -1 million operating budget. The local hospitals didn't stock the other stuff, which is why there was always the life flight option (which someone did have to take once - he's now a director at a zoo in the southeast - got bitten by an eyelash viper - was the consulting bet at the time).
ursusguy
AG
The catch with coral snakes (and expensive) is it doesn't do much damage, it just shuts you down. As long as you make it to the hospital, and get you on a respirator, you are most likely going to make it with little damage......it just may take a couple weeks for your body to metabolize the venom. But, coral snakebites account for <1% of US envenomations, so there isn't much of a market to create the antivenom.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
This brings up an interesting topic that I don't believe has been addressed yet:

How to deal with a (venomous) snakebite?

You or ZooGuy probably have the credentials to pen something educational for this thread. Not trying to volunteer y'all, just think it would be of value for those that check out this thread.
GinaLinetti
AG
My bf got bit by a baby rattler on his index finger a few years ago on the Eagleford. He has a little finger now. They didn't amputate, but the necrosis ate away most of it. Funny looking now. I think the life flights him to one of the army hospitals in SA. Good thing the company he was working for covered those bills
ZooGuy
General answer - stay calm, get to the closest hospital asap. Don't try to use one of the "suction" tools they sell in some first aid kits (don't work anyhow) - main thing - just stay calm.
ZooGuy
Had a friend that was pulling mites off of a rattler (felt sorry for it). He of course got bitten - 15 vials of antivenin later, he was fine. He didn't have any major tissue damage, but he did stay calm.
GinaLinetti
AG
Apparently they used a tunicate. Apparently that makes it worse.
ZooGuy
quote:
Apparently they used a tunicate. Apparently that makes it worse.

It localizes the venom I believe.
GinaLinetti
AG
Here are some pics. I'm leaving out the one where part of the finger fell off cause ewwwee

The hole just closed up in the last month or so. Pretty gnarly that a little snake can do that damage.
Whoop04
Wow.
DJV2012
ursusguy
AG
With the pit vipers, Zooguy's response is what I would say. Only thing I would add is remove any rings. This part is a very general statement, with US pit vipers (Mojave rattler a slight exception), your biggest issue the first 2 hours is SHOCK. Keep calm and head for the hospital. Beyond 2 hours, then you start looking at system support, and you are in NW80 territory.

Just adding, talk to your local herper, they often have recommendations for specific hospitals.
ttha_aggie_09
mrsbeer05
AG
What is NW80?
CanyonAg77
AG
quote:
What is NW80?
Username of a trauma surgeon on TexAgs
mrsbeer05
Post removed:
by user
Ducks4brkfast
AG
More like drama surgeon amirite?
ZooGuy
quote:
More like drama surgeon amirite?
oneeyedag
Venom actually affects the lymphatic system as that's where most toxin molecules are actually transported.

Prehospital care is usually removing restrictive clothing, rings, bracelets etc. around the bite area. In the field, we usually circle the bite and document the time on the skin with a sharpie if available, otherwise ball point pen.

IV of normal saline and dependant on transport time, pain meds and monitor.
BeardofZeus01
AG
Crazy pics ... thanks for sharing. What was the time lapse between pics 1/2 and between pics 3/4. and it took 2 years for the finger to eventually heal completely?
trouble
AG
quote:
General answer - stay calm, get to the closest hospital asap. Don't try to use one of the "suction" tools they sell in some first aid kits (don't work anyhow) - main thing - just stay calm.

This.

Plus take a picture of the snake if possible. Don't bring the damn thing to the ER esp if it isn't truly and completely dead.
GinaLinetti
AG
Between 1/2 I think it was about 5 days. Two weeks to pic 3. Lots of super gross for about 4 months. I believe he was bit in the middle of June and the last pic was from the end of November. I didn't know him then but that's what I gather from stories with the pics. Wasn't pleasant.

And this month was three years. He still doesn't have feeling at the tip of the finger and still gets nerve pain at times.
trouble
AG
quote:
i had no idea nw80 was a trauma surgeon.

He's an incredible trauma surgeon.
12f Mane
GinaLinetti
AG
Cmon trouble. I know you can handle snakes.
ZooGuy
quote:
Cmon trouble. I know you can handle snakes.
trouble
AG
Absolutely.

Once upon a time, snake bites were one of my specialties.
oneeyedag
That's some bad rhabdomyolysis on that ole finger.

I've transported a few bad ones. Rattlesnake bite to the Web between the thumb and index.

We were unable to secure an airway via intubation, so I did my first cricothyrotomy. A young 20 something Paramedic with a scalpel at the cricoid notch. I looked as if I had slight Parkinson disease, I was nervous.
BeardofZeus01
AG
on a lighter note, that finger appears to be the perfect shape for efficiently picking your nose. minus the lack of tactile sensation of course ... :/
GinaLinetti
AG
It's sorta funny pointing somethings out on a menu at a restaurant and watch the waitresses face when she sees it. Making other people uncomfortable for my entertainment is awesome.
ellebee
You should post "lots of super gross".
GinaLinetti
AG
Or I could text them to you. After I eat my watermelon
ellebee
My face when I see a text come through that says "the white is the bone and tendon"

Oh boy here goes...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.