Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,608 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FaceID is definitely a security concern. It's a lot harder to get access to my info if you need physical access to my finger as opposed to just a quick glance.
Desert Power
AG
Where is everyone ordering through? I tried ordering through Verizon but I saw that it wasn't gonna get in until Sept 29th
62strat
AG
claym711 said:

FaceID is definitely a security concern. It's a lot harder to get access to my info if you need physical access to my finger as opposed to just a quick glance.
This is what I'm thinking. Some guy grabs your phone sitting in front of you, points it at your face, and you look at it since this guy just took your phone, and he's in.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I just don't see these scenarios as likely. Quite frankly it's too convoluted. It'd be a whole lot easier to snatch someone's phone out of their hand while they have it unlocked than do what you're describing. Either way, they still have to get away from you while also making sure the phone doesn't lock. Seems like a problem that is being pretty overblown to me.
WES2006AG
AG
ONE-TWO-- said:

Where is everyone ordering through? I tried ordering through Verizon but I saw that it wasn't gonna get in until Sept 29th
Apple. The iphone 5 debacle with AT&T was enough to convince me to never order from a carrier again. It is the same price everywhere and Apple seems to have the best trackrecord of getting phones to people when they say they will.
nai06
AG
NPH- said:

I was so excited about this iphone event, but man I am super let down.

I have an iPhone 6+, and have been holding out the past two years for an upgrade that seems to make sense.

I'm not quite sure the X seems like an upgrade that makes sense. But does the 8 or 8+ make sense either?

I need some help deciding people, what is y'alls input? And before someone makes the android comment, I respect your opinion but wont go back to Android. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
my wife has a 6+ and is in the same boat. I think she is just going to get a 7+.
WES2006AG
AG
Just one analyst but this seems to be the consensus.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/kgi-iphone-x-supply-demand-balance-2018/
Deputy Travis Junior
For people that have a smart watch, any thoughts? I like the idea of wearables and think they'll be awesome at some point in the future, but don't feel like we're there yet. A few semi accurate health sensors + a workout organizer don't seem like a game changer to me, especially at that price.
Brick Tamland
Just got the 8. It'll be here next Friday. I decided the ordering the X will be insane so I went the easy way out. Rocking the 5s right now.
Brick Tamland
I have last year's Apple Watch that isn't waterproof. I love it for fitness tracking and checking notifications. Don't use it for much else but that's also the reason I bought it.
WES2006AG
AG
Deputy Travis Junior said:

For people that have a smart watch, any thoughts? I like the idea of wearables and think they'll be awesome at some point in the future, but don't feel like we're there yet. A few semi accurate health sensors + a workout organizer don't seem like a game changer to me, especially at that price.
I have a 1st gen Apple Watch and really like it. The battery life is still great and I only use it for telling the time and checking notifications so I am still a generation or two away from upgrading it.
WES2006AG
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Just got the 8. It'll be here next Friday. I decided the ordering the X will be insane so I went the easy way out. Rocking the 5s right now.
That is going to be a huge upgrade
AggieFrog
AG
I've had a few smart watches (Pebble Steel, Moto 360 Sport, and now a Garmin Vivosmart 3 which is more of an activity tracker). In my experience, the notifications turn out to be more distracting when in meetings or especially when in conversation with someone than just pulling out your phone. The action of looking to your watch tends to lead the other person to think you're tiring of the conversation rather than just checking a notification. That said, the main issue I have with the Apple Watch is the battery life and the need to charge it daily or at the least every 1.5 days or so. With my Garmin, I go 5-7 days between charges and at that it takes only about 20-30 minutes to charge, so one morning a week it charges while I shower and get ready for work and it's good to go for another week.
AggieFrog
AG
WES2006AG said:

Brick Tamland said:

That is going to be a huge upgrade
Wow - Manziel was still playing for the Ags when that 5s came out and I've had 4 different phones in that time span.
WES2006AG
AG
AggieFrog said:

I've had a few smart watches (Pebble Steel, Moto 360 Sport, and now a Garmin Vivosmart 3 which is more of an activity tracker). In my experience, the notifications turn out to be more distracting when in meetings or especially when in conversation with someone than just pulling out your phone. The action of looking to your watch tends to lead the other person to think you're tiring of the conversation rather than just checking a notification. That said, the main issue I have with the Apple Watch is the battery life and the need to charge it daily or at the least every 1.5 days or so. With my Garmin, I go 5-7 days between charges and at that it takes only about 20-30 minutes to charge, so one morning a week it charges while I shower and get ready for work and it's good to go for another week.
This is my main gripe about having a smartwatch. It combines two rude behaviors at once, checking the time and checking a notification. I will turn on do not disturb if I know I am going to be engaged in a conversation and don't want to be rude.
Brick Tamland
I had a 7 Plus but sold it because I got tired of the bigger form factor. Loved the larger screen though. 5s was all I had laying around.

Haven't missed an upgrade since I got the 4 in 2011
Pman17
AG
WES2006AG said:

tamusc said:

Yeah, I think the X preorder is going to be a nightmare due to the sheer number of people likely waiting for it combined with the reportedly small numbers of units available.
I have a feeling there will be a significant number of people waiting until after January 1 for their X preorders.
Air Pods didn't see 1-2 week shipping till last month and they got screwed with this new wireless charging case upgrade. Reminds me of the iPad 4 when it came out the same year as the iPad 3. That was when they switched to lightning.
Brick Tamland
Exactly. I bet next fall we will see normal supply and shipping for the next generation version of the X, and at that point I won't have any hesitation on getting it
AggieFrog
AG
Pman17 said:

WES2006AG said:

tamusc said:

Yeah, I think the X preorder is going to be a nightmare due to the sheer number of people likely waiting for it combined with the reportedly small numbers of units available.
I have a feeling there will be a significant number of people waiting until after January 1 for their X preorders.
Air Pods didn't see 1-2 week shipping till last month and they got screwed with this new wireless charging case upgrade. Reminds me of the iPad 4 when it came out the same year as the iPad 3. That was when they switched to lightning.

I've had AirPods since January - wireless charging for the case is nice but hardly necessary. I only charge the case every few days and for less than an hour at that.
WES2006AG
AG
The rumors im seeing have the wireless AirPods case coming in at $69. Apple can go **** themselves on that one. I'm not throwing more money at $159 headphones just to not have to plug them in.
LOYAL AG
AG
evan_aggie said:

Quote:

And it will only be about $10 more a month than an 8

This isn't a swipe at you, but more of a realization of how the majority of folks seem to handle the costs of life these days. We break things up into monthly payments so we don't freak out about a $1000 phone, or a $300+ premium over $699 phone. We find ourselves leasing vehicles and just worrying about a monthly payment. 30% of American car owners lease a car.

Apple was brilliant in letting people pay $20+ a month to lease a phone and trade in each year never really owning what they are using.

My business doesn't own servers or PC's either. What's the difference? They aren't charging me interest so why wouldn't I borrow their money for free for two years? Why own something that's already obsolete?
I just finished a 16 hour shift (started at 1am this morning) for the iPhone preorder launch for a major wireless carrier. We've screwed up previous iPhone launches in the past so we were very prepared for this one. The call volume was very very low for this one. It was dead! Obviously the iPhone X launch later in October took away a lot of the hype for the iPhone 8 but I was shocked at the results.
testosterbone
AG
I opted for the 8 plus this afternoon, and will be delivered this upcoming Friday. Definitely not a lot of pre-orders.
evan_aggie
AG
And you miss the point entirely, but that's expected.

Anyway, which remark are you suggesting is a free loan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-and-iphone-cost-breakdown-through-apple-monthly-payment-plan-2017-9

"Of course, there's a catch. Because Apple's upgrade plan works something like a combination between a lease and a two-year loan, you'll likely end up paying just as much or more under it as you would if you bought a phone outright.

Whenever you swap out your phone for a new one, you're committing to pay the full cost of that phone over the next two years. You can swap out the phone every year, but then you're essentially committing to pay Apple a monthly charge in perpetuity. If you buy a phone outright, you don't have to spend anything more."

Also, not all monthly payments equal the amount of the phone and can exceed it. I think it depends on your provider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cheatsheet.com/gear-style/7-hidden-ways-cell-phone-providers-charge-you-more-money.html/amp/

LOYAL AG
AG
evan_aggie said:

And you miss the point entirely, but that's expected.

Anyway, which remark are you suggesting is a free loan?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/iphone-x-and-iphone-cost-breakdown-through-apple-monthly-payment-plan-2017-9

"Of course, there's a catch. Because Apple's upgrade plan works something like a combination between a lease and a two-year loan, you'll likely end up paying just as much or more under it as you would if you bought a phone outright.

Whenever you swap out your phone for a new one, you're committing to pay the full cost of that phone over the next two years. You can swap out the phone every year, but then you're essentially committing to pay Apple a monthly charge in perpetuity. If you buy a phone outright, you don't have to spend anything more."

Also, not all monthly payments equal the amount of the phone and can exceed it. I think it depends on your provider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cheatsheet.com/gear-style/7-hidden-ways-cell-phone-providers-charge-you-more-money.html/amp/

Every time I've done the math at the AT&T store it's been $x/24. At that point why give them $x? Maybe I'm not spending enough time trying to figure out how to save a few bucks here. If so shame on me but as long as the math is $x/24 I'm taking the payment plan.
Unless you have the money to buy a flagship device at full price, paying a monthly payment for two years to own a device is a bad investment considering how rapid the cell phone market is. After 2 years of paying off your iPhone 6 that retailed at $700 when it launched, by the time you paid it off the iPhone 7 is on the market for the same price and your iPhone 6 is worth a fraction of that. There's no value in owning the phone. Leasing is the way to go.
Phat32
AG
We did the math when we bought 7's for the rib and I from AT&T. We could have paid outright, but if they're going to give us an interest free loan...why not?
hph6203
AG
AT&T's standard Next plan (2-year upgrade with trade in) is always the Retail Price in 30 payments with the tax on the retail price of the phone due up front. The overall outlay for the phone is 100% the same. You're never obligated to upgrade your phone, and once you've made all 30 installments you own the phone. Anyone arguing that buying the phone outright upfront is the better option doesn't truly understand how to manage their money effectively. If you have a problem with living beyond your means because you sign up for all kinds of monthly payments then by all means shift to an upfront payment mindset.

It's the same mindset that causes people with a 30 year mortgage and 3.5% interest rate to accelerate the amortization of their loan, because they don't have the self control to take the excess funds and invest it wisely. It's not the ideal move, but if the alternative is lotto tickets or a whole new wardrobe every month then go for it.

AT&T Next is the same thing as it was with the 2 year contracts, but instead of paying a down payment up front, you have a balance due at the end of 24 months (to be paid as a lump sum to own, a phone traded in, or 6 remaining payments to be made). Instead of an early termination fee that's written in fine print of a contract, you have a transparent device fee. The whole reason for the change in plans was because of a class action lawsuit fighting against excessive early termination fees.
Cloud
hph6203 said:

AT&T's standard Next plan (2-year upgrade with trade in) is always the Retail Price in 30 payments with the tax on the retail price of the phone due up front. The overall outlay for the phone is 100% the same. You're never obligated to upgrade your phone, and once you've made all 30 installments you own the phone. Anyone arguing that buying the phone outright upfront is the better option doesn't truly understand how to manage their money effectively. If you have a problem with living beyond your means because you sign up for all kinds of monthly payments then by all means shift to an upfront payment mindset.

Isn't it just better to pay full price, keep the phone for 2 years, avoid a contract, and then sell the phone private party when you get a new one?
evan_aggie
AG
Assuming no contract fees, no et, prorated amount owed blah blah, then no, I agree, it would always make sense to take a zero % loan, and put the money in a 1.3% savings bank, etc or index fund. That's what some on here would argue anyway.

My primary point, which I think 90% of people missed, is that the total cost of an upgrade or maybe the X over the 8 ($300+tax) is so much easier to justify or mentally accept when you argue it is only $12 more a month or whatever the number ends up being.
Brick Tamland
The way I look at it, I upgrade my phone every year and pay roughly half the price. Sure, I never straight up own it, but my generation sucks at owning things. I wanted to upgrade every year when I was under 2 year contracts and was paying $200 for the phone (for two years but found ways to only keep it for one). I'm going to pay $360ish on the 8 over the next 12 months before I go to the next generation of the X. I can't justify dropping $700 on the spot for the 8, but paying monthly takes the sting out of it. No interest, and I can upgrade every year. Sounds like a decent deal to me.
BrazosDog02
AG
So we all agree that this super premium iPhone x is a half assed attempt that is overpriced for what it is and really has nothing to offer aside fom edge to edge display?

The lack of fingerprint scanner is a deal breaker for me. I just don't understand it. A company with the means of apple should have made that happpen.

I feel like I see a few features someone said " **** it, get rid of it, we won't make the deadline".

As evidenced here, I forsee a lot of sales followed by what will be a pretty epic flop once everyone uses it on real life in real social settings.

Of course I'm pissed off but I can't understand why apple would shoot themselves in the face by offering competition from themselves. The 8 plus is a far better deal than the x. They are identical phones aside from a gimmicky faceid and an OLED screen that really isn't that big a deal in practice.....it's a non feature for the price point. I just don't get it.
Brick Tamland
Every time I think about canceling my order to wait for the X I think about the things you posted. If the fingerprint scanner was under the screen then there would be no doubt, but there isn't and I only see the differences as the OLED screen (neat) and the advanced front camera (which I never use anyways).
Desert Power
AG
Any of y'all switch from the Plus and back down to a smaller size? I have the 7 Plus but I'm thinking of trading it in for the 8 and I just don't know if I'll regret going back down to a smaller size. I've got big hands but this is still pretty annoying trying to use with one hand.

Another question I have is how will the wireless charging work if you have a case on the 8? I'd be pretty nervous wielding that all glass phone and dropping it without a case. I assume that the lightning cable will also charge the phone like all previous iPhones.
LOYAL AG
AG
Cloud said:

hph6203 said:

Isn't it just better to pay full price, keep the phone for 2 years, avoid a contract, and then sell the phone private party when you get a new one?

Using "Next" with AT&T you don't have a contract for service. If you cancel service all you're going to do is pay off the device. There's just no downside to that deal. If you change phones you can keep the old one and sell it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.