Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,967 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieFrog said:

8+ will have the better battery life.

this might tip me over the edge for the 8+, touch ID works so well that I'd rather wait a couple of years and let them shake the bugs out of X and beyond models. The "S" models always seems to be the best value in the rotation. Less bells and whistles but more reliable and improved features for a 2 year stint.

It really appears that the 8 is the 7s in all but name, is it confirmed that the dimensions are the same?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

I think it's a no brainer for someone with a 6

My 6 still works fine; battery life good; It will be at least next fall before I get a new phone unless there is just something in the new ones I can't live without. If that's the case, maybe next spring.

I plan to get an iPad pro soon. While I'd like a better camera on my phone, I don't need better screen resolution. I might watch videos on an iPad but not a phone.
Guitarsoup
AG

Home button dongle.
G Martin 87
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

I think it's a no brainer for someone with a 6

My 6 still works fine; battery life good; It will be at least next fall before I get a new phone unless there is just something in the new ones I can't live without. If that's the case, maybe next spring.

I plan to get an iPad pro soon. While I'd like a better camera on my phone, I don't need better screen resolution. I might watch videos on an iPad but not a phone.
I may try holding onto my 6 another year too. 128gb, not a scratch or break ever, and it's completely paid for. The battery isn't as good anymore, but it's good enough.
The Fife
No headphone jack, no buy. I'm keeping my Nexus 6P, wife is keeping her iPhone 6S. Since there's a toddler running loose and he sometimes gets his hands on her phone anything expensive would be asking for trouble anyway.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Fife said:

No headphone jack, no buy. I'm keeping my Nexus 6P, wife is keeping her iPhone 6S. Since there's a toddler running loose and he sometimes gets his hands on her phone anything expensive would be asking for trouble anyway.
If you bought the Nexus 6P from Google and it is having battery issues (like premature shut off), Google is giving you a free replacement Pixel XL.
GarlandAg2012
AG
The Fife said:

If that's your mantra youre going to end up with less a than mainstream phone in a couple years I'm afraid.
TexAgsAnon
3rdGen2015 said:

Something that wasn't discussed during the keynote (that I heard at least), both 8's and the X are fast charge enabled.
iPhones have been fast charge for years, they just don't advertise it. They'll charge super quick with a 2.3A charger.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dude I read that this piece of crap doesn't come with earbuds for a thousand mf ing dollars?
Guitarsoup
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Dude I read that this piece of crap doesn't come with earbuds for a thousand mf ing dollars?
$160 extra. But you can charge it with the brand new same system Android has used for half a decade Qi wireless charger. Also sold separately.
drewser95
AG
All three come with wired earbuds. And a lightning>3.5mm adapter for other headphones.

Monoprice carries a Qi pad for like $10 I think.

I'm leaning towards getting a 128GB 7+. I have my 6S for regular use and a 5S that I keep as a backup phone & iPod. Not sure which of those I'll trade in.
Guitarsoup
AG
Oh, I thought Apple dumped the headphone jack.
The Fife
Guitarsoup said:

The Fife said:

If you bought the Nexus 6P from Google and it is having battery issues (like premature shut off), Google is giving you a free replacement Pixel XL.
I have the one Nexus 6P out there with awesome battery health. Not sure whether I'm the lucky or unlucky one here... it's a 64GB too so that means it'd be almost sure to get replaced with a Pixel XL.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm confused. Doesn't come with any charger for fast charge. Doesn't come with charging mat. Does it come with a lightning cable?

Ok....I have a MacBook Pro so all I need is the cable for fast charging usb c to lightning.

I see how they are doing this.

Also why would I buy an airpower mat if they use Qi and I can buy something on amazon for a lot cheaper?
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Oh, I thought Apple dumped the headphone jack.

They did, the headphones that come with the new phones are plugged directly into the lightning port.
Noble07
AG
I'm finally upgrading my 4S
AggieFrog
AG
henry07 said:

I'm finally upgrading my 4S

First upgrade since we joined the SEC?
The Fife
GarlandAg2012 said:

The Fife said:

If that's your mantra youre going to end up with less a than mainstream phone in a couple years I'm afraid.
Possibly, or I'll be back to carrying around an iPod again. Most of what I listen to are 2 hour livesets and music podcasts so streaming wouldn't be an issue. I tend to listen on my phone only out of the convenience of carrying one device, drag and drop vs. iTunes, and updating the Podcasts quickly with Podcast Addict when new episodes come out.

Only our receiver in the family room has Bluetooth and it's finicky. Either it works correctly the first time or you get to spend the next half hour troubleshooting (or saying f*k it and plug in the AUX cable). On the other hand 3 cars, two other receivers in other rooms, countless sets of headphones, and my construction area boom box rely on a 3.5mm line out.
Guitarsoup
AG
I got a free Pixel XL 128GIG eight months out of warranty.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm really torn. I want the iPhone because my experience proves them to be of higher build quality and reliability than my android phones. It'll work with my iPad and MacBook Pro. However, every iPhone I have ever gotten has always left me feeling like its one step behind everyone else. I always feel like it would be perfect if it just had "one more feature".

That said, my androids always feel like they have cutting edge technology. Granted som of it doesn't work worth a piss, but still, you never feel like your being shorted.

Man....wtf apple...how did you instill this feeling.
The Fife
Did you send them a 128GB 6P for it? Advice on how to get mine to do it would help here... I cycle the battery up and down every day between Waze and listening to music while driving and at work, but of course when this thing quitting would work out in my favor it keeps on going.
Guitarsoup
AG
Had a 64GB 6P. The battery is terrible - sometimes shuts down at 65%. Some battery app says I have ~800mA of useful life. But the Pixel XL comes in 32 or 128, so they upgrade everyone with a 64 to 128. My nexus was a great phone, but I was cursed with the terrible battery. I get 60-90 minutes of screen time and then it randomly shuts down.
G Martin 87
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I'm confused. Doesn't come with any charger for fast charge. Doesn't come with charging mat. Does it come with a lightning cable?

Ok....I have a MacBook Pro so all I need is the cable for fast charging usb c to lightning.

I see how they are doing this.

Also why would I buy an airpower mat if they use Qi and I can buy something on amazon for a lot cheaper?
Of course it comes with a charging cable. Apple didn't remove the Lightning port.

The AirPower mat is just Apple's version of a Qi charger that can charge several devices at the same time. No reason to buy one unless you want that capability.
Phat32
AG
Have not missed the headphone jack once in a year of owning the 7. Get some wireless headphones, you putz.

Those that are complaining about a headphone jack while clutching their 4S are not Apple's market.
BeastmodeAg
AG
My biggest concern is the supply of iPhone X's that will be intiallt available..
BrazosDog02
AG
I use wireless headphones already so the lack of jack isn't a thing for me. I think the 64GB is plenty big. With cloud services readily available, I just don't find the need for that much storage on a cell phone. The few people I do know who complain typically have poor workflows for photo archiving. You know, the ones that need immediate access to Christmas 2003 gallery. Lol. Not everyone...but a lot.
agdoc2001
AG
rasher said:

Have not missed the headphone jack once in a year of owning the 7. Get some wireless headphones, you putz.

Those that are complaining about a headphone jack while clutching their 4S are not Apple's market.

Some people prefer wired headphones for better audio quality. Putz.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Javelina
AG
I had the same issue with my wife and her photos, luckily iCloud has alleviated most of those. For me, I like to keep a lot media on my phone as well as a couple go to games that I like to play along with whatever new game I'm playing. 64 just isn't enough. 128 was perfect to hold everything and provide a buffer.
RangerRick9211
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

How could you have an edge to edge screen with a home button? If you don't mind losing the home button whats wrong with the iPhone X?
Xiomi MiMix and Essential managed to figure it out.

This is stupid:
RangerRick9211
AG
How does Samsung's iris handle just looking at the phone for time, check notifications or skipping a song - but not actually unlocking? Seems like that could get annoying quick.

RangerRick9211
AG
agdoc2001 said:

rasher said:

Some people prefer wired headphones for better audio quality. Putz.
Or, you know - not having to charge another f'ing device.
Phat32
AG
All I'm saying is Apple doesn't care about you.
GarlandAg2012
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

How could you have an edge to edge screen with a home button? If you don't mind losing the home button whats wrong with the iPhone X?
Xiomi MiMix and Essential managed to figure it out.

This is stupid:

I agree. No idea why they didn't move TouchID to the back, where it belongs.

Also the Mi Mix has a chin with a camera in it which is bizarre. Not sure if that's better than a screen with a cut out at the top.
dcaggie04
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

How does Samsung's iris handle just looking at the phone for time, check notifications or skipping a song - but not actually unlocking? Seems like that could get annoying quick.

You have to have your eyes looking directly into two circles on the unlock screen for it to unlock. If it doesn't register your eyes in those two circles, it will not unlock. I have my S8 setup with iris lock and it works great.
dcaggie04
AG
rasher said:

All I'm saying is Apple doesn't care about you.
That's true, they only care about the people that will overpay for there products that don't have all the functionality and conveniences of non-apple products.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.