Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,963 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
k20dub
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I first started mine it said 2 days lol but ended up taking about an hour. On a 7 plus but series 0 Watch.
rynning
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I've preordered my Apple Watch version 3. As a runner the streaming of music from the watch really interests me. Of course, I'll have to buy bluetooth ear buds. Any word on if it'll stream Spotify at some point?
I run with my series 2 and wireless headphones. (You can find some cheap highly-rated headphones on Amazon.)

However, the way I listen to music / podcasts is to sync a playlist to my phone over wifi, then my phone syncs the playlist from my phone to my watch (I think) over bluetooth, but only when the watch is charging. It happens automatically, but it's convoluted.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Trying to decide which phone to get. Would I notice any major differences between my iPhone 6s plus and the iphone 8? Thinking about going back to a smaller sized phone.
evan_aggie
AG
I briefly played with the watchOS 4. Nothing earth shattering yet..
Charpie
AG
I had a 6 plus and moved to an 7 plus last year. Screen resolution seemed to be better, along with speed. The 7 plus was simply faster. And lets not forget about the space. The 7 plus was bumped to having 32gb to start. The 8 plus will have 64gb to start.

I
tamusc
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Trying to decide which phone to get. Would I notice any major differences between my iPhone 6s plus and the iphone 8? Thinking about going back to a smaller sized phone.

As Charpie point out, there will be some performance differences, but going from a Plus to a regular sized iPhone could be pretty jarring. I couldn't go back to that small of a screen, though the overall size doesn't bother me (hence why the iPhone X is intriguing). Things like typing on a screen that small are significantly harder for me, but I do have fairly large hands.
Charpie
AG
And for my work phone, I went from a Note 5 to an iPhone 7. Compared to my plus, it's like a bar of soap and I'm afraid is gonna get lost
tamusc
WES2006AG
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I think I'd miss the battery life most if I were to go back to the smaller iPhone.
62strat
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

How in the **** do you get a new iPhone for free? Did I read that right?
Yes you did.

AT&T had this random 2-3 week offer back when 7 came out, they'd buy your old iphone 6 back for the base price of the 7. ($650)

If you wanted an upgraded 7, you just paid the difference. There were only 2 stipulations;
the phone had to power on, and you had to pay it off.

Of course I had to pay the tax on the 7. But, after paying the tax and the 2 remaining payments on my 6, I had a $100 charge for 125GB 7 upgrade, split over 24 months. So every month my bill has the installment charge of $31.25 (x24 = $750), but up in the header of my bill there is a credit of $27.09 (x24 = $650). Net installment payment of $4 and change.

My 6 was basically 2 years old at that point. My wife was getting a phone, and I was talking to her about my 6, and the salesmen overheard and said 'You have a 6? Do you know about our promotion to get a free 7?'
I was like, spare me, I'm not interested. He said 'you sure, it's totally free, no catch'.

I said.. go on?

Free iPhone 7.

My work paid my cell phone bill for 14 out of 24 months of my 6, so I honestly only paid about $300 for the 6, and now $400 for a 6 and 7.

Phat32
AG
I did the same thing. We felt like we HAD to do it just based on the terms. It's been perfectly fine and was a seamless trade-in.
khkman22
AG
I wouldn't expect the same promo this year as that one was almost too good to be true, but if people are holding off upgrading for the X and then nobody can get the X because of supply issues, I could see them running it again just to get some sales volume and have people somewhat locked in again.

But since the base price has increased by $50, it may be upgrade for $100 or something to that effect where it is still a good deal, just not as good as last year's.
62strat
AG
Yeh the sales guy told me he'd worked for at&t since first iphone, and they had never done that before.

Fingers crossed though.. Heck even half off is good enough for me.
powerbelly
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

I stepped down from the plus to the regular and don't regret it at all. I am thinking about moving down again to the SE.
Brick Tamland
Not earth shattering, but I like it a lot for the most part.

I like how when my music is playing, the controls will show up on my watch.

I don't like the new app switcher. Wish it had gone horizontally like before, but with the vertical swipe to close the app.

The Siri face is my favorite part of the new OS.
khkman22
AG
Guess I'll post it here instead of starting a new thread, but just want to verify that by updating to iTunes 12.7, when I backup my phone to my computer, it will save my organization of all my apps. I don't use iCloud backups and want to make sure I don't lose anything or have to figure out what to redownload.

After trying to read some stuff, I think I'm okay, but just want to make sure. I hate Apple's change to redownload all of the apps from the cloud though after a restore. My 8Mbps service is not built for that. Not to mention my iPhone 6 is not quick at installing multiple apps all at once.

I was going to backup my phone on iTunes 12.6, but it downloaded the update automatically and wouldn't let me open it since it was in the middle of the update.
TexAgsAnon
You should really use iCloud backups.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Yeah, it's 2017. Probably need to backup to the iCloud.
Pman17
AG
iPhone X delays. Production starts two weeks before pre-orders.
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/20/iphone-x-production-further-delays/
Charpie
AG
Got my tracking number for my 8+
GarlandAg2012
AG
Bought an 8 for the wife as a surprise because her 6's battery is not cutting it anymore. Never bought directly from Apple before, just want to make sure if she wants a different color or decides to go up to the 8+, I should be able to return it within 7 or 14 days, correct?
Javelina
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Bought an 8 for the wife as a surprise because her 6's battery is not cutting it anymore. Never bought directly from Apple before, just want to make sure if she wants a different color or decides to go up to the 8+, I should be able to return it within 7 or 14 days, correct?
What are you going to do with her 6? Any interest in selling it?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Possibly. We might keep it as a backup phone. PM me with an offer if you want.
Dumpster Fire
I have a 6 that I will be selling once we upgrade.

post your e-mail address here if you are interested and I'll get anyone the info when it is ready to sell.
txag2008
AG
Any change with watch os 4 and/or Watch series3 that now allows for podcasts to be played without your phone in 'offline' mode? I know there are some apps that can apparently do this, but they're clunky.

(this would be for the non-LTE version of the watch)
khkman22
AG
TexAgsAnon said:

Well, I did when I got the phone and then it stopped a week after I started.

Finally got it to work today again by deleting up the old backup. But in my chat with Apple Support, I'm not sure I want to use it because they couldn't even explain to me how they work.

Just curious because I'm not sure based on the chat with Apple. If you backup all apps, are they restored in the same folders and layout or do you manually have to redo all of that from iCloud? What about messages being backed up? Apple said they were not backed up, but they are through an iTunes backup to my computer.

If there are things that are going to be missing or cause me to take additional time to go back and do, why wouldn't I do backups through iTunes?
TexAgsAnon
khkman22 said:

TexAgsAnon said:

Well, I did when I got the phone and then it stopped a week after I started.

Finally got it to work today again by deleting up the old backup. But in my chat with Apple Support, I'm not sure I want to use it because they couldn't even explain to me how they work.

Just curious because I'm not sure based on the chat with Apple. If you backup all apps, are they restored in the same folders and layout or do you manually have to redo all of that from iCloud? What about messages being backed up? Apple said they were not backed up, but they are through an iTunes backup to my computer.

If there are things that are going to be missing or cause me to take additional time to go back and do, why wouldn't I do backups through iTunes?
It likely stopped because you ran out of the free 5gb of iCloud space.

Spend the 99 cents per month and get the 50gb plan.

When you back up and restore through icloud, everything comes back where you left it on the homescreen. The apps sometimes lose app data (like game save files). All pics will come back automatically if you are syncing those to iCloud. Yes, messages are backed up. You'll have to sign back into all your apps that require logins.

I have just had far better luck using iCloud vs iTunes, my experience is with 100 iPhone users in a corporate environment. I don't have time to support 100 instances of buggy iTunes running on Windows when iCloud just works every time.
Brick Tamland
iCloud backups
Brick Tamland
Phone shipped this morning, will be here tomorrow
WES2006AG
AG
Picking up my 8+ at Memorial City tomorrow. I'm somewhat excited, I guess.
BrazosDog02
AG
Originally, I was lamenting that fact the the X doesn't have a fingerprint scanner and it pissed me off. I couldn't figure out why apple couldn't figure out how to make it happen considering there is ultrasound technology available for exactly the purpose of reading fingerprints through glass. Then it kind of dawned on me that there is ZERO need for three forms of authentication on a phone. You had a relatively secure pass code and a really secure fingerprint scanner. Now you have the sa me pass code and an uber secure face id. The more I read through the blogs, the more I think that the touch I'd is a "has been" fature that won't be returning.

The more I think about it, the more I think the that Apple realized the future of security and fixed it and is too smart to just leave out a print scanner because they couldn't make it work. Once again they have perfected already introduced technology and it will now become the standard to beat.
hatchback
AG
Out for delivery!
Brick Tamland
I agree with that.
Mainly because of the highly probable severe backorder of the X, I wanted to see how FaceID does this next year so I got the 8. They're supposedly adding it to all three phones if it does well, and rushing the fingerprint under the screen if it doesn't. I like FaceID, though. If it goes well then I'll get the X next year, or whatever the 2nd gen version of it is.
Brick Tamland
hatchback said:

Out for delivery!

Samesies. I'm working from home today because I'm sick. Nice coincidence!
Sugar_Land_Wes
AG
Am I able to walk into a store today and pick up an Apple Series 3 watch? I have one ordered through apple.com but it shows an Oct 13th ship date.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.