Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,306 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
degreedy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gosh dangit if FedEx doesn't deliver my phone today I am going to lose it.

My 6+ has become borderline inoperable.
Pman17
AG
Beta testers, Watch OS4.1 is OUT!!!!!
Means those with LTE Series 3 can now stream Apple Music!
easttexasaggie04
AG
Any word how to make Twitter or Instagram work on the watch? Honestly...I don't really care that much...it just bugs me when something doesn't work.
k20dub
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Any word how to make Twitter or Instagram work on the watch? Honestly...I don't really care that much...it just bugs me when something doesn't work.
Twitter no longer works for the watch
degreedy
AG
So my 8+ finally arrived!!

As someone said previously, the responsive of the phone is unbelievable compared to my original 6+.

Also, people I talk to through the phone have said they can hear me so much better than my last phone.

I am however experiencing the crackeling a few people are talking about in the ear piece. It's very quiet but definitely noticeable enough to be a bit distracting.
Jim01
AG
My wife and I both have the 6 and want to upgrade but this is the first time we've looked at upgrading since 2 yr contracts went away. Sucks. So basically you just have to pay full price right? I mean you can "lease" but if you want to own it you still have to pay the remaining balance in the end?

We have had the Sprint SERO plan forever. $50 a month unlimited everything. But now I wonder if there is anything better out there.

What do you all pay a month (including phone lease if you are doing that)?
JBAggie00
The Watch 3 is a huge improvement over the first watch. I'm still holding out with my 6+ but iOS 11 seems buggy so far.
Charpie
AG
Its buggy on the 6Plus. Not on the 8+
degreedy
AG
Jim01 said:

My wife and I both have the 6 and want to upgrade but this is the first time we've looked at upgrading since 2 yr contracts went away. Sucks. So basically you just have to pay full price right? I mean you can "lease" but if you want to own it you still have to pay the remaining balance in the end?

We have had the Sprint SERO plan forever. $50 a month unlimited everything. But now I wonder if there is anything better out there.

A lot of people are talking about this lease to own deal. At Verizon, you essentially pay the full price of the phone over the next 24 months, so if you buy an $800 phone you'll pay it in equal monthly installments.

I've down it this way the last few years that way I can "own" my phone at the end of the term, allowing me to have it as a spare, give it to the kids, or sell it if I need to.
tamusc
AG
NPH- said:

Jim01 said:

A lot of people are talking about this lease to own deal. At Verizon, you essentially pay the full price of the phone over the next 24 months, so if you buy an $800 phone you'll pay it in equal monthly installments.

I've down it this way the last few years that way I can "own" my phone at the end of the term, allowing me to have it as a spare, give it to the kids, or sell it if I need to.
And honestly, people were essentially doing the same with two year contracts. Now the phone costs are just broken out separately and you can control how much that is.
hatchback
AG
WES2006AG said:

hatchback said:

Is anyone experiencing overheating with their 8+ on a regular basis? When holding the device in my hand, the upper right corner of he back - just below the camera - gets very warm and the screen dims for about 5 minutes before the phone cools down.

Haven't experienced this. Sounds like you may need a trip to the Apple Store.

I've been able to pinpoint the NYT app as the culprit that overheats the phone.
Jim01
AG
But how is that? Plan costs have gone down? With my Sprint SERO plan it is $50 a month for unlimited everything and used to be with a 2 yr contract agreement a new iPhone would be $199 and I would own it. Now my plan cost won't go down at all and I have to pay $699 for a new iPhone, either upfront or parsed out over lease. That frickin sucks!

So for regular plans are you saying the plan prices have gone down to account for the added cost of the monthly phone charge?

I've had an awesome setup with SERO for almost 10 years. I guess Sprint is effectively killing it now with this lease crap though
tamusc
AG
Most plans did indeed go down. AT&T and Verizon both broke out the cost of the phones. Most plans charged somewhere around $25-$30/month for a phone with the whole 2 year agreement thing on top of whatever you paid for the phone every two years which meant you generally paid more for the phone than if you had bought it outright. That monthly price didn't go down after the phone was paid off either, so if you DIDN'T upgrade every two years, you were paying extra for nothing. So for most people, the current model makes more sense financially.
Jim01
AG
Gotcha, but my cost will probably go up anyway, since there are probably no plans + iPhone options that = $50-$60 a month.

A quick look at ATT looks like cheapest unlimited is $60 a month plus the phone fee so almost $90 a month. for one phone yikes!

Also, it seems like ATT broke out the cost of the physical phone, but if I actually want to use a phone on the plan there is a $20 "device access charge"? So aren't they still basically charging me each month on top of the plan for the right to use a phone? "We aren't going to charge you the phone price in the plan! Butttttttt we WILL charge you to USE that phone on the plan." WTF?

Guess I need to research jumping ship or just keeping our 6's.
tamusc
AG
I think that $20 charge is a one time setup fee or you're looking at a mobile share plan where you pay for the data as a group and then pay a $20 per phone fee ($10 for tablets and watches). For a normal single device plan, you shouldn't have anything other than a one time device activation fee.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So far I'm liking my Apple Watch Version 3. The battery life is great and I usually have at least 50% left on the battery when I charge it at night. The data is so-so, I don't always get a good signal in places like Lowe's. You can leave your phone at home...but I wouldn't recommend it if you have a wife and kids that'll be looking for you. There's a chance your watch might not be on data at the time to receive the call or text.
BEaggie08
AG
Jim01 said:

Gotcha, but my cost will probably go up anyway, since there are probably no plans + iPhone options that = $50-$60 a month.

A quick look at ATT looks like cheapest unlimited is $60 a month plus the phone fee so almost $90 a month. for one phone yikes!

Also, it seems like ATT broke out the cost of the physical phone, but if I actually want to use a phone on the plan there is a $20 "device access charge"? So aren't they still basically charging me each month on top of the plan for the right to use a phone? "We aren't going to charge you the phone price in the plan! Butttttttt we WILL charge you to USE that phone on the plan." WTF?

Guess I need to research jumping ship or just keeping our 6's.
You've been locked into a SERO plan for ten years. Prices have gone up, unlimited went away and came back again, and the way people pay for phones has changed. Just count yourself as blessed. The device access charges were $40 per smartphone line for several years.

For me personally, staying with Sprint wouldn't be worth it because I don't find enough value in their service. I'd rather pay more for a better network. If it works well for you, great! You do have some options. Nobody said you have to buy a phone through a carrier. Your're welcome to buy a used iPhone 7. That will save you money, and all you have to do is backup to the cloud, swap the SIM card, and restore. You can also buy a new phone through Apple and either get on the Apple Upgrade plan, where you're making a monthly payment for a phone for the rest of your life (but you'll get a new phone every year), or you can pay in full at the time of purchase.
Jim01
AG
Yeah looks like I have research ahead of me. I just hate research.
Jim01
AG
Which carrier and plan are you on? Looking at Verizon and ATT single line plans they both show a monthly $20 fee when I look.
tamusc
AG
I'm on the AT&T Mobile Share plan. I pay $130 for 30GB with Rollover and then $15 ($40 - $25 "Discount for Access) plus fees and taxes per phone and then $10 plus fees and taxes per tablet. I then get a 22% discount across the board thanks my employer.
k20dub
AG
Interesting. I have a Series 0 so I'm thinking of upgrading. Mine is slow and the battery sucks. Not sure if I'd get the cell version or not.
WES2006AG
AG
k20dub said:

Interesting. I have a Series 0 so I'm thinking of upgrading. Mine is slow and the battery sucks. Not sure if I'd get the cell version or not.

I also have a series 0 and have considered upgrading. For now I've decided against it. I only use my watch as a watch, step counter, and for notifications. The 0 still does all those things well at the moment. I'd like to hold out until there is a complete redesign but who knows.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.