Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,970 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's the day all Apple fans have been waiting for. After refreshes of the same design, Apple is finally releasing a new iPhone design that looks very similar to the Samsung Galaxy S8. But don't get your hopes up! With supplier issues and Samsung dominating the OLED screen market, the new design may be just a limited early taste for die hard fans of what's coming next year. That sweet taste of the future is projected to cost over $1,000 for the consumer and will be categorized as a "Premium" phone.
With the accidental leaks of the iOS 11 Gold Master, the Premium iPhone is expected to be called the iPhone X to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the iPhone. Below the iPhone X will be more affordable iPhone 8 and 8 Plus models, skipping the expected 7S title. They are expected to stick with same design we've had for 3 years, but with internal upgrades.

Event Line Up
iPhone 8: A11 Bionic Chip, Possibly Wireless Charging, improved camera, glass back
iPhone 8 Plus: A11 Bionic Chip, Possibly Wireless Charging, improved camera, glass back
iPhone X: No bezel display, FaceID, Wireless Charging, A11 Bionic Chip, Advanced AR Camera, OLED
Apple Watch Series 3: LTE, Altimeter
Apple TV 5: 4K HDR support, Sports Tab for Cord Cutters, 4K movie $ = HD movie $
Apple HomePod: More Details October Event

iPhone 8/Apple Watch 3 Pre-Orders expected this Friday at 2AM, Shipping Sept 22
iPhone X Pre-Orders Oct 27, shipping Nov 3
iOS 11 should go gold today and is expected to release next week with the shipments of new iPhones.
tvOS update should rollout soon as well with more providers for single sign-on support such as PS Vue and DirecTV Now.
iTunes getting 4K movies available to purchase.
Featured AR apps will be shown off at the event. Pokemon Go AR improvements.

Extras
AirPods 1.1: Slightly different case with wireless charging. Sucks for those who got in on it early.
AirPower: Charging pad that allows for multiple devices to be charged at once.
tamusc
AG
Really interested in seeing how they expect FaceID to work as a full on replacement for TouchID on the X if it does not have any TouchID support as rumored. There are just too many circumstances where facial recognition traditionally doesn't work or isn't desired. On top of that, I doubt it will be able to replace TouchID for the myriad apps (like banking) using it due to security concerns.

My bet is that the policies my work puts in place will disable FaceID anyway as it does with the Samsung Iris scanner.

They could absolutely shock me with some crazy new advanced 3D face scanning system more advanced than anything we've seen on a mobile device that might be able to address all of the above mentioned concerns, but at this point, I doubt it since this looks more like an add on to use in place of the failed under-screen touch ID sensor.
3rdGen2015
AG
My crazy prediction for the event:

Holographic Steve Jobs.
AggieFrog
AG
I wonder if they put the Touch ID sensor in the power button.
AggieFrog
AG
Also expect Amazon Video to be available on Apple TV.
tamusc
AG
They've already announced Amazon Video for Apple TV as part of the iOS 11 event and should be available once iOS 11 goes live.

I think the TouchID sensor in the power/wake button has been ruled out by the rumors as well.
BrazosDog02
AG
So don't upgrade to the X now? Coming from a Samsung S5 and Note 4. Had iPhones back before this. From a long term reliability and build quality standpoint, these two Android based phones aren't even in the same league as my iPhones. Want to switch.
MW03
AG
tamusc said:

They could absolutely shock me with some crazy new advanced 3D face scanning system more advanced than anything we've seen on a mobile device that might be able to address all of the above mentioned concerns, but at this point, I doubt it since this looks more like an add on to use in place of the failed under-screen touch ID sensor.

I'd bet they have an IR camera in the front facing one for facial mapping on the X.
hph6203
AG
tamusc said:

They've already announced Amazon Video for Apple TV as part of the iOS 11 event and should be available once iOS 11 goes live.

I think the TouchID sensor in the power/wake button has been ruled out by the rumors as well.
I wouldn't get my hopes up on the Amazon Video app becoming available in the next month.

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/29/amazon-prime-video-app-not-ready-in-september/
Pman17
AG
iOS 11 GM leak indicates FaceID will do facial mapping allowing you to create facial expressions for certain emojis without having to go through the vast array of emojis.
BrazosDog02
AG
If I puff out my lips in a selfie like the girls do these days will it insert a duck emoji to my texts?
Pman17
AG
starting
Pman17
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

If I puff out my lips in a selfie like the girls do these days will it insert a duck emoji to my texts?
Pman17
AG
"Town Squares"
tamusc
AG
Yawn, store rebranding and redesign.
Javelina
AG
I just want to know how much the watcher series 2 is going to be priced at once they release the series 3.

Then I want to know when I can order my new phone.
Pman17
AG
tamusc said:

considering brick an mortar stores are dying, they're doing something to fix that
tamusc
AG
So do the Samsung phones that have their Iris scanner tech. The problem is that it's still not considered as secure as fingerprint sensors and blocked from use by most apps and companies that do allow fingerprint authentication.

It's possible that Apple could come up with something new, at least in the mobile space, that companies will consider reliably secure enough to replace TouchID.
tamusc
AG
True enough. They definitely are leaning into the Apple Store events and user education.
MW03
AG
tamusc said:

So do the Samsung phones that have their Iris scanner tech. The problem is that it's still not considered as secure as fingerprint sensors and blocked from use by most apps and companies that do allow fingerprint authentication.

It's possible that Apple could come up with something new, at least in the mobile space, that companies will consider reliably secure enough to replace TouchID.
Yeah, I have the S8 and rarely use the iris scanner. Swiping a shape is still faster for me.
agdoc2001
AG
Pman17 said:

tamusc said:

considering brick an mortar stores are dying, they're doing something to fix that

Good luck with that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Pman17
AG
Apple Watch Series 3
-LTE (stream music and make phone calls, and actually use Siri with no hiccups)
-Altimeter
-Dual Core
-Same Size as Series 2
3rdGen2015
AG
Very impressive that they could fit all of the cellular stuff into the same form factor
Phat32
AG
What's with the red dot on the scroll wheel? That is atrocious.
Pman17
AG
Pre-orders for Series 3 on the 15th and out the 22nd so iPhone pre-orders are the 15th
AggieFrog
AG
No more series 2.

I'm curious of true battery life and what the carriers will charge for the watch service on the Series 3. Still nothing that makes me want to buy one.
cman1494
AG
Onto Apple TV 4K now
Javelina
AG
It's so people will know that it's a Series 3 and not some lowly earlier series.
Pman17
AG
all bought HD titles on iTunes will be upgraded to 4K for free!
Pman17
AG
ooh, game start notifications
Javelina
AG
Phone time.
Pman17
AG
here we go, iphone
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
rasher said:

What's with the red dot on the scroll wheel? That is atrocious.
SuperAg05
AG
Glass Back? Boooooooo
cman1494
AG
Never was a fan of the glass back on the 4/4s

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.