Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,453 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ONE-TWO-- said:

Any of y'all switch from the Plus and back down to a smaller size? I have the 7 Plus but I'm thinking of trading it in for the 8 and I just don't know if I'll regret going back down to a smaller size. I've got big hands but this is still pretty annoying trying to use with one hand.

Another question I have is how will the wireless charging work if you have a case on the 8? I'd be pretty nervous wielding that all glass phone and dropping it without a case. I assume that the lightning cable will also charge the phone like all previous iPhones.

I went from a Note 4 to an iPhone 6S. The Swype keyboard made the Note easy with one hand but the archaic keyboard on the iPhone makes it hard with one hand regardless of size. It's easily the most disappointing thing about the iPhone and one of the things that if not remedied by time I'm ready to upgrade will make me go back to android. Keyboard aside the screen size hasn't been a big deal for me.
hph6203
AG
You've been able to change the keyboard on the iPhone for since the iPhone 6S at the very least, if not the 6.... You can install Swype in your iPhone or you can get Google's gboard keyboard which is basically the same thing.....
AggieFrog
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

So we all agree that this super premium iPhone x is a half assed attempt that is overpriced for what it is and really has nothing to offer aside fom edge to edge display?

No, we don't all agree. Plus display in a normal sized body. I'm curious about the face unlock but if it works it has potential to be better than the fingerprint scanner and I'd bet they have been working on that tech for a few years (it wasn't just thrown together).
AggieFrog
AG
ONE-TWO-- said:

Any of y'all switch from the Plus and back down to a smaller size? I have the 7 Plus but I'm thinking of trading it in for the 8 and I just don't know if I'll regret going back down to a smaller size. I've got big hands but this is still pretty annoying trying to use with one hand.

Another question I have is how will the wireless charging work if you have a case on the 8? I'd be pretty nervous wielding that all glass phone and dropping it without a case. I assume that the lightning cable will also charge the phone like all previous iPhones.

Wireless charging works fine with a case. Luckily I still have a few chargers around from my old Androids with Qi.
LOYAL AG
AG
hph6203 said:

You've been able to change the keyboard on the iPhone for since the iPhone 6S at the very least, if not the 6.... You can install Swype in your iPhone or you can get Google's gboard keyboard which is basically the same thing.....

I have a 6S. The Swype board is very poorly reviewed and costs $.99. It's not the money it's the concern over buying something with a rating of 1.x. I hadn't heard of gboard. I'll give it a look. Thanks!

LOYAL AG
AG
hph6203 said:

Just installed Gboard. Significantly better than the native keyboard! Thanks! Now it's a one handed phone again. It's a pain in the ass driving with my knee because I have to use both hands to text.
k20dub
AG
I believe the case has to be 0.3" or less thick in order to wireless charge without issues.

Also, with the ios11 update, they have a keyboard update for the Plus size that shifts the keyboard to one side, supposedly making it easier to type with one hand. We will see.
hph6203
AG
Good deal, I've been using Gboard for about a year now. Works well enough for me
TexAgsAnon
k20dub said:

I believe the case has to be 0.3" or less thick in order to wireless charge without issues.

Also, with the ios11 update, they have a keyboard update for the Plus size that shifts the keyboard to one side, supposedly making it easier to type with one hand. We will see.
It's garbage and a real pain to activate (have to go through settings every time).
Brick Tamland
I'm going from the 7 Plus to a 8. I didn't like the larger form factor very much (loved the larger screen). I gave the X a hard look because it combines the screen size and body size I prefer but I occasionally pick up my wife's 7 and it reminds me I made a good choice.
khkman22
AG
On the plus models, what non-stock apps take advantage of the split screen in landscape mode? Of the stock apps, I only think it would matter for me on mail.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've preordered my Apple Watch version 3. As a runner the streaming of music from the watch really interests me. Of course, I'll have to buy bluetooth ear buds. Any word on if it'll stream Spotify at some point?
Brick Tamland
Doubtful, but if you're streaming it through your phone you can control it from your Watch
easttexasaggie04
AG
That's the thing, I don't want to carry my phone during a run.
Charpie
AG
I'm trying to decide between the 8 plus or the X. The husband really wants the X. I have a 7 plus and I love it. I also paid 200 bucks down on it. So I literally can get the 8 plus for the same price as what I'm paying right now.

I love having all the new space for music and pics. I was thinking that the X might take better pictures, right?
WES2006AG
AG
Charpie said:

I'm trying to decide between the 8 plus or the X. The husband really wants the X. I have a 7 plus and I love it. I also paid 200 bucks down on it. So I literally can get the 8 plus for the same price as what I'm paying right now.

I love having all the new space for music and pics. I was thinking that the X might take better pictures, right?

It would surprise me if there was a discernible difference between pics taken on an 8+ and pics taken on an X.
k20dub
AG
I think you may have to try Apple Music out if you're wanting to fully take advantage of the new Apple Watch and playing music from it.
Charpie
AG
For those of you with Apple Music and Spotify, which one out of the two do you like best? I ordered two watches, and we all use Spotify.
AggieFrog
AG
Charpie said:

For those of you with Apple Music and Spotify, which one out of the two do you like best? I ordered two watches, and we all use Spotify.

I used Spotify for several years and moved to Apple Music last year. If you have a mix of platforms then I'd suggest Spotify. But if you're basically all in on the Apple ecosystem I'd go Apple Music for the better integration. Moving between the two is pretty painless with an app (STAMP worked well for me).
easttexasaggie04
AG
I've enjoyed Spotify the last couple of years but if Apple Music is the only one that'll stream from the watch then I'll make the switch. I look forward to seeing how it all works. This will be my first Apple Watch and I think i picked a good one to start with.
degreedy
AG
Yeah... I guess I'm going with the 8+.

Been debating back and forth about the smaller or the +, but I'm so use to the 6+ that I can't imagine going any smaller. I did try the 7 last year and the small screen I could not get over. Some people can and some people hate holding a tablet up to their face, but I got big hands and a big face so it looks like a normal phone for me!

If I pre-order now would I be expecting a delay at this point in shipping y'all think?
degreedy
AG
Oh and I use Apple Music and haven't looked back. The integration with all my apple products and the apple TV works phenomenal for me.
Brick Tamland
Apple Music is great. I never really liked Spotify for whatever reason. They give you a weekly playlist just like Spotify and only one or two in the last year have sucked.

Most shipping dates I've seen are within 3-4 weeks for pluses, depending on the carrier. Some carriers even still show delivery Friday
Charpie
AG
My delivery date is Friday. I'm in AT&T
Pman17
AG
iOS 11 Today
Pman17
AG
I may drop by the AT&T store and trade in my 7+ for the 8+ since there are plenty. Don't really need to upgrade but I would get a memory boost by 2 at the same rate. Plus I can break my screen protector and send it in to Zagg for a free replacement and use the same case.
62strat
AG
I got my 7 for free by trading in my 6 (Well, got it for $100 because I wanted the bigger hard drive). I think I'll wait to see if AT&T does something similar before dropping this kind of coin on a phone. If so, that would be a 6,7 and whatever phone for ~$750 all in.
Ag CPA
AG
Yay, after 10 years we finally get the files folder.
AggieFrog
AG
62strat said:

I got my 7 for free by trading in my 6 (Well, got it for $100 because I wanted the bigger hard drive). I think I'll wait to see if AT&T does something similar before dropping this kind of coin on a phone. If so, that would be a 6,7 and whatever phone for ~$750 all in.
Sams is offering $100 right now. I'm upgrading my wife from a 6s to the 8. I'm waiting for the X.
BrazosDog02
AG
How in the **** do you get a new iPhone for free? Did I read that right?
caleblyn
By Business Plan offers the 8.64 for $150 and the 8.254 for $300. I have not been told what the X.64 or X.254 will be. Both under a 2-year plan. I am waiting on the X price.

I will be upgrading from the 6.
BrazosDog02
AG
Brick Tamland
WatchOS 4 has been downloading for two hours and still says it has 45 minutes left. Goes to show how much the 5s sucks ass.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Same issue with a 6S. It's not your phone.
Brick Tamland
Makes me feel a little better. I figured the server was overloaded but thought my phone was just having issues downloading since it's so old.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.