Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,450 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now apparently they're doing Pixel XL exchanges for everyone. I'm having screen issues (proximity sensor crapped out?) where the display won't turn on during or after a call and sometimes when the alarm clock goes off in the morning so it's sounding like it's about time to call up Google and roll the dice.

TBH I've never been too sure about what battery life actually was besides AccuBattery estimates. My signal at work is poor so it's usually on a charger. A 15 minute drive with Waze running will pull a good 15-20% off the battery and on longer drives the phone also sits on a charger.
bilbobag
Sounds like the X might not be worth the cost, fair statement?

Thoughts on the Samsung galaxy note products especially the new Samsung galaxy note 8?
GarlandAg2012
AG
bilbobag said:

Thoughts on the Samsung galaxy note products especially the new Samsung galaxy note 8?
Definitely fair for some/many. I think the value comes down to screen real estate/ease of use, incremental image quality on the rear camera with OIS for both lenses, and how much you use the front facing camera. FaceID may turn out to be great but I can't imagine it's so much better than TouchID that it ever really becomes a huge value add for consumers.

Of course there is also the status/luxury/"just because" aspect of it. If you want it just cause you want it, that's a perfectly valid reason to buy as well.
tamusc
AG
bilbobag said:

I guess the answer is...it depends? The overall design is great and integrates many of the design queues from the most popular Android devices. Really, my only complaint or criticism is the complete reliance on FaceID in place of TouchID rather than including TouchID somewhere else on the phone (like the back or side button) in addition to FaceID

I think it's pretty clear Apple really wanted to have a TouchID sensor under the screen, but the tech just wasnt there yet.

I think the better question is do you want iOS or Samsung's heavily skinned Android? I think both the X and the Note 8 appear to very nice phones in their own right (maybe the two best on the market), but both have their issues.
RangerRick9211
AG
Internet is salty this morning: http://notchmode.com/.
tamusc
BrazosDog02
AG
tamusc said:

BrazosDog02 said:

My company still doesn't allow fingerprint scanner on any mobile devices connected to the company resources. This seems stupid though...if the odds of a hack are as great as they are with a 4 digit code and as rare as they say with face I'd...why not use it? Seems stupid. IT people are funny.

They haven't allowed previous versions because they were fairly easy to spoof, even the Samsung Iris scanner.

FaceID actually does look to be pretty big jump compared to the other iterations thanks to things like actual 3D contour mapping.

IT people are funny because they just can't take things like security of a particular for granted based on marketing material presented during a keynote address, especially when there's hefty fines and penalties as in healthcare, if they're wrong. So, they take their time to validate claims made by vendors before allowing said systems to act as gatekeepers to their network and data.

I meant they are funny because in an oil and gas business full of hard science majors it's difficult to take an IT guy seriously when they say that a fingerprint scanner that sometimes won't let it's owner in is more secure than a 4 digit code...

I have noted passcodes of iPhone users from my friend to the CEO of the company by watching them punch it in from 10' away. Does that make sense to you? I know at least one executive that has a 1590 passcode. I mean, come on.

It's not a slam against IT. They don't make the call at my company...they just follow the rules but they do try to sell it which I find funny.
k20dub
AG
I got the 7 plus last year. (Paid in full, unlocked) The X is sexy as hell but I think I'll wait another year since my 7 plus is perfectly fine and I bet the Face ID improves a lot for the next one. Kind of like how the speed of Touch ID has improved. Amazing we live in a world where a phone costs you as much as a MacBook.
Pman17
AG
For those pre-ordering the 8 and Watch, pre-orders start at 2:00 AM CDT tonight. I don't know how bad the demand will be but the best place to not have hiccups is the Apple Store App.
3rdGen2015
AG
I went ahead and did the pre-approval last night through the app. Hopefully this just means I can confirm the order at 2am so I can go right back to sleep.
bilbobag
How did you do pre-approval?
Javelina
AG
Download the Apple Store App, there's directions in the iPhone section, you're basically asking to be preapproved for a loan. Once you get through, it's supposed to make preordering a snap come tonight.
RangerRick9211
AG
So battery size actually went down: 7 Plus = 2900 mAh, 8 Plus = 2675 mAh.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-8-and-iPhone-8-Plus-come-with-smaller-batteries-sizes-revealed_id98073
evan_aggie
AG
A11 bionic looks to have been done on 10nm. I think the A10 was on TSMC 16nm finfet, so the power consumption is probably less, and therefore the battery can be reduced slightly while delivering the same, if not better battery life.
Brick Tamland
Can you nor be preapproved through the app?
WES2006AG
AG
Javelina said:

Download the Apple Store App, there's directions in the iPhone section, you're basically asking to be preapproved for a loan. Once you get through, it's supposed to make preordering a snap come tonight.

Are you already a member? I can't seem to figure out how to get preapproved.
Brick Tamland
I called Apple and apparently you already have to be a member. Maybe I shouldn't order through Apple this go round..
bilbobag
Ah, so you have to be a member..
Brick Tamland
For preapproval, yes. Or at least that how it seems.
WES2006AG
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I called Apple and apparently you already have to be a member. Maybe I shouldn't order through Apple this go round..

I wonder if it would be a pain in the ass to sign up as the preorder is opening? That seems less than ideal.
3rdGen2015
AG
It took a few minutes. But at that point, orders fill by the second. If you want to get it when it opens, take the time to get pre-approved.
Brick Tamland
App is down right now
BlazeHarper

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Pman17 said:

For those pre-ordering the 8 and Watch, pre-orders start at 2:00 AM CDT tonight. I don't know how bad the demand will be but the best place to not have hiccups is the Apple Store App.

Had some hiccups but had it ordered by 2:16.
WES2006AG
AG
People must be waiting for the X. I just put in my preorder and was still able to get in store pick up for the 22nd.
tamusc
AG
WES2006AG said:

People must be waiting for the X. I just put in my preorder and was still able to get in store pick up for the 22nd.
Yep, I think Apple created too much uncertainty with the delayed launch of the X and people are waiting for reviews or the X.
WES2006AG
AG
tamusc said:

WES2006AG said:

Yep, I think Apple created too much uncertainty with the delayed launch of the X and people are waiting for reviews or the X.
I guess that's not surprising. I'm sure I will eventually go with the high end model, But I am going to give them a cycle to work things out.
Brick Tamland
Anyone get the 8?
EarlyAg07
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Anyone get the 8?
Put in our pre-orders about 30 minutes ago. No issues and still getting the phones next week.

With both phones being the 6 Plus, we couldn't gamble on the X having stock anytime soon (both phones are pretty much spent). I've read that only the Watch is having slips in the ship date. I'm envisioning the X pre-order will be chaos. 8 and 8 Plus seem to be going well.
3rdGen2015
AG
WES2006AG said:

I guess I didn't need to wake up at 2am then, oh well. It only took me a few minutes since I basically just had to hit confirm.

The X pre-order is going to be a clusterf*** I guess.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, I think the X preorder is going to be a nightmare due to the sheer number of people likely waiting for it combined with the reportedly small numbers of units available.
hatchback
AG
Had no problem preordering an 8+ just now with a delivery date of 9/22. Definitely looking forward to upgrading my 6 that's fading fast...
Pman17
AG
Ordered a Watch 3 this morning for my gf. I'll just stick with my 7+ for another year and save some Chinese lives. iOS 11 doesn't feel slow at all.
WES2006AG
AG
tamusc said:

Yeah, I think the X preorder is going to be a nightmare due to the sheer number of people likely waiting for it combined with the reportedly small numbers of units available.
I have a feeling there will be a significant number of people waiting until after January 1 for their X preorders.
k20dub
AG
Preordered an 8+ this morning for my wife.

Question:

Any advice on reselling her phone? She has a 6S but theres a small crack about the size of an eyelash in the lower bezel. Doesn't affect the screen at all. Usually I sell our phones on eBay but have never sold one with a crack in the glass.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.