Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,965 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
Javelina
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Javelina said:

I want at least 128 gigs of storage. Really depends on the delta between the 256 8 plus and the 256 X, since neither will be offered in 128.

I ordered a new battery for my 6 last week, hopefully that will solve the draining issues I'm having if I decide to hold out for the X.
I don't understand why they went 64/256. I love the 128 size I have in the 7. But I just looked at the prices for the 7 and 7 plus and it looks like it was a $100 increase between the size tiers (when there were three tiers). So expect a $200 increase when you go from 64gb to 256gb.
Yeah, I've been buying 128 gig phones since they came out. It's a really nice sweet spot, but my guess is that they weren't selling enough to justify offering it, or they did enough market research to realize that if they eliminated the option, more people would go with 256 than step down to 64.

I'm a little disappointed that 128 isn't the new 64. 64 gigs seems really small for a premium phone, which they claim all iPhones are.
gumby579
AG
I have the 6S plus and I think I may sit this one out. It's going to be tempting to get the X but if I can hold out another cycle I think I am. I tell you what though, if they had included AirPods with the X I think it would have swayed everyone on the fence (like me).
Javelina
AG
Pman17 said:

Hoping other retailers will drop the price of the Series 2 to sell it off. I was hoping for a continuation with it and a $100 price drop. They're keeping the Series 1! Yuck!

Getting one for my gf
Same. I kind of pissed off by the move. The 2 was a huge improvement over the 1. Maybe the 3 without cellular will be a similar price. Can we buy a 3 without cellular?

My wife wants one for Christmas. I don't know if she'll want to go with cellular or not, but I was going to get her a 2 since it does everything she'd want or need.
ccaggie05
AG
I went in expecting to want the X and now I'm pretty sure I'll pass. The notch at the top of the screen looked awful, not sure why they couldn't just make it symmetrical. Plus, the lack of Touch ID isn't great. Overall it just seems somewhat rushed to me.

I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Plan, so I might go ahead and just get the 8 Plus just for the hell of it, but I'm not really all that excited about it because I'm perfectly happy with my 7 plus.
My Dad Earl
AG
I didn't get to watch, I've just been following updates. If my wife wants to get on my iPhone X (assuming I even buy it), how will they unlock the phone? Do they have a pass code just in case? I remember this also being an issue with Touch ID. Sometimes it just wouldn't work and I would have to use my pass code.

And I think because of the Face ID gaff during the demo, I'm going to hold off on the X for now. Maybe I'll just stick with the 8.
3rdGen2015
AG
Yeah, I think I'm going with the 8plus. I have the 7 right now and I want the better camera and wireless charging. Also on the upgrade program. My 12th payment month should be October, so hopefully inventory won't be as much of an issue by then.
Pman17
AG
It will have a pass code, we saw it in the video stream.
My Dad Earl
AG
Javelina
AG
The internet is saying the 256 8 Plus will be 1069.99 (based on the current 7 Plus price) and the 256 X will be $1,149.99.

Less than $100, I think I'll shoot for an X. I wonder how hard to get they are going to be, given all the supply chain rumors.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it usually drops right after one of these events.
3rdGen2015
AG
Javelina said:

The internet is saying the 256 8 Plus will be 1069.99 (based on the current 7 Plus price) and the 256 X will be $1,149.99.

Less than $100, I think I'll shoot for an X. I wonder how hard to get they are going to be, given all the supply chain rumors.
That's not right. The prices are already up on Apple's upgrade program page.

$1149 for the 256gb X
$949 for the 256gb 8Plus
$849 for the 256gb 8
My Dad Earl
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it usually drops right after one of these events.
I'm reading on Reddit that you are correct. Why is that? Are people just underwhelmed with the event every year?
AggieFrog
AG
Pman17 said:

tamusc said:

hatchback said:

I'll be preordering an 8+ on Friday. I'm so ready to ditch my 6 that's got a quickly fading battery.
Yeah, I think it's a no brainer for someone with a 6, but I'm not sure the 8 Plus is enough to ditch my 7 Plus.
Yea, I have the 1 yr Next program so I can just give AT&T my 7 for the 8 if I wanted to and still pay the same monthly. New portrait mode is cool but that's about it. Who wireless charges?
Wireless charging is great, especially with a charger like the TYLT that's also a phone stand. I had one at home and work with my Androids and was a feature I definitely missed when switching back to iPhone.
wee_ag
AG
This thing has a Bionic Chip? Yeah, that won't end badly at all.
evan_aggie
AG

Javelina
AG
It was an odd price to me too, but Best Buy and Walmart both have the price listed. Apple took their store pricing down earlier, I hadn't checked back.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dammit. I have an Android and wanted to switch so bad to the X.

So...for 1000 bucks I get a screen that's pretty much the same size as the 8 plus faceid that may or may not work, a display that has more pixels than before which weren't discernible to the human eye, and wireless charging? 64gb? ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS?! For what?

Pass. For a 10 year anniversary hyped phone it's meh....it seems really half baked.

You can't figure out how to put a finger scanner on the back of a ****ing phone? Not sure how many suckers they see buyng this but it must be a lot.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Dammit. I have an Android and wanted to switch so bad to the X.

So...for 1000 bucks I get a screen that's pretty much the same size as the 8 plus faceid that may or may not work, a display that has more pixels than before which weren't discernible to the human eye, and wireless charging? 64gb? ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS?! For what?

Pass. For a 10 year anniversary hyped phone it's meh....it seems really half baked.

You can't figure out how to put a finger scanner on the back of a ****ing phone? Not sure how many suckers they see buyng this but it must be a lot.
Pretty much said after every Apple event (especially iphone and ipad events).
AggieFrog
AG
iPhone X 256 GB is $1,149 - OUCH!
Houston Lee
AG
The face ID seems really useful over Touch ID. Especially if you have wet hands like when you get out of the shower or when swimming. Or when cooking.

Javelina
AG
TurkeyBaconLeg said:

The face ID seems really useful over Touch ID. Especially if you have wet hands like when you get out of the shower or when swimming. Or when cooking.

Or when removing nitrile gloves.
Aggietaco
AG
Javelina said:

TurkeyBaconLeg said:

Or when removing nitrile gloves.
Or after/during a workout, or after holding a hot baby, or after eating, or if it's been a while since washing your hands, or...

I have problem with touch ID all the time, especially in the summer months when it's 118 degrees.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Wonder what will happen with wireless charging and a case?
double aught
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

You can't figure out how to put a finger scanner on the back of a ****ing phone?
This is so much better functionally. I can't see why it's not standard.
AggieFrog
AG
Works fine with cases
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm not a fan of only having the options as 64GB or 256GB. I don't leave enough on my phone that I need the 256 but I've got enough that the 64GB is too small.
TexAgsAnon
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Wonder what will happen with wireless charging and a case?
If the case is plastic, it'll work just fine just like every other wireless charging phone in existence.
Houston Lee
AG
Differences between the iPhone X (ten) and the iPhone 8 Plus.

X is a smaller overall phone but has a larger display screen (5.8" diagonal vs 5.5").

Super Retina Display vs Retina display.

Face ID vs Touch ID.

Both have wireless charging.

Both splash, water and dust resistant.

X has better camera in the front.

X has longer lasting battery.

For AT&T service:

X with 256GB is $1,149 (or $56.16 per month over 24 months plus AppleCare+)

8 plus with 256GB is $949 (or $45.75 per month over 24 months plus AppleCare+)
AggieFrog
AG
8+ will have the better battery life.
WES2006AG
AG
Count me as someone who thought they wanted the X but have decided on the 8+. The X just doesn't seem to be worth the premium price.
caleblyn
My company will be happy to get me an X!
TexAgsAnon
Updated to iOS11 GM on my 7+. White space, white space EVERYWHERE.

Also had to enable "reduce motion" for the first time since iOS 9, can't stand all the zooming effects when returning to the homescreen now.
BrazosDog02
AG
double aught said:

BrazosDog02 said:

You can't figure out how to put a finger scanner on the back of a ****ing phone?
This is so much better functionally. I can't see why it's not standard.

This is exactly what I meant by Half Baked. For $1,000 phone, it should have both face ID and touch ID.
Guitarsoup
AG
Only Apple would drop USB-A and thunderbolt from their computers because USB-C is so much better, but refuse to put USB-C as the port on the new phone.
3rdGen2015
AG
Something that wasn't discussed during the keynote (that I heard at least), both 8's and the X are fast charge enabled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.