Apple iPhone Event 2017

29,936 Views | 440 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by WES2006AG
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

All I'm saying is Apple doesn't care about you.
That's true, they only care about the people that will overpay for there products that don't have all the functionality and conveniences of non-apple products.
Seems to be working pretty well for them.
dcaggie04
AG
rasher said:

dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

That's true, they only care about the people that will overpay for there products that don't have all the functionality and conveniences of non-apple products.
Well, there are a lot of dumb people in the world.
3rdGen2015
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

RangerRick9211 said:

GarlandAg2012 said:

How could you have an edge to edge screen with a home button? If you don't mind losing the home button whats wrong with the iPhone X?
Xiomi MiMix and Essential managed to figure it out.

This is stupid:

I agree. No idea why they didn't move TouchID to the back, where it belongs.

Also the Mi Mix has a chin with a camera in it which is bizarre. Not sure if that's better than a screen with a cut out at the top.
Fingerprint scanners on the back of phones look terrible, IMO. I guess Apple did too.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I don't think it looks any worse than a big camera bump. Have you used one before? It's so much more ergonomic than the bottom front IMO.
3rdGen2015
AG
No I haven't gotten the chance, I can see how that would be more comfortable though. I've gotten my grip adjusted to where it isn't uncomfortable for me to hit it on the iPhone though.
Phat32
AG
dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

Not going to argue with you there.

Posted from my iPhone though...
tamusc
AG
rasher said:

dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

dcaggie04 said:

rasher said:

Not going to argue with you there.

Posted from my iPhone though...

There's also quite a few people out there that care about security as well and iOS is head and shoulders above Android in that category along with device management from a corporate standpoint. Samsung is catching up, but they're still behind any iOS device running anything iOS 9 or later. The amount of janky stuff and restrictions my company has to put on an Android device is insane compared to an iOS device.
BrazosDog02
AG
For my *****ing, my iPhone always had the latest OS too. My Samsung waits months for the latest one. It's also loaded with bloatware that I spent hours disabling. The nice thing about iPhone is that they do watch everyone else fail and then use that as a means of making their technology pretty solid. The fingerprint scanner on Samsung came out before iPhone. It also doesn't work worth a ***** It sucks. Really sucks. My apple fingerprint scanner works every single time. Faceid may be another example. It's secure. It's 3d. It's fixed a lot of issues that others guinea pigged for apple.
AG
tamusc said:

There's also quite a few people out there that care about security as well and iOS is head and shoulders above Android

Youre putting too much faith in the app gatekeepers. There were some apps that made it into the app store created using a hacked version of Xcode that opened up all kinds of security holes.

Apple had a lot of catching up to do to stay relevant. A few years ago it was nice to have a phone that just work and not have to configure it to use 3rd party stuff because the oe programs sucked, but now the tables have turned and the integrated locked down apps are awful compared to 3rd party or android options (specifically navigation and the keyboard with its lack of arrows)
Ronnie Mund
Every Apple event brings out the Apple haters to the announcement threads. Lol.
degreedy
AG
I was so excited about this iphone event, but man I am super let down.

I have an iPhone 6+, and have been holding out the past two years for an upgrade that seems to make sense.

I'm not quite sure the X seems like an upgrade that makes sense. But does the 8 or 8+ make sense either?

I need some help deciding people, what is y'alls input? And before someone makes the android comment, I respect your opinion but wont go back to Android. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.
hatchback
AG
I've got an iPhone 6 and will be upgrading to an 8+. My battery life is suffering horrendously. The phone also regularly overheats. The iPhone 6 doesn't have the 3D Touch capabilities and my device is 2.5 years old. Regardless of what was announced, I was upgrading to at least a 7. I'll wait a couple of years for Apple to get the kinks figured out with the X until I jump to the new form factor.
Guitarsoup
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

For my *****ing, my iPhone always had the latest OS too. My Samsung waits months for the latest one. It's also loaded with bloatware that I spent hours disabling. The nice thing about iPhone is that they do watch everyone else fail and then use that as a means of making their technology pretty solid. The fingerprint scanner on Samsung came out before iPhone. It also doesn't work worth a ***** It sucks. Really sucks. My apple fingerprint scanner works every single time. Faceid may be another example. It's secure. It's 3d. It's fixed a lot of issues that others guinea pigged for apple.
My wife has a Sumsung and is generally pleased, but other than the battery issue with my Nexus, Google phones have been great. No bloatware, delete what you want, easy to skin and you always get the newest OS and even get offered Betas of the new OSes.

And I love the fingerprint scanner on the back.
AggieFrog
AG
After 4 years on Android (following 4 years with an iPhone 3G & 4), I'll be upgrading from the 7 to the X with 256GB. I use my phone enough to make having a larger screen with better battery life worth it. I'd also like the dual cameras for family photos with the kids without having the larger plus form factor.
G Martin 87
AG
NPH- said:

I have an iPhone 6+, and have been holding out the past two years for an upgrade that seems to make sense.

I'm not quite sure the X seems like an upgrade that makes sense. But does the 8 or 8+ make sense either?

I need some help deciding people, what is y'alls input? And before someone makes the android comment, I respect your opinion but wont go back to Android. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

I bought my 6+ right after it launched. The battery is starting to lose capacity, but everything else works fine. I'm keeping it for one more year. But if I was upgrading today, I'd probably go with the 8. IMO, that's the best combination of size, features, and cost.
tamusc
AG
robertf03 said:

tamusc said:

There's also quite a few people out there that care about security as well and iOS is head and shoulders above Android

Youre putting too much faith in the app gatekeepers. There were some apps that made it into the app store created using a hacked version of Xcode that opened up all kinds of security holes.

Apple had a lot of catching up to do to stay relevant. A few years ago it was nice to have a phone that just work and not have to configure it to use 3rd party stuff because the oe programs sucked, but now the tables have turned and the integrated locked down apps are awful compared to 3rd party or android options (specifically navigation and the keyboard with its lack of arrows)

My comments were based on multiple conversations with IT folks that work with MDM on a daily basis for Fortune 100 healthcare company that faces significant fines and penalties for security breaches. Heck, my local IT director tried to switch to a Samsung S8 and ended up going back to a 7 Plus after less than two weeks due to the restrictions that had to be in place that eliminated any of the benefits of Android you mention. I tried Android for almost two years and got tired of the just plain terrible experience I had to deal with in order to satisfy the security requirements. I've never once heard someone that actually works anywhere close to MDM on a regular basis praise Android or say it's better than iOS from that standpoint. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they must be pretty rare in the healthcare IT field.

I could use a company provided iOS device and a personal Android device, but I do not want to have to go back to carrying two phones almost all the time.

Honestly, the X addresses most of my wants for a new phone compared to my 7 Plus, but I'm not sold on FaceID.
Deputy Travis Junior
NPH- said:

I don't know what this even means? The 8 doesn't make sense? It has a better chip, GPU, and camera; is water and dust resistant (the 6 is neither); can handle a bunch of new augmented reality advancements; and supports wireless charging. I mean what sort of sense-making upgrades were you expecting? Because these are the sorts of incremental improvements you get with tech that's this well-established. The game changers are all in the rear view.

BTW I've always felt that wireless charging is a solution in search of a problem, but the other stuff is still cool and will make for a much better phone.
coastalAg
AG
I would upgrade from the 6+ to the 8 for the camera improvements alone.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
NPH- said:

BTW I've always felt that wireless charging is a solution in search of a problem, but the other stuff is still cool and will make for a much better phone.

Yes and no. I don't mind plugging in until the contacts get tarnished and I have trouble making the connection. Seems to happen to every charger cable after 6 months to a year to me.
CoppellAg93
AG
You can compare the different iPhone model specs here ...

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

[url=https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/][/url]
I compared my current 6S to the 8 and X - was initially thinking I'd go with an 8, but there are many improvements the X has over the 8 (screen size, battery life, better camera, etc.) that I think I've talked myself into getting an X. And it will only be about $10 more a month than an 8. Heck, I've had 2 phones (6 and 6S) go swimming, so I will upgrade as much for the water resistance as anything else.
Deputy Travis Junior
That's never happened to me and honestly I hadn't even heard of it. I now concede that wireless charging is a solution attached to a problem, though possibly a rare one.

I also think the jumbo charge mat is cool (don't have to bother plugging in 3-4 things + digging for the right cords), but I acknowledge that this is pretty deep into "first world problems" with this one. It's more of an "all else being equal, then yea sure I'd like to be able to set all my devices on a charge mat instead of looking for cables."
evan_aggie
AG
Quote:

And it will only be about $10 more a month than an 8

This isn't a swipe at you, but more of a realization of how the majority of folks seem to handle the costs of life these days. We break things up into monthly payments so we don't freak out about a $1000 phone, or a $300+ premium over $699 phone. We find ourselves leasing vehicles and just worrying about a monthly payment. 30% of American car owners lease a car.

Apple was brilliant in letting people pay $20+ a month to lease a phone and trade in each year never really owning what they are using.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
I've never liked the idea of having to touch the back of my phone to open it. If it's sitting on my desk or counter top and I get a notification it's nice to be able to unlock my phone without picking it up.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
evan_aggie said:

Quote:

This isn't a swipe at you, but more of a realization of how the majority of folks seem to handle the costs of life these days. We break things up into monthly payments so we don't freak out about a $1000 phone, or a $300+ premium over $699 phone. We find ourselves leasing vehicles and just worrying about a monthly payment. 30% of American car owners lease a car.

Apple was brilliant in letting people pay $20+ a month to lease a phone and trade in each year never really owning what they are using.
True, when someone asks how much you make you tell them your annual salary. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head exactly how much I make in a month. But when it comes to paying for big expenses let's put it in terms of 24 or 36 low monthly payments.
CoppellAg93
AG
evan_aggie said:

Quote:

I totally get what you're saying. $300 more is $300 more no matter how you slice it. I was just referring to the per month costs. It would obviously be a bigger deal if you were being charged interest on the monthly payments.

CoolaidWade
AG
NPH- said:

I have a iphone 6+ as well and decided it's not. I'm not paying for the X and the 8 just doesn't seem worth it. Especially since my phone is still in great shape.

Think I'll just dig in and wait next year and get a 8 for cheap(er).

I get there are significant upgrades but...... Nah.

I doubt that helps much.....
RangerRick9211
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

I've never liked the idea of having to touch the back of my phone to open it. If it's sitting on my desk or counter top and I get a notification it's nice to be able to unlock my phone without picking it up.

You've never used one then. Just like iOS, you can unlock with a pin or unlike iOS, a gesture pattern. I can unlock, answer text, change songs, whatever without ever picking my Mix up off the desk. Even better, a few of those I can do from the lock screen.
RangerRick9211
AG
tamusc said:

robertf03 said:

tamusc said:

My comments were based on multiple conversations with IT folks that work with MDM on a daily basis for Fortune 100 healthcare company that faces significant fines and penalties for security breaches. Heck, my local IT director tried to switch to a Samsung S8 and ended up going back to a 7 Plus after less than two weeks due to the restrictions that had to be in place that eliminated any of the benefits of Android you mention. I tried Android for almost two years and got tired of the just plain terrible experience I had to deal with in order to satisfy the security requirements. I've never once heard someone that actually works anywhere close to MDM on a regular basis praise Android or say it's better than iOS from that standpoint. I'm not saying they don't exist, but they must be pretty rare in the healthcare IT field.

I could use a company provided iOS device and a personal Android device, but I do not want to have to go back to carrying two phones almost all the time.

Honestly, the X addresses most of my wants for a new phone compared to my 7 Plus, but I'm not sold on FaceID.

Seriously, is your IT going to disable facial recognition? The Verge dude from their First Look YouTube video picked it up and pointed at the Apple employee that it was registered to for a demo of Apple Pay. Pretty easy to get in if you're nearby. Just imagine, all your wife needs is screen towards your mug to scroll your browser history.
tamusc
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

tamusc said:

robertf03 said:

tamusc said:

Seriously, is your IT going to disable facial recognition? The Verge dude from their First Look YouTube video picked it up and pointed at the Apple employee that it was registered to for a demo of Apple Pay. Pretty easy to get in if you're nearby. Just imagine, all your wife needs is screen towards your mug to scroll your browser history.
They already don't allow any form of facial recognition on the Android devices, including the Samsung Iris scanner. They also didn't approve TouchID for months after release. When I say didn't allow, I mean those functions were locked out by the policies the MDM software downloaded and installed if you wanted to have access to corporate resources (like email and contacts) on your device. I still can't use "Hey Siri" from the lock screen on my 7 Plus as that potentially gives access to information on your phone without it being unlocked.

I'm seriously wondering if they will actually approve the use of FaceID.

Going back to nothing but a passcode would be a huge downer, but not the end of the world. It would also eliminate a highlight feature (in Apple's eyes) of the X as far as I'm concerned.
BrazosDog02
AG
My company still doesn't allow fingerprint scanner on any mobile devices connected to the company resources. This seems stupid though...if the odds of a hack are as great as they are with a 4 digit code and as rare as they say with face I'd...why not use it? Seems stupid. IT people are funny.
tamusc
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

My company still doesn't allow fingerprint scanner on any mobile devices connected to the company resources. This seems stupid though...if the odds of a hack are as great as they are with a 4 digit code and as rare as they say with face I'd...why not use it? Seems stupid. IT people are funny.

They haven't allowed previous versions because they were fairly easy to spoof, even the Samsung Iris scanner.

FaceID actually does look to be pretty big jump compared to the other iterations thanks to things like actual 3D contour mapping.

IT people are funny because they just can't take things like security of a particular for granted based on marketing material presented during a keynote address, especially when there's hefty fines and penalties as in healthcare, if they're wrong. So, they take their time to validate claims made by vendors before allowing said systems to act as gatekeepers to their network and data.
khkman22
AG
Still using my 6, but I doubt I'll get the 8, although I won't completely rule it out. I'm on Cricket so I'm paying full price up front. Don't need 256GB and since I was expecting a 128GB for $749, it's $100 more than I was thinking that max price would be.

My other thought was to wait for the refurb 7 to come out and then pick up the 128GB version of that. That should be $569 max I would think.

I don't know that wireless charging and a new processor make the 8 worth almost $300 more than what the refurb 7 would be.
G Martin 87
AG
The fines, penalties, and jury awards for healthcare data breaches easily run into multimillions of dollars. Under HIPAA, employees can be individually held responsible for breaches. Nobody wants to risk that. Most of the tech that we used to take for granted is locked down and disallowed now. No USB drives, no access to Google drive, emails encrypted automatically for even having the word "patient" in them, etc etc. Our IT department asks everyone to avoid iOS updates until they are thoroughly tested and new device policies can be pushed out, even for BYOD employees like me. Any leniency could cost the company millions.
AG
aerospace and banking is the same way. I went the 2 phones route because the security ware on the iphone 6 was such a pain in the ass
BeastmodeAg
AG
My biggest concern is the supply of iPhone X's that will be intially available.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.