AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,050 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
Rex Racer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
7-zip is the best. You can highlight all of the zip files, right-click, and unzip.

You might be able to do that with the built-in zip utility, as well. Try it.
Pman17
AG
If you have a Synology NAS, you can install CloudSync and create a task to download Google Drive folders to your NAS. I was able to migrate my entire Movie & TV Show collection. Currently downloading all of my Google Photos to my NAS, then I'll transfer to an external hard drive and then go through and then add to my 2TB of iCloud Photos storage. This beats Google Takeout.
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
I just installed Google drive for desktop, pointed at an external hard drive, and let it sync. https://www.google.com/drive/download/
Tabasco
AG
tomtomdrumdrum said:

I just installed Google drive for desktop, pointed at an external hard drive, and let it sync. https://www.google.com/drive/download/
This might be the answer. Can you provide a step-by-step, and does it zip the files, or a straight copy to external. I have a 250G usb flashdrive, I assume that would be the same process.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Tabasco said:

tomtomdrumdrum said:

This might be the answer. Can you provide a step-by-step, and does it zip the files, or a straight copy to external. I have a 250G usb flashdrive, I assume that would be the same process.
This solution will work for files saved on Google Drive - you can just drag/drop from the Drive folder structure over to your external drive...but it's not a solution for Google Photos since those aren't accessible from Google Drive.
AgsMyDude
AG
Ever get it to finish?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

double aught said:

kyledr04 said:

So does the transfer process from aggienetwork to another Gmail move the drive and photos? Are photos separate or naturally part of the drive? It wasn't clear when I started it. I already bought more space on my main gmail.

Also, for anyone with an Aggie spouse that also got the Google drive space that you could share with family. How move their photos? Did you move it to your gmail or theirs?
This is the issue I'm running into. It's unclear (to me at least) how to move photos from my aggienetwork Google Photos app my Google Photos app linked to my main google/gmail account.
I was able to move, 100% done from Aggie Network.

Not that big of a pain in the ass as originally thought.

Personally, now have a Google One account; Google One was chosen was wife knew how to use Google Photos and was comfortable with it. There are many other routes to go.

I am using OneDrive via a Microsoft Family account for Files and E-Mail.

Was able to move Google Photos over, then discovered a method to move the albums.
-------------

How to port Google Photos from One Google Account to Another (TxAggieBand85 method)

Step 1:
Use Partner Sharing to copy all photos from one account to another. (AggieNetwork -> personal account)
Settings -> Partner Sharing
(edit) Important: Make sure photos are saved with partner sharing. On your target account, set this up.
Easy Peasy

Step 2:
Copy Albums
Share an Album to New Account
Select Shared Album and select all photos and create same album in new account
Bit of a pain in the ass, but it works.

Done!

Anyone have any luck "selecting all" photos in the Aggie Network account to add to a "migration" folder of sorts to then share and copy to/on the new account? I'm trying this on a Mac if it matters but it wont let me select all unless I hold shift and mindlessly scroll down for forever.
Tabasco
AG
Just to update... I downloaded that google drive for desktop app. Google Drive on cloud says I have 215G in pics (all aggienetwork google drive, not google photos). When I look at Google Drive desktop, it says 180G, not sure what is up with the disparity. Regardless, for my first step, I just initiated a drag and drop to my desktop (this is what I was wanting... simple drag and drop, with the same file structure etc, so will be interesting how that works). For time remaining (its only been 10 min or so, it says "more than one day." After that, I am going to save it to a 250G flashdrive for redundency until i figure out why google photos won't let me give them money for more than 100G... I guess I could split them between two accounts, figure it out with India tech support, or go with another cloud photo storage service.
Tabasco
AG
Update #2

Just looked and the google drive for PC app suggestion worked like a charm and is complete (although 187G cloud drive saying 215G). Still, at first glance, looks like it is all there with same file structure. So easy and just what I was looking for… drag, drop, forget. 25 years of digital pics. I need to buy the guy that suggested that a beer.

I tried a different method (highlight/select>download 28 folders at a time to flash drive) that really didn't work (laborious, all zip files with a couple of random support files, no file structure replicated, not sure it even worked bc PITA to unzip a huge # of files, etc).
Malachi Constant
AG
I'm still worried my google photos are going to disappear when aggienetwork goes caput.

It's 147 2GB .zip files for all my stuff. Tons of years of professional photos, kid photos, videos, etc.

The worst part is that google makes you click on each .zip to download individually! WTF?
bco2003
AG
Malachi Constant said:

I'm still worried my google photos are going to disappear when aggienetwork goes caput.

It's 147 2GB .zip files for all my stuff. Tons of years of professional photos, kid photos, videos, etc.

The worst part is that google makes you click on each .zip to download individually! WTF?
You know there's a 50 Gb file download option right?
AgsMyDude
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Try these steps outlined about the photos transfer to be safe

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2615075/replies/62015803
Malachi Constant
AG
bco2003 said:

Malachi Constant said:

You know there's a 50 Gb file download option right?
Thank you for this!

(For others, the default size is 2GB, but you can click the drop down and choose 50GB)
Fenrir
For the partner sharing, does it actually save a copy to the new target account? Want to confirm what happens when photos/videos start being deleted on the aggienetwork account.
double aught
AG
This is what has me nervous. I can't tell for sure, but I feel like my pictures aren't taking up nearly as much space in my non aggienetwork account.
Fenrir
I did a test run and deleted a photo that really doesn't matter much...so far it's still on the target account. Probably just need to make sure that the target account is saving "all photos" in the settings.
Malachi Constant
AG
I share all of these concerns, hence the reason I'm happy to do my own backup of Google Photos. The 50GB option makes it a lot easier...
AgsMyDude
AG
Fenrir said:

For the partner sharing, does it actually save a copy to the new target account? Want to confirm what happens when photos/videos start being deleted on the aggienetwork account.

You HAVE to tell it to save ALL photos to your account being shared from the other. Without that it will be lost.

Simply sharing without saving is not sufficient.
AgsMyDude
AG
I tried the takeout transfer today and got the following email a couple hours later

"Your content has arrived!
The Google content transfer you started on May 24, 2022 is done."

I have 300 GB and was very skeptical. A ton of stuff is missing but no errors
SlackerAg
AG
FYI,

Here's a "trick" to store files as YouTube videos to have unlimited disk space:

https://github.com/dzhang314/YouTubeDrive

cupcakesprinkles
AG
I signed up for idrive because they have a ridiculous discount of only like $8 for the year and then it goes up to the normal yearly rate. That will give me extra time to procrastinate until this time next year to see if I want to store my files another way.
kyledr04
AG
I did the transfer between aggienet and my regular Gmail last week and I don't think it moved the photos. The size of the storage used is too low.
Rex Racer
AG
cupcakesprinkles said:

I signed up for idrive because they have a ridiculous discount of only like $8 for the year and then it goes up to the normal yearly rate. That will give me extra time to procrastinate until this time next year to see if I want to store my files another way.
That's what I did.
AgsMyDude
AG
k20dub said:

Just got this email from the Association:

Quote:

We're writing again with an alert and updates regarding your Google-based @AggieNetwork.com email account.

It's imperative that you move or back up any files in your Google Drive before Aug. 1, 2022.

On June 1, 2022, adding new files to Google Drive will be disabled for @AggieNetwork.com accounts. You will still be able to access and download what is there until Aug. 1.

This is because of storage limits that Google will impose on our Workspace for Education account, causing us to cap all @AggieNetwork.com accounts at 10 gigabytes of total storage beginning June 1.

For reference, you can find copies of all the correspondence we have sent about these changes at tx.ag/StorageLimitUpdates, going back to July 2021.

As discussed in those updates, each user's 10 gigabytes of storage will be limited to Gmail and Google Photos. Beginning Aug. 1, Google Drive will be fully disabled for all accounts, and files left in your Google Drive may become unrecoverable at that point.

Helpful links:

We believe these steps will enable our Aggie-branded email program to be sustainable for some time.

However, please understand that future circumstances or decisions made by Google could require the further reduction of storage space or removal of Google Photos from @AggieNetwork.com accounts down the road.

Additional updates will be sent out as more information becomes available.

Out of curiosity, where did you get this? I checked all my email accounts and don't see anything.
k20dub
AG
I got it on May 6th to my Aggie Network email.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Same here. But I disconnected the Aggienet account from my personal account and the photos are still there.

Maybe the storage meter takes a while to update?
eric76
AG
For what it's worth, as of May 25, Protonmail really changed their structure.

They eliminated the visionary accounts but those who had them as of May 24, the accounts will remain. The ProtonDrive for visionary account holders is now 3 TB. It looks like I waited too long -- I had been seriously considering switching to a visionary account. On my account, I now have 560 GB of storage space, so that's not too bad.
AgsMyDude
AG
Huh I didn't get it
MW03
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
Bumping again as this is tomorrow and I realize now that I need to do something at the last minute, like always.
Tabasco
AG
MW03 said:

The Dog Lord said:

Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
Bumping again as this is tomorrow and I realize now that I need to do something at the last minute, like always.
I think the June 1 deadline is just not allowing any additions, and the deadline-deadline is August.
Tabasco
AG
Also, I did what tomtomdrumdrum suggested and it was extremely easy. I just dragged and dropped the entire (250G) google drive to my laptop harddrive. Will add it to a flashdrive and/or cloud service at some point, but just wanted to make sure I had files copied somewhere.
Malachi Constant
AG
Thanks for the reminder on this. I have been following this thread for the last few months, and have updated my personal account with enough storage to cover all the photos.

I've already moved the Google Drive stuff, and for Google Photos, I've turned on sharing and "save photos to my account" between my aggienetwork.com and my personal gmail.com. It appears to be working, but it doesn't look like it's counting toward my total storage space.

I will not be surprised if all my photos disappear tomorrow. Because of that, I have a full google photos offline backup on my external hard drive...
MW03
AG
Tabasco said:

MW03 said:

The Dog Lord said:

I think the June 1 deadline is just not allowing any additions, and the deadline-deadline is August.

Oh good. Cause I'm looking at exporting like 175GB via takeout and methinks this won't go quickly
Tabasco
AG
MW03 said:

Tabasco said:

MW03 said:

The Dog Lord said:

Oh good. Cause I'm looking at exporting like 175GB via takeout and methinks this won't go quickly

it went faster than I though (SSD, so might be faster), don't really remember. Maybe half a day? I started it the night before, and when I went to check on it at 7am it was done. Drag/drop. Everything was the same file structure too. I owe tomtomdrumdrum a beer.
Tabasco
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

I've been wary of the offering from the University and Google Drive. Have been using The Aggie Network offering, but impossible to trust A&M after the 12th Man Foundation taking away my lifetime seats when the new stadium was built.

Just bought a new NAS for home. Really like it, packaged Linux solution at a good price point and added a large drive. One of the features is to backup cloud drives, which now I have all my Aggie Google stuff in a separate copy. Now ready for the day when the University pulls the plug.

For anyone interested, I got this model.

Synology DS120j 1 bay NAS DiskStation (Diskless), 512MB DDR3L

The File Stream feature is awesome, really works well.
I just read through the first few posters to wonder who was the first to doubt the University and have the rug pulled out from under us. Reb was close, but was more about privacy concerns. This dude was on it after being screwed out of lifetime seats. Damn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.