AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,065 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
bco2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
double aught said:

Wonder if it will effect the aggienetwork accounts.
Looks like it potentially could be affected.
Quote:

If your account is provided through your work, school, family, or other group, you may be affected depending on your plan. Find out how your storage works by talking to the manager of your account.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/10100180?p=storagepolicy&visit_id=637408373950606221-3779385219&rd=1
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
We are still waiting for more information from Google, but based on the best information we have right now, it appears that this change in Google policy (scheduled to take effect in July 2022) will indeed affect the drive space for the @AggieNetwork.com Google accounts.

We are currently at about 1.6 petabytes; Google is talking about a limit of just 100 terabytes. We meet the criteria to qualify for unspecified "additional storage," the details of which Google promises by the end of 2021. But it seems pretty unlikely that the "additional storage" is going to be 16 times what they are offering regular Workspace for Education accounts.

Will keep you apprised as the situation becomes more clear.

-Scot Walker '90,
Assistant Vice President
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
tfunk02
AG
Thanks for the update! Guess I may lose some of my 4K movie archive in 2022. That will free up about a Petabyte of space (actually 21TB right now).
bco2003
AG
Argh....Given Google's change of no more unlimited photo storage, I'm just about finished copying all of my photos from my standard Google account to my Aggienetwork account. Sad to see this may be going away. Was nice while it lasted....
The Fife
I think I'm only at 30GB thanks to upload speed sucking, but I guess that's going away.

Between this, Photobucket doing what they did a few years back, and Google photo storage changes the only thing I really trust in the long run are the old two backups in separate locations you have some amount of control over.
Rex Racer
AG
I'm at 306 GB. Looks like I'll be investing in a couple of external drives like in the old days.
Pman17
AG
Dang, glad I have a NAS. Guess it's time to look into building a server.
Fenrir
Pman17 said:

Dang, glad I have a NAS. Guess it's time to look into building a server.

What NAS do you have? Been looking at one for a bit for Plex usage rather than relying on a laptop to store everything.
Pman17
AG
I have an old WD NAS. Would like to get something more powerful.
The Dirty Sock
RIP OP
eric76
AG
OP mentioned something about five disposable addresses. How does that work?
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
One primary address can have up to 4 aliases.

Start at tx.ag/Email.

Once you are set up, create aliases at tx.ag/MyEmail.

-scot
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
AgsMyDude
AG
Rex Racer said:

I'm at 306 GB. Looks like I'll be investing in a couple of external drives like in the old days.

Yeah I'm at 256 here. Been spamming this with photos of the kids for family, etc. This sucks, I'll have to go through and see where I can trim.

How low will these accounts likely go down to for free storage? Standard 15 GB?

Jabin
Thinking of getting an NAS. One question, though. Wouldn't locating it at one's home retain the risk of data loss due to fire, burglary, etc.? That is, a fire that destroyed one's laptop/desktop would also likely destroy the NAS. How do you guys address that risk for storing home-based data?
Cepe
AG
I've lost the plot here - they are eliminating the unlimited storage?

I think I have about 350 GB on there. . . .
jbryan10
AG
I'm at 1.35 TB, mostly blu-rays. This was the back-up for my NAS too, but maybe I'll finally upgrade it with this in mind and get something that can run Plex.
eric76
AG
Aggie Network said:

One primary address can have up to 4 aliases.

Start at tx.ag/Email.

Once you are set up, create aliases at tx.ag/MyEmail.

-scot

Thanks. I'll look into it.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Cepe said:

I don't know. I'm lost. I have no information other than what's on This thread. Would've been nice if someone somewhere would send some kind of Info rather than me having to find It on the freakin message board.
bco2003
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer said:

Cepe said:

I don't know. I'm lost. I have no information other than what's on This thread. Would've been nice if someone somewhere would send some kind of Info rather than me having to find It on the freakin message board.
Nothing is confirmed yet, as Scot from the Association posted above. But it seems likely that the unlimited storage may be going away July 2022.

Quote:

We are still waiting for more information from Google, but based on the best information we have right now, it appears that this change in Google policy (scheduled to take effect in July 2022) will indeed affect the drive space for the @AggieNetwork.com Google accounts.

We are currently at about 1.6 petabytes; Google is talking about a limit of just 100 terabytes. We meet the criteria to qualify for unspecified "additional storage," the details of which Google promises by the end of 2021. But it seems pretty unlikely that the "additional storage" is going to be 16 times what they are offering regular Workspace for Education accounts.

Will keep you apprised as the situation becomes more clear.

-Scot Walker '90,
Assistant Vice President
CDub06
AG
Email tonight. Storage might be reduced to "as little as 1 gigabyte"
Quote:

Howdy, Ags!

We are contacting you about upcoming changes to Google's storage policy, which will affect users of @AggieNetwork.com email accounts. These changes, which will take effect by July 2022, will place tight new restrictions on the amount of file storage available to your account.

Currently, through the Google Workspace for Education program, Google provides every @AggieNetwork.com email account with unlimited storage for Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos. However, under the new policy, the tens of thousands of @AggieNetwork.com email users will share a finite amount of "pooled storage" space. Regrettably, as we wait for further details from Google, we cannot yet accurately determine your account's future storage allocation. However, based on the limited information we have now, it could be as little as 1 gigabyte.

To prepare for the implementation of Google's new policy, we strongly encourage you to review your current storage usage and delete any unnecessary files in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos.

To confirm how much storage you're using, go to https://drive.google.com/settings/storage.
To review and delete large or unnecessary files in Drive, go to https://drive.google.com/drive/quota.
To review and delete large or unnecessary files in shared drives, go to https://drive.google.com/drive/shared-drives.
Consider deleting Drive content that you may have copied to a shared drive. If a file resides in 2 locations, it may be consuming twice the storage space.
To search for and delete unnecessary or large emails, go to Manage files in your Google Drive storage and follow the instructions for Gmail.

If you rely on your @AggieNetwork.com storage for many important files, you must find an alternative storage solution. Although your @AggieNetwork.com account will continue enjoying unlimited storage for now, any storage over the limit could be subject to deletion once Google implements these changes.

As we receive more information from Google about the change to storage limits, we will update you via email. We will also share information on our various social media channels and at tx.ag/StorageLimitUpdates. We recognize that Google's decision to make this change will greatly inconvenience some of our users. We hope that by making you aware a year before the change takes effect that we are mitigating its impact on you.

If you have any questions concerning your @AggieNetwork.com email account, you can reach us by email at Web@AggieNetwork.com.

Please note that this notification only applies to accounts provided through the @AggieNetwork.com email service, which is powered by the Google Workspace for Education program. If you have a Google account provided directly by Google or via another service provider, you should check with them to see whether that storage policy is changing.

Thanks and gig 'em!
kyledr04
AG
Terrible but predictable. Few good things last
Al Bula
AG
Pretty sure I had posted some comments about being wary of this and Google drive being crap in the past. Scanned this thread twice and didn't see my previous contributions. Either i dreamed it or they got deleted. In any event it doesn't matter. Glad i didn't put my eggs in this basket.
bco2003
AG
Ocean Of Funk said:

Pretty sure I had posted some comments about being wary of this and Google drive being crap in the past. Scanned this thread twice and didn't see my previous contributions. Either i dreamed it or they got deleted. In any event it doesn't matter. Glad i didn't put my eggs in this basket.

7 years of unlimited storage that we've had ain't bad.
aTm2004
AG
Considering a basic gmail account gets you 15 gigs, I doubt it'll be 1 gig.
The Fife
kyledr04 said:

Terrible but predictable. Few good things last
Clouds definitely don't. The longest running one I've had has been Dropbox. .mac / mobileme / icloud before that but over the years the original stuff I had on there is gone.
ktownag08
AG
Any recommendations on top storage programs then? I'm willing to pay for one too that's secure, and my stuff isn't mined for data.

I have mostly photos, but other docs too I'd store there.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
This irritates me. I know there was no way for this to last with unlimited storage and all of the iPhones uploading native resolution photos but still, to move goalposts is pretty poor form. I pretty much require cloud storage and remote access to everything.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Got an email today they're capping account at 10gigs starting June 1 2022
aTm2004
AG
10 gig for email and photos. They're doing away with drive.
Cepe
AG
Recommendations for a good cloud drive? I think I'm willing to pay at this point. . .
traxter
Crazy that it's only 10 gigs. I recently downsized some of my video and content on there and I'm still at 98gigs.

Right now I'm debating getting a durable external solid state drive vs paying for a cloud storage. One year of google's 200gb plan would cost roughly 36 bucks. Or I could get a 1TB solid state for about 100 bucks and then just use my regular google storage for cloud purposes (have about 8GB free on it).

Perhaps in a couple years cloud storage will be even cheaper and the association will get us back to at least a TB or something.
Cepe
AG
I agree on the SSD's - they are so cheap and fast.

But I also like that I can get to my files whenever and not have to have my drive with me. . .

Probably a good encrypted service would be nice as well. . .
Vade281
AG
traxter said:

Crazy that it's only 10 gigs. I recently downsized some of my video and content on there and I'm still at 98gigs.

Right now I'm debating getting a durable external solid state drive vs paying for a cloud storage. One year of google's 200gb plan would cost roughly 36 bucks. Or I could get a 1TB solid state for about 100 bucks and then just use my regular google storage for cloud purposes (have about 8GB free on it).

Perhaps in a couple years cloud storage will be even cheaper and the association will get us back to at least a TB or something.
Even a normal gmail account gives you 15 GB. What load of crock. I have 400 gigs currently stored right now that I trimmed down from a TB a month ago. Frustrating.
traxter
Cepe said:

I agree on the SSD's - they are so cheap and fast.

But I also like that I can get to my files whenever and not have to have my drive with me. . .

Probably a good encrypted service would be nice as well. . .
Just a thought, but you could also do an SSD attached to a cheap computer and set up as web server so you can access anywhere. Not near as convenient, function, or safe as a real cloud storage, but an option if remote access is really necessary.
aTm2004
AG
Cepe said:

Recommendations for a good cloud drive? I think I'm willing to pay at this point. . .
Are you in the Apple ecosystem and do you have Spotify? If so, take a look at Apple One. If you have a family, you can get Apple Music, TV+, arcade, and 200gigs of iCloud storage for $20/mo. Get the Apple card and you get 3% back each month. That's probably what I'm going with for stuff I want instant access to in addition to an external drive.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.