AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,059 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
Tabasco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie Network said:

Once you are logged in, just go to tx.ag/email.
Thnks fr th Mmrs

Gary79Ag
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
Please provide details on how to get and pay for your Google storage for $24/month. I'm an old and think this is the route I need to take. TIA
aka The Lavaca County Legend
ArcticAg98
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Thanks for the reminder on this. I have been following this thread for the last few months, and have updated my personal account with enough storage to cover all the photos.

I've already moved the Google Drive stuff, and for Google Photos, I've turned on sharing and "save photos to my account" between my aggienetwork.com and my personal gmail.com. It appears to be working, but it doesn't look like it's counting toward my total storage space.

I will not be surprised if all my photos disappear tomorrow. Because of that, I have a full google photos offline backup on my external hard drive...

I went through the same process for Google photos via sharing & saving photos to the new account. It's not counting towards the storage in my new account either, I have 200+ GB of photos/videos. I have the same concern that they will disappear in August.

What's the "easiest" way to backup Google photos to an external drive?
bco2003
AG
bco2003
AG
Mentioned multiple times above, but Google Takeout

https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout?pli=1
AgsMyDude
AG
I never could get takeout to send everything but did download it.

The file structure was awful though for my instance.
MW03
AG
Gary79Ag said:

The Dog Lord said:

Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
Please provide details on how to get and pay for your Google storage for $24/month. I'm an old and think this is the route I need to take. TIA
I used one.google.com to sign up for 2TB for $100 a year. I figure I could use the year to decide what I want to do next.
AgsMyDude
AG
So we're all 100% confident the partner sharing and then saving is completely safe?

I have 5 years of photos of my kids from birth to now I really cannot lose.

https://support.google.com/photos/answer/7378858?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid#zippy=%2Csave-your-partners-photos

Quote:

Save your partner's photos
If you save your partner's photos, they'll appear in your Google Photos account, search results and can be used for personalized creations.
Any photos you save from partner sharing won't take up storage, unless your partner stops sharing their photos with you, or deletes the original copy.
On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Photos app
Tap your account profile photo or initial Photos settings Partner sharing.
Tap Save to your photos to change settings.
All photos: Any photo in the shared library will be saved.
Photos of specific people: Select from your face groups. When Google Photos recognizes any of those face groups from your partner's photos, it'll save the photos automatically to your Google Photos account.
Tap Done.
If you didn't save a photo from your partner's shared photos, and your partner deletes it from their Photos account, it will also be deleted from partner sharing.

bco2003
AG
No, I would not say they are safe. I'd suggest downloading them through Takeout to make sure you have a local backup.

EDIT: How did you save them on the new account?
ArcticAg98
AG
I stopped sharing my photos in from my aggienetwork account a few days ago. I can still view all of the photos in my new gmail account but they aren't taking up any storage space. I'm still worried about what's going to happen in August as well. Planning to backup to a hard drive to be on the safe side.
AgsMyDude
AG
Yeah I had them all downloaded from takeout as a backup but the file structure it used is absolutely terrible.

I setup partner sharing from my Aggie network to Google one
Set my Google one to save ALL photos.

I think they should be good but would suck to go through the takeout structure to move things all back together.
AgsMyDude
AG
Hmm did you save them all? Do you have a pixel?

My Google one is showing them now taking up space but it did tell me a lot of mine weren't because my pixel 5 give free space on the storage saver mode.
ArcticAg98
AG
Yes, I followed the instructions & saved them all to my new account. I don't have a pixel phone. I looked at the details on a random sampling of the pictures & they show to be full sized files xx MB, it didn't just save a yy kb thumbnail of each photo. Really bizarre…
jamesf
AG
I did the transfer on Google Photos using the instructions in the thread. However the storage space used did not change to reflect all of the new photos. Has anyone run into this?

Also, when you do the transfer, does all the facial recognition sorting with names go away? I spent quite a bit of time curating that, and it would be a bummer to have to redo all of it.
Malachi Constant
AG
jamesf said:

Also, when you do the transfer, does all the facial recognition sorting with names go away? I spent quite a bit of time curating that, and it would be a bummer to have to redo all of it.

I didn't think of this. Just another example of Google/Association making this more difficult than it needed to be. I hope the "highlights from 'Sally'" type things keep working.

The more I think about this the angrier I get. It would take a Google software dev less than a day to write code that automatically gave us the option of migrating our aggienetwork.com stuff over to another paid account. The data all lives in a google data center. We're literally talking about a transaction table in whatever database google uses for drive and photos. Smh.
aggietony2010
AG
jamesf said:

I did the transfer on Google Photos using the instructions in the thread. However the storage space used did not change to reflect all of the new photos. Has anyone run into this?

That's what mine did. I have no idea if they're actually backed up. I saved all mine locally using Takeout just in case.
Comeby!
AG
Been moving mine over to Dropbox using Google Drive and the Dropbox app on my computer. So far so good.

Here's a question: How can I better manage my documents? There used to be a program called DupFinder that would find duplicates and allow you to pick the file path you want to keep. I have files and family pics/videos scattered everywhere: Google Drive, Dropbox, External HDD, Amazon photos, My laptop.

I'd like a program that can check across all locations, eliminate the duplicates and sync across 1 or more devices (Dropbox/Amazon Photos/External HDD).

Since the file sizes are getting up there (Still likely under 4TB total between all the areas), I'd like to set this up before they get too big and moving data is cumbersome and caused my ISP to go up in rate or limit me.

Thoughts?
bco2003
AG
Sorry, not much to add, but that program still seems to be around?

https://download.cnet.com/DupFinder/3000-2248_4-77416085.html

At least for cloud files which sync to a single computer, you still can leverage it on that machine right? Comparing files between cloud accounts which are synced there.
StringerBell
AG
in the process of getting everything moved over and its all gonna be fine but lmao what a pain in the ass this is.

google drive just added something to where you can make another google drive account the owner of content, which would make this easy as anything---but regular google drive accounts are in the aggienetwork organization so it doesn't work.

absolutely appreciate the years of storage but man i hate moving
Maximus_Meridius
AG
aggietony2010 said:

jamesf said:

That's what mine did. I have no idea if they're actually backed up. I saved all mine locally using Takeout just in case.
Did you do takeout from the Aggienetwork account or from your personal? I did it from my personal account which still does not reflect the proper storage amount, but all the files were accounted for (the same amount as in my Aggienetwork account).

I broke the partner sharing link over a week ago. Everything is still there, but the storage indicator is still wrong. My guess is that it won't fix itself until after the stuff on my AggieNetwork account gets deleted.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Quote:

This dude was on it after being screwed out of lifetime seats. Damn.

I really hate being right; and I rarely get credit for it later. Thanks and good luck.
Pro Sandy
AG
Charpie
AG
Yes. As of the beginning of the month you can't add files to it
zag213004
AG
jamesf said:

I did the transfer too from Aggie acct to personal acct and it transferred less than 5% of photos. I have 500+ GB of photos that need to move over. Moving only 29gb isn't cutting it
AgsMyDude
AG
zwhag2010 said:

jamesf said:

I did the transfer too from Aggie acct to personal acct and it transferred less than 5% of photos. I have 500+ GB of photos that need to move over. Moving only 29gb isn't cutting it

That's exactly what happened to me so I'm moving stuff manually.
Saxsoon
AG
Such bull***** I am so invested in everything being aggienetwork. Need to move off of it to a new account
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
StringerBell
AG
Yeah I ended up having to do it all by hand. The Google transfer tool didn't work all the well for me
Koko Chingo
AG
I had to move almost 7TB. Here is what I did that worked well:

I purchased an 8TB, Western Digital Elements external hard drive. It's the kind that is powered by a power supply, not USB powered. I don't think brand matters, I got it on sale for $149.

I then used an old laptop and downloaded the Google Drive Desktop App. I chose the option to sync the entire Google Drive. I chose the external hard drive as the sync destination.

I took the laptop to work thinking it would download faster because we have really fast internet. The cheaper dive was the choke point.

I started sync on a Wednesday afternoon and just left my laptop and drive there. It was finished Monday morning. It probably finished over the weekend; I wasn't there to check on it.

That was a slow but really seamless way to get all the files. With the sync, if there is an interruption, or you just want to power off or stop the sync; it will pick right back up where you left off.

I transferred everything to a NAS and use a cloud service to back it up.

zag213004
AG
Koko Chingo said:

I purchased an 8TB, Western Digital Elements external hard drive. It's the kind that is powered by a power supply, not USB powered. I don't think brand matters, I got it on sale for $149.

I then used an old laptop and downloaded the Google Drive Desktop App. I chose the option to sync the entire Google Drive. I chose the external hard drive as the sync destination.

I took the laptop to work thinking it would download faster because we have really fast internet. The cheaper dive was the choke point.

I started sync on a Wednesday afternoon and just left my laptop and drive there. It was finished Monday morning. It probably finished over the weekend; I wasn't there to check on it.

That was a slow but really seamless way to get all the files. With the sync, if there is an interruption, or you just want to power off or stop the sync; it will pick right back up where you left off.

I was informed Google drive is separate from Google photos. So syncing Google drive sync won't work for me? Is there a Google photos desktop app?
bco2003
AG
zwhag2010 said:

Koko Chingo said:

I was informed Google drive is separate from Google photos. So syncing Google drive sync won't work for me? Is there a Google photos desktop app?
The desktop app used to be Picasa, but that has long been deprecated.

The only way I'm aware of to download all photos is album by album at http://photos.google.com. Google Takeout alternatively gives you the option to download all or multiple selected albums in one shot.
Malachi Constant
AG
bco2003 said:

The desktop app used to be Picasa, but that has long been deprecated.

The only way I'm aware of to download all photos is album by album at http://photos.google.com. Google Takeout alternatively gives you the option to download all or multiple selected albums in one shot.
Make sure you select the 50GB output option!

Takeout splits your entire Google Photos portfolio into a number of .zip files for download. My library is about 200GB. At first, I didn't realize I could select the size of the file, so I ended up with ~100 2GB .zip files. It was a PITA because you have to click on each file individually to download.

50GB .zip files made it much easier.
AgsMyDude
AG
Finally finished my migration. Turns out the google drive app lets you sync 2 accounts on the same computer which made things WAY easier. My steps.

• Download Google Drive
  • Login to your Aggie Network account and sync.
  • Go to Preferences -> Google Drive -> Change configuration to Mirror (default is stream)
  • Do the same for your personal google drive account. (or stop here if you don't want to sync back to google)
  • Wait until everything has finished syncing
  • Copy everything from the local storage of your Aggie Network files to the personal file storage
  • Wait until the sync has complete on your personal folder

Then everything should be available on your personal google drive account.
cr0wbar
AG
Pardon the bump - anyone have any luck deleting their account? I can't seem to get it done
Pman17
AG
cr0wbar said:

Pardon the bump - anyone have any luck deleting their account? I can't seem to get it done
No, I'm trying to figure out how to delete photos by year.

For anyone going from Google Photos to iCloud Photos, this tool fixes the stupid metadata separation in google takeout. It's $25 but worth it.

https://metadatafixer.com/

I should be done with my photos migration this week so I can delete. Still gonna keep the email.
Iowaggie
AG
cr0wbar said:

I have not been able to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.