AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,058 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
BEaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What file would ever be 5 terabytes?
Bookmarked to laugh at you 20 years when we have Exabytes of storage, the size of our fingernails and our 10K Holographic video files are 10TB.
Sentinel
AG

Link: https://support.google.com/work/answer/6056650?hl=en
chipotle
quote:
Holographic video files are 10TB

GreenRay disks
Ganondorf
AG
Is this only for people who donated to the association?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Well obviously I foresee that we would get there eventually, I meant at this point in time.
Sentinel
AG
If you have an account on AggieNetwork.com, then you can claim your email account.
reb,
AG
quote:
Is this only for people who donated to the association?
Not at all. You don't even need to have graduated. This is open to anyone that has ever been a student at A&M.
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:
What file would ever be 5 terabytes?
Bookmarked to laugh at you 20 years when we have Exabytes of storage, the size of our fingernails and our 10K Holographic video files are 10TB.
Precisely. "Why would I ever need that much storage/bandwidth/speed/resolution" is such a dated viewpoint that I thought it would have been dispensed with long ago. "No one needs more than 640K of memory"

Fact: Given a quantitative technological capacity for any value X, use cases to fully utilize X will be found.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Again, obviously I foresee that we would get there eventually, I meant at this point in time. I think it is sweet, i was just curious!
stark_ag
AG
Just want to check in here and say THIS IS AWESOME!
DayAg!
S
This is no different then sending all your private information to one of the alphabet agencies. They love when everyone uses google. Makes their job easier.
PLUM LOCO
AG
quote:
If you have an account on AggieNetwork.com, then you can claim your email account.
Can someone dumb this down for me? I can log into AggieNetwork but how do I get the AggieNetwork Email? I don't see anywhere to sign up for an email account.
AggieBQ03
AG
I think it's under profile options.
reb,
AG
quote:
This is no different then sending all your private information to one of the alphabet agencies. They love when everyone uses google. Makes their job easier.
We don't need to send our private information to the three letter orgs. They are fine with aggressively coming after it all on their own accord, on every service, across the globe.

Do you have a specific objection or was your post some good ol fashioned drive-by trolling that people ought to ignore?
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
Once you are logged in, just go to tx.ag/email.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Thanks
Malachi Constant
AG
Unlimited storage
Vade281
AG
Signed up!
DayAg!
S
quote:
Do you have a specific objection or was your post some good ol fashioned drive-by trolling that people ought to ignore

No , no objection. People continue to be just like sheep when it comes to privacy matters. I just wouldnt volunteer to put anything on a server outside of my control and security when it comes to sensitive info. But that's just me.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Do you have a specific objection or was your post some good ol fashioned drive-by trolling that people ought to ignore

No , no objection. People continue to be just like sheep when it comes to privacy matters. I just wouldnt volunteer to put anything on a server outside of my control and security when it comes to sensitive info. But that's just me.
I assume you also think said company is lying when they specifically say they won't be looking at your data. Maybe I'm too trustworthy, but I'm a happy person who doesn't belive Bush flew those planes into the WTC and that we actually did land on the moon, so what do I know.
TexasRebel
AG
It's not so much what they say now.

It's that they can alter the terms at any time without your consent.
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:

It's very ambitious of you to try and pass off tinfoil-hattery off as some sort of infosec superiority. You sure you got your butt covered, though, o sensai? A server within your control would need to be on your premises which is, if you live in a residential area, against your terms of service with your ISP. Then again, you wouldn't contract an ISP yourself, right? Because those are known to be tapped for bulk data collection (see AT&T in San Francisco at NSA's behest). I guess you lay down the wire by yourself to the backbone, which you'd also need to have control of because each interconnect is another opportunity to exploit. You really couldn't be using any service by any company...no google, no facebook, no amazon, no ashley madison...because obviously their servers are outside your control.

Basically this sort of airtight situation you seem to have procured for yourself is really you playing minecraft on your phone on a server hosted on your own isolated LAN. Something needs to pass the time while you wait by the radio dish you built out of coat hangers. It's pointed at Vega, you'll be ready when the Others make contact and come to get you off this rock.

I'm just havin a lil fun with ya, but its to show that you really can't be in the world and not have your data accumulated. Even with VPNs, encrypted messaging and storage, multi-factor authentication, and steering clear of federal honeypots really cant help you because in the end, all traffic gets vacuumed up and stored away in Utah for when its trivial to go back some years from now and punk the cryptography of today like it was a cipher ring from a box of crackerjacks.

Bro, you just gotta live a lil. I'll post up my public pgp key if you need someone to talk to.
TexasRebel
AG
You can use an ISP if pub/priv key pairs are involved that change every week...

I mean if they find out everything about you decades after you die... That's how you end up with a biographical fiction.

04texag
AG
This is so great! Never knew this was out there. Just signed up for my first email addy there
AggieMavsfan
AG
quote:
OBSERVATIONS:

I grabbed a sizable torrent (3 gig movie), disconnected my main Google Drive account from the Windows client and then connected the AggieNetwork.com Google account for some testing. Yeah...its definitely real. HOWEVER....we are being lied to, it's not unlimited...if this is accurate, its a paltry 10 terabytes. /s

A look at access on the Android app.

This is rad. Because it also means this is going to work.

Google Apps Customers Will Start Getting Google+ Photos In Drive On April 6th, Plus More Details About Functionality

Translation: AggieNetwork has given us five accounts, each featuring 10 terabytes of cloud storage with desktop and mobile apps, the latter of which include automatic photo/video backup and enhancement features.

Gig'em.

Edit: another thing I remember now is that each of the 5 email addresses you make all go to the same inbox but a separate sub-folder... Likely meaning that you have one 10 terabyte account, not five, but I haven't tested.

Is it smart to put torrented media in the cloud? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems like it preserves evidence of what you did. Is that a legitimate concern? Or is using a non logging VPN when torrenting good enough?
cr0wbar
AG
I can't seem to add the AN account to my mobile drive. Has anyone else have a problem doing so?
hph6203
AG
Are you including the @aggienetwork.com at the end when attempting to log into Google Drive?
cr0wbar
AG
quote:
Are you including the @aggienetwork.com at the end when attempting to log into Google Drive?
I've successfully logged into it on my desktop- but still can't seem to add the account on my mobile. Every time I try to 'add account' it directs me to set up the email again and says it's already been created.
cr0wbar
AG
Ok- so to add the @AN account to your Mobile Drive- you have to literally add the account. (Note Samsung Galaxy S5)

Settings-->Accounts-->Google-->Existing

And it should be pretty straight forward from there. This is what I referenced. Will have to do so on my tablets now as well.
skiag
AG
Just wanted to chime in and say this is awesome. Thanks for the heads up.
reb,
AG
quote:
Is it smart to put torrented media in the cloud? Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it seems like it preserves evidence of what you did. Is that a legitimate concern? Or is using a non logging VPN when torrenting good enough?
Hah...no. Well, to be accurate, its not smart to put pirated illegal media in the cloud. It does preserve evidence unless you are using some of the encrypted cloud services out there like SpiderOak. What I was basically doing was getting the biggest file that I could as fast as I could, throw it at this thing and see if i could make it choke. This was when I still wasn't even sure what to make of all of it. Looking back, it would have been much wiser on my part to grab a Linux ISO or some other large (and legal) file and used that instead. It's long deleted now of course, I don't think anyone thinks streaming MKVs from a google drive is something people would actually do

So yea...listen kids, don't put pirated stuff up in the cloud, its very bad, dont be like reb,. reb, is sorry. reb, was just excited and didn't think that one quite through.
bco2003
AG
I just setup CrashPlan to backup my PC to the AggieNetwork Google Drive and it seems to be working great. CrashPlan encrypts the backups before sending to Google Drive, so I'm not terribly concerned about the security implications either.
reb,
AG
quote:
I just setup CrashPlan to backup my PC to the AggieNetwork Google Drive and it seems to be working great. CrashPlan encrypts the backups before backing up to Google Drive, so I'm not terribly concerned about the security implications either.
now thats a good idea.

Usually I use Box (got a 50 gig free subscription at some point) as the place I have my phone dump the recordings of conversations but the 250 gig file size limit is a drag, im going to switch it over to Drive.
wee_ag
AG
Great idea with CrashPlan - Now I wonder if there's a way to auto-upload my TimeMachine backups from my Netgear ReadyNAS to the Drive account...
bco2003
AG
I jumped the gun on saying CrashPlan is working great backing-up to Google Drive.

CrashPlan finished its backup process, but I'm seeing that Google Drive is still syncing, and seems to be hung-up on 50 out of 80 files for quite some time, although I still see the PC sending 2.5 Mbps worth of traffic to Google on my NIC stats.

CrashPlan seems to split its archives into 4 GB files. I'm not for sure on it's methodology on modifying those files when I make an update, but say if I make a change to a 1 KB file, and it updates an existing 4 GB file, Google Drive will probably have to re-transfer that whole 4 GB file.

This may not be a feasible solution. Will post another update on my results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.