AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,055 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aTm2004 said:

Cepe said:

Recommendations for a good cloud drive? I think I'm willing to pay at this point. . .
Are you in the Apple ecosystem and do you have Spotify? If so, take a look at Apple One. If you have a family, you can get Apple Music, TV+, arcade, and 200gigs of iCloud storage for $20/mo. Get the Apple card and you get 3% back each month. That's probably what I'm going with for stuff I want instant access to in addition to an external drive.

huh.... now I'm pissed. Never knew about that.

I have
2 TB storage $10 shared
Music Family $15
TV+ $5

That's $30 and they have a $30 version with all of that and adds Arcade, News and Fitness

I mean I doubt I would use those really but I'll have to consider it.

PS - you can also opt for just the 2TB storage for $10 if you don't want all of those other services.
aTm2004
AG
Yep. They introduced their bundle last year when the new Fitness app went live. I've been on Spotify for years, but I'm about to make the jump, and Apple Music has Dolby Atmos now.

https://www.apple.com/apple-one/
kb2001
AG
traxter said:

Cepe said:

I agree on the SSD's - they are so cheap and fast.

But I also like that I can get to my files whenever and not have to have my drive with me. . .

Probably a good encrypted service would be nice as well. . .
Just a thought, but you could also do an SSD attached to a cheap computer and set up as web server so you can access anywhere. Not near as convenient, function, or safe as a real cloud storage, but an option if remote access is really necessary.
Just run NextCloud on that cheap computer, then you have a syncing service that has mobile apps available as well
kb2001
AG
I've been looking for replacement solutions today and found one I'm going to use, at least for the next year. My requirements are 3TB of space, and compatible with rclone. I use rclone to encrypt everything going to the cloud solution, and part of what I sync is all our movies, which is just under 3TB

OpenDrive.com seems to check all the boxes. It's $10/mo or $100/yr for unlimited storage space, and its compatible with rclone.

The unlimited storage is key, most of the other cloud sync solutions cap it at 2TB. If you get into larger sizes you're looking at object storage which is still more, or cold storage which is a pain.

Payment is through paypal, so no CC info needs to pass to them. I only store things encrypted so I'm not concerned with them look at my stuff.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I settled on the following solution. Believe I have successfully moved away from AggieNetwork Google offerings. Good while it lasted, but then you always get what you pay for.

Hope this information below helps someone.

My solution for family:

Summary:
Photos -> Google One
Cloud Drive -> OneDrive (Office 365 Family)

-----------------
Details and Services

Godaddy - Domain Registration and Management
Done this for years.

Google One
Use for my Google presence and Google Photos
Really like the Google photos overall, select that method over my own hosting or other solutions like SmugMug

Office 365 - Family Pack
For less than hosting mailboxes on GoDaddy, am able to use Office 365 Family and integrate my e-mail with a domain like TxAggieBand@BQNerd.com <--- [not my address] with it. Yes, wife and I both have Office thru work, but maintaining our own makes sense as the e-mail with Outlook.com and the family pack is less than the cost of a few addresses managed by GoDaddy.
Also gives us the Cloud drive we seek.

Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage)
Have a Synology single disk NAS at home to support several services:
1) Backup Cloud Drive
2) Host Media
3) Provide Managed VPN services to home network
(yes, I could RAID this and / or do all of this with my own Linux box)

k20dub
AG
When is the deadline again? June?
GT_Aggie2015
AG
What's the easiest way to move Photos from my Aggie Network account to a Google One account without downloading and uploading AND maintaining quality? Willing to pay at this point.
TxAggieBand85
AG
GT_Aggie2015 said:

What's the easiest way to move Photos from my Aggie Network account to a Google One account without downloading and uploading AND maintaining quality? Willing to pay at this point.
For photos from one account too another, Google Tech support guided me to Partner Sharing. Albums do not transfer.

I also see a transfer tool in the Google Account management. I have not yet tried that.
GT_Aggie2015
AG
Thanks for the tip. Maybe a question for Google Tech Support but does partner sharing automatically download/save to that account or is it strictly sharing. What I mean is that if I just partner share and then leave my AN account as is and then Google deletes my photos my partner account will no longer have access if that makes sense.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I am not an Google expert. Just transferred by wife's AggieNetwork photos to her Google One account. Was able to save the photos.

Also set her phone to use her Google One account and I removed the AggieNetwork (Google) account from her phone.

Will be losing the shared Albums come 1 June that are hosted at the AggieNetwork account.

Hope this helps.

-------------------

Lots of solutions out there, it is a matter of selecting the one that works best for your case. I chose Google One for photos because wife used Google Photos and was comfortable with it. I like it also. Now that transferring the photos was reasonably painless, I am mostly happy.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

I settled on the following solution. Believe I have successfully moved away from AggieNetwork Google offerings. Good while it lasted, but then you always get what you pay for.

Hope this information below helps someone.

My solution for family:

Summary:
Photos -> Google One
Cloud Drive -> OneDrive (Office 365 Family)

-----------------
Details and Services

Godaddy - Domain Registration and Management
Done this for years.

Google One
Use for my Google presence and Google Photos
Really like the Google photos overall, select that method over my own hosting or other solutions like SmugMug

Office 365 - Family Pack
For less than hosting mailboxes on GoDaddy, am able to use Office 365 Family and integrate my e-mail with a domain like TxAggieBand@BQNerd.com <--- [not my address] with it. Yes, wife and I both have Office thru work, but maintaining our own makes sense as the e-mail with Outlook.com and the family pack is less than the cost of a few addresses managed by GoDaddy.
Also gives us the Cloud drive we seek.

Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage)
Have a Synology single disk NAS at home to support several services:
1) Backup Cloud Drive
2) Host Media
3) Provide Managed VPN services to home network
(yes, I could RAID this and / or do all of this with my own Linux box)

So you have a personal cloud set up through the Synology NAS? Or are you saying you're using it to backup what you have in the cloud? Sorry for the possibly inane question, just trying to figure out what my options are.

I'm somewhat computer savvy, but I'm an imbecile compared to some of you guys when it comes to servers and networking. Right now I have the 2 Tb iCloud that my wife and I are sharing, but we're already 17% full there without all of the photos on my desktop being uploaded. Theoretically we're good there for another 3 or 4 years at that rate, but then what? So I'm trying to figure out a good solution that's expandable for us. Kinda thinking hard on creating an NAS here so I can play around and learn some things. I do like the idea of creating a NextCloud server as supposedly I can use that to auto-backup photos off our iPhones...
TxAggieBand85
AG
Quote:

So you have a personal cloud set up through the Synology NAS? Or are you saying you're using it to backup what you have in the cloud? Sorry for the possibly inane question, just trying to figure out what my options are.
I use the Synology for \ personal accessible space and a backup of my online Cloud. (OneDrive)

Am using the single disk model, which puts my personal non cloud stuff at risk. Will be upgrading to a 2 or 4 disk solution to keep in a mirror.

I find the Synology solution adequate and keeps my stuff in the cloud backed up as the "what if" when our tech companies change their services or eliminate our stuff due to "whatever reason" they decide.

The Synology really keeps a reasonable solution to access personal cloud hosted at home.

The Synology also provides a manageable VPN solution back to home.

Future Plans --- Expand to a multi disk solution and backup (mentioned above) and keep my photos backed up from Google Photos.

The Dog Lord
AG
Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
AZAG08
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Bump as a reminder that the deadline to do something with your files is June 1st. I just decided to pay for my own Google storage since I have less than 100 GB of data, and it only cost $24/year including tax.

I'm using the Google Takeout transfer process to send everything over to my personal Gmail/Drive account. Says it could take up to a week to fully transfer it all over, but I assume that is for people with huge amounts of data. It's done about 4% (2.5 of 65 GB) in 30 minutes.
Thanks for this-- I went ahead and did the same.
The Dog Lord
AG
No problem. Update on the time, I have 60.67 GB transferred as of 10:00 AM today, so it'll be fully done within 14 hours or so.
Pman17
AG
Started deleting stuff today. Most of my stuff is on my Synology now.

Maybe someday, all of my data will fit on a thumb drive.
Fenrir
Thanks for posting about the Google Takeout thing...no idea that existed and trying to download all my stuff directly off of google drive was turning into a pain in the ass. That looks like it will simplify things.
double aught
AG
Yep, thanks. I'll probably do this too. It was good while it lasted.
ATL Aggie
AG
Google Takeout isnt working for me. I am getting the following message:

Quote:

Transfer Your Content is only available to authorized G Suite for Education Accounts. Please contact your administrator, or sign in with another Google Account.
Am I missing something?
The Dog Lord
AG
ATL Aggie said:

Google Takeout isnt working for me. I am getting the following message:

Quote:

Transfer Your Content is only available to authorized G Suite for Education Accounts. Please contact your administrator, or sign in with another Google Account.
Am I missing something?
I had to make sure to switch back to my AggieNetwork account. You initiate it from that account and tell it to send it to your new account.
AgsMyDude
AG
TxAggieBand85 said:

I am not an Google expert. Just transferred by wife's AggieNetwork photos to her Google One account. Was able to save the photos.

Also set her phone to use her Google One account and I removed the AggieNetwork (Google) account from her phone.

Will be losing the shared Albums come 1 June that are hosted at the AggieNetwork account.

Hope this helps.

-------------------

Lots of solutions out there, it is a matter of selecting the one that works best for your case. I chose Google One for photos because wife used Google Photos and was comfortable with it. I like it also. Now that transferring the photos was reasonably painless, I am mostly happy.

Edit: wrong emoji
I'm a bit behind on this thread so I need to read up.

I have all my photos on my Aggie network account and several shared albums.

I can't just pay for the additional space on the Aggie network account?

Can I transfer ownership of the shared album to a Google one account? Have one with a lot of content of the kids I share with my family

Looks like Im just shy of 300 GB currently.
The Dog Lord
AG
Can't pay for the extra storage on the AggieNetwork account because it's structured as a Workpsace for Education account (or something like that). The Association would have to pay for more storage, and they're not wanting to act as a middleman by passing along charges to individuals that want more storage.
AgsMyDude
AG
I see that makes sense. Glad I saw this otherwise I'd have lost a ton of invaluable pictures.

I'll get the transfer setup here in the next couple of days to my personal Gmail then probably setup Google One paid for now until I can get a permanent solution.
Tabasco
AG
Oof I have been putting this off for years. Thanks for the reminder. The last few posts said you can't transfer albums, but I assume you can transfer over my hundreds of folders, that have random pics from the last 20 years. Thanks 12thMF. I think I probably have 250G if I recall correctly, and I tried once last year to put them on a physical drive but had zero luck.
Rex Racer
AG
I got 5 TB of storage on iDrive.com for $7.95 for the first year. The deal is still going. After that, it's $79.50 per year.
Ezra Brooks
AG
I bought a 2TB portable drive. Have successfully pulled over all of the files from GDrive but have about 120G on Google Photos that I'm struggling with the Transfer process on.
agracer
AG
crap, I can't recall my password and it says to contact my administrator for access.

anyone know what to do here?
Malachi Constant
AG
Is there an easy way to transfer google photos to another google photos account?
eric76
AG
reb, said:

Being able to create up to 5 disposable email addresses is awesome and I love that it used gmail, but I took a closer look recently while setting up 2-factor authentication on it with a FIDO U2F usb key and had a big "duh" moment that its not just simply a Google account with connected Drive/Contacts/Gmail/Calendar functionality, its a Google Apps enterprise account.
How do you create the disposable e-mail addresses?
AgsMyDude
AG
Malachi Constant said:

Is there an easy way to transfer google photos to another google photos account?

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2615075/replies/61976996

I think this might do Photos but I haven't tried.

You could also create a shared album with the other account that contains every picture and then save them all
k20dub
AG
Just got this email from the Association:

Quote:

We're writing again with an alert and updates regarding your Google-based @AggieNetwork.com email account.

It's imperative that you move or back up any files in your Google Drive before Aug. 1, 2022.

On June 1, 2022, adding new files to Google Drive will be disabled for @AggieNetwork.com accounts. You will still be able to access and download what is there until Aug. 1.

This is because of storage limits that Google will impose on our Workspace for Education account, causing us to cap all @AggieNetwork.com accounts at 10 gigabytes of total storage beginning June 1.

For reference, you can find copies of all the correspondence we have sent about these changes at tx.ag/StorageLimitUpdates, going back to July 2021.

As discussed in those updates, each user's 10 gigabytes of storage will be limited to Gmail and Google Photos. Beginning Aug. 1, Google Drive will be fully disabled for all accounts, and files left in your Google Drive may become unrecoverable at that point.

Helpful links:

We believe these steps will enable our Aggie-branded email program to be sustainable for some time.

However, please understand that future circumstances or decisions made by Google could require the further reduction of storage space or removal of Google Photos from @AggieNetwork.com accounts down the road.

Additional updates will be sent out as more information becomes available.
Charpie
AG
Started takeout this morning and got an email an hour later saying it was ready. When I get home, I'll start downloading them.

Reb was so excited about this whole thing when it started. May be rest in peach
kyledr04
AG
So does the transfer process from aggienetwork to another Gmail move the drive and photos? Are photos separate or naturally part of the drive? It wasn't clear when I started it. I already bought more space on my main gmail.

Also, for anyone with an Aggie spouse that also got the Google drive space that you could share with family. How move their photos? Did you move it to your gmail or theirs?
Charpie
AG
You basically have to download the files, then reupload them somewhere.
Malachi Constant
AG
Google found a roundabout way for many of us (myself included) to purchase more stuff.

Google photos is such a good product that now I'm willing to pay to keep my 50+GB of photos on the platform. The removal of duplicate photos, being able to search by date, location, and by face, and the overall feel of the app is so good I'm not going to skip a beat paying for it.

In fact, I rarely use the Apple Photos app anymore because Google Photos works so well.

Sounds like my weekend project is going to include downloading everything and re-uploading to my personal google account...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.