AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

74,060 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Malachi Constant
Charpie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For your photos, download google photos and back up that way.
reb,
AG
ttt because i just played around with this again. and general PSA about this.

I'm at a paltry 3 gigabytes used of my 10 terabytes. I need to really leverage it more.
reb,
AG
Charpie said:

For your photos, download google photos and back up that way.
yes and do them at full-res since you dont need to worry about space. no need to take the option for the 'unlimited' storage of the reduced size pictures.
Pman17
AG
Google Drive is getting a new Back Up and Sync app where you can choose any file on your computer to backup. This will help with those with multiple cloud accounts and those wanting to backup almost their entire computer. Eliminates the requirement to put everything in one Google Drive folder.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/06/backup-and-sync-from-google-available.html?m=1
hunter2012
AG
Pman17 said:

Google Drive is getting a new Back Up and Sync app where you can choose any file on your computer to backup. This will help with those with multiple cloud accounts and those wanting to backup almost their entire computer. Eliminates the requirement to put everything in one Google Drive folder.

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2017/06/backup-and-sync-from-google-available.html?m=1

Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Out Now!
Aggie Network
Sponsor
AG
Here's a how-to for moving all of your Gmail and Google Drive content from an @TAMU to an @AggieNetwork account: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g7eTauJAQzOgukvFSfmfwksMQjHqi8xf/view
The Association of Former Students | Texas A&M University
AggieNetwork@AggieNetwork.com | (979) 845-7514
Aggietaco
AG
So, is there an easy way to move photos from a primary Google account to the Aggienetwork account? I've finally maxed out my free and small paid Google photos account and started to try and move photos to my Aggienetwork account rather than pay $20/year for the 100GB plan, but it looks to be very tedious.

The only way I've figured is to select photos I want to move, add them to a shared folder, invite the 2nd account, swap to 2nd account, join folder, save all pictures to another folder, swap back to 1st account, delete shared folder and then go find every picture that was in that folder and delete it as well.

The PITA part is primarily because Google photos doesn't send photos to folders like most people are used to, and only tags photos in your photo sandbox with a folder. As far as I'm aware, there's still not a way to look at photos that haven't been sorted into a folder.
exp
AG
Multcloud is a tool to do easy migrations from one cloud account to another. Google it. I've used it in the past and it worked well. Always a little nervous handing over Google credentials to a 3rd party though.
Cepe
AG
It's google. They probably own everything you put on it actually. No escaping them. I saw that google sees about 30% of what people are doing even if they have no google accounts because you pass through their equipment some where. Who knows.

I just approach everything online as never being private.
Aggietaco
AG
Yeah, I'm probably more likely to pay $20/yr for the storage.
AgFB
AG
I need a way to move all my cloud apple photos to my unlimited aggienetwork account. I'll check out multicloud.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Saw your comment about using Multcloud to move iCloud to Google Photos or Drive. I checked Multcloud, did not see iCloud support.

However, just tried iCloud for Windows. Looks like my iCloud photos are downloading to my local drive. Then will be easy to transfer.

Hope this helps.
DE4D
AG
I dont always come out from under my rock.... But when i do there is always a delicious texags thread waiting on me.
“Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come.”
Gary79Ag
AG
Set up my AN account and working on figuring out what to do next...
Gary79Ag
AG
FYI...effective July 10, 2019

Recent changes to Google Photos & Google Drive

Quote:

Recent changes to Google Photos & Google Drive

What's happening?

Starting July 10, 2019, Google Photos and Google Drive will no longer automatically sync. We're making this change to simplify how things work between the two services. You can read more about the changes in our blog post.

• When you upload or delete photos in Google Drive or Google Photos, changes won't reflect in the other product.
  • On photos.google.com, you can use a new feature called "Upload from Drive", which lets you manually choose photos and videos from Drive to copy into Photos. This feature may not be available for everyone until the end of July 2019.
  • Once items are copied into Photos, items are not connected between the two products.
  • If you copy Original quality items from Drive into Photos, they will count towards your storage in both products. Learn more.
  • These changes are for all devices and platforms, like iOS and Android.
  • Your existing photos and videos are still in Google Photos and Google Drive. Google Photos backup will continue to work as before.

Sazerac
AG
any step by step on how to transfer google photos / docs from a gmail account to aggienetwork account?

my plan is to have the family logged into the aggienetwork account for google photos apps on our phone so we all upload to the same place.
but have our individual gmail accounts for mail. will that be possible?

The Fife
Tagging along, I would like to transfer a lot of my stuff from my wife's google drive to this one. Any ideas how to do it?
PincheDriller
AG
What you do is share the album with your Aggienetwork account and then move all the pictures from the shared folder to the main folder. All within the browser.
eric76
AG
reb, said:

Quote:

10 TB is like Microsofts Office 365. But if they're strict with files, I may stick with OneDrive as my primary storage. Hmm, Google or Microsoft...
not strict if IIRC...only real restriction is max file size of 5 terabytes.
My understanding is that they have a hidden limit of 750 GB per day uploads per account on Google Drive. That might be wrong, but if it is true, it would seem that you need to have a slow connection in order to send a 5 terabyte file.
bco2003
AG
eric76 said:

reb, said:

Quote:

10 TB is like Microsofts Office 365. But if they're strict with files, I may stick with OneDrive as my primary storage. Hmm, Google or Microsoft...
My understanding is that they have a hidden limit of 750 GB per day uploads per account on Google Drive. That might be wrong, but if it is true, it would seem that you need to have a slow connection in order to send a 5 terabyte file.

750 GB upload per day requires a ~70 Mbps uplink connection. There are certainly faster uplink connections (like my parents 1 Gbps, I'm jealous) but I'd guess that ~70 Mbps is faster than the average uplink speed these days.
eric76
AG
bco2003 said:

eric76 said:

reb, said:

Quote:

750 GB upload per day requires a ~70 Mbps uplink connection. There are certainly faster uplink connections (like my parents 1 Gbps, I'm jealous) but I'd guess that ~70 Mbps is faster than the average uplink speed these days.
That's a good point.

It appears that the storage is a college type account. As such, there are apparently some limitations on its use.

In particular, there is something called Backup and Sync and something called Drive Streaming (or something like that). From what I read, it appears that you can use the Streaming with the accounts, but not the Backup and Sync.

Do I understand that correctly?

FWIW, it doesn't matter much to me since they apparently don't have either for Linux/Unix. There are some third party apps to try to make up for that. I do have an elderly Mac OS computer so I guess I could try the Backup and Sync on it.
bco2003
AG
eric76 said:

That's a good point.

It appears that the storage is a college type account. As such, there are apparently some limitations on its use.

In particular, there is something called Backup and Sync and something called Drive Streaming (or something like that). From what I read, it appears that you can use the Streaming with the accounts, but not the Backup and Sync.

FWIW, it doesn't matter much to me since they apparently don't have either for Linux/Unix. There are some third party apps to try to make up for that. I do have an elderly Mac OS computer so I guess I could try the Backup and Sync on it.
Interesting, hadn't read into the Drive Streaming, thanks for mentioning.

I have successfully tested the Backup and Sync with my Aggie Network Google Drive account from a Windows 10 PC.

I also have a Netgear NAS which has an integrated Google Drive client. It replicates data bidirectionally between specified NAS directories and Google Drive. I currently have about 700 gigs of data backed up from my NAS to the Aggie Network Google Drive.
txyaloo
AG
eric76 said:

bco2003 said:

eric76 said:

reb, said:

Quote:

That's a good point.

InSync client works very well for moving files between gdrive and a computer. They have a debian client so I assume they have one for MacOS.
TMoney2007
AG
eric76 said:

bco2003 said:

eric76 said:

reb, said:

Quote:

That's a good point.

The other product is called "File Stream" it basically mounts your google drive like a physical drive and downloads the files as needed or you can tell it to keep a local copy all the time.
eric76
AG
One thing that I used to love was the Andrew File System.

With it, you could have local copies of the files on your computer or laptop so that you could work on them without the Internet. Once the Internet was available again, it would copy the changes back to the server. Naturally, if someone else modified a file, the update would have to be manually done instead of just assuming that the latest modification is the one to keep.

This is easier, but I haven't looked into if or how this handles the same issue.
Pman17
AG
Quote:

The other product is called "File Stream" it basically mounts your google drive like a physical drive and downloads the files as needed or you can tell it to keep a local copy all the time.

I highly recommend this. The mounted drive will show everything that's in your Google Drive. You can right click folders or files and set them to sync for offline use.

You can drag large files to the drive and it will upload those files and delete them from local storage when fully uploaded.

For anyone that wants to encrypt folders to Google Drive, I recommend Cryptomator. Instead of encrypting the whole folder, Cryptomator will encrypt each file within the folder so that google drive doesn't have to deal with uploading the folder as a large encrypted file. When accessing the folder, it mounts as a drive. This allows me to keep everything in the cloud.

https://cryptomator.org/

MW03
AG
File stream has randomly stopped working for me. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and no dice. Pissing me off.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I've been wary of the offering from the University and Google Drive. Have been using The Aggie Network offering, but impossible to trust A&M after the 12th Man Foundation taking away my lifetime seats when the new stadium was built.

Just bought a new NAS for home. Really like it, packaged Linux solution at a good price point and added a large drive. One of the features is to backup cloud drives, which now I have all my Aggie Google stuff in a separate copy. Now ready for the day when the University pulls the plug.

For anyone interested, I got this model.

Synology DS120j 1 bay NAS DiskStation (Diskless), 512MB DDR3L

The File Stream feature is awesome, really works well.
eric76
AG
Instead of going back and reading this all again to see if this has already been discussed, I'll just ask it here.

Has anyone tried using borg (backup software) to backup computers to the AggieNetwork cloud on Google?
eric76
AG
Well, grive2 apparently hasn't been vetted by Google so that isn't usable.

I have Google Drive on an iMac so I used sshfs (ssh fuse) to mount the drive on the OpenBSD machine:

Quote:

mkdir /mnt/gdrive
sshfs eric76@192.168.1.128:/Volumes/GoogleDrive/"My Drive" /mnt/gdrive
mkdir /mnt/gdrive/bkp
borg init --encryption=none /mnt/gdrive/bkp/fido
borg create --stats /mnt/gdrive/bkp/fido::etc /etc

It seems to have worked okay.

Next step is to mount it automagically from the /etc/fstab file. I've used this on other systems -- just have to remember the format of the entry in fstab.
The Fife
TxAggieBand85 said:

I've been wary of the offering from the University and Google Drive. Have been using The Aggie Network offering, but impossible to trust A&M after the 12th Man Foundation taking away my lifetime seats when the new stadium was built.

Just bought a new NAS for home. Really like it, packaged Linux solution at a good price point and added a large drive. One of the features is to backup cloud drives, which now I have all my Aggie Google stuff in a separate copy. Now ready for the day when the University pulls the plug.

For anyone interested, I got this model.

Synology DS120j 1 bay NAS DiskStation (Diskless), 512MB DDR3L

The File Stream feature is awesome, really works well.
I say this as someone who's still migrating stuff to google drive, but that's why I always keep a backup. I've already had clouds go down and don't want to leave myself open to that happening again.
AggieQuad04
I've got a Synology as well.

Are you purely using Google Drive to Sync to your Nas or are you using Google Photos to sync to the Nas as well?

I am only recently trying our Google Photos and realizing in the Google world (Google One, Google Suites, Google EDU) it(google photos) has different entitlements.... it appears just over a year ago, there was a break with it and Google Drive/Suites/EDU and the capacity/mirroring as been changed.
Dawnguard
AG
Giving this page a bump (and less of a necro than I was guessing) due to google starting to rein in their unlimited storage practices.
double aught
AG
Wonder if it will effect the aggienetwork accounts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.