AggieNetwork.com gives us a bit more than I figured.

73,087 Views | 364 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Malachi Constant
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Being able to create up to 5 disposable email addresses is awesome and I love that it used gmail, but I took a closer look recently while setting up 2-factor authentication on it with a FIDO U2F usb key and had a big "duh" moment that its not just simply a Google account with connected Drive/Contacts/Gmail/Calendar functionality, its a Google Apps enterprise account.

I went here while I logged in: https://myaccount.google.com/

Scrolled down, saw this and clicked on Storage:

Which brought me to a page that gave me a chub:

Is this common knowledge? I had no idea about it. UNLIMITED STORAGE? Yes please!
LostInLA07
wee_ag
AG
CONFIRMED!

Sentinel
chipotle
jeffk
AG
Wait. What is this?
AggieBob08
AG
My new hard drive?!
Engine10
AG
Let it begin.
jeffk
AG
Will Google automatically link these AN accounts with my old gmail accounts?
reb,
AG
OBSERVATIONS:

I grabbed a sizable torrent (3 gig movie), disconnected my main Google Drive account from the Windows client and then connected the AggieNetwork.com Google account for some testing. Yeah...its definitely real. HOWEVER....we are being lied to, it's not unlimited...if this is accurate, its a paltry 10 terabytes. /s

A look at access on the Android app.

This is rad. Because it also means this is going to work.

Google Apps Customers Will Start Getting Google+ Photos In Drive On April 6th, Plus More Details About Functionality

Translation: AggieNetwork has given us five accounts, each featuring 10 terabytes of cloud storage with desktop and mobile apps, the latter of which include automatic photo/video backup and enhancement features.

Gig'em.

Edit: another thing I remember now is that each of the 5 email addresses you make all go to the same inbox but a separate sub-folder... Likely meaning that you have one 10 terabyte account, not five, but I haven't tested.
tremble
AG
Boner
wee_ag
AG
quote:
No, you have to link your accounts manually in Google and it looks like you have to still log in to whichever storage account you want access to. They don't all combine into one.

Also BE AWARE of this: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/181692?hl=enthe policy says that Aggie Network has access to all files and information contained therein (including email). I can't find any information on what exactly AN does with the info - just a heads up if privacy is an issue.
BigPuma
AG
my guess is it was part of the deal when A&M went from whatever email client they were using to google.
Sentinel
AG
quote:
my guess is it was part of the deal when A&M went from whatever email client they were using to google.

The Association was using Google well before the university was I believe.
reb,
AG
quote:
quote:
No, you have to link your accounts manually in Google and it looks like you have to still log in to whichever storage account you want access to. They don't all combine into one.

Also BE AWARE of this: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/181692?hl=enthe policy says that Aggie Network has access to all files and information contained therein (including email). I can't find any information on what exactly AN does with the info - just a heads up if privacy is an issue.

Agree with wee, you have to link accounts manually.

You don't have to use an existing gmail account or anything like that to get what OP mentions. The requirement here is the ability to have an account with the association website. Any texags poster with ring bling by their handle has what they need to do so, IIRC. I will say that having my UIN perpetually burned into my brain made it faster because I didn't have to go digging up a transcript to find it. It is independent of any Google account you do or don't have.

I'm a little bit worried, though.

They may be up to something. I really would be upset if anyone accused me of being cynical here, but for more than a minute I've had some questions about the association. I don't think they understand that what it looks like is that they have made it trivial for any verified Aggie to establish perpetual electronic cash flows back to A&M. Someone could get the wrong impression of their mission, which is to let red ass Ags know where Miss Rev is going to be at any given wine-soaked Aggie Mom's meeting. It's in our maroon blood.

Not everyone appreciates accurate record-keeping or good ol fashioned decency, though, and they don't understand that when your audience explodes into 4 figures, standard operating procedure is a biweekly phone call to confirm both proof of life and a current billing address. Good bull, I say.

I guess if im going to put my tinfoil hat on, I'd say that the parasitic nature of millennials, even Aggies, requires that they be offered freebies enticing them to register on Aggienetwork.com. This is why the association wisely began distributing scarce goods like digital forum flair, access to a stalker database, and of course free email accounts. Millennials love that ****.
reb,
AG
It is nifty that those email accounts have become more useful, and i hope that nothing about the current arrangement, as it seems to be functioning now, ever becomes more restrictive, decreased, or limited in some way not currently in effect.

Seriously though, I love you, all you association folks reading this. Please don't take this away. Or at least let us know if and when you will.

I'm a bit concerned with what wee said about AN admin access to account contents...when I'm not out of pocket it'll be easier for me to review all the ToS/EULA/LW&T details. But, don't let anything stop someone in the know from chiming in! The Association does have an official texags account...
TexasRebel
AG
I guess that's one way to take over the world...
reb,
AG
one quick thing, im presuming that the privacy worry about the Association's administrative access to the accounts subordinate to it (which would be every google account made by any aggie via the website) is that some bored student worker with too much access could flip a switch to go in and view the contents of any account. There are legit reasons for someone being able to do that but what goes along with that are transparent terms, audit logs with timestamps, and coherent reasons for doing so.

I don't know if any of that exists, they could very well have no formal policy on it. But, there's a defense against it because the AggieNetwork google accounts support POP --> which means you can use a 3rd party email client --> such as one that PGP encrypts emails from end to end --> gibberish to bored student worker.

ive read more than a few comments from people that have privacy concerns about Dropbox explaining that they encrypt their data that goes into it with the same result of the contents being gibberish to the service provider.

soooo theres that. If moderate learning curves dont scare you, I use this open source software suite for PGP encryption needs...GPG4WIN comes with everything you need, including an email client called CLAWS that'll work with Gmail. http://www.gpg4win.org
Pman17
AG
Hmm, I should get an account
chipotle
Secret pron stash
Pman17
AG
10 TB is like Microsofts Office 365. But if they're strict with files, I may stick with OneDrive as my primary storage. Hmm, Google or Microsoft...
reb,
AG
quote:
10 TB is like Microsofts Office 365. But if they're strict with files, I may stick with OneDrive as my primary storage. Hmm, Google or Microsoft...
not strict if IIRC...only real restriction is max file size of 5 terabytes.
MikeSmithDev
AG
quote:
quote:

I run the Web Team at The Association of Former Students. When we became aware of this policy back in June of 2013, we immediately updated our Privacy Policy:

quote:
@AggieNetwork.com Email Accounts
The Association provides lifetime email addresses using Google Apps. Google provides site administrators with a way to perform automated "email audits" to review emails of users. The Association does not use this feature and will never access your account without your permission. Staff members who are administrators of the @AggieNetwork.com email system can help you with technical aspects of your account, including initial setup and password resets, but they can not log into your account or read emails.

To field a couple of the other questions / concerns
  • The Association was providing "forwarded" email accounts well before I arrived in 2009. In 2010 I suggested, and subsequently implemented, moving @AggieNetwork.com to Google Apps so we could provide a better service and reduce costs.
  • It was during this transition that the "5 email accounts" people were allowed to have were merged into one Google account with up to four aliases. There is only one login, one inbox, but you can send/receive for a total of 5 different email accounts. As such, there should only be one 10TB account.
  • No student workers have access to Admin features. It is just me and our primary IT staff so they can setup staff email accounts.
zurcaled11
AG
Thanks for the info, definitely going to take another look at this today.
Kampfers
AG
woah

thats, like, a lot of storage.

i don't think i'd even have 10 terabytes worth of **** if I accumulated all of my files from my past 3 computers.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
What file would ever be 5 terabytes?
zurcaled11
AG
So does someone mind walking through how to combine a previous gmail/drive account so that all of my photos and docs can just automatically use this storage...?
Sentinel
AG
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/63304
bco2003
AG
Nice find.
reb,
AG
Thank you so much, Mike!
AGinHI
Malachi Constant
nukeaggie2000
Hagen95
AG
Nice info. I have used the email account in the past and will have to try out the storage as well.
howitzercannon
AG
Does google use any of the information, or track any of the information through this account?

If I'm going to be receiving and sending items related to the Fappenin, I need to know that people are actively looking and combing through what I send outside of the Association.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.