Should Nikolas Cruz (2018 Parkland shooter) be sentenced to life or death?

26,042 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FireAg
RGLAG85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Am I legitimately the only one who feels like life without parole would be harder to go through than getting a needle?
That cost me to much money. He should be dead already.
lethalninja
If he did this in Canada, he would get life and be eligible for parole after 25 years, which is less than a year for each of his victims before being eligible for parole. That's not hyperbole, either.
ShaggySLC
lethalninja said:

If he did this in Canada, he would get life and be eligible for parole after 25 years, which is less than a year for each of his victims before being eligible for parole. That's not hyperbole, either.
give your balls a tug Canada

DannyDuberstein
AG

Am I legitimately the only one who feels like life without parole would be harder to go through than getting a needle?

Ask that poor family with the house near Centerville how effective a life sentence for a killer was. Best to kill evil when we have the chance
lethalninja
If TDCJ was actually enforcing their protocols and/or had better ones (they do now), he wouldn't have escaped, so that's more an issue related to protocols.
DannyDuberstein
AG
lethalninja said:

If TDCJ was actually enforcing their protocols and/or had better ones (they do now), he wouldn't have escaped, so that's more an issue related to protocols.

You are asking government employees to be 100% reliable at their job. You realize this is fantasy, right?
lethalninja
They can't be a hundred percent reliable, but at least now, it's very unlikely that something like this will happen again in Texas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Is that what you thought after Aubrey Hawkins got killed by the Texas 7?
lethalninja
It's sad that him and the Collins family were killed, but prison escapes are extremely uncommon.
DannyDuberstein
AG
lethalninja said:

It's sad that him and the Collins family were killed, but prison escapes are extremely uncommon.

No reason to give pure evil the chance. None.
lethalninja
Nine out of the seventeen victims that were non-fatally shot have testified, so the trial is happening surprisingly fast, although I imagine it will still take several months.
lethalninja
William Olson, Kheshava Mangapuram, Alexander Dworet (his brother Nicholas was killed), Daniela Menescal, Samantha Fuentes, Samantha Grady, Isabel Chequer, Ashley Baez and Genesis Valentin.
itsyourboypookie
They preserved the crime scene just so the jury could visit the classroom where the children died.

That's wild.

Ags4DaWin
I am okay with life as long as we get to poke and prod him to get a better understanding of how his mind works and how to prevent this from happening again.

Otherwise his life has no purpose and poses a threat to the public.
Ags4DaWin
lethalninja said:

We just had a months long thread where a murderer escaped and killed several people while he was on the run.

U really want to go with the argument that "its uncommon and therefore an acceptable risk" when there is a way to eliminate that risk completely.
jonb02
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

lethalninja said:

So kill 'em all?
Proc92
Did it turn out he was on or had been on ssri or similar meds?
black_ice
Burnsey said:

leachfan said:

Also, it may depend on if they like butt sex or not.

How about death by butt sex?

Slicer97
AG
jonb02 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

lethalninja said:

So kill 'em all?

Why not?
FamousAgg
Set him in the bottom of a tank and drive him all around the country and let people spit on him until he drowns
bmks270
AG
How does sentencing require 4 month trial?

Trial duration should be capped for benefit of the jurors or jurors need way better compensation. Who can sit on a jury for 4 months unpaid?
1991sir
Is it sad that he died? I feel safer with him gone. And do you think TDCJ didn't have adequate protocols before he escaped? Any company or agency can have protocols, but doesn't matter if they won't actually follow them.
Not a Bot
AG
The state rested last week. The defense started today.

The state presented a case with a lot of horrific video footage and emotional testimony. It was very powerful. The factors calling for the death penalty under Florida state law are overwhelmingly present. Florida does not require a finding for the death penalty under any circumstances, it is up to the jury.

His attorneys are in a difficult position. I have a lot of respect for them being willing to take this case. They are doing what they can in making sure the state does everything by the book. They have sparred with the judge on a few occasions. They are doing their best. That's the way it should be when the state is trying to take someone's life.

They are going to try to talk about his childhood and some trauma early in life but I don't think there's any way he's going to get life in prison. The judge ruled last week that they could not present evidence of brainwave function or other scientific evidence suggesting his behavior was due to some sort of biological issue.

They made clear in their opening statement today that there is no excuse for his actions. His own attorney called what he did horrific, and one of the worst cases imaginable. She made a point that mitigation is not an excuse but rather something to be considered in punishment for the behavior.

Tex100
AG
Death by firing squad
TheEternalPessimist
lethalninja said:

His sentencing trial started today and is expected to last four or five months. What are your thoughts on what he should be sentenced to?
Death by Firing Squad.
--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
TheEternalPessimist
Tex100 said:

Death by firing squad
Wow - same thought I had at same exact time.

--

"The Kingdom is for HE that can TAKE IT!" - Alexander
Not a Bot
AG
Death penalty recommendations must be unanimous in Florida. The defense is really honing in on the "individual decision" of each juror, likely playing to one or two people on the panel. All they have to do is sway one person.
Not a Bot
AG
To add, I became more against the death penalty as I've read about certain cases and seen so much prosecutorial misconduct and bad defense attorneys. However in this case it is completely warranted.

I think it would be a mistake to give him life in prison as based on his comments I think he would use that time to try to build his reputation and to taunt the survivors and family members of victims. His comments presented in the state case were very troubling. He is the type of egotistical evil that does not deserve to be breathing the same air as anyone else.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Death penalty recommendations must be unanimous in Florida. The defense is really honing in on the "individual decision" of each juror, likely playing to one or two people on the panel. All they have to do is sway one person.

If he's asking for life, I'm doubtful they sway anyone who isn't already anti-death penalty. Anyone who would even consider it is probably not going to vote no after what he did. It was cold, calculated, and he showed 0 remorse. He wanted to feel powerful and above everything. Now he's scared because the idea of dying himself is pretty ****ing real, and he's realizing he's going to suffer alone before getting snuffed out on society's terms unless someone has pity.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm in the same boat. I've turned against the death penalty on principle because cops and prosecutors are fallible and motivated by personal gain and politics, not justice.

In this case though, there's no question of guilt. I still don't like the death penalty, but I'm not going to feel bad if he gets it. I'd probably vote to give it to him if I were on the jury.
PlaneCrashGuy
AG
Subscribed. I think he gets life but deserves the chair.
I'm not sure if people genuinely believe someone is going to say, "Wow, if some people say I'm a moron for not believing this, it clearly must be true."

It's not much a persuasive argument. It really just sounds like a bunch of miniature dachshunds barking because the first one one barked when it thought it heard something.
annie88
AG

I am pro death penalty but honestly I feel this way. If I ever did anything that I knew was going to keep me in prison for the rest of my life I would probably kill myself. I have no idea if I would do that for sure, because I don't ever intend on doing anything that would put me in prison for life but who would want to live out your life there?

I get that the appeals are automatic in some cases but I've never understood someone who is absolutely guilty and has been sentenced to death would fight to try to stay alive.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
A_Gang_Ag_06
AG
Tex100 said:

Death by firing squad

With a one pump BB gun. As many shots as it takes to finish the job.
MB19
AG
Life without parole. Place him in general population. The rest will work itself out.
FrioAg 00
AG
redcrayon said:

I'm for whatever the families want.

Agreed. Simple majority vote, one from each family of victims.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.