Should Nikolas Cruz (2018 Parkland shooter) be sentenced to life or death?

26,088 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FireAg
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Most of the families wanted the death penalty, but some of them wanted life.
LegalDrugPusher
lethalninja said:

You said his judge is very talented, but she's never presided over a death penalty trial before this case, so they should have picked a judge with more experience instead of her being randomly assigned to the case.

That's not what I'm talking about. Lol
lethalninja
She's decent looking, but better looking than a lot of judges.
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Most of the families wanted the death penalty, but some of them wanted life.
Which ones wanted life? No one who spoke today for sure.
LegalDrugPusher
lethalninja said:

She's decent looking, but better looking than a lot of judges.

Google her she has much better pics than her official judge pic
redcrayon
AG
Duck lips. They always take it too far.
lethalninja
Carmen Schentrup's brother was against him getting the death penalty.
annie88
AG
I'm perfectly happy with the death penalty but I think he'll suffer more being in prison the rest of his life.

He's very young.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
redcrayon
AG
Carmen's parents disagree. I'd say their opinion matters more. Her brother didn't lose a child. A sibling is NOT the same thing as a child.
redcrayon
AG
annie88 said:

I'm perfectly happy with the death penalty but I think he'll suffer more being in prison the rest of his life.

He's very young.
He won't. This guy has no conscience. He won't suffer.
lethalninja
He'll suffer from the fact that he's in prison for the rest of his life, especially if he's in solitary confinement, but he won't suffer from remorse, since he doesn't have any.
annie88
AG
redcrayon said:

annie88 said:

He's very young.
I guess I'm weird then because if you're putting me in a prison for the rest of my life where I can never open the door for myself, do what I want to do and possibly be in a cell up to 23 hours a day? I would not care for that. I would think just his lack of freedom would be a form of suffering.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
lethalninja
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wptv.com/news/parkland-shooting/why-did-jury-choose-life-in-prison-for-nikolas-cruz%3f_amp=true

A law professor and a defense attorney not associated with the case explain why he got life instead of death
lethalninja
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/miami/news/nikolas-cruz-juror-tells-judge-in-letter-that-she-lived-up-to-oath-to-be-fair-and-unbiased/
lethalninja
1. Nikolas Cruz is a human being

2. Cruz has neurodevelopmental disorder associated with prenatal alcohol exposure

3. Cruz has alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder

4. Cruz was not correctly diagnosed as a child and did not, therefore receive the appropriate interventions at various stages of his life.

5. Cruz was exposed to alcohol in utero.

6. Cruz was exposed to drugs in utero.

7. Cruz was exposed to nicotine in utero.

8. Cruz's birth mother did not obtain proper prenatal care.

9. Cruz was 19 years old at the time of the crime.

10. Cruz's brain was not fully developed at the time of the crime.

11. Cruz witnessed death of his father

12. Cruz grew up without a father - raised by single mother.

13. Cruz witnessed the death of his adoptive mother shortly before the crime

14. Cruz lived with parent who abused alcohol

15. Cruz's adoptive mother was not forthcoming to medical, mental health and education providers regarding his birth mother's use of alcohol, drugs and nicotine during pregnancy.

16. Cruz's adoptive mother was inconsistent with his medication regimen.

17. Cruz's adoptive mother did not follow all the recommendations of his medical, mental health, and educational providers.

18. Cruz suffered food deprivation throughout his childhood.

19. Medicated throughout his childhood.

20. Cruz is immature for his age.

21. Cruz struggled academically throughout his life.

22. Cruz continues to try to educate himself, despite incarceration and learning difficulty.

23. Cruz was sexually abused by a trusted peer.

24. Cruz has the following deficits or disorders or impairments:

a. developmentally delayed

b. severe phonological delay

c. memory deficits

d. motor function delays

e. neurological impairments

f. social skills impairments

g. adaptive functioning deficits

h. executive functioning deficits.

i. central nervous system abnormalities.

j. independent functioning deficits

k. cognitive deficits

l. intellectual deficits

25. Cruz was diagnosed with the following during his life:

a. Attention deficit disorder

b. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

c. Oppositional defiance disorder

d. Reactive attachment disorder

e. Learning disability

f. Speech and language delay

g. Pervasive developmental disorder

h. Developmental receptive language disorder

i. Conduct disorder

j. Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder

k. Impulse control disorder

l. Anxiety disorder

m. Antisocial personality disorder

n. Borderline personality disorder

26. Cruz experienced risk factors of antisocial personality disorder including:

a. Unstable or erratic parenting

b. Inconsistent parental discipline

c. Having two first-degree relatives (his mother and sister) that exhibit antisocial behavior

27. Cruz was declared a vulnerable adult due to mental illness by the Florida Department of Children and Families

28. Cruz was bullied and ostracized by younger brother and peers

29. Cruz lacked self-confidence and had feelings of inadequacy growing up.

30. Cruz grew up in a verbally abusive household.

31. Cruz has remorse

32. Cruz was a diligent and conscientious employee and has a good employment history.

33. Cruz pled guilty and accepted responsibility for his crime.

34. Cruz has the ability to succeed in a highly structured and supervised environment such as Florida State Prison

35. Cruz exhibited appropriate courtroom behavior.

36. Cruz is currently under the care of a psychologist and a psychiatrist in the Broward County jail.

37. Cruz was compliant with his medication regimen in the jail

38. Cruz will be punished in prison and society will be protected.

39. Cruz is loved by people who will continue to be present in his life.

40. The existence of any other factors in defendant's character, background, or life, or the circumstances of the offense that would mitigate against the imposition of the death penalty.

The forty mitigating factors the defense presented, if anyone wants to read them
lethalninja
Comment if you actually read the mitigating factors, cause I'm curious if anyone reads them.
I Like Mike
AG
I did.

Doesnt matter.

Should hang.
FireAg
AG
17 people in their graves who can't claim excuses for their situation…

The only one crying about the bad hand life dealt them is the dude who pulled the trigger…

Because he's still sucking air…

It ain't right…he should be in a grave too…period…
redcrayon
AG
annie88 said:

redcrayon said:

annie88 said:

He's very young.
I guess I'm weird then because if you're putting me in a prison for the rest of my life where I can never open the door for myself, do what I want to do and possibly be in a cell up to 23 hours a day? I would not care for that. I would think just his lack of freedom would be a form of suffering.
Me, too. But he's actually told people that jail isn't bad. He's not normal. He'll probably enjoy the attention like he has during this sentencing trial.
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Comment if you actually read the mitigating factors, cause I'm curious if anyone reads them.
I watched the sentencing trial.

None of what you listed means that he shouldn't have gotten death. The families wanted it and were denied justice. Awful.
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wptv.com/news/parkland-shooting/why-did-jury-choose-life-in-prison-for-nikolas-cruz%3f_amp=true

A law professor and a defense attorney not associated with the case explain why he got life instead of death
They chose life because ONE juror wouldn't engage in deliberations. You don't need a couple of lawyers who weren't in the jury room to guess why they chose it. The foreman already told us.

I wonder if this was the same woman who was questioned by the judge at the beginning of the trial about telling people that she would never vote for the DP.
lethalninja
I didn't say he shouldn't have gotten the death penalty, I posted the mitigating factors because I posted the aggravating ones and I previously mentioned there were 41 (actually forty) mitigating factors, but I didn't say what they were.
lethalninja
There were three jurors that voted against the death penalty, but one was more vocal than the others, and she wasn't against the death penalty in general, she was against it for people that are mentally ill.
FireAg
AG
Cool…she's wrong…
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

There were three jurors that voted against the death penalty, but one was more vocal than the others, and she wasn't against the death penalty in general, she was against it for people that are mentally ill.
So she says now. Still curious if this was the same woman who was questioned live in court by the judge.

There were three in the end. ONE who wouldn't even consider the death penalty. And her reason makes no sense. Anyone who kills in cold blood is mentally ill in some capacity. Does that mean that none are DP eligible?

Sad for the families. Like Mr. Hixon said today, being against the death penalty changes when it's your family member who's murdered. Justice was denied. Stop focusing on the monster for a few minutes and go watch their reactions after court. Heartbreaking.

lethalninja
Benjamin Thomas was the juror that said three jurors were against the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, not the juror who said mentally ill people shouldn't get the death penalty. When she said that, she probably meant people that have been diagnosed with a mental illness, not murderers in general.
redcrayon
AG

Many more on Youtube.
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Benjamin Thomas was the juror that said three jurors were against the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz, not the juror who said mentally ill people shouldn't get the death penalty. When she said that, she probably meant people that have been diagnosed with a mental illness, not murderers in general.
I know what he said. She was the ONE who wouldn't deliberate. If she couldn't give the DP, she should have disclosed that in voir dire.
frenchtoast
lethalninja said:

In solitary confinement or general population? Or either one?
I forgot about this thread. That is a good question. I am not sure if I care one way or the other as long as he is away from society.
lethalninja
Do you think he should have less privileges than the other inmates because of what he did? Like no commissary, no library (except for religious books or a dictionary), less recreation time, etc. Or do you not care as long as he never gets out?
ttu_85
lethalninja said:

Take heart a shank is in this punks future.
redcrayon
AG
He'll be evaluated by mental health in prison. If he's not a danger to himself or others, he goes in general population with people with similar sentences i.e. nothing to lose. He's a monster and I'm sure he'll meet lots like himself in prison.
redcrayon
AG

lethalninja
Wouldn't he be in solitary confinement, since he's at risk from the other inmates because he killed children?
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Wouldn't he be in solitary confinement, since he's at risk from the other inmates because he killed children?
Not necessarily. That's definitely not automatic in Florida.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.