Should Nikolas Cruz (2018 Parkland shooter) be sentenced to life or death?

26,078 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FireAg
Invincible Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Am I legitimately the only one who feels like life without parole would be harder to go through than getting a needle?

Three meals a day, an hour of exercise, and as a mass murderer a dozen or so letters a day from women who for whatever reason seem to be very attracted that behavior.
dead
AG
Invincible Aggie said:

Am I legitimately the only one who feels like life without parole would be harder to go through than getting a needle?

Three meals a day, an hour of exercise, and as a mass murderer a dozen or so letters a day from women who for whatever reason seem to be very attracted that behavior.
23 hours a day in a concrete box
lethalninja
According to several articles, this is the deadliest mass shooting in America to go to trial, since a lot of mass shooters commit suicide or are killed by police.
Rattler12
icrymyselftosleep said:

Invincible Aggie said:

24/7/365 in a concrete box 6 feet under ground
lethalninja
Judge Elizabeth Scherer denied the defense's motion for a mistrial.

The defense called for a mistrial because the jury was present during an outburst from a victim's family when a video of the shooting was played at a loud volume.

Lead defense attorney Melisa McNeill objected to the video, depicting Nikolas Cruz shooting into a classroom, calling it inflammatory.

When the video was played on the T.V. in the courtroom, people in the gallery shouted to shut it off. They then left the courtroom, crying.

Judge Scherer said she nor the jury could hear or see the outburst. She added that someone shouting one thing is "not even close to grounds for a mistrial."
Invincible Aggie
icrymyselftosleep said:

Invincible Aggie said:

Your political faction spent the better part of last year plotting the same or worse for vaccine refusers. Cry harder.
1991sir
Not necessarily, what if he gets life without parol. Lives to be 100 and files frivolous law suits on prison because of miss treatment, (because he is allowed to do that, I think we argued about this on Gonzo lopez). I'm sure he could rack up the cost over the years… he needs constant medical care, treatment, procedures, psychological treatment. Could you prove that it's actually cheaper at that point? What's the average death sentence take to carry out?
dead
AG
Invincible Aggie said:

icrymyselftosleep said:

Invincible Aggie said:

Your political faction spent the better part of last year plotting the same or worse for vaccine refusers. Cry harder.
91AggieLawyer
AG

1. Once they get there, maybe, but no one knows that going in. Even those that have been in the joint.

2. Regardless of what is best for THEM, the issue is what is best for SOCIETY. It is best for US to have due process and then justice. In almost all of these cases, there is no doubt the person arrested, charged and convicted actually did the crime. They were arrested at the scene. In cases where they were caught and charged later, and there is some doubt about their guilt, then you can go through the motions in a more deliberate way. But you can't treat both situations as equal.

3. You have to consider the victims. A fair number, though not all, still have fears (reasonable or not) that the perp is going to get out and "finish the job" on them or on their family. Those that testify against him might feel the same thing. ALL of the victims and their families need closure and there is no better way to do it than the death penalty. In 20-30 years, many family members and some victims will be deceased, not knowing what, if anything, happened. For all they know, an activist judge or court let him out on some wild "right" he/they created out of thin air from substantive due process or other supposed legal protections.
Big Al 1992
AG
You wanna stop school shooting. Put this kid to death and televise it. But use Ol Sparky - Green Mile style. That would make at least a few future schools shooters think before acting.
dead
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

You wanna stop school shooting. Put this kid to death and televise it. But use Ol Sparky - Green Mile style. That would make at least a few future schools shooters think before acting.
"If you want to be (in)famous and make it on TV and be immortalized forever, kill a bunch of kids" really isn't the message you want to be sending
IslanderAg04
Capitol murder, kill the ****er.
C@LAg
icrymyselftosleep said:

Big Al 1992 said:

"If you want to be (in)famous and make it on TV and be immortalized forever, kill a bunch of kids" really isn't the message you want to be sending
ah yes. The limp battlecry from the political party that fights tooth and nail at all levels to remove all personal responsibility from everyone.

if government enforced punishments . activities would decrease.
dead
AG
C@LAg said:

icrymyselftosleep said:

Big Al 1992 said:

ah yes. The limp battlecry from the political party that fights tooth and nail at all levels to remove all personal responsibility from everyone.

What
Texarkanaag69
AG
Hanged, drawn and quartered.
C@LAg
icrymyselftosleep said:

C@LAg said:

icrymyselftosleep said:

Big Al 1992 said:

What
exactly.
lethalninja
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs
Not a Bot
AG
There are many tough things about this case.

There are so many deaths and so much medical evidence to go through. Pleading guilty does not absolve the state of their duty to establish a factual record, including establishing the deaths and manner/cause of death. This is going to take a tremendous toll on the families and the jury.

The Florida death penalty elements here are pretty obvious. He put multiple people at risk of death. He carried it out in a premeditated and unsympathetic way. It was particularly cruel in heinous. If he meets any of these aggravating criteria on any of the deaths, the jury weighs the mitigating factors and makes a determination.

In my opinion, there's no way he doesn't get the death penalty unless they come up with some really powerful mitigating factors. Him having a rough childhood, which apparently was the case, is not going to cut it. Plenty of people had a rough childhood and don't walk into a school and shoot a bunch of people.

I am mostly anti-death penalty because I have less faith in the system and police process to get facts and evidence right. In this case though, it's damn obvious what he did and there's no dispute.

I think him being locked up in prison with a bunch of goons for the rest of his life is probably worse than the death penalty. On death row one tends to go crazy from the isolation, but there is a little risk of negative interaction with other inmates. I'd rather this little ***** live in perpetual fear. But that's just me.
ArmyAg97
AG
Central Committee said:

Death.

By Hanging.

In the town square.

Televised.
Slicer97
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

I'm only for the death penalty in instances where it's 100% guilt with zero question... and when that's the case, I want it to happen immediately.

Drag this dude out, shoot him in the head, and bury him in an unmarked grave.
This. This is the way.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JB!98 said:

DEATH. Preferably on the rack in the town square. Stretch him slowly.
Anyone see Braveheart?
PCC_80
AG
Quote:

His sentencing trial started today and is expected to last four or five months.
This amazes me. Why should this last more than a day or so ? ?? I would think that just a couple of hours of why or why not to give him the death penalty would be sufficient. Such of waste of time and resources.
dead
AG
C@LAg said:

icrymyselftosleep said:

C@LAg said:

icrymyselftosleep said:

Big Al 1992 said:

What
exactly.
Great explanation
Texarkanaag69
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

JB!98 said:

DEATH. Preferably on the rack in the town square. Stretch him slowly.
Anyone see Braveheart?
Yeah, he was hanged, drawn and quartered……and oh yeah emasculated as well. As Gus would say, "now that'll shrivel your pod."
TxTarpon
That should have happened the weekend after the shooting.
It was never a "who done it".
aggiehawg
AG
PaulC_80 said:

Quote:

His sentencing trial started today and is expected to last four or five months.
This amazes me. Why should this last more than a day or so ? ?? I would think that just a couple of hours of why or why not to give him the death penalty would be sufficient. Such of waste of time and resources.
State law provides for jury trials on punishment in capital cases. Despite the guilty plea the burden is still on the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt the aggravating circumstances while defense tried to show mitigating circumstances. In this case given the ages and number of victims it seems barbaric to have to put the families and friends through it but it is required.
1988PA-Aggie
First, harvest a few organs...

I'm kind of then waffling between 1-2 years of progressive torture, or...

Medical experimentation lasting the same time...

then when an hour from death...throw him in a field with fire ants and wild dogs...

then whatever is left gets ground up, mixed with poop and urine, and gets thrown in an active volcano.

All of this documented and advertisements of this shown on any dark website that creeps like him frequent.

Aggie Joe 93
AG
Have to always do due process. Removal of any 'suspect's' rights removes them from us all.

Each victim should be respected with a full accounting of the crimes against each of them during sentencing.

It's awful if the recording was a surprise to the gallery. That should have been well communicated ahead of time for what it was.

Death penalty.
Saltwater Assassin
AG
Life in prison

In general population

Tell other inmates he's a pedo.
lethalninja
He's no longer a "suspect," since he pled guilty in October.
No Longer Subsribed
Life in prison without the possibility of parole. Because the way we implement the death penalty costs us more money and wastes more resources and gives the mouth breathers more things to say. Let him and Tyrone become closely acquainted - a lifetime committed relationship.
fixer
lethalninja said:

His sentencing trial started today and is expected to last four or five months. What are your thoughts on what he should be sentenced to?

Option 1. Raffle tickets for a public execution by firing squad.

Allow public to bid on spots for the squad.

Make the family watch.

Then give proceeds to victims families.

Option 2. Woodchipper.
Fairview
AG
For cases like this I think something like Stephen described to Django in Django Unchained is pretty fitting.

"…henceforth until the day you die, all day, every day, you will be swingin' a sledgehammer, turnin' big rocks into little rocks. Now, when you get there, they gonna take away your name, give you a number and a sledgehammer, and say, "Get to work!" One word of sass, they cuts out your tongue. And they good at it, too. You won't bleed out. Oh, they does that real good. They gonna work ya all day, every day 'till your back give out. Then, they gonna hit you in the head with a hammer and throw your ass down the hole. And that will be the story of you, Django."
houag80
AG
Gut shoot him. Let him bleed out....prolong it a little by giving him transfusions of his previously extracted blood.
Burn the corpse and feed the ashes to pigs.

FIFY
Tom Doniphon

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.