Should Nikolas Cruz (2018 Parkland shooter) be sentenced to life or death?

26,079 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FireAg
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Even if the inmate tortured him to death, you would still say it's karma?
FireAg
AG
You can keep throwing up straw man's, bud…ain't gonna change my answer…

He should be put to death…period…
lethalninja
Would you say the inmate shouldn't be punished for killing him, since you said it's karma?
lethalninja
You said he should be sentenced to death, but I'm asking if you think an inmate should be punished if they do the job themselves in a very brutal manner.
dreyOO
I've always felt the killers that hunted and stalked their victims should be released into a big corn field. Tall stalks everywhere. Fenced in, but lots of space. Plenty of food and water.

And give them a full ten minute start over the hungry lions.
lethalninja
What about a Hunger Games between 24 killers until there's one killer left?
Kvetch
AG
lethalninja said:

Would you say the inmate shouldn't be punished for killing him, since you said it's karma?

Extrajudicial killings are not good, no matter how much we hate someone. Not saying I'd mourn the guy or feel bad about it, but prison justice deserves to be punished the same as any other type of vigilantism.

Edit: I guess the article I read about the juror vote was incorrect.
dreyOO
I'd prefer a Running Man ending. Except no Arnold there to break the system.
lethalninja
I agree that the inmate should get some time added onto his sentence if they kill him (like five to ten years and being allowed to plead guilty to manslaughter or aggravated battery instead of murder to avoid a longer sentence), but you think they should be punished the same as a regular murderer?
lethalninja
There were two other jurors that voted against the death penalty (they didn't lie to get on the jury), so that juror wasn't the only reason he got life.
Kvetch
AG
lethalninja said:

I agree that the inmate should get some time added onto his sentence if they kill him (like five to ten years), but you think they should be punished the same as a regular murderer?

I think he should be sentenced according to the sentencing guidelines of the act he commits. I'll leave it in the hands of a judge and jury to determine just punishment.

Also, it's not going to be the guy with 8 months left of time to shank him. It's going to be a guy that doesn't care about another life sentence. So it's not like this really matters.
lethalninja
Would you think it's fair if they were allowed to plead guilty to manslaughter or aggravated battery for killing him instead of murder because of what Nikolas Cruz did? Like if the prosecutor had a very easy case to convict them of murder, but he let them plead guilty to a lesser charge because of who the victim was.
Kvetch
AG
lethalninja said:

Would you think it's fair if they were allowed to plead guilty to manslaughter or aggravated battery for killing him instead of murder because of what Nikolas Cruz did?

Depends on the circumstance, but probably not. That being said, I don't think I'd protest a DA making that decision.
lethalninja
Would anyone here think it's fair if Nikolas Cruz was released on lifetime probation with very strict conditions (with the condition that if his probation is revoked, he would get life without parole) if each of the seventeen families of the victims that were killed agreed to it in exchange for each family getting two minutes to do ANYTHING they wanted to him, and if he survives the 34 minutes, he gets released on lifetime probation? The families would be immune from prosecution for anything they do to him within those 34 minutes.
lethalninja
Would anyone here support the idea I mentioned in the previous post, but instead of lifetime probation if he survives the 34 minutes, he gets life without parole?
FireAg
AG
Your straw man's are getting a little out there, bro…
lethalninja
Those aren't strawmen, I'm just wondering if people would support that as a sentence, since several comments in this thread are about wanting him to suffer. I wouldn't care if that sentence happened to him, but I wouldn't specifically want it to happen.
lethalninja
The only exceptions are Alabama, Missouri, Indiana, Nebraska and Montana. The laws differ in those states, but they are the only five states that don't require jury unanimity in death sentences.
lethalninja
Alabama
WHAT HAPPENS IF JURY CANNOT REACH UNANIMOUS SENTENCE State Can Retry Multiple Times. (Alabama is the only state that permits a judge to impose the death penalty based upon a jury's non-unanimous recommendation of death. Ten votes are required for a death recommendation. If the jury is not unanimous and fewer than ten jurors recommend death, the state can conduct a new sentencing hearing.)

Indiana
WHAT HAPPENS IF JURY CANNOT REACH UNANIMOUS SENTENCE Judge Imposes Sentence (Can Be Death or Less)

Missouri
WHAT HAPPENS IF JURY CANNOT REACH UNANIMOUS SENTENCE Judge Imposes Sentence (Can Be Death or Less)

Montana
WHAT HAPPENS IF JURY CANNOT REACH UNANIMOUS SENTENCE N/A - Judge Sentencing based on jury finding aggravating factors

Nebraska
WHAT HAPPENS IF JURY CANNOT REACH UNANIMOUS SENTENCE N/A - Panel of three judges decide sentence; if the panel is non-unanimous, then automatic life sentence

Every state that doesn't require a unanimous jury for someone to be sentenced to death
lethalninja
Texas has the same rule as Florida, where if there's not a unanimous jury, the defendant automatically gets life without parole.
lethalninja
One of the jurors who spoke to the New York Times is named Andrew Johnson, like the seventeenth president.
Ags4DaWin
lethalninja said:

There were two other jurors that voted against the death penalty (they didn't lie to get on the jury), so that juror wasn't the only reason he got life.

Yeah but the juror who lied to get on the jury gave them reason to say no.

Those 2 could have possibly been swayed had the hard no not existed on the jury to begin with.

Group psychology is a thing.
lethalninja
Vanoy also set the record straight on reports that there was one holdout juror who was set on voting for life before deliberations even began.
"I think the assumption is that because she came to her decision earlier than most that she walked in with her decision," she said. "But during the deliberation…we each had our list of evidence. We organized it in the room so we could each go and easily pull…what we wanted to see."
Quote:

"So she was doing just like everyone else; pulling key parts from both the prosecution and defense that she wanted to look at closely. She just announced…based on what she had seen and heard during the trial as well as what she was looking at on that day that she felt that she knew where her stance was."
That's from Dr. Melody Vanoy. She was one of the jurors that voted for life, but she was undecided at the beginning of deliberations.
Rapier108
lethalninja said:

One of the jurors who spoke to the New York Times is named Andrew Johnson, like the seventeenth president.
And this is relevant because?

For some reason you just seem to want to constantly bump your own threads.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Would anyone here think it's fair if Nikolas Cruz was released on lifetime probation with very strict conditions (with the condition that if his probation is revoked, he would get life without parole) if each of the seventeen families of the victims that were killed agreed to it in exchange for each family getting two minutes to do ANYTHING they wanted to him, and if he survives the 34 minutes, he gets released on lifetime probation? The families would be immune from prosecution for anything they do to him within those 34 minutes.

Dude, MOVE ON!
lethalninja
That post was from five days before you replied, so I have moved on from asking people what they think his sentence should be.
lethalninja
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/wireStory/families-final-parkland-shooter-sentenced-92386920

His official sentencing will last two days and it starts on Tuesday
Rapier108
Why do you keep bumping your own threads, even after being told to stop doing it, and getting banned for it?
lethalninja
I'm not bumping my threads anymore on the Aggieland forum, since I got banned, but the politics forum doesn't care about bumping threads. Also, this case is still going on, so it's still relevant.
lethalninja
Back in 2017, the laws in Florida changed, requiring a unanimous jury to recommend the death penalty. DeSantis said he wants to challenge these laws of requiring a unanimous jury to recommend death, possibly going back to majority rules.
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

That post was from five days before you replied, so I have moved on from asking people what they think his sentence should be.

That's just one of many posts I could have responded to. You were still posting on the day I wrote that. Odd obsession.
lethalninja
On the same day I made that post, dreyOO gave a specific example for what they thought should happen to Nikolas Cruz (being hunted down by hungry lions in a big corn field with plenty of food and water and a ten minute head start over the lions), so I came up with a specific example of my own, since I was wondering if anyone would think my example should happen to Nikolas Cruz.
AggieKatie2
AG
What's the irony for death by firing squad.
lethalninja
It's ironic because he shot and killed several people, and now he's getting shot and killed.
lethalninja
Together, the costs of housing and supervising Cruz in his cell bring the total to $2,595,641, the motion said, according to the newspaper. However, the sheriff's office noted that "the actual costs incurred by BSO for housing Nikolas Cruz far exceed this amount quoted above."

Meanwhile, the state of Florida spent more than $2 million prosecuting Cruz.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.