Should Nikolas Cruz (2018 Parkland shooter) be sentenced to life or death?

26,091 Views | 532 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FireAg
lethalninja
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can they put him in solitary confinement against his will if he gets attacked, even if he would rather be in general population?
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

Can they put him in solitary confinement against his will if he gets attacked, even if he would rather be in general population?
I'm sure they can.
Breggy Popup
AG
lethalninja said:

They can put him in administrative segregation even if he doesn't get attacked if the warden deems it too dangerous or too much of a disruption to be in general population.
lethalninja
Do you think he will be in administrative segregation when he goes to prison, since he previously attacked a guard in county jail and he's a mass murderer?
Breggy Popup
AG
lethalninja said:

Do you think he will be in administrative segregation when he goes to prison, since he previously attacked a guard in county jail and he's a mass murderer?

I have no idea. I would lean toward yes but heck, Dahmer was on a work crew. So who knows?
Catag94
AG
Stone him
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

They aren't going to keep this guy in solitary for the rest of his life. A guy who used to be in the leadership ranks for the Florida prison system spoke about it today in an interview. The mental health folks don't like solitary. A ton of inmates don't behave. There are lots of child killers and abusers in gen pop. Real prison isn't like the movies.
FireAg
AG
By personal request…

Dahmer asked for permission to be in gen pop and it was granted…
Breggy Popup
AG
FireAg said:

By personal request…

Dancer asked for permission to be in gen pop and it was granted…
Yes, but a warden doesn't have to grant it. Hence, I have no idea where Cruz will end up.
redcrayon
AG

SW-14
AG
I think Dahmer expected/wanted to be killed.
lethalninja
According to Dahmer's family, he had long been ready to die, and accepted any punishment which he might endure in prison.
Ags4DaWin
nai06 said:

lethalninja said:

Jaime Guttenberg's father says jury's life recommendation makes next mass shooting more likely
I don't agree with him. I think most people who go out to murder people in this way are doing so knowing they will likely die. I'm not sure the death penalty is really a deterrent to someone who has already decided to carry out such an attack.

No, they don't do it thinking they will die. They do it thinking they will create as much pain and chaos as possible and then become famous for their actions.

Whether they sit on death row for 20 years before they get the needle or whether they sit on death row for 60 it doesn't matter.

The worst punishment for these *******s would be to confound their hopes- a swift death, no glory, no infamy, just a bullet to the head.
lethalninja
A lot of them kill themselves or are killed by police anyways, so they don't care if they die.
eric76
AG
Catag94 said:

Stone him
Yep.

We need community involvement in executions, once again.
lethalninja
Would it just be for the victims' family members/close friends and the surviving victims, and anyone else can watch or would anyone be allowed to participate? I don't think that should actually happen, I'm just curious how it would work. It reminds me of the short story The Lottery.
lethalninja
This is kind of random, but it would be funny if there was a cruise director named Nikolas, cause cruise is pronounced the same as Cruz. Also, Nicolas Cage and Nikolas Cruz sound kind of similar. Their names, that is.
lethalninja
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/08/02/teen-with-same-name-as-parkland-shooter-nikolas-cruz-wants-to-change-it/amp/
Not a Bot
AG
Interview with foreman. One juror with a hard "no" who wouldn't vote for death. Another two jurors ended up voting with her. No reason to keep going because she was not going to change her mind.

depogs
AG
Grave injustice
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.-Thomas Paine
redcrayon
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Interview with foreman. One juror with a hard "no" who wouldn't vote for death. Another two jurors ended up voting with her. No reason to keep going because she was not going to change her mind.

She's the one referenced in the tweets I linked above.
lethalninja
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/parkland-nikolas-cruz-jury-judge-b2202889.html?authId=1*1h3fifb*_a*YWtsTmRzWVVMRExaenJJa1dfSEpLZEdxNTlGTFl1U3pQN3BnNXAtVUh2eXl3LVdPajNSWExsU0N0OVdpX2VDVQ..

I know the link looks incomplete because of the two dots, but it works
Not a Bot
AG
Just heard on the stream of the Waukesha parade case that someone is posting there's another issue involving the jury that the judge will look at today. Allegedly there was a threat to a juror. The threat allegedly came from another juror.
lethalninja
The link I posted in the previous message talks about that, but it doesn't say what the threat was.
lethalninja
"You're going to see outrage and politicians calling for judges to override jurors and go back to something less than unanimous for a death sentence," said Miami defense lawyer Philip Reizenstein. "Mark my words. The Legislature will call for changing the death penalty statute."
AGHouston11
AG
Ags4DaWin said:

nai06 said:

lethalninja said:

Jaime Guttenberg's father says jury's life recommendation makes next mass shooting more likely
I don't agree with him. I think most people who go out to murder people in this way are doing so knowing they will likely die. I'm not sure the death penalty is really a deterrent to someone who has already decided to carry out such an attack.

No, they don't do it thinking they will die. They do it thinking they will create as much pain and chaos as possible and then become famous for their actions.

Whether they sit on death row for 20 years before they get the needle or whether they sit on death row for 60 it doesn't matter.

The worst punishment for these *******s would be to confound their hopes- a swift death, no glory, no infamy, just a bullet to the head.

The Fort Hood Shooter is still breathing air and writing letters to the Taliban government in Afghanistan saying we won!

The world is upside down
FireAg
AG
It sucks that one activist juror was able to sneak onto this jury and proudly deny the families full justice…

This dude deserves the death penalty…he deserves it…if anyone deserves it, he does…

But no, some ***** had to make a political point instead of being just…
lethalninja
There were three jurors that were against him getting the death penalty, but that one was more vocal about it. The vocal one was against the death penalty for mentally ill people, but the other two weren't, they just voted against the death penalty in this case.
lethalninja
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wptv.com/news/parkland-shooting/whats-next-for-parkland-school-shooter-nikolas-cruz%3f_amp=true
FireAg
AG
There was ONE who refused to ever consider or discuss it…

He was getting life no matter what, in her eyes…she would have accepted an infected splinter as a mitigating factor…

That's wrong…
B-1 83
AG
lethalninja said:

Not likely. People doing those types of killings won't let the potential punishment (of any sort) stop them. As a matter of fact, ask any lifer that's been there for 30 years whether they wish they could be killed, and I'll bet they do.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
redcrayon
AG
lethalninja said:

There were three jurors that were against him getting the death penalty, but that one was more vocal about it. The vocal one was against the death penalty for mentally ill people, but the other two weren't, they just voted against the death penalty in this case.
She wasn't just more vocal. She wouldn't deliberate at all. Her heels were dug in from the get-go.

We don't know why the other two voted the way they did. But they weren't unwilling to deliberate.
lethalninja
https://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Florida-school-shooting-defendant-registered-to-vote-in-jail.html
lethalninja
He might have voted in the 2020 election, since he wasn't convicted at the time.
aggiejayrod
AG
Just punishment is David Hogg strangling Cruz to death. That should take 30-40 years and keep Hogg tied up for a long time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.