COVID exponential growth in full swing

111,149 Views | 1213 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texagbeliever
Nitro Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dBoy99 said:

How many days does it take for the pond to be full of lily pads?
Dunno, I am poor at math, but I guess maybe 2 weeks? That is what my model shows anyway
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm conflicted by this thread. I understand how horrible the disease is and how stressful it's been for doctors like the OP who's dealing with the crap on a daily basis. At the same time, this thread is part of the problem with the fear mongering that's been going on, talking in absolutes about a virus nobody knows anything about.
Rexter
Infection_Ag11 said:

Already 14k new US cases since yesterday and by the end of the day we'll have more or less doubled in 24 hours (24k to 45-48k estimate).

Worldwide we'll surpass 500k by tomorrow morning and hit a million sometime early Wednesday. We're still at least a week away from curbing the exconential growth internationally if our current measures work and it's essentially a mathematical and medical certainty we'll hit 10 million cases world wide by the start of next week.

A lot of people are about to get a very disturbing math lesson.

Nailed it
HossAg
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Jesus ****ing Christ. Wake up. We will be LUCKY if it's only a few hundred thousand dead. LUCKY.
IrishTxAggie
AG
B-1 83
AG
Exponents can be decimals.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Must be new math!
IrishTxAggie
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

Must be new math!
Ellis Wyatt
Social Distanced said:

Saying hundreds of thousands are going to die in the US is sensationalism.
Have you woken up yet?
cone
AG
https://reason.com/2020/05/04/trump-administration-projects-200000-american-covid-19-deaths-by-june-1/
BigRobSA
cone said:

https://reason.com/2020/05/04/trump-administration-projects-200000-american-covid-19-deaths-by-june-1/

OK.

And?

He's an idiot, listening to morons.
Nitro Power
AG
If that is the case, which I doubt (more than doubling in less than a month?), then the mitigation practices are ineffective and should be stopped imo.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
30wedge
cone said:

I am not a medical expert, don't play the role of one, hell, I do not even have a white lab coat, but based on this I would figure it is best not to get the virus. And go from there. Don't quote me on it though.
cone
AG
I would tend to agree
cone
AG
I think the point is 6 figure death toll in this calendar year is a near certainty and we're now adjusting to what number is going to be in front of that total

if there's a new normal it'll be that hundreds of people are dying from this everyday (on top of the flu) and we'll get used to it
geoag58
AG
30wedge said:

cone said:

I am not a medical expert, don't play the role of one, hell, I do not even have a white lab coat, but based on this I would figure it is best not to get the virus. And go from there. Don't quote me on it though.

Anytime I see a hockey stick shaped line on a graph, where the sharp increase is out in the future, like I see on these you provided I call bs
Tom Hagen
AG
cone said:

Only if every respiratory death this month is counted as the Chinese virus.
30wedge
cone said:

I think the point is 6 figure death toll in this calendar year is a near certainty and we're now adjusting to what number is going to be in front of that total

if there's a new normal it'll be that hundreds of people are dying from this everyday (on top of the flu) and we'll get used to it
Well, once they include not only deaths from hangnails, struck by meteors, and old age, then the number may skyrocket.
dBoy99
AG
cone said:

Asking for all the rest of us dummies on F16.. Is a "near certainty" the same thing as a "mathematical and medical certainty"?

I am part of the problem.
Kanyes psychiatrist

Biggest scam in American history!!!
NonReg85
AG
cone said:

The article says 100K US deaths by 1 June. That seems like a reasonable estimate given that we're at around 69,000 right now and hovering around 2K deaths per day. It's decreasing for the last several days but it could spike again.
tysker
AG
B-1 83 said:

Exponents can be decimals.
And from time to time they can be equal to sqrt(-1)
tysker
AG
NonReg85 said:

cone said:

The article says 100K US deaths by 1 June. That seems like a reasonable estimate given that we're at around 69,000 right now and hovering around 2K deaths per day. It's decreasing for the last several days but it could spike again.
As I keep saying, from original 'do nothing estimates' of 2.2 million deaths, if we keep deaths under 200k-250k we've done a damn good job of handling the medical side of the problem.
hairloom
HAVE I DIED DUE TO EXPONENTIAL MATH YET?!?!
ham98
hairloom said:

HAVE I DIED DUE TO EXPONENTIAL MATH YET?!?!
Give it two weeks
Nitro Power
AG
Fortune teller now huh?
Kanyes psychiatrist
NonReg85 said:

cone said:

69,000? The CDC just revised the death number to 37,000 which means not even 1,000 people have died from only covid. Biggest scam in history.
JB!98
AG
So picture this, you are a 18 year old Marine that is on a landing craft headed towards Red Beach on Iwo. You know that there is a good chance you will be maimed or worse if you get off that boat. Do you get off? Do you never get off the LST because you are scared? I know a Marine that is now passed that was 16 at the time because he had his parents lie to get into the fight. My Marine grandfather was on a boat to invade Japan when the bombs were dropped. They were willing to take a chance for this country and our way of life.

I think your chances of dying of this disease are much smaller than their chances were at that point in time. Take precautions, wear a mask if it makes you feel better, stay the F at home if you are that sort. Let the rest of us that would have gotten on that Amtrak or Higgins boat get on it.

This country is more important that the whims of those that are scared.
NonReg85
AG
tysker said:

NonReg85 said:

cone said:

As I keep saying, from original 'do nothing estimates' of 2.2 million deaths, if we keep deaths under 200k-250k we've done a damn good job of handling the medical side of the problem.
I agree. Under 250K in a year is a fantastic job. We need to get down to around 600 deaths per day pretty quickly for that to happen. I tend to think we'll get there but if we have another spike from re-opening to soon it may be tough. Let's hope people continue good hygiene as we re-open.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Arguing stats is useless with so much ambiguity in the reporting.
Nitro Power
AG
I keep hearing this argument of "opening too soon". Can someone explain what this even means? What is going to be different or change anything if we open in a month, or two, or three?
Rapier108
Social Distanced said:

I keep hearing this argument of "opening too soon". Can someone explain what this even means? What is going to be different or change anything if we open in a month, or two, or three?
The goal for the Coronabros went from "flatten the curve" to "no one can be sick" before we can come off lock down.

So it is always two more week, a month, 2 months, etc. etc. etc. The truth is, they never want it to end.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cone
AG
I remember when saying we'd be over 100k in the calendar year got you called a doomer

goalposts got moved tremendously in 60 days
cone
AG
floomers went from no way we hit 60k this year to 250k is no big deal and means we did a great job in the same amount of time
Rapier108
Taking a victory lap over people dying, classy dude, real classy.

You Coronabros are just sick in the head.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.