*** SUPERMAN: LEGACY ***

28,435 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With James Gunn's press duties for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 finally complete, he's now shifting his full attention to his next directorial effort - and the first movie of the new DCU - Superman: Legacy, which will be a complete reboot of the character/franchise, and hits theaters in just over two years, on July 11, 2025.

The script, which Gunn also wrote, is complete, and the casting process is now in full swing, which today's article from Deadline details (below), naming a few actors up for various parts (though, be sure that many more names are in the mix). So far, the confirmed roles are, of course, Clark Kent/Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor (who may potentially evolve into "Apex Lex," with the aim of casting a big A-lister), Jimmy Olsen... and Krypto the dog (who I seriously doubt is "super" in this iteration, and will likely simply be either the Kent's or Clark's dog). Gunn has also confirmed that a cast member from the GOTG movies will also have a role in the movie, though I'd be surprised if it's one of the main actors, and Gunn has said the role isn't from the comics.

Re: the Clark Kent/Superman role, Gunn recently said...

Quote:

"It's hard, but we're looking. We actually have some really great choices which I'm excited about, but it has to be somebody who has all the humanity that Superman has, but he's also an alien. It has to be someone who has the kindness and compassion Superman has, and it has to be somebody you want to give a hug. All the Supermen have been good, we just have to add to that story."

Filming is scheduled to start in January, so I would expect all major roles to be cast this summer, with possible announcements coming at Comic-Con on July 22 (assuming news isn't leaked prior, and assuming the writer's strike doesn't interfere).

Finally, the official synopsis, which gives me all kinds of confidence that Gunn is the right man for the job...

Quote:

"Superman: Legacy tells the story of Superman's journey to reconcile his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing as Clark Kent of Smallville, Kansas. He is the embodiment of truth, justice, and the American way, guided by human kindness in a world that sees kindness as old-fashioned."

TCTTS
AG
"Poor" Nicholas Hoult was initially cast as the villain in Mission: Impossible - Fallout - the role that ultimately went to Henry Cavill - but Hoult had to drop out due to scheduling issues. He was also runner-up to play Rooster in Top: Gun: Maverick, and runner-up to play Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Batman. The dude has been so close to landing a career-changing role so many times. Will Superman: Legacy break that streak, seeing as he's in the mix once again here? I could see him nailing Clark, but I have no idea about his Superman.

As for Lois, Rachel Brosnahan is one of the names mentioned and would be an inspired choice, IMO. Channeling a bit of that Midge Maisel energy would be absolutely perfect for the role.

No idea who I want to see as Lex, but it's fun to think about the potential A-lister possibilities...
TCTTS
AG
A few additional details from The Wrap, including that Gunn is possibly looking to cast a black actor for Lex. I also love hearing that Brosnahan is the potential front-runner for Lois at this point...

Sex Panther
AG
They are actually pretty dialed in at Lights Camera Barstool... and they have Hoult on the shortlist for Superman... but as the leading choice for Lex... which I think he would be much better suited for and an absolutely perfect fit

The other three they have listed for Superman are two other British no-names - but they are reporting this guy as the leading candidate... never heard of him but he's got the look and build.

Sex Panther
AG
If they don't give my girl Mrs. Maisel the role of Lois Lane... I will boycott this movie for at least 48 hours
TCTTS
AG
Very interesting. Hoult can certainly play a great (and hilarious) villain. But yeah, my gut tells me Superman ultimately goes to a relative unknown or a Brit.
TCTTS
AG
I knew you'd like that.
wangus12
AG
Bring back Cavill you ****ing cowards
jeffk
AG
Sex Panther said:

If they don't give my girl Mrs. Maisel the role of Lois Lane... I will boycott this movie for at least 48 hours

She's a peach!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if the Guardians actor would be his brother.

Lex Luther has been portrayed by 2 big name actors - Gene Hackman (my favorite in the role by far) and Kevin Spacey. While I was not as hating on Jesse Eisenberg as most were, I think that role needs to be a more mature actor to capture a man of Luther's stature.
FL_Ag1998
AG
That guy SP linked as the leader for Supes looks like a poor man's Cavill.

Brosnahan would be so perfect for Lois that now I'm going to be upset if the don't cast her.

And yeah, my initial guess for the GOTG-Superman overlap actor is his brother but that also seems too obvious.

Really looking forward to a good Lex after that Eisenberg nonsense.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

That guy SP linked as the leader for Supes looks like a poor man's Cavill.

Brosnahan would be so perfect for Lois that now I'm going to be upset if the don't cast her.

And yeah, my initial guess for the GOTG-Superman overlap actor is his brother but that also seems too obvious.

Really looking forward to a good Lex after that Eisenberg nonsense.

This is where I'm at. She never even crossed my mind and now I suddenly won't accept anyone else.
YouBet
AG
I just informed my wife that Superman is being rebooted and that Cavill is out.

Her only comment was: "Is the new person going to have Henry Cavill's body?"

Of course, Im built better than him but I guess she likes a little variety with her eye candy now and then.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Thanks and gig'em
PatAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

They are actually pretty dialed in at Lights Camera Barstool... and they have Hoult on the shortlist for Superman... but as the leading choice for Lex... which I think he would be much better suited for and an absolutely perfect fit

The other three they have listed for Superman are two other British no-names - but they are reporting this guy as the leading candidate... never heard of him but he's got the look and build.

This guy had a role in We Own This City, and he was pretty good in it.

The guy that helped put the tracker on the car and whatnot. Looks a lot different without the swoopy hair
rhutton125
AG
I like Hoult in stuff but he has too much of a ****-baby face to play Superman. The dweeb from the Menu should not be the man of steel IMO.
TCTTS
AG
Oh wow, that's that guy? Yeah, I could totally see it then.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
(Kroll is the one who originally broke all this news, just FYI.)
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Don't be jealous of my Kryptonian guns bro.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Will be watching this thread.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So they fired Henry Cavill to hire... store brand Henry Cavill?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Question - are these movies considered a new iteration of the DCU (or was it DCEU)? If not, should there be a separate thread like the long-running DCU or MCU thread to track not only Superman but the other movies in this version of DC's universe?
YouBet
AG
Do we know why Cavill was fired? I don't recall if we do.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm guessing they wanted a younger actor and to start fresh?

They should frankly recast everyone. It's going to be confusing as heck whenever old actors interact with new actors and we're not sure what's canon anymore.
Thanks and gig'em
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

I'm guessing they wanted a younger actor and to start fresh?

They should frankly recast everyone. It's going to be confusing as heck whenever old actors interact with new actors and we're not sure what's canon anymore.
Yeah, I guess he is 40 or so.
Brandamne
No Cavill No Bueno!
TCTTS
AG
To answer a few questions I'll try and explain the situation as best and as concisely as I can...

When Discovery bought Warner Bros last year, one of the mandates from Discovery CEO, David Zaslov, was to better utilize/maximize the DC characters across film and TV. As new all know, the DCEU - aka "the Snyder-verse" - was on the downslide financially, had an overall negative stigma, and felt incredibly disjointed. So, Zaslov cleaned house and brought in James Gunn and Peter Safran to run DC. Gunn and Safran then decided that the best course of action was to simply wipe the slate clean and reboot the DCEU as the DCU. For a time, we thought that meant that none of the DCEU would survive, but it's now looking like that's not totally the case, as it appears that a few remnants from the DCEU will remain, including Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, the Peacemaker franchise, possibly Jason Mamoa's Aquaman, and maybe even Ezra Miller's Flash, but no one knows for sure. What we do know is that The Flash will be the movie that resets the entire universe, in multi-verse fashion, allowing an "organic" way for the new DCU to come into being... while also leaving the door open for a few old DCEU characters to potentially stick around. Basically, think of it as, like, 95% of the DCEU being rebooted, with room for a few old characters to stick around. Kind of sort of like how J.K. Simmons came over into the MCU, still playing J. Jonah Jameson, but a slightly different version of him. Likely something along those lines.

In particular, Zaslov felt that Superman - DC's crown jewel - was being wasted, and instead of keeping Cavill in the role, Gunn and Safran felt it best to use a new Superman as the jumping off point for the new DCU. Gunn had an idea for a movie, so he wrote the script, and fell in love with the project so much that he decided to direct it as well. As for the Cavill of it all, I know how much some people liked him in the role, but it sounds like the main goal of the new DCU is to be far more optimistic, and offer far more hope, than the dark, drab universe Snyder created. While Cavill certainly looked the part, probably more than any Superman actor ever will, that iteration of the character was just a little too dour and stoic for many people's taste, and again, for what Gunn wants to do with this new universe. So what Gunn is doing instead is going back to the roots of the character, and attempting to give audiences a Superman who displays more warmth and heart, and can be more kind, inspiring, uplifting, colorful, etc. Which I don't fault Gunn for that at all, as that feels like what the character *should* ultimately be. Personally, I think Gunn is going to surprise a lot of people, to the point where this new version of the character will become the quintessential version, but we shall see...
PatAg
AG
I think Gunn is making the right choice, but the studio head deciding to keep bits and pieces of the previous 'universe' is ..interesting.

On one hand, they do have some good renditions of existing characters but it might be needlessly confusing to the general public.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I was definitely hoping for a clean break/completely fresh reboot, and who knows, maybe we still get that. Between Shazam! Fury of the Gods vastly underperforming and the terrible test screenings so far for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, maybe that's enough to say goodbye to the Snyder-verse for good, especially considering they're almost assuredly not going to continue to employ Ezra Miller, no matter how good The Flash is. So at that point it would seem weird to have Viola Davis' Amanda Waller as the only remaining character from "the before times," but I guess when you have an actress of her caliber, you do what you can to keep her around. If so, I'm betting/hoping they J. Jonah Jameson her and just kind of hand wave it away. "Yes, Viola Davis is still playing Amanda Waller in this new universe, she's a different iteration." Something along those lines. Either way, I think the new DCU will feel about as new/distinct/fresh as can be, especially once they introduce The Brave and the Bold, Lanterns, Swamp Thing, etc.
TCTTS
AG
I forgot about Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, but once Gunn and Safran declined Patty Jenkins' outline for a third Wonder Woman movie, it felt like Gadot was probably done as well.
YouBet
AG
If I'm keeping any previous characters it's Gal Gadot. And I'm not keeping Momoa although I like him in most everything. He's just not Aquaman to me.

While Davis is a great actress, she's completely wasted here and easily replaceable. They are overpaying her for this role. All she does is give orders and be angry. Anyone can do that.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think there's ever been a bigger rise and fall so quickly in movies as what DC/Jenkins did with Wonder Woman

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.