*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER *** (Spoiler Thread)

160,626 Views | 1435 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
DB Coach
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks TC....that's a pretty good intrepretation!
wangus12
AG
Oh man someone unloaded on Reddit StarWarsLeaks and hated the film. Granted there was always gonna be backlash, but damn.
twilly
AG
It should also be pointed out that all the spoilers coming out now tie EXACTLY to what JediPraxis posted months ago.
StrykerAg
AG
Is this where I confirm or deny rumors?

test
The Collective
AG
twilly said:

It should also be pointed out that all the spoilers coming out now tie EXACTLY to what JediPraxis posted months ago.

twilly
AG
Yes, spoil away!
StrykerAg
AG
This is the spoiler thread, but *read at your own risk*

Rey is revealed to be Palpatine's granddaughter

Kylo Ren talks to vision of Han

It is revealed Leia trained with Luke and had her own lightsaber, which ghost Luke gives to Rey

Leia and Kylo both die and become one with the Force. We see ghost Leia but no ghost Ben

Rey appears to die after killing the Emperor, but Ben uses the Force to bring her back. Rey and Ben kiss right before he dies.
StrykerAg
AG
Rey buries the Skywalker sabers on Tatooine on the Lars Homestead before pulling out another one (yellow) that kind of looks like it was made from her staff

Rey is confronted by someone at the Lars homestead who asks her who she is. Rey says her name is Rey Skywalker

Every New Imperial Star Destroyer is equipped with what looks like a mini version of Starkiller Base's weapon, making every ISD essentially a planet killer.

Hux betrays the First Order and is killed
wangus12
AG
StrykerAg said:

Rey appears to die after killing the Emperor, but Ben uses the Force to bring her back. Rey and Ben kiss right before he dies.
This one jumps out at me. Does it make any sense in the film? Seems unnecessary
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
There's some stuff in there I'm kinda already rolling my eyes over. Still excited to see it. I know I'll love it initially, but the more I watch it small things will stick out to me.
StrykerAg
AG
wangus12 said:

StrykerAg said:

This one jumps out at me. Does it make any sense in the film? Seems unnecessary

So....

Emperor drained Ben and Rey of their life force to restore himself, so they were both already weak. The voices of Jedi past help Rey get back up and use the Skywalker Sabers to repel Palpatine's lightning back at him and destroy him. Rey collapses. Ben crawls out of the pit he was thrown into and heals Rey, presumably with the last bit of energy/life force he had. They kiss, he collapses and his body disappears like Obi-Wan's/Yoda's. Leia's corpse then disappears too.

I am still processing all of that and the fact that We don't see ghost Ben later, and nobody seems to acknowledge his death after the battle is over.
StrykerAg
AG
Now that I have seen the movie, I finally read through those reddit links from the OP. Most of it is right, a couple details wrong here and there, a couple things dead ass wrong.

One blatantly wrong example I saw was Reddit link says Kylo fights off Knights of Ren unarmed, using only the Force, and then attempts to stop Rey from striking down the Emperor in anger. No. He tries fighting unarmed and gets his ass kicked. Rey uses their Force connection to essentially teleport one of the Skywalker sabers she has to him, and THEN he fks up the Knights of Ren.
wangus12
AG
Out of curiosity, how much does Luke & Leia feature?
rhutton125
AG
Actually doesn't sound bad, assuming those leaks were accurate. I imagine the pacing feels off or things feel hastily cobbled together in live action, but when reading it, it didn't seem awful.
twilly
AG
The full score available for download now on ITunes/Apple Music.
chase128
AG
why are rey and kylo in love anyway? kylo killing han and being a dick in general i guess wasnt a big deal?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
He's the only one she's had a deep connection with maybe? I dunno. Seems an odd choice to me too.
Matt_ag98
Just got out of a midnight screening here in Bagram AFG (thanks USO and Disney) and have to say feelings are pretty meh about it (at least the audience clapped this time, at the TLJ screening no clapping just silence and leaving the theater). The beginning was a fast hot mess but enjoyed the middle, had avoided spoilers so did know about Palpatine granddaughter nonsense, maybe I am just too old to enjoy it now but some of the throwback, Rey/Luke in the "cave" fighting themselves, the emperor talking **** to a young apprentice watching the fleet/friends be destroyed seemed predictable and an easy-out/re-hash. Got me thinking (during the movie mid you) of how much more I appreciate the original trilogy now, even Lucas's merch selling ewoks in RoTJ. Overall I feel underwhelmed
Matt_ag98
wangus12 said:

Out of curiosity, how much does Luke & Leia feature?
I would say a fair amount, also they had to rewrite/show some Jedi backstory, probably to explain special Mary Poppins powers
wangus12
AG
If that means training Leia then I'll take it. Lots of the old Legends books had her at least somewhat trained
ja86
AG
chase128 said:

why are rey and kylo in love anyway? kylo killing han and being a dick in general i guess wasnt a big deal?
chicks love bad boys....
bobinator
AG
I just got out. My short version is that I think I liked it, but it's bad. Just patently absurd, but kind of in a fast and the furious kind of way.
wangus12
AG
Going in. No matter what happens, I'll always enjoy Star Wars, space ships, lightsabers and always having a good blaster at your side. Ready for a ride.
YellowPot_97
AG
Oh my god that was AWESOME!!!
YellowPot_97
AG
F*** Rian Johnson for screwing up the last Jedi. This corrects so much of that pile of *****
wangus12
AG
****ing had a grin the whole time. Yeah the story was rushed but I loved the whole thing. Had damn tears in my eyes at the sunset
YellowPot_97
AG
Very emotional at the end
wangus12
AG
Same. My wife was making fun of me.
Farmer1906
AG
Is this we discuss the movie?

Overall it tied a nice bow, had plenty of fan service, and I can't complain too much. My expectations for Star Wars just isn't high. I enjoyed it. It's much better than the last one, but far from how the MCU wrapped up a few months ago. It's hard not to compare the 2 mega franchises.
homebuildingag
AG
wangus12 said:

****ing had a grin the whole time. Yeah the story was rushed but I loved the whole thing. Had damn tears in my eyes at the sunset

Yep! That was a fun movie and makes me appreciate JJ Abrams finishing the final trilogy!
arrow
AG
What an awesome Star Wars movie! Just needed more Kerri Russell.
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm going to need to process this one for a while, and I can definitely see my opinion changing over time of course, but my initial reaction is one of confusion.

As overstuffed as the movie is, I found myself enjoying it, and about 2/3 of the way through there's a moment where I thought it was about to truly become great, and then they backed away from it, and then used it to send the story in the opposite, safe, predictable direction.

And then the third act was a wild mess.

Plus they never resolved the Finn/Rey thing and that bothered me
EarlyAg07
AG
I think it's this. I'd imagine all this time being so connected you've read each other's thoughts, you'd be close.
EarlyAg07
AG
Did they ever answer what Finn wanted to tell Rey?
AG
I absolutely loved it! I thought Abrams did a great job to end the trilogy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.