*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER *** (Spoiler Thread)

144,080 Views | 1435 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mac94 said:

When did Tie Fighters become capable of light speed? They're short range fighters, always have been. Now all the sudden they're tracking the Falcon on this Hyperspace skipping thing chase and following. That makes no sense.

Vader's TIE in ANH had a hyperdrive. The tech was always there, but I guess the empire never bothered to make their TIE fighter anything other than a carrier based craft.

The First Order TIEs are not the same variant as the Imperial TIEs

They didn't do a good job of explaining it, to be fair.
Saxsoon
AG
Considering a book released before Last Jedi referenced the return of palpatin can we put the bull**** to rest that JJ Abrams pulled this out of his ass at the last minute for just this film

https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/star-wars-palpatine-survive-return-jedi-explained-canon/amp/
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Vader's TIE can jump to light speed.
So could Maul's ship, and it was made at least 35 years before Vader's.

The First Order had hyperspace tracking technology on the big ship in TLJ, why couldn't they put it on some TIE fighters? And Kylo Ren would order his best ships after the Falcon in any scenario because his greatest enemies are always on board. (Klaud and R2D2)

As for hyperspace skipping - it's a trick Poe thought up to avoid the advance in tech by the enemy. It's no less ridiculous than Han jumping to lightspeed to get onto Starkiller base or out of that ship with the rathtars on it.

Also no more ridiculous than Han going a zillion miles an hour right at the Death's Head, then managing to kill the engines, and clamp the ship onto the back of the other's command deck. Nobody heard that noise? Nobody noticed the ship had suddenly gotten significantly heavier? And no more ridiculous than Boba Fett then following them from 30 feet behind to Bespin. He's got a cloaking device, I get it,but you could just see him out the window!
M.C. Swag
AG
It's ridiculous. Especially when the Empire suddenly can install hyperspeed tech into every single skirmish fighter but for "reasons" only built 1 radio beacon to transmit nav data.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
But at some point can't you pick apart everything? Why didn't vader send 250 stormtroopers to recover the death star plans instead of just 12? Why didn't luke just cut jabba's head off to rescue his friends?
PatAg
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Mac94 said:

When did Tie Fighters become capable of light speed? They're short range fighters, always have been. Now all the sudden they're tracking the Falcon on this Hyperspace skipping thing chase and following. That makes no sense.

Yeah, I felt like they should have said something about that. They could have just acted surprised and said, "When did tie fighters start to jump to light speed?" It's a point made in the original movie.

How hard is it to make the conceptual leap that the first order decided to make these ties capable of light speed?
The Shank Ag
May have been discussed already, but really the only thing I didn't like about the movie was shoe-horning some of the previous recorded Leia lines just so she'd have some lines.

The most cringe worthy was the one basically saying be more positive and then the other guy saying "oh yeah, everything is great". Joke missed for me because her line just didn't really fit in the situation.

That and the "never underestimate a droid" that they used then created a scene later just to tie in the line

They handled leia fine, but would have been ok with them offing her earlier and not have to add dialogue that often seemed out of place.
Mac94
AG
Quote:

How hard is it to make the conceptual leap that the first order decided to make these ties capable of light speed?

Guess, for me, because it didn't fit with what was already established. Ties in the OT were small short ranged craft with two small ion engines. That was pointed out in the movie. It seemed that the power needed to go to light speed needed larger engines capable of alot more power. We see that in the PT when Kenobi needs to dock with those two big engines on a ring type device to be able to take his small fighter to Kamino. The extra engines were needed because the small craft had smaller engines and was a short range craft.

The tie design really hasn't changed and the engines remain small so light speed capability, within what appears to be the set rules of the movies universe, doesn't seem possible. It's a small thing but just points that the new powers that be really didn't care about the universe they inherited and just made up crap as they went along.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
some people WANT to nitpick EVERYTHING so they can justify their meh.

Personally I just watch a movie and if I enjoyed the experience I like the movie. Sometimes it wanes upon further viewings and sometimes it actually improves - but not usually significantly from first impression.

my ratings for initial and current impression divided by /

SW - loved it and that never changed 10/10
ESB - loved it and actually it maybe improved as I aged and appreciated the darker tone etc. 9.5/10
ROTJ - loved it but was annoyed over time by the Ewoks, still up there though 9/8

TPM - so happy to have SW back in any form, was willing to overlook Jar Jar but over time it became less and less watchable except the Pod Race and Darth Maul parts. 7/6
AotC - seriously was disappointed and it never improved. a mess. 4/3
ROTS - well it was a bit of a redemption after AotC and I mostly liked it, hasn't changed much. 6/6

TFA - loved it but it waned a bit over the years but I still like it overall 9/8
TLJ - liked it ok but definitely had issues that bugged me more over time and i did not enjoy repeat viewings as much 7/6
TROS - really liked it and even more on second viewing 8/8

RO - loved it from the first viewing never changed 9/9
Solo - liked it quite a bit, some stuff is great, but it waned a bit 8/7

So ranking them now

------------------------great----------------------------
SW - 10 wins tiebreaker on nostalgia factor
ESB - 10
RO - 9
---------------------very good--------------------------
TROS - 8 wins tiebreaker for minimal Ewoks and ending on a high note
TFA - 8 wins tiebreaker for lack of dumb songs and celebrations and no Ewoks or "God-3PO"
ROTJ - 8
Solo - 7
----------------------------ok--------------------------
ROTS - 6 wins tiebreaker for ending with Vader and twin births and not pulling punches and less Jar Jar
TLJ - 6
TPM - 5
---------------------------not----------------------------
AotC - 3

AustinAg2K
People can nitpick any movie. Even Empire had problems you can nit pick on. The thing I've found, though, is that if the movie keeps people entertained, people won't worry about picking it apart. If a movie loses its audience, though, they start to pick it apart fast. To be fair, Rise of Skywalker had a disadvantage to begin with, because a lot of people went in looking for stuff because they were upset with Last Jedi.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

some people WANT to nitpick EVERYTHING so they can justify their meh.

Personally I just watch a movie and if I enjoyed the experience I like the movie. Sometimes it wanes upon further viewings and sometimes it actually improves - but not usually significantly from first impression.

my ratings for initial and current impression divided by /

SW - loved it and that never changed 10/10
ESB - loved it and actually it maybe improved as I aged and appreciated the darker tone etc. 9.5/10
ROTJ - loved it but was annoyed over time by the Ewoks, still up there though 9/8

TPM - so happy to have SW back in any form, was willing to overlook Jar Jar but over time it became less and less watchable except the Pod Race and Darth Maul parts. 7/6
AotC - seriously was disappointed and it never improved. a mess. 4/3
ROTS - well it was a bit of a redemption after AotC and I mostly liked it, hasn't changed much. 6/6

TFA - loved it but it waned a bit over the years but I still like it overall 9/8
TLJ - liked it ok but definitely had issues that bugged me more over time and i did not enjoy repeat viewings as much 7/6
TROS - really liked it and even more on second viewing 8/8

RO - loved it from the first viewing never changed 9/9
Solo - liked it quite a bit, some stuff is great, but it waned a bit 8/7

So ranking them now

------------------------great----------------------------
SW - 10 wins tiebreaker on nostalgia factor
ESB - 10
RO - 9
---------------------very good--------------------------
TROS - 8 wins tiebreaker for minimal Ewoks and ending on a high note
TFA - 8 wins tiebreaker for lack of dumb songs and celebrations and no Ewoks or "God-3PO"
ROTJ - 8
Solo - 7
----------------------------ok--------------------------
ROTS - 6 wins tiebreaker for ending with Vader and twin births and not pulling punches and less Jar Jar
TLJ - 6
TPM - 5
---------------------------not----------------------------
AotC - 3

AustinAg2K
For me:
Empire
Star Wars
Jedi
Rogue One
Phantom
Force Awakens
Last Jedi
Solo
Sith
Skywalker
Clones

Really, the only Star Wars movie I don't like is Attack of the Clones. The end of it is entertaining, but I just can't sit through the first hour and a half.

I also realize a lot of people will think I'm crazy having Phantom Menace as high as I do. When I first saw it, I remember enjoying it because it was a new Star Wars, but I also remember there being a lot of problems with it. As time went by, I started to hate it, though. Mostly because of Jar Jar and the end where Anakin accidently saves everyone. Then I had kids, and they love it. That definitely changed my view on it. I've realized what is great about it is that it introduced Star Wars to a whole new generation, and really expanded the universe. I'm only going based off my own experiences with my kids, but they don't really care as much about Rey and Finn as they do about Anakin and Obi Wan.
Buck Compton
AG
Mac94 said:

Quote:

Guess, for me, because it didn't fit with what was already established. Ties in the OT were small short ranged craft with two small ion engines. That was pointed out in the movie. It seemed that the power needed to go to light speed needed larger engines capable of alot more power. We see that in the PT when Kenobi needs to dock with those two big engines on a ring type device to be able to take his small fighter to Kamino. The extra engines were needed because the small craft had smaller engines and was a short range craft.

The tie design really hasn't changed and the engines remain small so light speed capability, within what appears to be the set rules of the movies universe, doesn't seem possible. It's a small thing but just points that the new powers that be really didn't care about the universe they inherited and just made up crap as they went along.
What about X-wings? B-Wings? They're all small and have hyperspace capabilities in the OT. As for the design of a tie fighter, they have changed. They're now bigger with two seats. Also, it's been 20-whatever years. SOME technological advancement should be expected, especially since the first order needs to buy the new model from all those high rollers on Canto Bight after Luke and the gang blew up most of the old ones.

This is a stupid nitpick that anyone with any semblance of logic can poke holes in. Tracking through hyperspace on a small craft based on what was established in TLJ isn't accurate in TROS, but the capability for a small craft to have hyperspace travel capabilities is you looking for things to be upset about.
Bruce Almighty
AG
People are always going to be more critical of things they don't like.
Ag Since 83
AG
In VII Finn wanted to escape the First Order and get out of the Jakku system without returning to the planet. He accomplished this by getting a pilot and stealing a TIE fighter. It's a fair inference from there that the TIE has hyperdrive
Gangnam Style
AG

John Boyega going on an pretty epic twitter trolling spree right now
titan
S
Buck Compton said:

Mac94 said:

Quote:

What about X-wings? B-Wings? They're all small and have hyperspace capabilities in the OT. As for the design of a tie fighter, they have changed. They're now bigger with two seats. Also, it's been 20-whatever years. SOME technological advancement should be expected, especially since the first order needs to buy the new model from all those high rollers on Canto Bight after Luke and the gang blew up most of the old ones.

This is a stupid nitpick that anyone with any semblance of logic can poke holes in. Tracking through hyperspace on a small craft based on what was established in TLJ isn't accurate in TROS, but the capability for a small craft to have hyperspace travel capabilities is you looking for things to be upset about.
Correct. The TIES having the capability 30 years later is one of the things didn't even blink at, as it seemed likely. X-Wings and B-Wings jump in flight with the Rebel fleet to ambush the second Death Star. They are also doing it in ESB. Just TIES are not.

Since the TIES are larger and different looking, it doesn't offend sensibility the way showing the short-range model doing it would have. In fact, as much as love Rogue One, Krennick's fighters came across as a bit "too ahead" to be in use given what Tarkin's Death Star had aboard. But ROTJ is about 2 years after ANH so it didn't take them too long to upgrade that capability either way.
Saxsoon
AG
Mac94 said:

In rebels there was a prototype Tie with hyperdrive
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Liquid Wrench
I'm completely lost on all the hyperdrive debates. But if the x wings couldn't do all that fancy stuff on their own, how did Luke go visit Yoda in the Dagobah system, or get to Ahch-To (gesundheit)?
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol Idc that the TIE fighters can warp speed but it's not a nitpick to acknowledge the absurdity of plot mechanics that allowed thousands of ships to be rendered "immobile" because only 1 of the thousands had a radio beacon.

The plot was dumb and rushed. Has nothing to do with nitpicks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
It had explicitly to do with the weirdness of the planet. Crazy gravity fields, etc.
canadiaggie
AG
Body By Fisher said:

I'm completely lost on all the hyperdrive debates. But if the x wings couldn't do all that fancy stuff on their own, how did Luke go visit Yoda in the Dagobah system, or get to Ahch-To (gesundheit)?

X-wings do have hyperdrives. Imperial fighters originally didn't, but the First Order overhauled their fleet and put hyperdrives on their TIEs
JW
AG
Tie defenders had them
redline248
AG
Honestly, the hyperdrive on the TIEs shouldn't be much of a problem, at least not compared to the light speed-skipping car chase.
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol and why didn't the "weirdness" of the planet affect Landos fleet?

Lol some of y'all crack me up. There's a "positive only" thread if you want to avoid anyone questioning the movie.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
bluefire579
AG
Thought y'all might find this interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

Post on one of the Star Wars subs that supposedly comes from an inside source. Take it with a grain of salt (no pun intended) as you would with any inside source, but speaks a lot to corporate meddling and a JJ cut that may exist somewhere.
redline248
AG
That reddit post is almost as long as the movie.

I don't feel sorry for JJ
easttexasaggie04
AG
Finally saw the movie last night. Really enjoyed it. I feel like I need to watch it again to soak it all in. However I'm sure I won't and will watch on Disney+ in 6 months.
Flashdiaz
AG
can't really buy into Disney sabotaging (beastie boys reference intended) JJ because of DC. No way they would do this to one of their biggest films of their biggest franchise that they just built a themepark for over 1 director.

The rest about corporate meddling sounds about right. The edit looked choppy and I do recall leaks where the runtime was about 3 hrs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A solid New Years Day with $17M+, which beats out TLJ and Rogue One.

But what's crazy is that TFA made $34M on that day. Literally double.

That movie's domestic run was absolutely ridiculous and historic. Nothing is ever touching that.
exitone
AG
bluefire579 said:

Thought y'all might find this interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

Post on one of the Star Wars subs that supposedly comes from an inside source. Take it with a grain of salt (no pun intended) as you would with any inside source, but speaks a lot to corporate meddling and a JJ cut that may exist somewhere.
Thanks for posting this. I hadnt read this on Reddit yet. Its really interesting and would explain a lot. I thought the two most interesting items were:

The "ending that will blow your mind" was a part of this. Older actors were included like Hayden, Ewan and Samuel and anyone who wasn't animated. The force ghosts weren't meant to be voices because they shot that footage on camera. The actors were in costumes. Rey was supposed to be surrounded by the force ghosts to serve as sort of a barrier between her and the Sith surrounding them.

My source thinks but can't 100% confirm that this is because of China. It's an office talk of sorts. Some VFX people claimed they got a list of approved shades of blue they could use on the Luke force ghosts. Cutting this out was when the bad blood turned into a nightmare for JJ because the movie he was making was suddenly unrecognizable to him in almost every way.

- and -

JJ's original early November cut was 3 hours 2 minutes long.
In January, JJ suggested that they turn this into two films. My source told me this well before Terrio mentioned it in an interview a couple of days ago. When Disney said no, JJ was content with making this 3 hours long.

Seeing all the Force ghosts would have been great. I dont really understand the reasoning for excluding this.

If there is a three hour cut, I would pay $200 for that on BlueRay / 4k. I really want to see this and could fill in a lot of the rushing and gaps that I see as really the only issue with the film.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
******* it. If true, this really pisses me off. What a joke.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Why the heck does it matter to China what shade of blue is used?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.