'It' Remake

59,671 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Proposition Joe
TheDoctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anticipating this more than DT, but I'm hoping like hell both land as best they can.
LisaMarie
AG
Production has confirmed that Bill will stutter in the movie. The theory is for the trailers it has been edited out to make them flow more smoothly.
mhayden
Noticed Bowers getting the knife out of the mailbox... I believe from what I've read we're going to get a really toned-down Patrick Hockstetter (one of King's most horrifying characters ever), but otherwise it seems like the director is staying fairly close to the source material.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Back to the watchlist with you!
JDUB08AG
AG
So I just finished the book and started watching the original movie. Maybe it's because times have changed but the movie is kind of rough so far. Acting is subpar, to say the least. Is it just me?
Ol Jock 99
AG
WelchAg said:

So I just finished the book and started watching the original movie. Maybe it's because times have changed but the movie is kind of rough so far. Acting is subpar, to say the least. Is it just me?
I happened across it last night flipping channels. Let's just say TV has progressed a wee bit from the late 80s.
LisaMarie
AG
There's a part in the trailer that shows Pennywise crawling out of a refrigerator (upside down) which I can only imagine is part of Patricks scene(s). Agree that Patrick Hocksetter chapter is one of the most disturbing I've ever read, mostly because there are actually people like him walking around our planet. Every time i get to his chapter I have to set the book aside and read it another day.
LisaMarie
AG
New Spanish teaser (still english audio) with new footage of pennywise and his voice. I'm HYPED!

Noblemen06
AG
Awesome...great find!
redass89
Eh I'm not sure if I'm sold on this interpretation of pennywise
Presley OBannons Sword
LisaMarie said:

There's a part in the trailer that shows Pennywise crawling out of a refrigerator (upside down) which I can only imagine is part of Patricks scene(s). Agree that Patrick Hocksetter chapter is one of the most disturbing I've ever read, mostly because there are actually people like him walking around our planet. Every time i get to his chapter I have to set the book aside and read it another day.
In my opinion, that chapter is King's single best piece of writing.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redass89 said:

Eh I'm not sure if I'm sold on this interpretation of pennywise
I am looking at this like some did with Jack Nicholson in The Shining. Some said that Nicholson was too obvious to play a guy who goes crazy. By a similar token, this representation of the clown looks a bit too creepy, whereas I always thought the clown should appear a completely friendly clown (as Tim Curry portrayed) - this clown would never lure any kid to him since he looks freakish.

Still, I am going to see the movie. Might even re-read the book.
mhayden
I think the Ledger as the Joker is the best comparison. It will be different, but could be a lot better.

I don't think Nicholson in the Shining is a good comp because as good as he was in Kubrick's vision, it was so far away from the Jack of the book that it's hard to really say it was faithful (though that's more on Kubrick than Nicholson).

I just finished the book again, but it being as long as it is my memory doesn't serve me greatly. The description I typically remember of Pennywise is simply "out of place". He wasn't scary looking, and for the most part really didn't lure kids in that form (aside from the Georgie scene). His whole thing is that he feeds off of fear, so he was more apt to take on the illusion of something scary then to actually trick a child into getting close.

It was never "oh that nice funny clown over there" it was more of a "what was a clown doing there?"

I think what will make or break this version of the movie will come down to whether or not this is a "clown monster" movie, or if this is true to the novel and what is terrorizing each kid is the illusion of their greatest fear and how well that is done. We already know this is the 80s and not the 50s, so we're not going to see Wolfman or the Creature from the Black Lagoon... But aside from the leper, what are we going to see and how well will it be done?

(As an aside, thinking back to the "creatures" in the book made me realize again how King can take something that shouldn't be all that scary... at least to a kid of the 80s... and still write it so well. When Eddie Cochoran gets killed by the Creature from the Black Lagoon... It shouldn't be scary, that creature isn't scary to me... But the way he wrote how Eddie simply didn't believe what was happening and kept "looking for the zipper" right up until the time his head was ripped off was absolutely great. Ditto the hedge animals in The Shining. A lion made out of hedges moved closer to Danny? Who would be scared by that? ****, I was.)
Btron
AG
I get the feeling that this is going to be more clown monster which is not ideal.
And please no main characters with ponytails
zap
AG
It will be interesting to see how they convert the 50's monsters into 80's form. Some of the monsters are timeless (leper, drowned kids in standpipe, werewolf.)

They last trailer I saw showed the lumberjack statue in the background. I wonder if that thing will attack like it did in the book.
TheDoctor
AG
I'm interested to see how they do Mike's bird fear. I don't know how well that will translate. It barely did in the book. And a lot of the kids' fears came from them seeing a movie or from a memory that took a while to explain on the page.
wesag
AG
looks scary on the preview
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

I just finished the book again, but it being as long as it is my memory doesn't serve me greatly. The description I typically remember of Pennywise is simply "out of place". He wasn't scary looking, and for the most part really didn't lure kids in that form (aside from the Georgie scene). His whole thing is that he feeds off of fear, so he was more apt to take on the illusion of something scary then to actually trick a child into getting close.

It was never "oh that nice funny clown over there" it was more of a "what was a clown doing there?"
you're right. early on (maybe even in this thread) I made some comments that Pennywise used his clown form to lure kids over to him, but I recently re-read for the first time in awhile, and really the scene with Georgie is the only scene in which he uses the clown/circus aspect to earn trust. everything else is him just standing around being a weird ass clown in a weird ass place, and the kids wondering why there was a clown there.

edit - so, yeah...basically exactly what you said.
LisaMarie
AG
My favorite part of the book is Ben leaving school late in the winter and sees the clown on the frozen canal ice and It comes towards him and becomes the mummy. It's so creepy and the imagery is so vivid. I hope it makes it into the movie.
NoHo Hank
AG
Does anyone know if this is going to include the adult portions of the book or entirely take place as kids?
Sapper Redux
john32f said:

Does anyone know if this is going to include the adult portions of the book or entirely take place as kids?

Part I (this film) is the kids portion. Part II is the adult portion.
wangus12
AG
They're making 2 films
Sapper Redux
The kids portion of the book is definitely the creepiest. Maybe it's just how vulnerable kids are in general, but it didn't have the same stakes in my mind when the adults faced It. So I'm curious to see how they handle the adult storylines.
NoHo Hank
AG
Thanks, didn't know that
JDUB08AG
AG
Dr. Watson said:

The kids portion of the book is definitely the creepiest. Maybe it's just how vulnerable kids are in general, but it didn't have the same stakes in my mind when the adults faced It. So I'm curious to see how they handle the adult storylines.

The Bev chapter where she goes back to her house as an adult was one of the creepier chapters in the book for me.
Sapper Redux
True. I had forgotten that scene.
mhayden
WelchAg said:

Dr. Watson said:

The Bev chapter where she goes back to her house as an adult was one of the creepier chapters in the book for me.

That scene was actually one of the bright spots in the second part of the TV miniseries with the initially normal looking sweet old lady just ever so slightly starts looking more weathered every time Bev glances at her.
mhayden
Critic embargo until late Wednesday night.

Goddamit -- the UCLA game and now is this movie gonna suck too?
Hincemm
AG
free_mhayden said:

Critic embargo until late Wednesday night.

Goddamit -- the UCLA game and now is this movie gonna suck too?

What does that mean?
TCTTS
AG
Usually, when a studio doesn't allow reveiws to drop until the day before a film's release, it means it's likely a crap movie and the studio wants to delay the negative buzz for as long as they can. That said, I've heard/read nothing but good things about this one. That, and it's poised to pull in $80M+ this weekend at the box office, so I wouldn't look too much into it. I think the buzz is right where WB wants it to be and maybe they just don't want to risk rocking the boat.
TCTTS
AG
Also, Twitter reactions were allowed a while back, which is always a good sign. The ones I saw were almost all extremely positive. Just do a Twitter search for "it movie reactions" and you can find plenty.
mhayden
TCTTS beat me to the reply and is much more knowledgeable on it than I. Here's hoping he's right. I've tried to stay away from things, but from what I've read it's like a Stranger Things movie which makes sense.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This movie will be huge.
Sex Panther
AG
I'm seeing it Thursday and will report back.

This movie is going to be massive. I'm confident that we may be looking at an all timer in the horror genre.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Can't wait to hear. Seeing it Friday night myself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.